The Present

If I were to leave

I hate the way you act. I know you see me. I can see you staring at me. So why aren’t you saying anything? Don’t ignore me. I don’t want to be alone again.

Hye Seon sat uncomfortably at the edge of the chair, reserving a seat for her friends. Her gaze was fixed on the ground but from the top of her eye, she could clearly see him looking at her. Every so often he’d look around but would always turn his focus right back at her. Whenever he seemed to make an attempt to talk to her, he’d hesitate and turn away once again.

Should I look back at him? Should I speak? What is there to say?

Hye Seon finally took enough courage to turn her entire body away from him.  She sat stiffly and counted the seconds that passed, imagining her friends finally picking up their order at the counter.

“Ah ha ha! Stop it! I said stop!” Hye Seon could hear his voice and the sound of his familiar chuckle. She turned slightly, curious to see what was going on. He and Heechul were shoving and slapping each other playfully.

“Hye Seon!” She heard Hayoung call with Eunji following behind. She was holding their drinks while Eunji carrying the trays. A rush of relief ran through her.

Finally

 She stood up to let them claim their seats.

“What about you?” Eunji asked, seeing there were only 2 seats to the table.

“It’s alright. I can stand.” Hye Seon replied, picking up the ice cream she had ordered. Hayoung scooted over, leaving half a chair vacant and pulled her down beside herself. Hye Seon could finally take her attention off of him but she didn’t know how long it could last. His new circles of friends were rowdy and ruder than ever; slipping into empty seats even though grannies and grandpas were making their way to the once-empty tables.

He still has that same laugh, that same smile. Despite being around those people, he didn’t become rude and inconsiderate to anyone… except…me.

“Yah. Yah! Hye Seon!” Eunji waved her hand in front of her face. She didn’t notice that she had stopped eating or that the ice cream was melting over her hand. Grabbing a paper towel, she wiped her fingers clean.

“Why are you so clumsy?” Eunji complained, throwing a stack of paper towels in front of her. Thanking Eunji, Hye Seon finished the remains of her snack. As they finished their meal, Eunji checked her watch and quickly shot up.

 “! I forgot I had tutor today. I’m going to be late!” Eunji exclaimed, frantically packing her bag. Hayoung quickly grabbed her bag and hauled it over her shoulder.

“It’s okay, you guys go first. I’ll take care of it. We don’t go the same way anyways” Hye Seon assured them, taking a tray out of Hayoung’s hands.

“Thanks! I owe you!” Eunji shouted, dragging Hayoung out.

I’m all alone again… I should get going anyways. I’ll just clean up and leave.

Hye Seon, picked up all the little pieces of leftover straw wrappers and threw them into the recycling, being the only one with common courtesy as the rest of the rowdy group behind her brushed the bits of litter onto the ground.

Taking the two trays on the table presently unoccupied, she dumped the rest of the garbage and placed it on the counter top above the litter bins.

“Excuse me.” Hye Seon squeezed through the crowd to get to the exit.

“Hey! That’s mine, who said you could drink it?!” Heechul shouted as he lifted his ice water above his head.

“Come on! It’s just water! I’m thirsty!” He stood on his toes.

Backing up a little too far, he stepped on the heel of her shoe, causing her to fall. Heechul, being the only one that noticed, quickly stopped.

“Give me it!” He shouted and jumped on Heechul. He lost his grip on the drink as it splashed all over Hye Seon, soaking her entire shirt and the ends of her hair. This time, it caught everyone’s attention as they all stopped and turned to look at her.

There was only one thing that went through Hye Seon’s head as her mind shut down from the disaster happening to her right now.

Leave me alone