Chapter 1

وجود

ACT TWO
Scene One

 

 

 

 

Right half of stage.
Two men are heard speaking French.
A set of keys jangle while turning in the lock.
The lock turns ominously loud.
The door clanks and bangs against a stone wall.

Thunder rumbles outside.
A mad wind blows through the building.
In another part of the hollow prison, more men are conversing indistinctly.

Prison Warden: (in French) You sit here. You do not open the door. You do not pass him anything.

A dimly-lit prison cell.
Two men are seen looking at each other with immense dislike.
One is on the floor, the prisoner.
Another sits in a comfortable chair, the detective.
They’ve been running in circles for months.
Now they’ve finally met.

And one sounds like he's dying.

Kibum: (hoarse coughing)

Taemin: Aw... Jesus.

Kibum: (violent coughing)

Thunder rumbles again.
The patter of water dripping elsewhere indicates a leak.

Kibum: (violent coughing continues, turning into retching )

Taemin: You know, I've got a little bit of a cold myself. (bends to look at the other) Frank...

Kibum: (still coughing)

Taemin: I'm here to read the articles of extradition according to the European Court for Human Rights. (takes out a book and begins to read) "Article One: Extradition shall be granted in respect of offenses punishable under the laws..."

Kibum: (weakly) Help me.

Taemin: (indifferent) "...for the maximum period of at least one year of a severe penalty."

Kibum: Help me.

Taemin: Frank... stop it.

Kibum: (persistently) Help me.

Taemin: You don't actually think you can fool me, do you?

Kibum: (raspy coughing)

Taemin: 16 pages to go. Stay with me. (reading) Article Two: "If the request for extradition includes several separate offenses each of which is punishable under the laws..."

Kibum: (falls to his side with a thud)

Taemin: "of the requesting party..." (pauses and looks) Frank? Frank?! (leaves his seat to inspect the other) Goddamn it! Get me a doctor in here!

Staff outside bustles, speaking French.

Taemin: (yelling) I need a doctor!

Prison Warden: (with confusion) Yes.

Taemin: Doctor! Now!

A gurney is wheeled in from stage right.
There is a crowd growing.
Some guards watch on while others yell orders in French.
Hanratty heaves Frank onto the gurney and holds his hand on the way out.

Taemin: Don't sweat it, Frank. We're going to get you right to a doctor.

Prison Warden: (motioning for Hanratty to stay back)

Taemin: (stops following the procession) Frank, if you can hear me, don't worry! I'm going to take you home in the morning. Home in the morning, Frank!

Prisoner and guards exit stage left.
Light dims towards Hanratty then fades to black.

Left half of stage.
It is a hospital ward.
Burningly bright lights.
Detective strolls to and fro.
The sound of running water is heard.
A nurse tends to the new patient.

Taemin: (impatiently) What are you doing?

Nurse: Washing off the lice.

Taemin: This man has to be on a plane for America. He has to see a doctor.

Nurse: (coolly) The doctor comes in tomorrow.

Taemin: (stalks forward and hisses) I have worked too long, too hard for you to take this away from me. If he dies, I'm holding you responsible.

Kibum: (abruptly sits up and starts singing)

I can’t take no more of this
This nightmare has to end
In this god forsaken place
Death would be a welcome friend

I could pay a crooked guard
To kill me, yeah, that’s it
Better that than sixteen years
Dyin’ slowly bit by bit

All I did was rob a few stores
Justice here don’t fit the crime
I’ve been broken by the devil
Justice is a waste of time

I won’t get to Heaven
Why not raise a little Hell

Taemin: (dumbfounded)

Nurse: (also dumbfounded)

Lights flicker, then suddenly go out.
Exit all.

 

 

 

 

 

Scene Two

 

 

 

 

An office.
A tetchy woman sits behind a large table.
The two actors from before are many feet apart.
Taemin fumes in the middle of the office.
Kibum lounges casually on a side table.
There are strings running between them. Red strings that signify one’s anger toward the other. Blue strings that symbolize one’s apathy to everything.

Junghee: What the hell, Kibum, what the hell?!

Kibum: (studies his nails)

Taemin: (grinds his teeth) Kibum, there are people demanding refunds. If you have the balls to up a show, at least have the balls to be answerable for it!

Junghee: This is the fifth time in the same month! You've turned D'Artagnan into an escaped felon, your Algernon talks like the Prolitariat and your Stalin began to swoon like a love-struck homoual in the middle of an important scene! Then you go and do this! (with her head in her hands) And here I was thinking we’ll make it through one decent play without any mistakes. Just one, why is that too much to ask for?!

Kibum: You’re working me too hard, so it’s your fault. (twirls a finger in the air) All of this is.

Taemin: (spluttering) T-this...! This is bull! Listen here, Kibum. You can dunk your career in the water as much as you like, you , but don’t drag mine with you. I wasn’t born naturally talented like you or anything.

Junghee: He’s right, you know. You can sabotage yourself all you want but—(pauses) Wait, who says he’s naturally talented?

Kibum: (thinks for a bit then shrugs)

Taemin: (to Junghee) that you are, if you’ve ever read a newspaper you’ll know that this one... Choi Minjung from the Maeil Sinbo has a huge crush on your (makes quotation makes in the air) discovery. She’s been coming to all his performances and rating them very high in the entertainment section.

Kibum: Ah~ So that’s why we’re always sold out…

Junghee: (nodding) Media’s definitely powerful…

Taemin: (slaps forehead)

Junghee: (placates) OK, OK. So the problem is what brought us all this popularity can also yank it away. Understood. (to Kibum) Listen, if you love your job you won’t pull any more insane stunts like that again. It's not good for business, and you'll fall flat on your face. Particularly now, when I have the biggest offer for you, yet. Both of you. (motions to a folder on the table) I'm serious, this is a huge deal. You boys have never seen anything like it, I'll bet on my lif--

Taemin: (disinterested) What, they’re bringing back The Three Musketeers but with a special twist? They're doing Collaborators and this time Stalin dies?

Junghee: Any more lip from you and I’ll send you back to Waiting For Godot! (smiling coyly) Noooo~ it’s something special. Something everybody knows about since school. A little thing called As You Like It.

Kibum: (skips off the side table) Shakespeare?!

Taemin: My ears are ringing. Tell me my ears are ringing and you didn’t just say Shakespeare.

Junghee: (nods) I did. The production team called in just last night to ask for available dates. It's good pay, it's a nice theatre. KBS Hall, in fact. So expect an army of cameras, heh~ Cast is looking fantastic so far. I checked, and you’re both open. They’ll take you… (glares at Kibum) as long as you don’t switch between Frank and Clyde in the next staging.

The suspended strings fall off.
Lighting changes to a cheery tone.
Taemin and Kibum run towards each other and dance in circles.
They comically sing I Could Have Danced All Night.
Junghee sits back and watches with satisfaction.
The celebration continues for many minutes until she begins to speak over their raucous singing.

Junghee: (clearing for attention) Taemin you’ll be Orlando, congratulations. You’ll get your script next week. Start preparing in advance if you can. And Kibum, you don’t have a very big part… but it’s important.

Kibum: What?

Taemin: What?

Both: What is it, what is it?

Junghee: (smiles wide) You’ll be melancholy Jaques.

Kibum: (sinks to his knees, hands raised dramatically) I will create… history.

Taemin: (kicks his thigh playfully) Drama queen.

Junghee: Oh and since it’s a big production house they’re casting all the big stars. Movie stars, even. I can’t believe you boys will be sharing the stage with names like that. You know Lee Eonsook, don’t you? She’ll be Rosalind. Be excited, Taem, you get to have a romance with the iest actress in Korea. I know of men who would kill to be in your shoes right now. They'd literally knife you (suddenly alarmed) oh my Hades, I think we'll have to call off the presscon till much later, what if we get haters and antis and what if... (continues to ramble)

Kibum: (blinks dumbly) The …

Taemin: (looks at him) Dude…

Lights fade.
Cue sound: scraps of eight-bit ring tones, recorded voice messages, telephonic conversation.
Heard for a long minute then diminish.

Exit all.

 

 

 

 

Scene Three

 

 

 

 

A park bench.
Illumination from a single streetlight falls on the two men that share it.
They also share a bottle of soju.
It clinks against Taemin’s rings when passed to and fro.
Kibum finishes its last few sips by himself, then opens another.
The only other sound, is that of barking strays.
Neither has said a word yet, for one is hesitant and the other is still struck speechless.
When the conversation finally begins, it is halting and cautious.

Taemin: How many years has it been?

Kibum: Six.

Taemin: You never spoke in this time?

Kibum: No.

Taemin: Has she ever tried to—

Kibum: (shakes his head) Oh, no.

Taemin: (pauses) You sound scared…

Kibum: (laughs) I’ve been scared since the day I knew her name. But… yes. In a time like this I should be scared, right? I should be running for my life.

Taemin: Did she break your heart that bad?

Kibum: (laughs again, louder) She did more than break it. She put it in the garbage disposal and sent it to the sewers. She snapped it out of me and flushed it down the toilet. , she made me feel the worst about myself.

Long contemplatory pause.
A car skids by and Kibum jumps at the sound.
He really is scared.

Taemin: Yah… (squeezes the back of Kibum’s neck) If you want out, I want out. Shakespeare or not, I’m not doing this without you. I mean, you don't exactly seem OK to me at the moment. All those mistakes in the live... maybe a little rest is just what you need.

Kibum: (pitiably) I can’t do that to you. This is your dream.

Taemin: Our dream. And we can dream a little longer till it's ready to be realized again. We're already famous, who's in a hurry?

Kibum: (skeptically) You have to be joking. We’re thirty-year-old clowns. (shifts in his seat) Taem, the only reason we started theatre in school was to do Shakespeare one day. Don’t you remember? Don’t you remember what you said to me backstage that time we did Pygmalion in college and the crowd went nuts? This is… (gesturning between them) this is the biggest gift anyone could ever give us. This is to die for, why would you give it up?

Taemin: (quietly) Why would you?

Kibum: (sighs) You keep asking, one day I might just tell you.

Taemin: That’s what I’m hoping for. (looks intently at the other, then snorts) She’s with someone else now, you know? That’s what the papers say. Some greying squid who produces Joseon movies and dramas. They call her a gold-digger.

Kibum: (shakes his head) That poor bastard. She’ll him dry.

Taemin: Haha, I guess so. Ay, speaking of (grins) How was she… ? You know. In bed and stuff.

Kibum: (pinches Taemin’s thigh) ert.

Taemin: (whines and elbows the other) Come on~ I haven’t had any in so long. I feel like I’m about to burst from all this frustration. Give me something. Anything. You don’t even have to spell out the details. Just… just say something dirty.

Kibum: You are a sick bastard.

Taemin: Yah, don’t act all high and mighty. As if you wouldn’t do the same in my place. How many times have I given you the play-by-play on my extra-curriculars and ? And I know for certain you've beaten a couple off to that, don't even think about lying to me. I've been to your house. I've experienced the smells. Where do you get off telling me about... (goes on)

Both stand through the argument.
Exit left of stage.
Simple string music is heard.
Lights fade.

 

 

 

 

Scene Four

 

 

 

 

The theatre.
A play has just ended and its set is still up: the inside of an airplane.
It is after-hours. The place is unoccupied and undisturbed.
Kibum sits in the seat he last filled before curtain call.
He is deep in thought. And as he continues to think, a new set of strings begins to rise from the floor.
Pink, this time. A million of them, perhaps. Too many to count.
They make a mesh before him.
A mesh of memories and reminiscences.
He closes his eyes and leans his head back.

Two voices are heard talking.

Kibum: Leave the dishes. I'll do them later.

Eonsook: Just putting away the leftovers. Won't be too long. Why don't you go to bed, sweetie?

Kibum: (sounds of a poured drink) Why are you fooling with someone you don't even like? Is it to get me jealous? Because you know I'm jealous. I think I make it painfully clear. (a long pause) Are you serious about him? 

Eonsook: I don't want to discuss this right now. Go to bed. (loudly clicks her tongue) And stop drinking, will you? You had more than enough earlier.

Kibum: Why'd you invite him tonight? Why did you make me go through that? You were flaunting him to everyone like he was your boyfriend not me. Like you'd left me for him but I was the last person to know... (hoarsely) Why'd you do it, Sookie? Why are you doing this to me? What did I do wrong that I have to suffer like this?

Eonsook: (grinding teeth) Stop drinking and go sleep. We'll talk in the morning.

Glass is heard shattering against something.

Kibum: You're driving me up every wall in this house! I'm-- I can't think straight anymore with what you're doing. Am I... (breathing hard) Am I not good enough for you? Are you tired of seeing my face already? Have I become stale news for you to share in your so-called elite circle of friends? Are you done with me? Are you--(pauses, then softly) are you going to throw me out of your life?

Eonsook: Baby, don't--

Kibum: I keep waiting for this to blow over. I keep waiting for you to open your mouth and say the words. "Go away, Kibum, and don't come back." I am expecting the end before it's in sight. This has become my life. I keep sitting at the edge of my seat and I'm so scared, Sookie, I'm so scared that you'll stop loving me, that I--

Eonsook: Bummie, what are you on abou--?

Kibum: (yelling) Choose him or me!

Eonsook: (splutters) W-what are you even saying, I...

Kibum: You know perfectly well what I'm saying! You have to choose, Eonsook. And if you can't, I'll do it for you!

Eonsook: Stop threatening me, I can do it too!

Kibum: You already do! You've hung a million knives above my head!

Eonsook: You're being unbelievable! How many times should I repeat myself?! I already told you, I don't love him at all! I'm just--!

Kibum: Oh, I'm unbelievable now?! I can't even look at you when you're like this! Do you even hear yourself talk when you defend all this as some sort of experiment... (goes on)

Bickering continues and starts to fade.
The pink strings have been unraveling from their suspesion hooks for a while now, and soon they are all fallen to the floor.
Kibum stares at the pile of them, hoping they'll rise back up of their own accord.
He waits a long time.
Then he stands and walks to them, slowly coiling them around his palm with a smile.

Kibum: All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts... (shakes his head with a chuckle) All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players.

Lights go out abruptly.
Exit Kibum.

 


As you can tell, there are some excerpts from Catch me If You Can and Bonnie and Clyde used here in scene one. The rights to the same don't belong to me, and I intend no copyright infringement.

I'd almost given up on this entry but then I thought wth. Hope the play format isn't confusing?

~IQ