Peg

Once In A Lifetime

“Ahjussi! Are you Kim Hyun Joong?”

                I looked up from the ground to see a young girl with pixy-like features. Pale skin, stringy short dark hair and cold dark eyes.

Wow! It’s really you?!” She said amazed as she looked at me. “Hyun Joong Ahjussi! I never thought I would meet you! This is just-“  She began but was cut off quick by a coughing fit.

Are you okay?”  I asked her concerned.

That’s pretty funny” she laughed before coughing again. “I was going to ask you that.”

I rolled my eyes and offered her a seat next to me. “I’m fine I just had a rough day.”

“What was her name?” She asked knowingly .

I looked at her curiously. “How did you-”

“I’ve been here just as long as you…I was on my way out when I heard your announcement.”

“So you’ve been here…”

“The whole day! I never expected you to be such a romantic.”

                I let out a great sigh. It was early morning, some time around 6:00am. The dark of the night was beginning to break showing a radiant awakening sun. 

So…” she nudged me. “What was her name?”

                I shook my head. It wasn’t that I didn’t want her to know, it was just I couldn’t bring myself to say her name. I didn’t even want to think it; thinking about her was enough. I knew that as soon as I said her name I was going to have to refer to her in the past tense; it would have finalized the fact that she wasn’t coming to meet me. 

Oh, come on! You at least owe me that” she pleaded. “I’ve been sitting here just as long as you.”

I breathed out again. “Why? No one asked you too?”

Her dark eyes popped open. “Why? Why?!” she screeched. “You're my ultimate! And I wanted to see who stole your heart so I could beat her to a pulp”

                She punched her hand a few times making angry faces that had me smiling. We were the only two in the airport except for a few of the kiosk workers. All of the other airline lanes had closed down. All departing flights had left, and only arrivals were coming in. Devon had left almost nineteen hours ago; T.O.P waited around for an hour or two before his schedule called him back. I had spent the entire day hoping to see her radiant brown face running happily towards me. I promised her that I would spend the whole day here if necessary but I didn’t think she was going to actually test me on it.

“So, what is your name?” I asked in English.

Her eyes brightened a little. “Peg.”

“Are you here for vacation?”

“No” she shook her head bashfully. “I came here for another reason.”

“Study Abroad?”

“No, I’m here for a surgery at the hospital” she responded looking to the ground.

I took in a deep breath and ruffled my hair a bit. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing…I’ll be absolutely fine as soon I help you” she answered determined. “So what happened?”

I looked at her funnily. “She didn’t show” I laughed stating the obvious.

“Yeah I got that” she sighed. “But did she say why?” She trailed off before coughing.

“Who cares why? She’s made it pretty clear” I added ruffling my hair around a bit.

 “There could’ve been many reasons why she never came” she said scrunching up her face.

“Or maybe she didn’t want too” I challenged. “I don’t think she wanted to be with me anyway”

“That’s crazy-” she coughed out. “Maybe she just-”

“She’d be here if she did? Wouldn’t you?” I snapped; but then after seeing her sympathetic face I felt bad about it.

 “Wow you're really pessimistic in real life!” She said shaking her head at me. She got up to walk away. “I don’t think you're really Hyun Joong…my oppa would never give up so quickly; especially for a girl he cares about.”

“What else am I supposed to do?” I asked her and she began gathering her bags to leave the airport.

                 

“Did you ever think of going to see her?” She called back. “And did you ever check your phone?”

                I watched her as she walked away. Checking my phone? I kept my phone on constant alert so wouldn’t I have heard her when she called…if she called. I took it out and it showed no missed calls just the voice message symbol. I dialed it and listened to the various unimportant messages until I got to hers.

“Hyun Joong-ssi, This…this is Devon,” She began slowly, choked.  “I know you're probably upset with me and I can’t blame you for not seeing me off but I hope you know how much you mean-”

“Miss, you can’t use cell phones at this time-”

“Okay” she said hurriedly. “Hyun Joong you’ve changed me forev-”

“Miss? The plane is preparing to leave the terminal”

“Give her a second will ya?!” I heard Paije say over the phone and I smiled.

“Please forget me and be safe!” Devon blurted hanging up the phone.

“Time of call 10:58am”the cool answering machine voice said, causing a large smile to spread across my face.

                Devon didn’t hear me, so I still had a chance.