Chapter 2

وجود

ACT THREE
Scene One

 

 

 

 

The rehearsal room.
Glaringly bright lighting and an uncomfortable silence.
All actors remain within their respective groups.
Junghee is sat by a puttering radiator with coffee.
Taemin stands awkwardly with his hands in his pockets.
Kibum looks out of a window at the rain, dark glasses covering his eyes.
On the very opposite corner of the room, Eonsook chats softly with a fellow actress while their manager is seen reading off the play script and falling asleep in short jerks.
Twelve other famous personalities from television and theatre are scattered around the space, none initiating any sort of interaction with another person.

Enter Director.

Director: Ah (bows and speaks loudly) annyeonghaseyo!

Everyone: (mumbling) Annyeonghaseyo…

Director: Ahm… yes, I believe it must be awkward to meet the first time, isn’t it? But please, you’re all going to be in the same play for the next few months. You’ll need to act out exchanges and scenes in the most natural fashion. It would make the process much easier if you all get to know each other well.

Junghee: That’s what I said!

Everyone laughs.

Director: Yes, well, let me start off by saying, I’m very happy to have the opportunity to work with all of you.

An actor: Ah, no, seonsaengnim, the honor is ours!

Another actor: If we could just have introductions though… (fumbles) N-not that anyone here needs an introduction. Just—just s-so we know who is playing who.

Director: Yes, yes, that’s sounds great, why don’t we start with this side? (motions to his right)

Dana: (bows deeply) Annyeonghaseyo, I’ll be playing Celia. (cutely) Please take care of me~!

Junsu: Annyeong, I’m going to be Duke Frederick. (also cutely) Please don’t hate me~!

Everyone laughs once more.

Baekhyun: (bows) Neh, annyeonghaseyo, I’ll be playing the part of Oliver.

Eonsook: (in a bored tone) I’m going to be Rosalind, the Duke’s daughter.

Kibum scoffs and earns an elbow from Taemin.
Eonsook looks over and frowns.

Yeoseob: (grinning) I’ll be the part of Jacques, then.

Kyuhyun: annyeong, I'm casted as Touchstone.

Hyomin: I’m going to be Phebe, please take care of me~

Kangin: I’ll be playing the role of Duke Senior

Taemin: (bows) Annyeonghaseyo, I’ll be Orlando. It’s nice meeting you all.

Kibum: (flatly) Jaques. I’ll be melancholy Jaques.

Junghee: (in satoori) You're halfway there, punk!

More laughter all around.

Seunghyun: … and I’ll be Silvius. Hi.

Director: Excellent, so now that we’re past that, why don’t you all speak with your supposed family members and we’ll… start with a preliminary rehearsal in half an hour. That sound good? (nods to approval) Great, I’ll leave you guys to it!

Exit Director.
Immediately, activity is seen amongst the thespians.
Fathers speak with daughters, lovers shake hands for the first time, brothers greet each other cheerily.
Managers watch on from the distance or, as in Junghee’s case, in unnecessarily.
Soon, a loud hubbub fills the air.
Kibum stays in his corner, listening and observing.

Junsu: (to Dana) So… I’m supposed to be your dad. (shakes head) I’m too young for this.

Dana: (chuckles) It’s OK, oppa, I’m sure you’ll do great.

Yeoseob: Wow, you’re my hyung? Wow…

Baekhyun: (shakes head) Man… I always get cast as a villain, it .

Eonsook walks over to where Taemin is standing.
Kangin tries to follow with intent to speak with her and is received by an unwelcoming hand.

Kibum immediately withdraws farther away at the sight of her approaching.

Taemin: (nods) Wench.

Eonsook: (nods back) Prick.

Junghee: (violently nudges Taemin aside) Sookie! Hi, it’s been so long! I missed you. Why don’t you visit anymore? Ah, look at you, even without make-up you look like a star. So glamorous! And? When's the next movie coming out? I heard it's about a handmaiden falling in love with a minister in the king's court. How scandalous~! What role are are you playing?

Eonsook: I'll send you premier tickets and you can find out~

Junghee: Omo~! (laughing fakely)

They hug warmly and exchange gossip.
Taemin clears his throat and stands beside them, raising a quizzical eyebrow.

Junghee: What. (shrugs) Women stick together.

Eonsook: (grins, then points her chin in Kibum’s direction) What’s with Mr. Dual Persona anyway? Usually he’s talking a mile a minute. Look at him… hiding behind those ridiculous sunglasses. I bet he drank an entire town to an alcohol drought last night. Why’s he avoiding people?

Taemin: (points) If you go down that hallway and take the first right, you’ll find yourself in front of a large mirror. In it, you will see your answer.

Eonsook: (scoffs) Please. That was a long time ago. I’m sure he’s over it by now.

Taemin: You’d be fit for the role of an evil overlord. You wouldn’t even have to do any acting. Just be yourself. In fact, I'm sure if you show up at a kindergarten right now there will be news-worthy havoc, why don't we try it as a social experimen--

Eonsook: Hush, child, adults are about to speak. (starts moving to Kibum)

Taemin: (blocking her way) I don’t think you should. I mean... I don’t want you to.

Eonsook: You can stop protecting him, I’m not going to bite—

Taemin: (seriously) No, I can’t allow it. You want something for your boredom, talk to me, talk to Junghee, but not him. You have nothing to do with him. In the play or outside it. Leave him the alone.

Junghee: Now now, kids, play nic—

Eonsook and Taemin: (together) You stay out of it!

Taemin: (to Eonsook) I said you can’t meet him, matter ends.

Eonsook: (narrows eyes) You’re a possessive boyfriend…

Taemin: (chortles bitterly) If I were his boyfriend at least I’d make him feel the one thing he never felt with you.

Eonsook: Oh really! (folds her arms) And what’s that?

Taemin: Happy.

 

 

 

 

Scene Two

 

 

 

 

Park bench.
Eonsook is sprawled on it, smoking coolly.
Enter Kibum from stage left.
He takes a seat next to her. They look at each other for a long minute.
Then Eonsook resumes smoking.
And Kibum resumes breathing.

Kibum: You picked up some new habits.

Eonsook: So did you (exhales away from him before continuing) I saw your second-last staging. The one where Frank Abagnale Jr. turns into a suicidal soprano. What the was that?

Kibum: Me losing my mind.

Eonsook: (scoffs) Always the joker.

Kibum: (shifts consciously) I-I'm... not...

Eonsook: You mean… (pauses) H-has there been a diagnosis? What doctor did you see? Did you get a second opinion? Bummie, is there any medication you’re taking for—

Kibum: No, no, no, and no. But I see you do have a heart. I’d forgotten.

Eonsook: (putting out her cigarette) Today I was told that you were never happy. With me.

Kibum: Do you need me to confirm it or…?

Eonsook: Yes. Confirm it. Let’s start with that.

Kibum: (looks ahead of himself) How could I have been happy when you weren’t?

Eonsook: Why would you think I wasn’t—?

Kibum: Why else would you sleep with another man?

Eonsook: (shrugs) Because I wanted to. It had nothing to do with you, or that we were in a relationship, or how you made me happiest, or how you proposed to me, asked me to marry you, gave me a ring and everything… and then a week later you were gone. One had no connection to the other. They were two separate incidents.

Kibum: You ing someone else told me you had no value for me. Nothing was ever separate about the two of us.

Eonsook: Aw, man. (shakes head and laughs lightly) Eomma was right. You really are a drama queen.

Kibum: Then tell me something, Sookie. Ever since then have you been happy? Really, truly, happy? With… with that lameass producer guy? Or with the before him? Have you been happy after me?

Eonsook: (vengefully) You know what... yes! Extremely! Never been happier!

Kibum: (blinks, leaning away) Then I don’t need to confirm anything.

The exchanges seems ended.
But one still has questions to ask.
And the other still has answers to give.
They turn to look at one another again, and the questions and answers die in their throats when
they realize nothing is to be gained from asking or replying.
Kibum leans his elbows on his knees, fingers clasped as if in sincere prayer.

Eonsook: (lowly) Why didn’t you ever call me? All these years I’d been waiting. For one word, one… glimpse. I took up terrible movie jobs thinking you’d notice me, at least you’d notice me. Even if I couldn’t see you do it. But you probably never even gave all my billboards a second glance, right?

Kibum: You’re a terrifying person, Sookie. I lost a lot because of you.

Eonsook: (reaches out to clasp his hands) I’ve always loved you. So much. I was ready to spend the rest of my life with you. Bummie, I loved you. You were my everything. How the could you leave me like that?

Kibum: (angrily) The same way you left me.

Eonsook tuts irritably and yanks her hand back.
Their eyes never meet again.
Kibum receives a text. He reads it and walks away.
Exit stage left.
Unbeknownst to him Eonsook takes out a ring from her pocket and slips it onto her finger.
She twists it around, weeping on the park bench for a long time after.

Lights fade out.
Cue sad music.

 

 

 

 

Scene Three

 

 

 

 

A small theatre. Something usually employed for experimental drama.
The kind no one really comes to, except it’s overflowing tonight.
Kibum is the only actor on stage, seated in a chair. A throne.
All lights focus on him, but pendulously.
All sound is dead, except his voice.
It booms. It resonates. It sings.
This is his temple. This is his empire.
He rules it as the incontestable king.
No eye strays from him, no ear remains deaf to his command.

He is a god.

Kibum: My feet will splash mud at her dress. But she won’t walk away. She won’t look away. She won’t say a word. I feel power course through me. My shadows grow arms and my silhouette spikes swords. I could hold her fast until she cries with pain. I could pierce her, I could cut her open, I could slice her as I please. I could hurt her in a thousand ways, planned and unplanned. And she would say nothing. She would do nothing. There’d be no protests.

He leans forward.
His fingers clasp together.
He looks straight at the audience.

The tea steams between us. We share our daily banter with our daily drinks. I could pour it down my throat or down her front. I could burn her with it, splash it onto her face. I could blind her. I could poison her cup and feed it to her. I could fling the saucer at her. I could mark her face with the face of my anger. My eyes would glow red with deceit but she would say nothing. She would do nothing. There’d be no call for help.

He holds a breath then lets it go as a sigh.
A trickle of salt begins to fall from above on a spot at the center of the stage.
It quickly piles.

We run in the park. Her feet fall in a rhythm matching mine. I could run away. I could leave her behind and not look back once. Not think back once. I could wash our future away with the rain or her blood or my deceit. I could pick up a rock and smash her skull with it. I could turn into a monster. I could end her life right then and right there. I could be a beast. I could snap her in half. I could destroy her. She would say nothing. She would do nothing. There’d be no fighting back.

He pauses then shakes his head with a smile.

My feet splash mud at her dress. I apologize and pick her up. Into my arms. I carry her home. The tea steams between us. I get up and sit by her side. Put my hold around her. Rest her head on my shoulder. She makes me feel like I’m home. We run in the park. I keep our paces the same. I smile at her till she smiles back. She is my home. When she tucks her hair behind her ear, when she pulls the blankets up to her nose, when she sings in the shower loud enough to be heard outside, when I buy too much coriander and she scrunches her nose at it...

Kibum stands and walks to the salt, then crouches.
Picks some up in his fist and puts it in his pocket.
Lights stop oscillating, stilling to illuminate a cirle on the floor around him.

I love her. She hurts me. She pricks me. She burns me. She leaves me. But I love her. With everything I am, I love her. In her fright, I love her. In her fury, I love her. In the pain of our seperation, I love her. And it will take my life one day. But I will never ask for hers to replace it. I love her. (hangs his head shamefully) I love her.

Lights out.

(hesitantly) A-and yet...

Lights fade back in.
Kibum looks out into the distance.
At something no one else sees.

And yet leaving her cleaned me. Like being birthed from a second womb. Like an unraveling knot that sat within me for... for so long (clutches stomach and winces) now dissolved by the lye of her unfaithfulness. Her beauty, her charm, her uniqueness, her grace. I have no place for them in my simple heart. In my simple dreams and simple life. I love her. I... (breathily) I want her. (pauses, then hisses) I want her dead. (pauses again, then speaks in a level tone) I want her to survive me. I want... I want so much. And yet so little. I want so much from life and want so little from her that--

He tilts his head up at the ceiling.

I want a thousand things and each want is a knife driving into me. I have a thousand wishes and each one kills me. Gently, carefully, mindful that I feel the blood drip from my head to my neck. But no matter how much I die, I want everything. (with determination) I will not rest until I have everything!

Thunderous applause.
Lights brighten.
Exit Kibum.
Cue solemn music.

 

 

 

 

Scene Four

 

 

 

 

Practice room.
A romantic scene is being rehearsed.
Taemin stands with his script in his hands, fidgeting with a particular line.
Eonsook patiently waits for him to start.
Kibum plays a game on his phone while Baekhyun and Yeoseob share animated chatter near him.
In different corners, other characters are memorizing their lines.
The director asks for silence once the main players are ready.
Dana and Hyomin sit up straight with anticipation.

Eonsook: I pray you, what is't o'clock?

Taemin: You should ask me what time o' day: there's no clock in the forest.

Director: Taemin ssi, maybe tone done the petulance a little?

Taemin: Ah, yae. (does a shallow bow) Chwesonghaeyo.

Eonsook: Then there is no true lover in the forest; else sighing every minute and groaning every hour would detect the lazy foot of Time as well as a clock.

Taemin: Uhh… (reading) And why not the swift foot of Time? Had not that been as proper?

Eonsook: By no means, sir: Time travels in divers paces with divers persons. I'll tell you who Time ambles withal, who Time trots withal, who Time gallops withal and who he stands still withal.

Taemin: I prithee, who doth he trot with—(pauses) Wait what the hell is a ‘prithee’?

Director: (impatiently) It’s archaic for ‘please’ now continue if you can without interruptions, Taemin ssi.

Eonsook: (resuming unconcernedly) Marry, he trots hard with a young maid between the contract of her marriage and the day it is solemnized: if the interim be but a se'nnight, Time's pace is so hard that it seems the length of seven year.

Taemin: Uhm. (frowning) Yeah, uh— Who ambles Time withal?

Eonsook: Can you stop uhh-ing, it messes with my concentration. (continues) With a priest that lacks Latin and a rich man that hath not the gout, for the one sleeps easily because he cannot study, and the other lives merrily because he feels no pain, the one lacking the burden of lean and wasteful learning, the other knowing no burden of heavy tedious penury; these Time ambles withal.

Taemin: Who doth he gallop with—I’m sorry… (throws up hands) We’re talking about time as a dude, how the hell is this considered flirting?! How the hell is this supposed to ?

Eonsook: (sarcastically) Do you want me to say it in a seductive tone for you? Will that help?

Director: Ah, no, they’re not flirting. See Rosalind is a guy. When she meets Orlando in the forest, she presents herself as a man. Eventually she’ll convince him that he’s in love with her in guy form and that they should—

Taemin: OK, whoa, that is ed up.

Eonsook: (lividly) No, it’s not! Taem, you’re such a jerk!

Taemin: (baffled) Wh—?!

Director: Uh, I tell you what, Taemin ssi. Why don’t we try another scene, maybe let you soak in your character some more? Yes. In the meantime, let’s go with Jaques… and yes. Why don’t we try Act Four? (to Eonsook) Rosalind?

Eonsook: OK.

Kibum: (wearily, from his seat) I prithee, pretty youth, let me be better acquainted with thee.

Eonsook: (with a coquettish smile) They say you are a melancholy fellow.

Kibum: I am so; I do love it better than laughing.

Eonsook: Those that are in extremity of either are abominable fellows and betray themselves to every modern censure worse than drunkards. (mumbles) Then again, you’re both…

Kibum: (scowling) Why, 'tis good to be sad and say nothing.

Eonsook: (scathingly) Why then, 'tis good to be a post.

Kibum: (grinds his teeth before speaking passionately) It is the cause, it is the cause, my soul. Let me not name it to you, you chaste stars, it is the cause. (stares) Yet I’ll not shed her blood, nor scar that whiter skin of hers than snow and smooth as monumental alabaster.

Eonsook: (whispering with confusion) B-Bummie…

The players look around, confused.
Junsu draws circles near his head.
Seunghyun mumbles and shakes his head.
The Director steps forward and tries to get a word in.
Kyuhyun holds him back with a finger to his lips.
As if the scene inspires him greatly.

Kibum: (stands, paces around) Yet she must die, else she’ll betray more men. Put out the light, and then put out the light. If I quench thee, thou flaming minister, I can again thy former light restore should I repent me. But once put out thy light, thou cunning’st pattern of excelling nature, I know not where is that Promethean heat that can thy light relume.

Eonsook: (with worry) Kibummie, baby, listen to m—

Kibum: (moves to hold her hands) When I have plucked thy rose I cannot give it vital growth again, it must needs wither. I’ll smell thee on the tree. Oh, balmy breath, that dost almost persuade justice to break her sword! One more, one more. Be thus when thou art dead and I will kill thee… and love thee after. (moves forward and kisses her) One more, and that’s the last.

He puts his hands to Eonsook's neck and tries to choke her.
She panics, flailing her arms.

The rest of the cast experiences delayed horror as they rush forward to stop Kibum.
Taemin reaches him first.
There is no struggle.

Taemin: (prying Kibum away) Hey, hey, breathe. Remember to breathe. Listen to my voice and breathe, OK Kibum? Can you do that for me? Breathe… Hey, look at me (turns Kibum around, cups his face) Look at me and breathe in slowly... good. Now breathe out. That's good, keep doing that, you're OK. You're OK. (hugs him tightly) I have you, you're OK...

Eonsook: (rasping, clutching ) What the is wrong with him?!

 


Once again, As You Like It and Othello do not belong to me (duh-uh~) No copyright infringement intended.

So there, Kibum is going nuts and it's freaking people out.

~IQ