Wishing For Happiness

Wishing For Happiness

CHAPTERONE



Jessica grew up thinking that fairytales were real, that there were princes out there trying to rescue their princesses from castles guarded by fire-breathing dragons or dark evil witches.

Her father was a romanticist and loved telling his daughter fairytale stories with beautiful endings where the prince would marry the princess. Since then, Jessica believed that there was a prince out there for her and waiting for her to be rescued. She believed that for every woman, there should be a man to protect her and love her.

But all of that changed the moment she entered highschool. It was the first time she ever fell in love and sadly, it was also her first heartbreak.

Jessica didn't know when it happened, but she had found herself secretly crushing on her bestfriend. Of course, crushing on your bestfriend is quite normal and can happen to just anyone, but this was a bit different.

She fell in love with a girl. A woman just like her.

Remembering all those fairytale stories her father had told her when she was little, love was suppose to be something shared between a prince and a princess, in other words, between a man and a woman.

It was wrong for her to like another woman, but nevertheless, she did. She couldn't control what her heart wanted or whom it would beat for.

Jessica was one of those beautiful popular girls in school where all the guys would swoon over and the girls be jealous about. In short, she could have dated any guy if she wanted to and try to have that fantasy that she had always dreamed about, but she never did. 

She tried dating boys, she really did, but it never seem to work out for her. There was always something missing and she could never pin-point it out.

Everytime a relationship fails, she would question herself on why it never seemed to go right or why she wasn't able to like the guy. Of course she already knew the reason why, but she always denied it because she knew it was wrong.

But one day, she couldn't deny it anymore and wanted to accept the truth. She wanted to tell her bestfriend about her indecent thoughts towards her and how much she loved the girl. But when she actually did, her bestfriend had told her that she was just confused and to never think of her in that way ever again.

Jessica was heartbroken at the harsh rejection and it didn't help that her bestfriend had started to avoid her. Because of that, Jessica vowed to never fall in love with a girl ever again and if she ever does, she shall remember this heartwrenching memory and forbid herself from ever falling.

 

***

 

"Jessica, you're still here?" A girl had asked, pulling a chair and taking a seat right across the said girl. 

"Well, as you can see, I'm still here," Jessica sarcastically replied, eyes never leaving her book. 

She has been in the library ever since this morning with books piling up her table. Jessica was studying for her upcoming mid-terms and seeing that today she didn't have work, she uses this whole day to do just that.

"It was a rhetorical question, Jessica," the girl rolled her eyes as she watched her friend become a bookworm. Seeing how her friend was ignoring her, she pulled the book Jessica was reading right off from her hands.

"Yah!" Jessica hissed. "What's your problem, Sooyoung?"

"You're my problem," Sooyoung retorted, closing the book that Jessica had busied herself with. "You need to stop reading and get a life. A social life."

"What are you talking about? I do have a social life," Jessica said, to which Sooyoung rolled her eyes. "Yeah, like what? Talking to me and Yoona does not count."

"Then, what exactly do you want from me?" Jessica sighed exasperately. Sooyoung has been bothering her lately about studying too much and not enjoying the college life. 

"Tell me, when was the last time you dated?"

"Oh no," Jessica smacked herself on the forehead. "Not again... Why do you always bother me with my dating life?"

"Because the last guy you broke up with was months ago and since then, you haven't been seeing anyone and have been indulging yourself with work and more work," Sooyoung complained.

"And that's a problem because?" Jessica questioned, wondering why Sooyoung was always up in her business.

"Because, you're my friend and I would like to see you happily dating because it worries me that you might end up being a single for the rest of your life," 

Jessica sighed. She knew that her friend was just worried and concerned for her, but it was a situation that shouldn't even feel concern about. If she wanted to stay single for the rest of her life, then so be it. There was nothing wrong in being single, was it not?

"Soo-"

"Just one group date!" Sooyoung said, lifting up a finger. "Please, just this once and I'll stop bothering you about it," She begged.

Jessica contemplated first on whether she should accept the offer. If she gets this group date over with, Sooyoung would finally stop harassing her. "F-fine," she hesitantly answered.

Sooyoung grinned at the answer, it was exactly what she wanted to hear. "You'll like him, you won't regret it,"

and boy was she wrong.

 

***

 

Jessica watched in disgust as the man that her friend had set her up with stuffed himself with all kinds of dishes. She tried to ignore the repulsive sight in front of her, but it didn't help when he started to talk with his mouth full.

"You mo yerr berry pwetty," He said while holding a glass of beer. Jessica reluctantly nodded at the compliment whilst she watched him chug down the alchohol. His face had turned a crimson shade of red and that's when she knew that he was completely drunk. 

"I think he's drunk," Sooyoung whispered in her ear, pointing a finger at the laughing drunk across from them.

Jessica glared at her friend, blaming her for taking her to this stupid group date and setting her up with a damn loser. "I'm leaving," She said, getting up from her seat.

"Wait, what about him?"Sooyoung asked, getting a hold of Jessica's wrist before she leaves.

Jessica glanced at the guy, whom by now was squeezing himself through the crowd of people on the dance floor. "He's drunk and out of his mind. I'm leaving," and with that, Jessica left the club.

She didn't know where she was going and where she was heading to, but she does know that she wanted some fresh air and away from the loud blasting music.

Somehow she manage to end up at one of the famous parks where many people like to take walks at during the night. Jessica took a seat at a nearby bench ignoring the stares from some of the people around her. She knew they were probably wondering why a girl like her was walking around alone, especially during the night where it could be dangerous, but Jessica didn't care. 

Her father was a boxer and had taught her all kinds of moves that she can use as self-defense, so if anyone try to do anything stupid with her, she knew what to do.

A sigh elicited from the girl as she watched couples walked hand in hand right by her. She couldn't help but feel envious. She wishes she could have someone special like that. Someone who could cherish her and love her completely, but someone like that are rare and hard to find. 

Jessica huffed at the sudden feeling of lonliness. Maybe she should try going on another group date and maybe this time she'll try if the guy is pretty decent enough.

 

***

 

Five years have passed and Jessica had already graduated from college and has been working as team manager in one of Korea's famous fashion company.

Sooyoung, Yoona, and her still kept in touch and sometimes invite her over to group dates where Jessica would happily accept, because she was hoping that she will meet her special someone.

She was tired being alone and single and was desperately looking for just about anyone.

It wasn't until her twentieth group date that she had finally found the guy she has been looking for.

He was intellegient, funny, tall, good-looking, and maintained a good job. He was exactly what Jessica was looking for and what was even better was the fact that he too was also interested in her.

Jessica thought that things couldn't get any better and that everything was turning out great, but little did she know how wrong she totally was.

 

***

 

"Jessica Jung, will you marry me?"

Jessica was speechless and never before has she felt this way. The man that she has been going out with for months is finally proposing to her with him going down on his knee and presenting her with a beautiful daimond ring.

Jessica has always found things like this to be quite beautiful and romantic and she's always wishing that someone will propose to her one day. She had dreamed of this ever since she was little, where a prince will appear one day and sweep her off her feet.

He was the exact same man that she had met through the group date that her friends had set her up with. Surprisngly, they both clicked together very well and ended up going out just a few days later. He has always been sweet towards her and never had he made her dissapointed in any way. He was someone whom she loves very much and now here he was, down on his knee, asking her to spend the rest of her life with him. 

"I-" Jessica hesitated. "I'm sorry," She answered, avoiding his confused gaze as she stood up and left.

 

***

 

She felt tears streaming down her face as she ran out the cafe, away from the man who wanted to spend his life with her. The moment he propose to her, she didn't know what to do. She was caught off guard because she didn't know he planned on doing something like that when he invited her to meet his friends at a small cafe.

She felt sorry to have to humiliate him in front of his friends, but what can she do? She was just as confused as he was.

She loves him and he loves her, but when he got down on his knees to propose, it made Jessica realize that she couldn't spend the rest of her life with him. She couldn't lie to herself any longer nor could she still continue to lie to him. 

Jessica had hid it from everyone ever since she got rejected in highschool and til now no one knew, not even Sooyoung and Yoona. She had always denied it, but she knew she couldn't hide it any longer. She couldn't change the fact that she was still into girls.

 

***

 

Walking down the streets with a tear-stricken face, Jessica found herself back into the park that she's been constantly visiting ever since five years ago.

She didn't know what it was about the park that made her come there often, but it helped her relax and made her worries go away. 

Wiping her tears with the palm of her hand, Jessica sat down at her favorite bench where she could get a clear view of the city of seoul. The park was famous for being high up, thus people would come by often, especially at night, where the the beautiful city lights of seoul came to view.

"Um. Excuse me miss, but um... here," A small voice had said from behind, startling Jessica. "W-What?" Jessica turned to see the intruder and found a girl, slightly shorter than her, handing her a baby blue handkerchief. 

Jessica looked back and forth between the girl and the handkerchief. "I'm sorry?" Jessica sniffed. She notices that the girl had on a uniform and Jessica remembered it to be her highschool uniform, which meant the short girl was just a highschool kid.

"Uh..." The girl started to fidget out of nervousness and it didn't help that Jessica was staring at her. "Here," She slowly places her baby blue handkercheif on Jessica's lap and hesistantly turn to leave, but stop as she notices that Jessica was just blankly staring at the piece of cloth on her lap.

"Please use that to wipe away those tears," The girl picked up her courage to say. Jessica took her eyes away from the blue handkerchief and back onto the girl in front of her. 

"Uh... Someone as b-beautiful as you shouldn't be c-crying," and with that the girl ran off, leaving Jessica speechless.

Jessica didn't know what had just happened, but when she took another look at the baby blue handkerchief on her lap, she felt a warm fuzzy feeling inside. With a last look at the now disappearing back of the girl, Jessica finally smiled. A genuine kind of smile.

 


A/N


What's up guys! Ha ha. I just had it stuck in my head since yesterday and couldn't help myself from typing it down.

LOL! I don't even know what the heck I wrote.

Don't worry, I'm still going to finish "It's You" Ha ha. I'm pretty sure you guys know it's going to end soon. You're still waiting up for their confessions, huh? lol xD

Yeah, I'm so bored and wanted to try something new.

My inspiration was from Ranie's "Wishing For Happiness," It's a really great song, so go listen to it. There's a mini drama series of it too, which is where I got some of the ideas from, especially the proposing. Ha ha.

 


[TS] Aoora feat. Hoik - Vanilla Sky