Characters ~ Changes & Personality

Who You Are As A Writer

Ever read a fanfic where the bully changes immediately when they fall in love with the main character?

I mean, immediately.

I have read a fanfic where the main character is bullied by the bully and somehow the bully falls in love with the main character and they changed their "bad" ways. One moment, they are like kicking and punching the main character, the next minute they are like, "I'm sorry. I love you." 

Look, here's the thing. I am completely ok, with the bully changing for the better. But the thing is, people can't change that easily. There is no way that a person can change their personality in a few days. Neither can they change completely. Like a 180 degrees turn.

 

My Point of View:

They can change, but it take time.

It takes time.

It takes time.

The whole point of this chapter is for me to say that people can't change that easily. So don't do it. It's like procrastination. If you have gotten used to it, it's going to be hard to stop. Doesn't mean that it's impossible, but it takes time.

I am reading the story to see how the character would change as they experience the events that happen in the story. I am reading to see how the character grows. I should be able to tell, at the end of the fanfics, some of the changes that the character went through.

 

 

Off to the next topic, personality.

Have your ever seen a character that's like, perfect?

That they are:

-Good looking

-Good personality

-Selfless

-Perfect grades

-Good temper

-Innocent

-Clumsy at times

-Etc.

All together?

Yup, I'm talking about Mary Sues. I'm talking about characters that are "God-like". Like, seriously? There is a human like that? Well, let me tell you this, humans aren't perfect. We are not perfect. If we are then why is there wars? Why is there hatred toward certain types of people? Why is there murders? I mean, the list just goes on and on. There is no such thing as a perfect human being. Unless the main character in the story is not human, like a robot?

We, humans, have flaws. There is always flaws in us and there always will be. Look, a person can be good looking and have a good personality and such. However, there is no such thing as a person that is perfect. For example, the flaws maybe low self esteem, sometimes being selfish, can't make good decision, and gullible. Flaws can't be taken away or they wouldn't be humans.

Selfish, aren't everyone selfish at times their life? Don't tell me that you aren't selfish in any ways. Cause' that's not possible. For example, in the fanfics, who wouldn't want their lover to be always looking at them. For example, in a life and death situation between your best friend and lover, who would you choose? Most likely your lover. Isn't that a form of selfishness?

My Point of View:

You can make your characters seem like they are perfect but there needs to be flaws. They need to seem like they are humans, if the characters in your fanfic are humans! Period.

 

All in all, please make your characters seem like real humans, if they are humans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to comment below and share your thoughts.

Next topic: Titles