Magnification

Perspectives

A/N: I have no shame, all right? The Japan events have my ChangNiel/NielJoe feels on overdrive so I sat down and wrote this. Their dynamics are so beautifully different that I can't just pick one to write about. And the idea of S!L.Joe is such a turn-on I'm not even sorry *muffled cries*. If you are uncomfortable with NielJoe, please turn back. For the brave of heart, hope you enjoy the read!

Chapter 8: Magnification

"So what was that all about?" 

Jonghyun wakes up from a fitful nap just in time to hear Byunghun-hyung's question. He's disoriented for a moment, wondering when the large, comfortable mattress of his bed had changed into a lumpy leather thing, before he remembers that they're in the dressing room. They've been here since early morning, doing rehearsals and reviewing the timetable outfit changes included. 

"What was what all about?" At the sound of Niel-hyung's voice, his body automatically stiffens. The two of them haven't talked since yesterday, not really. Jonghyun knows he's partially to blame for being too petty, but he refuses to back down and apologize.

Footsteps, and then Byunghun-hyung's voice floats up again, closer this time. "Jonghyun's fast asleep. Don't you think we should talk about what happened, at least?" He can almost imagine it now, that arm reaching out to snake around one broad shoulder, that flirty smile he reserves just for Niel-hyung on full blast. "For starters, why we're going out in private, apparently."

It had just been a joke. Jonghyun knows the majority of their Japanese fans are waiting for a juicy tidbit from the so-called ChangNiel couple. He and Niel-hyung have been giving out too many of those recently, to be honest. Sometimes an irrational fear strikes him that one day, their relationship really will be exposed to the public and completely destroy their careers. He has to be careful when walking that thin line. That's why for that fan question, he chooses Minsoo-hyung, contrary to everyone's expectations. It's no good if he favors Niel-hyung too much. 

It's just a joke, but there's a hollow feeling in his chest when Niel-hyung chooses Byunghun-hyung, spreading through his lungs and the empty spaces in between his ribs, like he's been dry of air.  

Niel-hyung's laugh is carefree when he answers. "You don't like that? That kind of answer's more interesting for the fans, isn't it?" Another giggle. "I didn't see you protesting, either."

There's an exasperated huff of breath. "You and your logic." The way his voice drops to a lower pitch turns Jonghyun's blood to ice. "And that other thing you said... 

"Have you forgotten you're already my dog, Niel-ah?"

Jonghyun's eyes are suddenly wide open and he's on his feet, snarling. The memory of him stealing Niel away is still too fresh, too raw for him to forget. 

Byunghun-hyung's lips curl in a faint smirk. "You still at playing possum, maknae." His heart is pounding loudly in his ears, adrenaline pumping through his veins. His fists are itching for a fight. He glances over at Niel-hyung. The older man's gaze is fixed on Byunghun-hyung, and his face is flushed red until the tips of his ears. Jonghyun finally puts a name to that hollow sensation that threatens to devour him from the inside out.

It's betrayal.

He doesn't know what he expected, but it wasn't a vision of those parted lips and blushing cheeks. Not after being labelled someone's dog. The realization that Niel-hyung must have lied to him about those few months between his solo promotions and their group comeback makes him physically ill. While he had run away from that dating scandal with his tail in between his legs, Byunghun-hyung had seized every opportunity to be by Niel-hyung's side. Had it happened then?

There's nothing but white noise in his head. He needs to get out.

Something grabs his shoulder. Jonghyun stares at the hand. It belongs to Niel-hyung. His mouth is moving, but Jonghyun can't hear the words. Maybe he doesn't want to hear.  

"Don't touch me." 

He wants to throw up. It's disgusting, that's what it is. 

Which one of them is more disgusting, he thinks, the hyung whose face had turned red in pleasure at being called a dog, or the him who had so blindly believed every word?

...

"Did you know that in Bahasa the word for 'dog' can also be used as an insult?" 

Jonghyun groans and tries to swat at Changhyun's head, but to no avail. "No, and I don't care. Besides, isn't it the same for almost every language?" Asking his friend for advice had been a mistake. There's no way he could know anything about whether Byunghun-hyung had been fooling around with Niel last year; he wouldn't even have figured he and Niel were dating if the two of them hadn't pulled that childish prank a while back. 

"At any rate, aren't you worrying too much about this?" Changhyun points an accusing finger in his direction. "Byunghun-hyung probably guessed you were eavesdropping so he decided to screw with your head." Jonghyun scowls. He hates it when Changhyun actually makes sense. As revenge, he chomps down hard on that offending finger. Predictably, he cries out at the pain and their conversation grinds to a halt. 

Also predictably, Chanhee-hyung kicks his for bullying their (almost) youngest. Minsoo-hyung joins in because Changhyun's his favorite (after Niel-hyung) and because it looks fun.

Once the two oldest members leave him in a collapsed heap on the hotel room's carpeted floor, Changhyun shoots him a dirty look. "I hope Byunghun-hyung beats you up, too."

Jonghyun makes a face at him. "He already did, before." The guilt had gotten in his way, leaving him paralyzed and utterly at Byunghun-hyung's mercy.  

"Yeah, well," their self-proclaimed lovely boy pauses a moment to consider, "He will again, once Niel-hyung lets him."

...

His body moves on instinct before his mind can catch up, leg spinning around and socked foot landing squarely on Byunghun-hyung's solar plexus. The kick knocks the breath out of him, impact sending him flying to the floor. Jonghyun snatches him up by the collar none-too-gently.

"Niel-hyung isn't your dog," he bites out between clenched teeth. "And if you try saying that again next time it's gonna be your face."

Their main vocalist is suddenly next to him, their shoulders barely brushing against one another. "That's enough, Jonghyun." The white noise disappears. "It was my fault for saying stupid things to the fans; I got too carried away." 

Niel-hyung's fault? He's never thought about it that way. He's the one who messed up, who nearly ruined their futures and any chance of a serious relationship with Niel-hyung for a girl he'd barely known.

All because he'd wanted to satiate his curiosity.

Byunghun-hyung has the audacity to grin like he knows something Jonghyun doesn't. "I'm taking my dog Niel to Disneyland."

He shuts the rapper up with a headbutt that has even him seeing stars for a little while. The makeup team is going to give him hell for the matching bruises he's pretty sure will be appearing on both their foreheads, but for now...

He smiles down beatifically at their unconscious band member. "Payback's a , hyung."