Start of Summer Break

If I were to leave

Summer break

“Umma, where’s Appa?” Hye Seon took off her shoes and peered around the bottom floor.

“He’s out on a business trip. I think he’ll be back by August.”

“I see. It to work even during summer break.” Hye Seon sighed and walked upstairs to her room. There was nothing special about it. A 3 compartment bookshelf with only the middle shelf filled with books. The bottom layer was filled with jars of origami she folded when she was bored, stamps and stacks of blank paper she kept in handy. The top shelf only held a clock, an empty photo book, and a diary. On the left side of the wall were her bed with light blue covers and 2 pillows with a large stuffed bunny. The walls were painted a light cream colour with a simple but artistic green tree she had painted herself.

Hye Seon pulled out her diary and flipped through the pages of mere nothingness. Every single day for the past 4 years, all she ever wrote was how the weather was like, what she ate and how she spent the rest of the day with her parents after school. It was not until recently that her pages were filled up a little more. Even if they were minor details, it was a big improvement for Hye Seon. 

Today is the last day of 7th grade. It was pretty hot. Jongin, the boy who had been sitting with me ever since he came, treated me to patbingsu. It was fun. Appa’s on a business trip again even though it’s summer.

She closed her diary and was about to head over to shower when she remembered the phone number still messily scribbled on her arm.

“Umma! Are we busy this week?” Hye Seon shouted from upstairs.

“No. I’m just going to be rearranging the bookshelves at the store. Why?”

“I… I was planning on inviting my friend over or perhaps go spend a few days out. If you want me to help out at the store I’m fine with it though! It’s not really important.”

“No it’s fine I’ll manage. Besides, it’s really rare to hear you going out with your friends.”

“Okay.” Hye Seon finished, She pulled out a blank sheet of paper from her shelf and wrote down his phone number before taking a shower.


“…Hello?” an unfamiliar voice answered the phone.

“Hello? Can I speak to Jongin please?” Hye Seon replied nervously. It had been a long time since she called someone other than her relatives.

“Who are you?”

“Umm… I’m his classmate.”

“Are you his girl-“What are doing?!” Hye Seon heard Jongin shout in the background.

“Hello? Sorry my cousin was playing with the phone. Who is this?”Jongin answered.

“...I’m Hye Seon.”

“Sure. Now quit lying. Who are you?”

“…I’m not.”

“I know you aren’t Hye Seon. Seriously who is this?”

“… nevermind.” Hye Seon hung up from irritation.  She put the phone back on her desk and walked back to her piano. Nobody had given her lessons but you could say she was naturally talented since she learnt all by herself.  Just when she played a bar, the phone rang again.

“Hello?” Hye Seon answered.

“Can I speak to Hye Seon please?” A male’s voice replied.

“Yes I’m Hye Seon.”

“Oh Hye Seon. Someone called me and said that was you!” Hye Seon sighed quietly when she realized it was Jongin and got up from her seat.

“… That was me.”

“…really? Then, what did you call me for?”

“I just want to ask if you wanted to come over or… spend a day outside.”

“Sure! Are you free on Wednesday?”

“Yea.”

“Great. Talk to you tomorrow!” And with than, Jongin hung up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Jongin…Jongin! YAH WAKE UP!” Luna, Jongin’s cousin who would be staying over at Jongin’s house for a whole 2 weeks, took a pillow and bashed his head.

“What!?” He kicked his blanket off and squinted his eyes at his cousin.

“It’s 12! What do you mean what? Help me deliver this box to Mrs. Go!” Luna dropped a large box right beside his head.

“Why don’t you deliver it?”

“It’s too heavy for me! Besides, I have to go to work at the book store. Mrs. Go is probably there already and I can’t be late. I think her daughter should be awake like a normal person by now. They live on the street behind us. House number 112.” Luna said quickly.

“What do I get in return?” Jongin slowly got out of bed.

“You little… I’ll buy dinner tonight okay?” Luna said and waited outside Jongin’s room for him to change. He brushed his fingers through his hair to get rid of any tangles and pulled on a light blue jeans and a white tee. He carried the box into Luna’s car and sleepily crawled in.

“I’ll drop you off and you take it there and walk home yourself okay?” Luna said as she made a turn into the street. Jongin slouched and nodded. As she pulled up, Jongin took the box out and kicked the door closed, receiving a shout from his cousin before driving off.

He rang the door bell and waited. Hearing no response, he was about to drop off the box and leave when the door opened.

“… Hye Seon?”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Present time*

Jongin.

It was him that had extended his hand for her, yet she didn’t feel touched at the slightest. His eyes were neither sympathetic or amused and he had stopped laughing. His expression was hard to explain. It was as if he was waiting for her to take his hand just to prove he was a little better than the rest but at the same time, he looked as if he’d get tired of waiting for Hye Seon and just walk away any minute.