One

The Lights in Your Eyes

"So why am I doing this again?" Minho asked as he followed Jonghyun across the sunny courtyard. The day was warm but not especially hot, which would've made it a good day for playing soccer. However, soccer practice had been canceled that day, as the season was winding down, and Jonghyun had seized the opportunity to drag Minho....somewhere.

"Because you're my best friend and because it's the right thing to do." Jonghyun replied, not looking back at Minho as he wove around the groups of people milling about, heading straight to the school building.

"No, seriously." Minho joked, before frowning. "But Jonghyun, really, where are we going?"

"You'll see." was all that Jonghyun would say as he continued to guide Minho into the school. To be honest, Minho was growing apprehensive, since he never figured out what exactly he'd agreed to when Jonghyun had asked him to go somewhere with him after school. Then again, without soccer practice, he'd either be in a smoke filled alleyway or at home, by himself, so he didn't especially mind being led somewhere by Jonghyun. So long as it didn't involve anything illegal. Minho didn't think he'd be suave enough to convince the cops of their innocence a second time.

"Okay, we're here!" Jonghyun said suddenly. His voice had a sort of enthusiasm to it that wasn't there before, and he sounded like an eager puppy. Minho's suspicions mounted.

It only got worse when Jonghyun threw open the door for Minho and the latter realized just exactly where they were. "The theater? Jonghyun, seriously?"

Minho couldn't ever before remember Jonghyun having any interest in theater. He himself hadn't even known that their school had been putting on a play. The revelation that Jonghyun had dragged him there to audition rose more than a few questions.

"It's not what you think, Min- oh! Hi, Key!"

…that explained everything.

Minho followed Jonghyun's gaze over to where a blond man wearing an interesting pink sweater was standing. As far as Minho had known, his name was Kim Kibum, so was Key some kind of nickname or something?

Anyway, the reason why Jonghyun had taken Minho to a play audition was now glaringly obvious. He didn't care about the play itself, he just wanted to ogle Key. Even without talking to the man, Minho was more than aware of Jonghyun's infatuation with Key.

An infatuation that was again indicated by the dopey look on Jonghyun's face as Key returned his greeting. Minho decided that it was time to stop things before they got out of hand. If Jonghyun wanted to be with Key by being in the play, that was fine, but Minho didn't particularly want to get involved, since he had no distinguishing theatrical talents.

"Jong, I don't think I can do this, so let's just-"

"Excuse me, are you auditioning for the school play?"

Minho stopped tugging on Jonghyun's arm to look at the person who addressed him, and felt his heart stop. Literally stop. If he'd had anything in his mouth, he'd have spewed it everywhere. As it was, he nearly bit his tongue stumbling over the words.

The boy who'd addressed him was beautiful. Minho in general didn't call boys-or anyone, for that matter- beautiful, but in this case it was true. He had auburn hair and smiled up at him with a look of innocence. The only working part of Minho's brain told him that this was what love at first sight was. Except Minho was fairly certain that love at first sight was usually accompanied by some smooth pick up lines, and he was feeling none of that at the moment. Rather, he forgot his own name.

Thankfully, Jonghyun was there. "Yeah, we are. I'm Jonghyun and this is Minho. And you?" The sharp poke he gave Minho managed to snap him from his stupor.

"I'm Taemin," the boy replied, smiling like his entire day had been lit up by meeting them. "I know that they say these are auditions, but really we need a lot of members and not many show up so really pretty much everyone gets in, I just noticed you two 'cause you're new. So what are you trying out for-?"

"Okay, everyone, come here!" the three of them glanced to the center of the room where a man with light brown hair stood. As everyone went towards the center of the room (there were a large majority of males there, with a few groups of girls) Taemin leaned over to whisper in Minho's ear, "That's Jinki, our director."

Feeling Taemin in such close proximity made Minho feel as though his face was on fire. He honestly wasn't used to such an influx of feelings. Love and crushes were supposed to come slow and steady, not all at once. He tried to send Jonghyun a mental message of 'help'. Was this how he felt whenever he saw Key? That must . He was probably better at concealing it than Minho was, though.

Joining the circle of people surrounding the alleged director, Jinki-even though they were all referring to him as Onew, what was it with all these nicknames?- Minho felt Jonghyun sidle up beside him.

Standing on his tiptoes as to whisper into Minho's ear, Jonghyun said, as everyone was still talking, "So, are we auditioning or not?"

Minho thought to himself. All he could really do was rap, and he didn't think they'd accept that in a musical. And he'd never thought that he really belonged in the theater, or the classroom, or anywhere really. Just the soccer field, or in the rough part of town, trailing behind different gangs. In fact, the place he felt most comfortable was Jonghyun's house, so he at least owed his friend that.

Besides... Where else would he see Taemin? If he auditioned and made it-according to Taemin, there was no way he couldn't- he'd get to see Taemin often, if not every day. He'd already seemed enough like an idiot, but if he joined the play, he'd have a way to amend that. Screw this. I'm completely hopeless.

"...,yeah, I guess so."

Jonghyun was laughing at him, but even so, Minho found himself smiling.

Although, he found himself growing more and more apprehensive. The play was some sort of American thing that Minho had never heard of but everyone else seemed to. Why couldn't we have done a historical drama?

Then came the part where everyone introduced themselves and what talents they possessed, or what role they wanted to play. The names flew at him all at once: Taemin, Key, Kai, Tao, Jessica, Yoona, Chanyeol...

When they reached Minho, he was internally panicking since he hadn't prepared for this and it was all Jonghyun's idea and why did he let himself get talked into these things and why/ was Taemin so distracting and... "Choi Minho, uh...set."

The director smiled at him brightly and Minho felt himself relaxing. He tried to maintain his composed exterior, but it just about shattered when Taemin turned to him, smiling and said, "You play soccer, right? I bet you're really strong!"

"Um....yes. I mean, I guess so." Yes, that's definitely the reason I joined set. Because I'm strong. Although I guess it makes sense.

After that, Minho barely heard a word Onew or anyone else was saying. All he could do was hope that Jonghyun wasn't staring at Key because he was going to need him to fill him in.


A/N: Hi, this is Beautiful's sister ^.^ This is the first time I've written for this fandom...and even though she's got me well-versed in the fandom lore, I'm not sure if I got characterization and all down. But I tried my best (I really love JongKey! But she loves 2min so I did this for her :D). Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this!