Charisma

Fairy and the Frog

Jonghyun sat at attention as Key and Taemin ate their breakfast in the kitchen. The kitchen mice had become much more cordial after yesterday’s confrontation with Key, but Jonghyun was still wary.

When Key first stepped foot into the kitchen he had looked at it appreciatively saying that it wasn’t the fairy kitchens, but that it would do. He had made his way around the kitchen, becoming familiar with the location of everything, and then started cooking. Jonghyun had watched his mate, pretty much enthralled like he was every time Key had an apron on, until he felt the fur on the scruff of his neck begin to rise from the building tension in the room. Turning around with a snarl Jonghyun had found the mice lined up at the end of the counter like an angry mob. The fattest mouse at the head of the group had a rolling pin in his paws and looked to be the one in charge. Jonghyun had snarled again to warn them not to take a step closer when Key had set his hand on his mates head. At Key’s touch, the puppy was given a warning that this was not a time to be over protective so, reluctantly, Jonghyun lowered his hackles. 

Key had walked right up to the head mouse with a smile on his face. He apologized for his poor manners, introduced himself, and then thanked him for the food he had provided over the last week saying that it was absolutely, just, edible. Luckily, the head mouse did not catch the slight since Key was a horrible liar. Then, somehow, Key convinced the head mouse that he missed some of the dishes he was served at home, and that’s why he had started cooking without asking permission. The cook had taken pity on Key’s homesick stomach and then, before Jonghyun knew what was happening, Key had made one of his fantastic stews. After sharing it with all the mice in the kitchen he was enthusiastically granted permission by the head mouse to use his kitchen whenever he wanted.

Thus, it was possible for Key and Taemin to sit happily eating their breakfast, which Key had made, amongst the busy kitchen mice. Jonghyun refused, however, to let his guard down. So, when the head mouse came scurrying over to Key, he let out a soft growl. Key shot him a ‘don’t be stupid’ look before turning to the mouse.

“My Lord Key,” Taemin stifled a laugh at the title and Jonghyun saw Key forcibly keep his eyes from rolling. “Would it be possible, I mean if you’d be so kind, only if you had the time of course, could you, would you spare some of your time in the future, at some point in time‒”

“I would be delighted to show your staff how to cook the stew I made yesterday and anything else they would like to learn while I am here,” Key finally said taking pity on the flustered mouse.

“Thank you, My Lord,” the mouse said bowing away.

“Um, one thing, Master Tub,” Key called him back.

“Yes, My Lord?”

“Please, stop calling me ‘My Lord’. Key is sufficient.”

“Yes, My‒” Key gave him a stern look, “Key.”

Taemin finally let out his laughter once the mouse was out of ear shot, but Jonghyun did not let the fact that Master Tub had said ‘My Key’ go unnoticed. He placed his head in Key’s lap, nudged his nose against what was his, and let out a low teasing growl. Key looked down and blushed. He pushed Jonghyun away crossing his legs and then said under his breath, “That is not what he meant.” Jonghyun just his hand and then laid down smiling to himself. He figured he could relax since the head mouse had shown he was wrapped around Key’s little finger, which was something Jonghyun could relate to.

Once Key got his face under control again, he turned to Taemin, “So, what did you do yesterday, since I didn’t see you until this morning?”

“Hmm? Oh I was exploring the castle,” he said and then there was sudden excitement in his eyes. “Umma! You have to come with me! I found the most, absolutely, fantastic ballroom!” In his excitement Taemin jumped out of his chair and started tugging on Key.

“Alright, alright, I’ll come with you,” Key smiled, “but first, finish your breakfast.”

Taemin looked down at his half eaten plate, “Oh, right.” He sat back down and started shoveling it into his face.

Key smiled at his enthusiasm, “Is that where you were all afternoon then? In the ballroom?”

“Mo,” the fairy prince said not looking up from his plate.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full,” Key scolded.

Taemin swallowed his food and then said excitedly, “No, I was also shown the music room and one of the gardens and the practice grounds!”

“Shown? Shown by whom?” Key voice sounded casual but underneath was a layer of frost.

Realizing his slip up around his over protective Umma, Taemin looked back down at his plate before he quickly replied, “Minho.”

He scoped the rest of his food in his mouth as Key let out a screeched, “What?” which caused Jonghyun to jump to his feet.

Taemin grabbed Key before he could say anything else, “Come on Umma, I’m done eating, so let’s go see that ballroom.”

As Taemin dragged Key out of the kitchen Jonghyun made to follow, but Key stopped him with a glare. The puppy’s tail dropped between his legs knowing full well what his mate meant by that look. Key was blaming him for the opportune moment the frog had to beguile Taemin. Jonghyun watched them walk out the door and then followed only turning in the opposite direction from them once he reached the hall.

Taemin must have turned back at some point and saw the retreating dog because Jonghyun heard him ask, “Where’s he going?”

“He didn’t look well so I sent him back to our room to rest,” was Key’s quick answer.

“Oh. Hope you feel better, Jonghyun!” Taemin called down the hall. Jonghyun wagged his tail to signify he had heard. He made his way up to the room he and Key shared. Once he was inside, however, he shifted into a gnat because his punishment, for allowing the frog an opening, was to work while Key played. Now, he just had to be careful not to be eaten by one of the castle residence as he snooped around for the information Onew wanted.

~

“Minho, Your Highness, you’re not helping,” Thunder stated matter-of-factly. Minho looked up from the book he had been staring blankly at for the past half hour to take in his advisor.

“I’m sorry did you say something?” the frog croaked.

Thunder let out a sigh as G.O. rolled his eyes before informing his king, “You’ve been daydreaming, and judging from the puddle of drool you’ve made, I can only assume it was about that delectable bride of yours. By the way, how did the date go?”

Minho looked at his advisor, slightly shocked, “What are you talking about?”

“I told you before that I know everything that happens in the palace. So don’t pretend like you have no idea what I’m talking about. You took your tasty bride on a walk around the palace and were actually able to engage him in civil conversation,” G.O. said in his usual smug tone.

“I was just showing the brat around. That doesn’t count as a date.”

“No, but telling him that he is ‘the most beautiful dancer you have ever seen’ might constitute as courting,” Thunder said in a matter-of-fact tone, rejoining the conversation.

Minho was starting to feel cornered, “How the hell do you know that?”

“Yesterday you left before I could give you the border report so I happened to overhear your conversation with the fairy prince,” Thunder words faded near the end and he suddenly cocked his head to the side in thought, “Now that I think about it, should I still be calling him Prince. He married to you after all and you are our King. I need to look into this more,” his head came back to its normal position, “You still have not heard that report actually, and perhaps instead of sitting here being useless you should go attend to your other Kingly duties. When is the last time you spoke to the Captain of the Guard? Or spoke personally with the border patrols? Or heard any of your subjects’ pleas?”

“You know a bird was an apt form for your personality,” Minho mumbled.

“What?”

“Nothing, you’re right. I’ve been neglecting my duties since this curse descended on us. I’ll go amend that. But first, what was the border report?”

The answer came from G.O., “The southern border is quiet, although it would be since there King has yet to return. In the west the gnomes are still trying to say that the mushroom patch is part of their Kingdom, while the east is maintaining our trade routes agreement. All is pretty calm, but there are rumors that the dark pixies and shifters are up to something in the mountains which is making our northern troops jumpy. Especially after word of the curse got to them.”

“Well, I better go talk to Captain Seungho and then go visit our northern troops. With any luck I can put their minds a little at ease,” Minho sighed getting ready to hop off.

“But sire! The northern border is a half a day’s travel in your present condition and it is nearly mid-day already!”

“It’s fine Thunder, it’s not like I haven’t traveled there before. Besides spending a night with the troops could only improve moral.”

“But, there are rumors of activity in the north! It would be dangerous for you to spend too much time there!” Thunder was getting agitated as he said this and started fluttering around the east garden.

“Calm down, it’s not like I’ll be going alone. Besides I’ll leave first thing tomorrow morning and be back here before mid-day meal,” Minho croaked over his shoulder as he left in the direction of the barracks.

G.O. stared at the receding figure of the frog, taken aback by the momentary glimpse he had of the King he had sworn to follow, “Wasn’t it his highness and that flaming charisma of his that got us into this mess in the first place?”

“Yes, but what can we do? He’s our King after all?”

“You’re right, besides what could he possibly do that would get us into more trouble than we already are.” At that the two advisors looked at the almost fully bloomed dandelion, the yellow flower a stark contrast against its marshy green surroundings. Letting out simultaneous sighs they turned back to their books, never noticing the gnat nestled among the dandelion petals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys! So I wrote you something and once again didn't wait for my editor to get back to me. She can hurt me later, or laugh at mistakes, or point thme out in her own note. Anyway, I felt bad for making Jonghyun be in the shape of a dog most of the time, thus giving him very little dialouge, so I made the chapter from his point of view. Meanwhile Minho is leaving the palace, what will happen when he's gone? I hope all of you are enjoying this story and please continue to subscribe and comment. It makes me really happy when you do! And once again I am a slow writer so the next update might be a while. Please be patient with me and I'll do my best.