Side Profile

Perspectives

A/N: The second in a short series of ChangNiel-themed drabbles. This one is from C.A.P's POV, and between 700 and 800 words. I apologize in advance if the characterization isn't too spot on. 

Feedback is most appreciated and I hope you enjoy the read!

Drabble # 2: Side Profile

Niel and Jonghyun have always been close, but Minsoo doesn’t really pay too much attention to it until he spots them passed out in the dance studio. It’s three in the morning, and he would still be sound asleep if it weren’t for Chanhee’s persistent nagging that he check in on the kids.

“Knowing Jonghyun, he’s probably practicing,” Chanhee says, “Maybe Niel’s with him.” He glances pointedly at Minsoo. Their self-proclaimed visual, he has found over the years, is far more of a mother hen than he lets on. He briefly wonders if making Chanhee the ‘mom’ means he’s responsible for being the ‘dad’, and the thought makes him groan, burying his head into the pillow. The man is insane. Going out at this hour right in the middle of winter?

He shakes his head, not daring to look Chanhee in the eyes. “It’s too cold,” he protests, voice muffled, “and they’re old enough to take care of themselves. Just let them be.”

“You’re the leader, aren’t you? Do your job properly for once, hyung.” Without waiting for Minsoo’s response, he leaves his seat by the side of the bed and exits the room.

He mutters obscenities at no one in particular before finally rolling off the bed. Minsoo continues to grumble to himself as he dons a few extra layers and a coat, but he goes anyway.

In the Teen Top household, for better or worse, Chanhee’s word is law.

The two missing boys are fast asleep when he finds them, their faces only centimetres apart. The maknae is in what Minsoo can only presume to be an extremely uncomfortable position, left arm spread out and serving as Niel’s makeshift pillow while he lies on his side, tangling their legs together. The other arm is wrapped securely around the older member’s waist, and the hold unconsciously tightens even as Minsoo watches. A few moments later, Jonghyun shifts and raises his head to scan the room with sleepy eyes, finally settling on their leader’s form towering over them.

“Hyung?” Niel reacts to the sound by burrowing his face deeper into the maknae’s chest. Minsoo stops and stares, mostly because he’s never seen the main vocalist that unguarded in sleep, usually being the last one to wake up, and because Jonghyun is strangely picky about this kind of thing. Not even Changhyun would be able to get away with this much physical contact for extended periods of time; Jonghyun would have already chased him away before it got that far.

Tired of waiting for Minsoo’s answer, Jonghyun shakes Niel lightly. “Niel-hyung,” his voice is pitched low, “hyung, get up. We should get back to the dorm.” Minsoo hopes they at least had enough presence of mind to change clothes and wipe the sweat away before dozing off. The last problem they need right now is two of the members catching cold right before the comeback.

Minsoo waits in silence, observing the efficient way Niel double-checks the contents of their bags and Jonghyun’s nods. He takes in the easy and familiar way Jonghyun touches Niel, how he runs his thumb over Niel’s sleep-swollen lips and makes fun of them with the tiniest hint of laughter in his voice.

“Is it normal to be that close?” He later asks Chanhee out of curiosity. The two of them are in the living room, Minsoo lying down on the couch. The blond vocalist sighs, putting down the puzzle piece he’s been staring at for the last five minutes.

He cranes his head to face Minsoo. “What do you think?” Answering his own question, he continues, “We’re close, hyung, but I definitely wouldn’t make an arm pillow for you to sleep on. Would you?”

“No,” Minsoo replies reflexively, then has to slow down and think about it seriously. “I don’t know. Maybe?” He blinks away a mental image of the younger man using his arm as a pillow, mouth slightly parted open in sleep.

Chanhee laughs, a dolphin-like noise that has always mystified him. “Arm pillows hurt, Minsoo-hyung.” He pats Minsoo’s head condescendingly. “Which is why you should only do it with the person you love. It’s not worth it otherwise.”

The statement makes him pause. It certainly makes sense inside his own head. Coupled with the borderline flirtatious behaviour, the glares Jonghyun likes to send every other member who sticks too close to Niel, the intentional brushing of fingers during the choreography rehearsals, they all point to one thing. And if Chanhee’s right, then Jonghyun is definitely going to want more than just cuddling and taking naps together, although he doubts Niel’s considered it happening in the near future.

Minsoo closes his eyes and concludes his thoughts with one word.

“Troublesome.”