Part 1

Voices Don't Matter

Lies are everywhere... It's gonna be two parts. 

 

    A week had passed since Donghae agreed to tutor the out of control high school ruffian, Lee Hyukjae. All the students - both academically inclined and low below the grade scale - had been talking about how the boy who cannot talk was managing to deal with the one person no one else could. Donghae tried to tell others that Hyukjae wasn't as bad as everyone made him out to be but no one was willing to listen. Sure the guy couldn't understand the basics of math and science, and he was a little over bearing with his actions, but that didn't mean he could not be controlled and taught. Teachers were starting to take a notice in Hyukjae's grades too, having seen them go from a flatline zero to positively failing (but at least he was making an attempt to get some of the work done) What exactly made Hyukjae listen to the silent boy? Was it the boy’s ability to get straight to the point, or Hyukjae’s eagerness to graduate and never come back, or did he simply just develop a soft spot for the boy?

    "Oh come off it Donghae, tutoring that idiot can't be that bad." Sungmin said as he sat down next to Donghae who trying his best to finish an essay that he had due two periods from now. Just because he was number one in his class didn't mean that he shunned procrastination. 

"Are you just going to ignore me or are you going to tell me about it?" Sungmin continued to question the younger. 

Donghae looked up from his computer after he finished typing before signing to his friend. That was how he talked; through sign language and the occasional written or typed text, is how the mute boy learned to communicate and Sungmin, being the lovely best friend that he is, learned how to sign along with him. Both boys had to admit that it was funny when they signed to each other around people they didn't like or when they didn't want people to know what they were talking about because it just left people guessing. 

    "You can't just tell me it was boring without explaining why!" Sungmin whined before he was hushed by the other. They were in the library after all. He leaned closer to Donghae who continued to type away at his computer. "I thought you had the biggest crush on Hyukjae. I thought you would have taken advantage of that." Sungmin whispered, causing the other to turn around and slap him on the shoulder, hard. Donghae, who didn't feel like signing out all that he was thinking about at the current moment, grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil before scribbling down a note for his friend. 

    You can't just going saying that out loud, idiot. What if someone hears you.. and I don't like him; there was just a moment in time where I thought his body was just slightly attractive. 

Donghae pushed the note towards Sungmin who tried to hold in his laughter as he finished reading the note. 

"You liar," Sungmin snickered as pushed the piece of paper back towards Donghae. "You are enjoying tutoring him, I can tell by the look on your face." 

Donghae quickly scribbled on the piece of paper, No I'm really not, before giving the other a look that said the same exact thing. Trying not to be rude to his friend, Donghae politely signed to the other telling him to leave him be while he finished his homework. Since he wasn't going to be meeting Hyukjae in the same classroom as they had been for the past week, he wanted to make sure that all of his homework was done before hand. 

    Three o'clock came quicker than Donghae anticipated as the final bell of the day rang, signifying the horrible torture that was to come. It's not that Donghae minded tutoring Hyukjae because he was getting extra credit and a good review towards his academic application for college, but he minded. Sungmin wasn't completely correct when he brought up the thing about Donghae having a secret thing for the unruly boy he was honored with tutoring, but he wasn't completely wrong either. Donghae was a man of few words, rather literally, but when he saw something he wanted, he made sure to find a way to voice that he wanted it, even if it was only to Sungmin. The mute boy had had a secret thing for Hyukjae ever since the violent boy shoved his bully into a locker and told him to ' off' and leave the poor, shy, and unusually quiet Donghae alone. No one had ever stood up for him before like that besides Sungmin or his brothers and ever since then, he had developed some feelings for the boy. So naturally when his teacher asked if he could help Hyukjae along with his grades he more than gladly agreed. 

    Even though the boy had gladly agreed to tutoring, it didn't mean that he was willing to dedicate every single minute of his free time to it. He did have plans with Sungmin that included endless video games that he had to cancel because Hyukjae wanted to meet somewhere else for their tutoring session. 
   
'Why did I agree to tutor him?' Donghae thought to himself as he walked towards the stadium locker rooms. 'It's not like I need the extra credit or anything- oh my god what if it is because I unconsciously want to see him more?' Donghae questioned himself. He was tired, frustrated, and pissed off because he had to meet the other all the way down at the stadium lockers. Why did he have to accommodate to the failure when he was the one helping the other out. Shouldn't Hyukjae be the one adapt to his schedule? Donghae managed to get there just as everyone was leaving, thankfully, since he was being forced to go inside. He unwrinkled the note that he had placed in his pocket and reread it just to build up that extra hate that he needed to be distracted from the others’... looks.

    Meet me in the stadium locker rooms- wait until the team leaves. I don't need them seeing me with you.

    -Hyukjae

    Donghae walked in and threw his stuff onto a bench before walking around in search of Hyukjae. He silently screamed as a hand came out of no where and pulled him into a bathroom stall. 

"Don't you dare move." Hyukjae whispered into his ear as he continued to hold the other closer than Donghae would have liked. The two waited quietly, Donghae trying to calm his nerves as Hyukjae's warm breath continued to hit his neck. The sound of the remaining players leaving the locker room with a loud bang of the door signaled that they were both safe and alone at last. 

"Get out." Hyukjae said as he shoved the younger out back into the bathroom area. "I thought I told you to wait until everyone was out of the locker room to come in here?" 

Hyukjae hissed, obviously pissed that Donghae came inside before all of the locker room before all of the other boys left. 

"Don't you know how to ing read? The whole point of meeting down here was one: because my last class is down here, and two: so no one ing sees us together." 

Donghae didn't understand the his point at all; the whole grade knew that he was meeting with the boy after school to help him with his marks. 

"Do you think I'm that below you that you won’t even answer me?" Hyukjae continued to rant as the other stomped around ignoring him once more. 

    Donghae starting signing out all different types of obscenities before realizing that Hyukjae had no idea what the hell he was trying to say. 

"What?" Hyukjae asked as he stood further away and watched the boy flail his arms and hands about. The boy was frustrated, not only did he have to now cope with the half hard-on he had but Hyukjae's stupidity as well. 

'Why do I like you, you stupid !' Donghae thought to himself as he signed it to make himself feel better; he got some satisfaction from the other not knowing what he was trying to say. Donghae sat on the ground before covering his face; it was better for him to look at darkness and calm down than Hyukjae and get frustrated. Hyukjae walked over to the boy before pulling his hands away from his face forcing Donghae to look at him. 

"You are really mute?" Hyukjae said, signing out the words as he spoke. "I thought that you just didn't wanna talk to me." 

    Donghae blinked in amazement as his face heated up to a thousand shades of red. If Hyukjae could understand sign language, that meant he understood what he was cursing about. 

'You can sign?' Donghae spelled out as he stood up and faced the other. 'When were you going to tell me that?' Donghae scrunched up his face his anger and frustration before punching Hyukjae in the chest. ',' he signed. 

    "I told you I had no idea that you actually couldn't talk because you can hear just fine. And yes I have the mental power to be able to remember sign language; my grandmother is deaf so we need  some way to talk to her." Hyukjae explained as he followed Donghae back to get his stuff before heading out of the locker room. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to offend you or anything." Hyukjae apologized before Donghae spun around and pushed him against the wall. 

'Shut up before I decide to just leave you to study for your science test on your own tonight.' Donghae had no idea where the sudden politeness of the other came from, but he sure wasn't going to take it; he had to give up his whole free night to help him study and he wasn't going to waste it listening to stupid apologies. 'Are you coming or what?' Donghae signed as he began to walk out of the locker room before Hyukjae shoved his hands in his pockets and hurried out after him. 

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Donghae pushed up his glasses as they began to slide down his nose before bringing his concentration back to his book. Hyukjae, having felt guilty about the whole 'I didn't realize you were really mute' situation, was currently writing down answers to the chapter review Donghae had given him. 

"Donghae I need help," Hyukjae whined as he tapped his pencil against the table. Donghae laughed silently while listening to Hyukjae whine. It was surprising how much he had learned about the other in the past hour of being dragged to his home. Donghae had met his parents, who were on their way out the door before traveling upstairs to see Hyukjae's room with a bed sporting colorful heart covered bedsheets. Not only did Hyukjae's parents seem to care a lot about their sons life, but they also pulled Donghae aside and told him about how smart Hyukjae really was if he wanted to be (the plate of cookies he got was just an extra bonus). "Stop laughing and just help me figure out the half life thing." Hyukjae begged as he turned turned the paper towards Donghae. 

    'Okay the formula for half life is on page 865,' Donghae scribbled on the paper causing Hyukjae to just glare at him. 'Or I could tell you it, if you do something for me?' Donghae wrote. 

"What do I need to do?" Hyukjae asked. 

Donghae just rolled his eyes and wrote down another note on the paper. 'Just look up the formula.' 

"Want a kiss?" Hyukjae asked as he watched Donghae's face turn pink. "I know that's what you were going to ask for. I know that you like me Donghae." Hyukjae teased. "You even signed 'why do I like you, you stupid ' remember?" 

    Donghae flushed, and quickly scribbled down, 'Just look it up,' on the paper one more time before Hyukjae pushed the book off his bed and onto the floor. 

"Oh no would you look at that, no book." Hyukjae shrugged. "Looks like you'll just have to tell me what it is you want me to do so I can get that formula." Hyukjae leaned in closer to Donghae before teasingly stopping inches from his lips. "You better sign fast, pretty boy, because I'm really tempted to do this..." 

It was too late and Donghae's hands were already clutching Hyukjae's shirt for dear life as their lips were pressed together. Hyukjae hummed appreciatively when his tongue managed to coax the others mouth open, giving him the access he unconsciously wanted. Donghae's tongue the other wet muscle eagerly as he felt himself become more confident with his actions; he wanted this more than he realized and now that Hyukjae was giving him the opportunity he decided that he might as well use it (Sungmin never needed to know). 

    "Donghae," Hyukjae moaned as the other’s hands found their way underneath his shirt and the both of them magically found themselves laying against the mattress. "Donghae, what the hell are we doing?" 

Donghae just shrugged before pulling Hyukjae back down for another kiss which he happily accepted. Hyukjae snuck his hands underneath the boys shirt before trailing them up and down the faint outline of abs he felt there. He felt a little different, but it was a good type of different, and it frightened him a bit. Having only messed around with girls before, he didn't realize how much more enjoyable kissing a guy could be; there was no easy battle because Donghae wasn't going to give up his dominance without a fight while the worry of being too aggressive was no longer a problem. 

Hyukjae pulled away causing Donghae to give him a look of annoyance as he sat up. "As awesome as this is," Hyukjae started, "unless this is going to help me study for my biology test tomorrow we really should get back to studying."

    'But I thought we were having fun?' Donghae signed as he let his head rest against Hyukjae's pillows. 'Half life formula is the remainder equaling the original times a half to the time over half life.' Donghae continued to sign quickly and efficiently leaving Hyukjae still sitting on top of him dumbfounded. 'Get off of me and give me the paper.' Donghae signed again as he sighed. 

"Okay." Hyukjae said as he got off the other and bent over the side of the bed to grab his biology book and other papers that he had thrown to the floor. Donghae huffed annoyingly as he watched Hyukjae's ; he wasn't ashamed that his eyes were glued to it when the other was just happily  waving it around in front of him. 'It's not much but I can work with it.' Donghae thought to himself as Hyukjae handed him his paper and a pencil. 

    N=No(1/2)^t/T 
        There you idiot.

    Hyukjae smiled before giving Donghae a thumbs up before going back to work on his questions. The older tried to be positive about doing his work even though he was certain that most of it was wrong. Hyukjae would be content with a nice D on tomorrow’s test, as long as it was passing he wouldn't care. 


Donghae's nose went straight back to his book as he occasionally glanced over its pages to make sure Hyukjae was actually working on the problems he had assigned. Hyukjae tried to concentrate on his work, he really did, because if his science grade didn't improve he would not graduate and the last thing he needed was to be stuck in a school of 'ing idiots' for another year. The rowdy boy found himself slowly straying away from his biology problems as his eyes keeping wandering towards Donghae's face, specifically, Donghae's lips. They were swollen, no doubt from their previous actions, and turned from a slight smile to a tiny pout in a matter of seconds depending on how his story was unfolding. 'What?' Donghae signed as he looked up from his book to find Hyukjae staring at him. 'Need help?'

    Hyukjae placed his pencil gently on his paper before signing back deciding to keep his mouth shut because he was not sure what would come out of it otherwise, and he didn't want to end up sounding like an idiot. "What do you want to be when you're older?" Hyukjae asked. 'A doctor.' Donghae replied simply with swift movements of his hands, 'Why?'

     "I always wanted to be a guidance counselor." Hyukjae replied.  "I thought it would be cool to help people that needed it you know?" he began to explain. "But why would the bully want to help people, huh? But I don't think I've ever beaten anyone up who didn't deserve it; I just save people who are getting picked on." Donghae whacked Hyukjae with his book to bring the other back to reality before pointing to the paper he was previously working on. Hyukjae looked down to continue working on his problems when he seen a tiny note scribbled in the corner. 

    I know. You saved me from that guy who was trying to shove me into lockers, remember? Or did you forget, Hyukjae?

    Hyukjae scoffed, "You still remember that?" Donghae nodded and he tried to hide his face behind the book before Hyukjae pulled it away and grabbed him by the shirt before pulling him closer. 

"What's a matter?" Hyukjae teased as he watched Donghae's face flush. "I just want you to check my answers." Hyukjae held up his paper and smiled before it was torn out of his hands by Donghae and he was shoved backwards onto his bed. 

"Whoa, moving a bit fast aren't we?" Hyukjae asked as he fell back onto the bed. "I didn't even get to ask you on a date yet and you're already trying to get frisky on my bed." 

Donghae kicked Hyukjae before turning the paper around and giving him a thumbs up. "Is it really all correct?" Hyukjae asked as he grabbed the review paper and looked it over and found no red notes from Donghae. "I'm going to do great on this test tomorrow!" Hyukjae said happily. "After school come find me tomorrow and I'll tell you how it went."

    Donghae stared at Hyukjae as he put his things away. 'Why afterschool?' Donghae signed. 'Why not during school? We have classes together...' Hyukjae climbed off his bed and put his books on his desk before leaning up against it. 

"I'm not one to talk much in school; I rather keep to myself, get me?" Hyukjae walked over to Donghae, who was sitting with his feet dangling off of his bed, before placing his arms on either side of the mute boy. "What?" He asked. 

'You don't want people seeing us together is that it?' Donghae signed before grabbing a fist full of Hyukjae's shirt and pulling him closer. Donghae pressed his lips against Hyukjae's one last time before pushing him away and grabbing his bag, making his way down Hyukjae's stairs and out his front door before the other could catch him.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Lee Donghae you tell me right now what really happened or I'm going to... to punch you!" Sungmin signed angrily at his friend as they stood in front of their lockers. 

It was the end of the day and Sungmin was pissed that his best friend had been ignoring him and switching the conversation every single time that he tried to bring up Hyukjae. The fact that he had noticeable scratch marks along his stomach and a well hidden (with his mother's makeup) red mark on the side of his neck made him all the more curious. 

"If you canceled with me to go hang out with some I'm going to be pissed." Sungmin continued to sign as he glared at other students passing by in the hallway, making note that some were gathering and whispering among themselves. 

'I was tutoring Hyukjae last night!' Donghae signed back with equal fervor. 'I was not with some girl!' 

"I knew it!" Sungmin shouted. "I knew you and him had a thing and that's why you weren't complaining about tutoring him!" 

Donghae hastily dropped his books and smothered Sungmin's mouth with his hand before glaring at other kids to tell them to go away.

    Donghae finally got Sungmin to quiet down before bending over to pick up his books when the voices in the hallway got louder and louder. 

'What are they going on about now?' Donghae thought as he went to pick up his last book and a pair of feet stopped right in front of him. 

Donghae blinked and stood up, eyes following the book that was now being lifted off the ground only to see Hyukjae holding it. 

"So I've been thinking about what you said yesterday," Hyukjae said as he continued to hold Donghae's book just out of his reach. "Or more of what you didn't say and I thought it would be nice to come tell you that... know what? Just hold on one second." Hyukjae rambled off before searching his back pocket for a paper which he found successfully; handing Donghae's book back to him, Hyukjae unfolded the paper and smiled proudly when he turned it around to show Donghae the beautiful C+ written in the top right corner of the paper. 

"I passed! Aren't you going to say something? Give me a hug? Celebrate or something?" Hyukjae asked when Donghae stood there motionless. "Oh for s sake; I'll just do it myself then." Hyukjae grumbled before knocking the books out of Donghae's hand and squeezing Donghae in a hug. "You happy for me?" Hyukjae whispered in Donghae's ear. 

    The mute boy simply pulled away from the hug before grabbing ahold of Hyukjae's jacket (he has a thing for grabbing at Hyuk's clothes) and slamming their lips together. The crowd of people in the hallway, that had gathered to watch the infamous Lee Hyukjae come talk to someone for once without beating the crap out of them, went slightly crazy. Some people cheered and clapped, like Sungmin, while others made disgusting comments or simply continued to whisper among their friends. 

Hyukjae slowly pulled away from the kiss, his face flushed, as he tried to compose himself and ignore the fact that everyone was staring at him.