4

The Switch

 

Both Daehee and Sunhee didn’t know that their addresses were switched at the airport. Now, they are living in each other’s future husband’s house. Luckily, Jonghyun and Dongwoon both lived alone.

Daehee looked up at Jonghyun who was gussying up in front of the mirror. He fixed his hair and tie, brushed dust off his shoulder, he spent minutes just for checking himself out.

Daehee scoffed. “Must you gussy up for like 10 minutes? Where are you going anyway?”

“To work,” answered Jonghyun.

“Why do you care so much about your appearance? It’s not like you’re going on a date or something,” Daehee flipped the page of her magazine while lounging on the sofa.

Jonghyun smirked. “Is my future wife jealous?”

Daehee’s eye twitched. “Are you crazy? Do you wanna die? I’m staying here just because my parents told me to. It’s not like I really want to marry you. Besides, I don’t even know you! So stop calling me your future wife. Coz I’m not. And I won’t be.”

Jonghyun laughed. “Easy, lady. I was just joking, okay? Well, joking about the jealous part but the future wife one, I am serious about that.”

“You better get going before I throw my slippers at your face.”

Jonghyun grabbed his car keys and went for the door. “I’ll be home early for you today, yeobo!”

Daehee grabbed her slippers and threw it towards Jonghyun. Jonghyun laughed out loud and closed the door exactly when the slippers hit the door.

“Jerk!” shouted Daehee. She looked around and found a set of Nintendo Wii sitting lovely by the huge LCD TV.

Daehee checked the Wii CD collections that were in the drawers.

“Wii Fit! Nice. At least I won’t be a couch potato,” said Daehee happily as she inserted the CD into the Wii.

~~~~~

Sunhee was walking down the stairs when she saw Dongwoon closing the front door. She stopped when he turned around and looked at her.

“Oh, Sunhee-sshi, you’re up?”

Sunhee smiled shyly and nodded. She didn’t care how messy she looked at that state, the thing she always know is that she looks gorgeous in any time of the day. Self confidence set up to maximum.

Dongwoon held the newspaper and was about to walk to the dining room when he paused and looked up to Sunhee. “Do you want to eat breakfast? I haven’t prepared much, there’s only cereal and wheat bread.”

Why does he have to be so caring, it hurts my heart.

Sunhee nodded. “I’ll help myself.”

Dongwoon replied with a smile. Sunhee was grateful she was holding on to the handrail, if she wasn’t, she could’ve tumbled down the stairs due to that knee-weaking smile.

“If you need anything I’ll be in my study room, right there,” Dongwoon pointed to a direction.

“Got it,” said Sunhee. Dongwoon smiled again before he left.

Sunhee really served herself as she made toast with cream cheese. She had a glass of soya milk, afterwards, she did the dishes and put everything back in place. The house was so quiet. She decided to go for a tour around the house.

She went to the living room. It had a fireplace on the right and a Turkish rug in front of it. A leather sofa was settled near the window with a 32 inch flat TV hanging on the wall. A few photos were placed on the shelves. Thick books were placed everywhere but neatly, most of the books were about medical stuff.

The entire room was amazing and classic, but she got to admit it would be creepy sitting alone there at night. She continued walking towards the study room. She found Dongwoon there sitting on his chair in front of his desk, his face covered with a newspaper, books and stuffs open around him.

Dongwoon was about to flip a page when he saw Sunhee standing in the doorway. “Whoa. You almost scared me.”

Sunhee chuckled. “I’m sorry.”

Dongwoon folded his newspaper. “No problem. Is there anything you need?”

Sunhee scoffed while looking around. “Stop asking what I need, I can help myself. You’re treating me like I am some kind of royal guest.”

“Well, you look like one,” said Dongwoon, in a lower voice.

“Pardon?”

“Nothing!” Dongwoon cleared his throat. Sunhee just smiled and shook her head.

Sunhee looked at the medical books scattered on Dongwoon’s huge wooden desk. She walked over to the empty chair in front of it. “May I?” she asked as she pointed at the chair.

“Oh? Yes. Please,” Dongwoon stood up and let Sunhee sit.

This lady is sometimes ignorant but she sure has manners.

“Are you a doctor?” asked Sunhee.

Dongwoon nodded. “Let me guess, I don’t look like one, do I?”

Sunhee made a thinking face. “You sure look like someone important, I just never guessed you’re a doctor.” Dongwoon just nodded. “How old are you?”

“How old are you?” Dongwoon asked back.

“Not fair. I asked you first. It’s not polite to ask a lady her age.”

“Is it polite to ask a man his age?” teased Dongwoon.

“Fine, I’m 22.”

Dongwoon gasped. Sunhee was slightly shocked. “What’s wrong?”

“I thought you were 17,” teased Dongwoon, followed with his own laughter.

Sunhee scoffed. “Very funny,” she said but smiled anyway. “How old are you?”

“24,” said Dongwoon straightaway.

“You’re kidding me,” snapped Sunhee. Dongwoon frowned.

“What, I look old?”

“No. it’s not your appearance,” Sunhee looked everywhere but to Dongwoon’s eyes. “You’re 24 and a doctor?”

Dongwoon shrugged. “I accelerated during high school and I graduated fast.”

Sunhee pouted and tapped her fingers on the table. Dongwoon tilted his head. “Is something wrong?”

Sunhee took a deep breath. “I know I’ve just been here for a few days, but, this has been bugging me the whole time and I just have to ask you.”

Dongwoon leaned back to his chair. “Take it easy. What is it?”

“You entered school early, accelerated, and graduated fast. Now you’re a doctor at such a young age. Don’t you still want to enjoy your job at this moment?”

Dongwoon made a frown. “I’m sorry I don’t quite understand what you are saying.”

“I mean,” Sunhee leaned back and brushed her hair. “I was having the time of my life back in Brisbane. I was enjoying my job and mom just had to call me and ordered me to come home and get married.”

Dongwoon let out an uneasy smile. “I think I know what you mean. This is just too sudden for you, all of this, right?”

Sunhee carefully looked at Dongwoon in his eyes. “Yes.”

“Don’t worry, Miss. You’ll be fine. Just stay here for a few more weeks and if you still don’t feel like it, we’ll try to work things out with our parents, okay?”

Sunhee tentatively nodded. Dongwoon smiled and glanced at the clock. “Oh, I have an operation at 1pm, I better be going now. Will you be okay at home alone?”

Sunhee looked at the clock. 11am. How can he be so leisure?

“Yeah, I’ll be fine,” said Sunhee.

Dongwoon grabbed his stuffs and stood up. Sunhee automatically stood up as well and followed him to the front door.

“Lock the doors and don’t answer random calls. I’ll call you to your handphone if there’s something urgent,” said Dongwoon as he stepped down the doorsteps.

Sunhee nodded. Dongwoon turned around and headed for the gate.

“Jonghyun-sshi,” called Sunhee.

Dongwoon paused. Right, she still thinks I’m Kim Jonghyun. Dongwoon turned around. “Yes?”

“Good luck for the surgery,” said Sunhee, awkwardly rubbing the back of her neck.

Dongwoon bit his lower lip and smiled. “Thanks!”

Sunhee replied with a small smile and closed the door. She suddenly felt her heart beating faster.