I promise

Can you hear me?

Thankfully, all of that happened on a friday so I hadn't to face him through the whole weekend. I woke up early with all my face feeling strange for crying so much and immediately gone to the bathroom to wash it. As the fresh water ran through my face, his words we're echoing in my head. "That's why you're my bestest friend." Of course, I was always a friend. I feel like I had build the prettiest sand castle in the world, and now a storm came and teared it apart. I looked in the mirror: why I thought that he had the same feelings as me?

Oh, I remember now... It was those little things like "Goodnight my Riri" and that warm smile that kept me hanging and created a small spark of hope.

I got downstairs in silence, as always, with steps so light as a feather. I saw mom in the kitchen taking care of breakfast and tried to surprised her with a backhug (oh, how I needed one).

- Good morning, Hyeri. Did you slept well? - my mother said before I was able to tangle my arms around her waist, but it turns out the surprised one was me. With a sigh, I backhugged her and stayed on that position for some time.

- What is it, sweetie? It is something bothering you? - she asked in a concerned tone. Once again, my mom was the only who read through me. I took my arms off her waist and sat at the table, waiting for the toasts to be made.

- Tell me, was it something at school? Well, it can't be, you were in a good mood yesterday when you came home... So, it has to be Namjoon. Am I right? - she said, clapping her hands and smiling. She's like my personal fairy godmother, always knowing how I feel, always staring at my soul. I shook my head, and started nibbling at a toast.

On that afternoon, while I was trying to study, I heard the familiar noise of Namjoon's friends at the front of his house. Soon it disappeared, but came back a while after through his window. I tried to concentrate, but even music couldn't calm me down... 

"All those days watching from the windows
All those years outside looking in
"

Even the lyrics of the music that I was listening at that moment were mocking me... I heard them laugh, but I could clearly know which one was his laugh, and that felt like music to my ears. I closed my eyes and rest my head on my hands while hearing his voice. I couldn't care less of what they're saying, I wasn't even paying attention to that. I just wanted to hear his raspy and low voice that bewitch me everynight.

Suddenly, the laughs stopped and I opened up my eyes annoyed. That was a sign that I should study. As I was lifting my head up, I heard Yoongi ask:

- So, you're gonna say it to her? - puzzled, I forgot my study and only paid attention to their conversation.

- Yeah, man. I'm sure about what I'm feeling and I know she feels the same - this time, the sound of his voice was making my heart beat faster instead of calming me down.

- What about Hyeri? - I heard Jin ask. - I thought that you two...

- We what? She's just a friend. And I really like Sarang... - I could sense from his voice that he was blushing while the tiny spark of hope that I had left completely disapeared.

- Uhhhh, our Namjoonie is in love - I heard Hoseok laugh. - So, can I keep Hyeri to me?

- Yah, paws off her, you dog! She's my precious friend!

- Hyung... You can't have all the women in school - I heard Jungkook sigh, and they're back to laughing.

Then, I was sure that I was entering the bitter fase of my first love, like I've read in my books. My world, that was bright and colourful because of him, has turned to the way it was before: dark, cold, lonely. Everything fell apart, now every tiny bit of hope was gone.

After that, I didn't show up at school for a week. There was several attempts from Namjoon to talk to me, like throwing peebles at my window, and even knocking on my door just to check with my mom how I was. Such a fake concern. I just wanted him to leave me alone, I don't want to see him with Sarang, who's like the prettiest girl in school. I feel like I'm Ariel, and now I'm turning to sea foam, since my love was stolen by another girl. Now I'm gonna disappear from his life just as fast as I got in.

Two months has passed since they got together and now it's January, like the calendar states, but my heart has felt a winter for a quite long time. Soon, all the nights that we spent awake talking about everything and anything, listening to music, gazing the stars, were gone. In the beggining, he left little notes on his window saying that he would be late and I waited faithfully for him, just to notice that he never showed up, and now even those notes had disappeared. I'm so stupid, if he has a girlfriend it's normal that he wouldn't care about me, even if I'm his "bestest friend", as he said. At school, when we meet on our ways, he always looks away from me with a blank expression. I'm just a mere nuisance in his life, a nobody and he doesn't bother to show it, and that hurts. So much. He'll never smile at me ever again, just to his precious Sarang. That warm smile that was once mine, now it's hers. It must be karma for not letting him in for four years straight.

On the school canteen, I always watch him and his friends having fun with her, laughing loud and cracking jokes, and today wasn't different. I just sighed as I look to the scene that was in front of me.

- What's happening, Tinkerbell? - it was one of my new friends, Kim Ae Ra. She took a seat in front of me and started munching on some french fries. I took my notebook out of my bag and wrote her a simple answer.

"Nothing. Just sighing. Thinking about the tons of books I have to study for exams."

- Yeah, right. "Studying" my . Do you think I didn't noticed that you're like that because of Mr. Lovey Dovey and his pack? - I blushed and looked away, she was right. Am I that easy to read? - Aish, you give me such an headache... Why don't you tell him the truth? - I looked at her, puzzled. - For God's sake, just tell him that you like him!

"Why? Why would I do that? He doesn't even care about me, and he's happy with Sarang..."

- Wrong and wrong - this time another voice joined us. Na Shin Ji, Aera's best friend and now my friend. - He's not totally happy, I can feel it in his aura... - oh yeah, she likes to examinate auras. We're a bunch of weirdos that got together at some table by the hand of destiny.

- Right? I thought so too! - and yet, another new voice joined us, Yang Ye Na. Now our pack is complete: these are the girls that I'm holding on to, they always try to make me smile and care about me. - Have you already told him about your "vow of silence"? - she asked. After hearing (or better, reading) my story, none of them liked to think that I'll be mute until the day I'll die, so they think of it as a temporary vow. I just shook my head and lowered it, while writing.

"It's of no use. He would pity me, or even worse, get away from me like everybody else..."

- Well, we're not "everybody else" - said Aera, pouting. - I'm sure he'll understand just as we did - I smiled, thankful for having them on my side.

Suddenly, our table was immersed in silence as I looked confused to their panicked faces. Do I have a spider on my head or something? After a few seconds, a hand of a guy was on my shoulder and I could feel his hot breath on my ear, as he whispered:

- Don't worry, we don't like her too. We're all pretending - the owner of that voice was Hoseok. - There's something fishy about her, but he won't tell us and always says that he's happy with her when he looks like he just want to break up. Try talk to him, please... - and he build up some space between us. - Oh, by the way, I know about your secret - as he said this, he pointed to his mouth, suggesting that he knows that I'm mute, making my heart skip a beat...or maybe two. - Don't worry, your secret is safe with me! - he finished with a smile and got away just as suddenly as he appeared.

- I KNEW IT! - Shinji screamed from the top of her lungs after making sure that he was gone. - Hyeri, you need to talk to him... It's your chance to make him change his mind.

Nervous, I bit my lip and started to look for my pen, until Yena stopped me.

- You just have to tell him how you feel and about your "problem". Everything's gonna be alright, I'm sure of it - she said with a smile, trying to encourage me. As I was starting to write my answer, Namjoon and Sarang got up from their table; they were holding hands as she was at the front pulling him around. He was smiling, until our gazes met and he was wearing that blank expression again.

"I think... I'll try it tomorrow..."

~x~

It was weekend and I lied to the girls... I haven't tried, and "tomorrow" was like two days ago.

I was studying in my room until I saw some strange movement in front of Namjoon's house. It was Sarang and him, and it looks like there's something wrong: they're fighting. I can't understand what they're saying, since my window is closed due to the cold weather, so I could only try to understand what they're saying through their body language. She stomped her feet, and waved her arms in the air, making a scandal, while Namjoon seemed calm and wasn't making a big deal out of it. Then, after pointing her finger with a threatening look in her eyes, she was gone and he entered his house. Hoping that he would show up on his window, I waited for him. And I was right.

He noticed me right away, and looked with that blank expression that he was treating me with for quite a time and then changed to his usual warm smile. The smile that I thought I'll never see again.

"Hi Riri. Missed me? :)"

It was like nothing happened, and everything was back to normal. My heart was beating like crazy, and my head was only filled with thoughts him, him and only him.

"I'm sorry for that scene... It was quite a show, don't you think?"

He held up his sketchbook looking a bit embarassed. I would be on that state if it was me, too...

"Yeah, I just regret not having bought a ticket to the first row kkkk :P"

"Look, I'm sorry... I know I've been a jackass to you, but it was all her fault... She put me in quite a problem... I just noticed it a month ago."

"I know and I won't forgive you"

Seeing his panicked and sad face made me laugh. Even if you just used me throwed me away, I would forgive you...

"I was joking around, of course I forgive you :) But what happened, Nammie?"

"I can't tell you... I can't involve you in this."

Suddenly, my cheeks blushed as I held up the next message:

"Did you get her pregnant? O.O"

His cheeks were as red as mine, and he shook his head vigorously.

"WHAT? NO, ARE YOU CRAZY?! I'M ONLY 18."

But I wouldn't mind being the mother of your child, even if we're 18...

There was "silence" after that, both of us were to shy to say anything, until he finally wrote something.

"Can I open the window?"

I read mentally what he wrote on his sketchbook. He took it from the window to write another thing bellow that:

"So that we can talk."

Oh my gosh, what do I do now?

I took my very own sketchbook and started to write something. What would I say to him? I can't explain my "problem", he'll keep his distance like other people do, I'm sure. But if I reject his proposal, he'll get mad and forget that I exist and won't talk to me ever again. A shadow pulled me away from my thoughts, and I looked up.

- I'd love to hear your voice - he said, standing on the other side of my window.

What am I gonna do now?

I opened the window a little hesitant, and let him in. It's too cold to stand outside.

- Nice room - he said as he touched some books on the shelf. I just nodded, since I couldn't say anything, and sat on my bed as he continued to analize my room. Then he took a seat beside me, both of us in silence.

- Hyeri - he called, making me lift my head to look at him. - Park Hye Ri - he said, making me wonder what he's trying to say. - Uff, this is much more difficult than I thought - he sighed. Confused, I continued to look at him. It's the first time that we are this close, and my heart is beating like crazy. Pleasy, stay calm, otherwise I'll die from excitement. I admired his features, his small dark eyes, his cute dimples, his smooth tanned skin, his strong black hair, his beautiful hands... I love this boy, I love everything in him... Why is it so hard to tell him that?

- Hyeri... - he called me again, bringing me back from my thoughts. - I'm sorry... - I looked at him in a way like I was asking "For what?" He simply read my look and answered. - For this.

Next thing I remember, I had his plump lips against mine. He was kissing me, my first kiss, and it was the most fantastic thing I had experienced until that day. My heartbeat was even crazier than before, and his hands fell into mine as he deepened the kiss. I was completely out of breath, but there was no way in hell that I would stop this.

- I love you... I truly love you, Hyeri. Sorry for being such a messed up child - he told me between light pecks, and I was startled. After all, he felt exactly the same way as me. Suddenly, I started to cry, all tears of happiness. - Wha-what's happening? Riri, did I hurt you? You didn't like it? - he asked me with a concerned tone, and I just shook my head while cleaning my tears and laughing. That wasn't any proper sound of a laugh, but I could hear something similar to chuckles. - What? Answer me!

Answer? How can I properly answer you? I took my sketchbook and wrote:

"Since when?"

- Since when, what? - he asked me, surprised.

"Since when do you like me?"

- Oh... Since I've met you, when I was moving here - he said, so naturally... - You were so misterious and cute, always hiding from me. I honestly thought that I scared you! - he chuckled. - One day, two years ago, I was with my mom at the supermarket when I met yours...

 

 

- Oh, Miss Park! - Namjoon's mother said to a lady who looked around her age.

- Omma, who is she? - Namjoon asked. Her face was, somehow, familiar, but he didn't remember when and where he saw her.

- It's our neighbour next door, the mother of that girl that you always scare - his mouth made an "o" with the sudden realization.

- Annyeong-haseyo, Miss Kim, Namjoon-ah - she said in a happy tone. He made a small bow to her and spotted her cart full of sketchbooks. - Oh, you looked surprised, Namjoon-ah. What is it? Ah, you're looking at my cart? - she gave a little laugh, and he didn't say a word because he was caught red handed.

- Please, Namjoon, you're 16. You should stop doing this kind of things - his mother scolded him. - I'm so sorry, Miss Park...

- Oh, it's no big deal. He's a good boy, I'm sure of it. You're 16, right? My Hyeri is the same age as you - "So her name is Hyeri... Pretty", he thought, taking a mental note.

- Right, how is your daughter? Did she showed any signs of improvement yet? - "Is she sick?" Hyeri's mom shook her head.

- Her vocal cords are fine, as the doctor has said. It looks like that she's blocking her voice subconsciously. I still have hope, but she gave up trying a long time ago...

- She needs to have faith. I'm sure she'll be better in the future.

- I hope so. Well, I won't bother anymore. Goodbye, Miss Kim. Send greetings to your husband for me.

- I will - they bid goodbye to each other and Namjoon couldn't stop thinking about what Hyeri's mother had said.

- Omma... What's her problem?

- Hyeri's? - he nodded. - Ah, that poor girl is mute. She can't speak since she's 7. She had an horrible car accident, and came out of it with nothing more than a few scratches, but her voice...

- Oh, I see... Now it makes sence...

- What makes sense?

- Nothing... - he paused, thinking about something. - Mom, I almost forgot. I need a couple of sketchbooks, too...

 

 

- And on that exact night, I started to talk to you...

"So... You knew all along?"

- Yup. I'm sorry I didn't say it before, I was afraid that I would scare you - I started to punch him on his chest, but he was stronger than me and held my hands - What? Stop, I said I'm sorry!

"Why? Do you know how I suffered because I didn't knew how to tell it to you? I hate you!"

I wrote, crying. He put me in his embrace and held me tight.

- I don't know, but I can imagine. I'm sorry... - we stayed that way for a couple of minutes, then he got up and climbed my window. - Soooo, you're my girlfriend, or...? - he chuckled as I gave him a light push. -  I'll take it as a yes - and gave me a quick light peck on the lips. I waited for him to climb his own window, and bid him goodbye before I close mine. Today, my dreams turned to reality.

~x~

Not long after we started dating, a couple of shabby guys were at Namjoon's door, and looks like he knows them. He told them to go away and they did, with a promise that they'll be back. Worried, I climbed my window and ran to his, knocking softly on it a couple of times. He appeared in his room a while after and rushed to open the window.

- What are you doing? Come inside! You're going to freeze to death out there! - I went in and sat on his bed after he passed me his sketchbook and a pen, and tried to warm me with is body.

"Who were they?"

- N-nothing... You don't need to know them...

"Namjoon... Tell me the truth..."

He looked away from me and gave a big sigh.

- Remember when I told you that Sarang put me in quite a problem? - I nodded. - Well, they're part of it.

"What exactly happened?"

- I can't tell you. I told you I don't want you involved in this. - I was ready to complain, but he hugged me tightly before I was able to do anything. - Don't worry, I'll solve this - and I believed on what he said. I shouldn't have believed him...

~x~

A couple of days after that incident, I was coming back from school when I saw the same guys again. Namjoon was in front of them and was backing off as they got closer and closer to him. Thankfully, none of them noticed me and I hid behind a car, watching the whole scene.

- Please, I don't want to have nothing to do with you. I didn't want any of this in first place! - I heard Namjoon say.

- Yeah, but you didn't have to report us to the police - one of the guys said.

- What you're doing is wrong! I could never... - the other guy punched Namjoon int the face, silencing him.

- Now it's payback time, kiddo - said the same guy who puched him with a sadic smile.

Namjoon was showered by loads of punchs and kicks, and I was watching that scene, horrified. I couldn't do a single thing, I was just as helpless as him, and I couldn't watch that scene anymore.

Curling on himself, Namjoon had his face bathing in blood and one of the guys suddenly stopped kicking to pick something from a car that was close. He held up the object in the air, proudly, and I couldn't take it anymore. He was swinging the bat up and down and was ready to hit Namjoon with it. I ran to him as fast as I could.

- Namjoon! - I screamed, my voice cracking for the lack of use, and Namjoon looked to me, surprised. - Run! Please, just run! - I screamed louder. I didn't care that my voice was back, I just wanted to save him. I attached myself to the arm of the guy that was wielding the bat, and start pulling him to the ground. With a groan, the same guy started to swang me, and I stucked to him with all my power. The other guy forgot Namjoon and started to slap me, but I needed to bear that for his sake. Namjoon was paralyzed, looking to that scene, until his face changed and a wave of rage rushed through his body. Without knowing, I was on the floor, as well as the other guys. Worried, Namjoon carried me bridal style and ran to my home, hiding there.

- Where is the first-aind kit?! - he asked, and I left him without an aswer. - Just tell me, I need to take care of you first! - I pointed to a little door at the kitchen counter.

Soon, he started to take care of my wounds, whispering words like "That's why I didn't wanted you to get involved", and "You're hurt because of me", and I stared. What will happen next? He's not safe anymore, at least for now... We just...

- Riri... You know that I'll have to run for now, don't you? - I nodded my head. - Please, use your voice... - he plead.

- Y-yeah... - I said, cracking a little.

- Oh my gosh, it's so beautiful... - he said, and then he gave me a long and tender kiss. - I'm gonna miss this... But I'll be back as soon as I can... - I noticed tears forming in his eyes. Why I'm so powerless?

I  started to take care of his wounds while I was holding back my own tears. My love was being taken away from me, and I couldn't do anything.

- Promise me one thing - I told him, and whispered something almost inaudible on his ear, that made him cry.

- I promise. My Riri - he said. He hugged me, but I already felt that he was gone...

~x~

A year has passed since that incident, and now I can finally talk properly. Sometimes my voice still cracks, but it's nothing to worry about.

Namjoon's still on the run. I heard from the police that the guys that beat us were part of a drug cartel that Namjoon reported to the police, and Sarang was aprt of it. She blackmailed him, saying that she and her friends would hurt me if he wasn't her boyfriend, and the she pulled him for this situation. Of course, she went to prison for selling drung, blackmailing, and other bunch of things. Looks like my friends and his friends were right all along.

I came home after a long that at college, and when I arrived at my room I saw a big paper stucked in my window. I automatically started to cry tears of happiness. It was that sign, the promise.

"Hi, neighbour. How are you? :)"

That is what's written on that paper teared off of a sketchbook. I open my windown as fast as I can.

- Kim Nam Joon! Can you hear me?! I'm waiting! - I screamed with happiness, and left my words being blown by the wind.

 


 

AHHH, finally I'm over ! I'm sorry for taking a long time, I know I'm a little late.

This was a big chapter... I little big than I thought, but the words keep coming and I couldn't stop them >.<

I'm sorry T^T

I hope you have liked it, and very thankfull to all of you that read be two-shot :33