Onew, King of Fairies

Fairy and the Frog

Onew, the King of Fairies, hovered over the floor, slowly gliding back and forth in front of his throne, pondering the decision he had to make and time was of the essence. If he couldn’t make up his mind soon the whole kingdom could be thrown into turmoil, but the problem was in order for there to be peace he had to give up someone who was very dear to him. It was one of those ‘one person or everyone else’ situations and it was seriously stressing him out. 

“Key,” the King of Fairies called to his most trusted adviser.

“Yes, my lord,” the unique voice of Kim Kibum replied.

“I need chicken,” Onew said fervently looking up at his adviser.

Key bowed in acquiesces to his request, hiding a small knowing smile. “Is there anything else you’ll need?” Key asked knowing that the King had come to a decision if he was asking for food. It was like his personal reward system that he had set for himself.

“Um… yeah, I guess you should call for Taemin,” Onew sighed, his wings drooping slightly. Key turned to leave, “But make sure you bring the chicken first,” the King called after him as he slumped onto the throne. Key let out a soft chuckle at his ruler’s priorities. Of course, he wouldn’t have laughed if he had known what it was his ruler had been deciding. If he had known he had been left out of the loop.

After ordering chicken to be sent to the throne room Key flew towards Taemin’s room. The kid was probably still sleeping soundly being one of the few people who didn’t have obligations early in the morning.

“Taeminnie!” Key called bursting through the younger’s door. “Come on, wake up, Tae-baby,” he said flying over to open the heavy drapes.

“Umma,” a voice from under the sheets moaned, “five more min- umph!” He was cut off when a large dog that followed Key everywhere jumped on him. “Jonghyun! You over grown puppy! Get off!”

Key chuckled, “He’ll get off if you get up.” Jonghyun barked in agreement.

“Alright, alright, I’m up,” the sat up with a cute yawn and stretched as the dog moved off of him. “Now why am I up?”

Key couldn’t resist ruffling the younger boy’s hair, “You’re so adorable in the morning.”

“Ummmaa,” the boy complained, “Stop it,” pouting he tried flattening his hair down. Suddenly a shirt was thrown into his face quickly followed by underwear and a pair of pants.

“You might want to hurry and put that on,” Key announced, “Your presence is requested in the throne room.”

“Whaaa! Why didn’t you tell me sooner?!” Taemin jumped out of bed quickly putting on the clothes Key had thrown at him. Waking up his wings he stretched them out and then flew out of his room..

Key looked down at Jonghyun, “And he’s supposed to be our next King.” The dog shook its head at the comment, “Well, we better follow him before he-” a crash was heard from down the hall, “too late,” the feline eyed man sighed flying off towards the sound.

Right, so while Key is helping Taemin untangle himself from whatever or whoever he ran into, I’ll take this time to explain some things. First of all, this is a fairy kingdom so the palace is actually inside a magical tree that’s insides look like at treehouse village, only a lot more elegant. Naturally, the quickest way to travel is by flight since the bridge connection routes are rather circulative and used primarily for the young or non-winged creatures that live in the palace. This means a lot of air traffic which normally is fine because fairies have quick reflexes and can avoid each other. When Taemin is excited or in a hurry, however, he forgets to look where his going and mass chaos ensues. As for why Jonghyun the dog can follow Key with the palace floor plan as it is: he is a fairy pet, therefore he has wings. I should also mention that the place is lit with a soft golden glow during the day and moonlight silver at night and that this effect is accomplished with fairy magic. Last bit of information I have for you is Onew is the King and Taemin is his only child. Oh yeah, and Taemin calls Key ‘Umma’ because Taemin’s real umma died when he was young so, Key has taken care of him. Okay, Taemin has been saved and everything has been righted by Kibum, back to story.

“Appa! Taemin yelled running into the throne room and throwing himself around the King’s neck to give him a peck on the cheek.

“Good morning to you too,” Onew said after swallowing his last mouthful of chicken.

“Appa,” Taemin said warily looking down at the plate of chicken scraps, “What important decisions were you making so early in the morning?”

“Woah, what makes you think I was doing that?” Onew asked trying to hide the plate by pushing it towards Jonghyun.

“Appa,” Taemin said sternly looking directly into Onew’s eyes.

Onew sighed, got up from his throne and motioned for Taemin and Key (with his Jonghyun shaped shadow) to follow him into his study. After telling them to both sit in the chairs opposite his desk he went over and pulled a letter from a drawer. “I received this yesterday evening. It’s a warning from the Swamp kingdom that if I don’t hand over what they want by tomorrow; they’re going to declare war on us.”

“What?!” Key burst angrily from his chair, “Why didn’t you tell me about this?! I’m your adviser, aren’t I? I’m so supposed to be told about things such as this! And instead you made a decision without even consulting with me! About something as important as War! Do you not trust me anymore?” The last question was filled with so much hurt that contrasted with the fury before it. During the fury Onew just sat quietly letting the feline eyed fairy let out all his anger, but at the last question he looked up feeling guilty for the hurt he had caused his trusted adviser and friend.

Onew sighed “It’s not that I don’t trust you-”

“Then why?”

“Because I knew what your answer would be. You wouldn’t accept their demands,” Onew looked down at the letter in his hand.

“What is it that they want?” Key hissed

A tear trickled down Onew’s cheek as he turned to look at Taemin, “They want Taemin’s hand in marriage.”

“ that! We’re going to war! There is no way I’m handing over my Tae-baby!” Key threw protective arms around Taemin.

“Kibum, that’s why I didn’t consult you on this, I knew you’d never let Taemin go.”

“Are you saying you are?! He’s your only heir you Tofu Head, or did you forget that?”

“I didn’t forget that and neither did they. They proposed a combining of the two kingdoms through marriage. They are our neighbors to the north after all.”

“So what! I don’t care they can’t have him!”

“Kibum, we can’t fight them,” Onew’s voice held finality.

Key hugged Taemin tightly to his chest. He knew they couldn’t fight the Swamp Kingdom. The Fairy Kingdom people weren’t fighters, they weren’t made for war and Key knew that if they fought, they would lose and Taemin would be taken anyway.

“Taemin, I so sorry,” the King bowed his head in shame that he couldn’t protect his son. That he had to force his son to marry someone he didn’t know or care about in order to save his Kingdom. “I’m so so sorry.”

“It’s- it’s alright, Appa. I understand,” Taemin’s voice whispered shakily. “Is- Is it mandatory that I go to their Kingdom? Or can I stay here?”

Key looked toward the King a small hope in his eyes, but then Onew shook his head, “I’m sorry, Minnie, but you have to go to them and,” Onew paused trying to hold back tears, “you have to leave by tonight.”

“Well, now I know why you needed the chicken,” Taemin chuckled trying to reduce the tension in the room. Key just hugged him tighter and Onew had tears running down his face. Taemin got up gently removing the strangle hold that Key had on him. He walked over to his father and hugged him tightly, “Appa, don’t be sad. It’s not like I won’t ever see you again. The marriage is going to bring both Kingdoms together after all,” Onew simply clung to his son. He didn’t want to let him go, but he knew he had no choice. “I’m going to go pack now.” Onew nodded his head in understanding and let his son go.

Reaching the door Taemin turned around, “Umma, will you come help me?”

Key nodded as he and Jonghyun followed the brave boy out of the study.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

So here is the first chapter. I'm basically doing this to procrastinate my homework so I hope you were at least a little intertained by in. Anyway, poor Taemin has to go off and marry someone he doesn't even know and Key can't do anything to stop it. :( On the upside Jonghyun is a dog with wings and Onew is a chicken maniac even in fairy form. By the way sorry for the weird point of view switch in the middle (I got lazy and wanted to decribe things quickly). If you at all liked reading this please comment and if you liked it enough to subscribe I'd be super happy. Bye for now!

E/N:

So, since our lovely author at author's notes, I will make an awesome editor's note. Hi, I'm Bre :) I go to college with the author and I'm currently teaching her how to navigate this site so bear with us. I currently have 8 stories that I've edited for my other friend so I've been doing this for a while :) Chances are, I'm going to be the first one that replies to comments because I'm on more frequently than your author, but I'll do my best to reply to everyone. So if you liked the story please comment and subscribe so we don't make the author sad :D