The hidden conversation: My Promise to you

When all else fail, Taltal won't

How is he? Did he succeed in his mission? I've walked in circles in my quarters waiting for news from the Prime Minister.

I hope he succeeded, only by then will Tahwan and Ayu will be safe, only by then will everything we hoped, everything that Tahwan was willing to die for, peace, will return here in the palace, in Yuan.

Just the person that I wanted to see. I hear Commander Park ordering my maids to open the doors. He hurriedly walked towards me to deliver the news. And by the looks of his eyes, those sad eyes.. he was out of words. I knew, but still...

"Report."

"The Prime Minister was killed in battle... the rebels will break through. Hwanghu mama, you have to take shelter."

No way. Sabumnim.. You promised. You said you would.. I recall back the last conversation I had with Sabumnim.

He arrived at our meeting place earlier than expected. That's not like him. Was he early mainly because there are things that are troubling his mind, things that are so big and grave, like mine?

"The rebels have crossed the Yellow River. If they're not stopped, they'll threaten the capital." His face never looked this serious before. Is this the end then? The end of the Yuan empire. What will happen to Tahwan if he will know about this. His condition worsens everyday, though he promises us that he'll stay long enough to see Ayu find his Empress.

"I'm told they're quite strong," and brutal.

Is there something that Sabumnim wants to say to me? He looked like he's searching for words.

"If... if I fail to return," Oh no. Not this. Please. This kind of conversation made me feel weak. I felt dizzy, like the whole world is compressing in my vision. Sabumnim caught me before I lose myself.

"Mama.. You have to be strong."

"Daesaengsang.. I.." What am I going to do?

"You can do this. If the capital is threatened, ride north. The Mongol grasslands are vast and empty. You can go there and plan for another day."

I don't know how to respond to this. He's telling us to flee the capital, meaning there's a big possibility that he'll fail in this. That he thinks that it's his last duty, as the prime minister of this country. I don't think I'll be able to manage it without him, now that Tahwan's..

We just looked at each other. How are we going to survive this? What about Ayu's future?

"Sabumnim..." I looked into his eyes and begged, "I don't care about the outcome of this battle, just promise me one thing. Return, and we'll plan for Yuan's future... together."

"Hwanghu mama..." he looked reluctant.

"Paeha is sick, Ayu's still too young to understand. I don't think I'll be strong enough to face this one alone. If anything were to happen to you, I don't—"

"Hwanghu mama, my duty is to ensure your safety, and I won't back away from my duty."

"Your orders are to stay alive," I don't want to let him go. We could just flee the capital this very instant then plan for our return, but I know Sabumnim, he'll never be a coward, he would always fight for the country. "For the emperor, for the crown prince, for me. We will go north, like you said, if that's what you want, but please meet us there."

"I don't—"

"Like I said Daesaengsang, it's an order. And to defy that order, means treason."

Sabumnim was silent for a while, thinking about the consequences of his future actions. When he looked at me again, I knew he will keep the promise that he'll make today.

"Hwanghu mama.. I vow to ensure your safety... as well as mine. And I promise to return back to the capital to be with the emperor. I will do my best to return. I promise you I will."

Unlike what he promised, he will never return again.

 

~~끝

 

dramagirl's note: DAESAENGSANG? is that the proper word for Prime Minister? I just used my hearing skills for that :) Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.