there's a reason

Polar Bear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

There was a reason Seokjin was called the shoulder-hyung. Being one of the taller members, his shoulders were broad, perfect for wearing suits or when Taehyung wants piggy back rides or for someone to use as a pillow after a long day.

 

It's funny because while Jimin takes selcas with his 95 line brother sleeping against him, Jin does the same thing when Jimin's head is against those broad shoulders, his face becoming ironically manlier when he's asleep than when he's awake because his eyebrows angle and shape his closed eyelids so his facial expression loses the baby-ness. Then again, Jimin's personality oozes dorkiness and cute with a dash of over exaggerated macho for comedic effect when he is awake. It's not a problem at all—it was generally accepted that was Jimin's charm after all.

 

Jin enjoys taking these selcas a lot; although there are a lot more on the phone than what's posted on their twitter, but despite that, it doesn't get tiring. He sees Jimin as his cute younger brother, and as a hyung, he almost feels an obligation to take care of him whenever he watches how hard the boy works.

 

On the near opposite of the scale, Yoongi has mixed feelings about those selcas. He scrolls through all the images posted on their group twitter, glazing over the sleeping Jimin pictures for a split second because something at the pit of his stomach causes him to think about that picture for hours on end in a way that bothers him a lot. If he actually took a better look at those pictures, if he paid closer attention to how Jimin looked when he was leaning against Jin's ing wide shoulders, it'd be burned into his mind forever. That image that causes such discomfort to him—he'd rather avoid it at all costs.

 

But why would it matter that much to him anyway? They're all members of the same group, and therefore they were going to be with each other for years. Something as trivial as sleeping on each other's shoulders shouldn't even make him bat an eyelash. It doesn’t—when he sees Taehyung and Hoseok practically koala hug each other in their sleep or even when Jungkook decides to sleep on Jin's shoulder in the car.

 

Yoongi grumbles underneath his breath as he turns his phone's screen off after seeing a new selca of, none other than, Park Jimin snuggling up to Jin's shoulder fast asleep while the elder gives a small smile to the camera. The photo was taken several hours ago in the car, where Yoongi called shotgun because he didn't feel like cramming into the back.

 

Now that Yoongi thinks about it,when he is sitting with the others, he is almost always next to Jimin. When he isn't, Jimin is near him, being loud and (cutely) obnoxious with the other two maknaes, Hoseok included at times. Either way, Jimin doesn't fall asleep when he's in the back.

 

He isn't really sure what to make out of it, or if that even meant anything. The other members know that Yoongi isn't really the type to do cute or say sweet unless there's a camera in front of him. For the fans of course. His sharp tongue is a double-edged sword—it's something that he hates coming out when it shouldn't, yet it was part of his personality. His personality being a mix of nonchalance and swag, he thinks.

 

Yoongi writes lyrics and makes songs because that was one of the closest and easiest ways to experience his true feelings underneath the cool image that's been created.

 

But Yoongi can't write a song about how much he wants Jimin to sleep against his shoulder.

 

 

 

 

 

 

There's something that the other members notice, but it's not like they were going to (or even could) do anything about it. Yoongi's feelings towards Jimin were clearly more than platonic, except it isn't something Yoongi would openly admit. It's subtle things he does around him that make the others think that.

 

Yoongi's hands are essentially attached to somewhere on Jimin; in a group photo his hands find a way to Jimin somehow. His shoulder is a popular place—but the neck even more so. Jimin complains about it a lot, albeit jokingly, by telling the other members to “keep him away from me” and “God, hyung you're so annoying”.

 

When it's in front of a camera, Jimin is usually the one talking; Namjoon, Taehyung and Hoseok giggle to themselves as Yoongi stares almost lovingly and longingly at the younger boy, his fingertips brushing his neck slight enough that Jimin doesn't notice. His eyes soften and melt as he gazes in a few seconds Jimin is distracted.

 

They can't tell whether or not Yoongi does it consciously or not though, he was already hard to read as a person but it was an accepted fact that Jimin held a special place within Yoongi's heart. In which that place is a spot of both adoration and frustration to him. It felt like a twisted story of senpai noticing kouhai before kouhai even spares him a glance. That's what Jimin does anyway; his attention span is all over the place and it's more like Yoongi is quietly trying to keep up with him except he can't really.

 

The rest of the members sigh at Yoongi, hoping that he'd just tell him about his feelings towards the younger, but he only makes up excuses like no other.

 

Luckily, whenever these conversations take place, they do it when Jimin is nowhere around to listen because the boy isn't stupid or dense—and they would rather have Yoongi directly face him about his feelings than Jimin accidentally finding out by Taehyung or Namjoon or something.

 

So days and months pass by like this; Jimin constantly sticking to everyone's side, the occasional Yoonmin moment in front of the camera during a video or a picture. Jimin continues to be a ball of energy and Yoongi still watches from the nearest yet the farthest place from the boy.

 

 

 

 

There are some times that Yoongi tries to almost hint to Jimin about how he feels. He obviously loves it when Jimin calls Yoongi his favorite hyung, or the times when he obviously shows he cares about him, but most of the times it's Jimin teasing Yoongi and vice versa. On bad days though, days when nothing is going right but they still have schedules to complete and interviews to do, his sharp remarks come out faster than ever.

 

Things like “Jimin's ideal type is actually Min Yoongi.” come out as they're doing interviews, and the rest of the members raise their eyebrows at Yoongi's bluntness—but Jimin brushes it off with a giggle and snatch the microphone back.

 

These things go on for a long time, and it's not until the shoulder-hyung approaches Yoongi himself that he realizes what's really wrong.

 

“Yoongi-ah,” Jin says to him, coming into the dark room of the recording studio. He glances at the one candle that is lit right beside him.

 

“Hmm?” Yoongi's voice is heavy and rough, his beanie pulled over his eyes as he relaxes in the chair, legs propped against the edge of the table.

 

“Can I talk to you?”

 

“Why do you need to ask?”


“It's about Jimin, I mean,” Yoongi can hear Jin take a seat on the couch nearby.

 

Yoongi doesn't answer or move for a short while before sighing. “I don't want to talk about that.”

 

“This is bad for your health, you know.”



“Hyung...” Yoongi takes his beanie off and faces Jin. “What is there to talk about?”

 

“I'm wondering if it's really that hard to tel—”

 

“I can't tell him, okay?”



Jin stares right at Yoongi, “Are you afraid Jimin will hate you if you do?”

 

Yoongi doesn't know the answer to the question because he, himself, doesn't know exactly why the words: “Park Jimin, you make me feel things so I think I like you or something” refuse to come out of his mouth. It's part denial but was it also part fear? Of whatever Jimin's reaction would be?
The two talk with each other for a very long time, Yoongi coming to the conclusion that he's just a ing coward and Jin doesn't think Yoongi is taking enough risks (and also finding out how jealous Yoongi was over Jimin's shoulder sleeping adventures).

 

 

He's a ing coward.

 

 

So Yoongi sighs as they're on the flight back to Korea after spending all that time in Thailand, which by the way, frustrated him to no end because of Jimin's lack of clothing (whether in the pool or strolling in the damn street) and his giddiness (that he was sure attracted a lot more attention from strangers than fans in any case). His happiness isn't something that specifically bothered him, but it was the actions that he did.

 

Although the Thailand photobook staff had to take photos of everyone while they were there, Yoongi wonders if Jimin really had to look so...seductive in most of them. It was the concept, sure, but he doesn't feel the same way about Jungkook or Taehyung or any of the other members' photos.

 

And again, it's not like he can or would say anything about how it actually made him feel annoyed but attracted and also possibly a little jealous all at the same time. He resorts to his sharp tongue once again-- “You're so ugly, Jimin!” “What is this even? Stop.” he grimaces when Jimin loudly laughs and shrugs him off again.

 

Well, at least he didn't take him seriously about the ugly comment.

 

On this flight, Yoongi sits himself next to Jimin again, the younger right by the side of the window because he loves peering out when the plane starts to ascend. Yoongi catches himself admiring Jimin agai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter