12:30

At A Glance

The sound of the chattering students erupted as soon as the bell rang indicating that this dreadfully horrible class has finally ended. I waited for the rest of the remaining students to leave before I left but apparently, that's not what my lovely friend Key had in mind.

"Amber! Get your lazy off your seat right now" I took a quick glance at him and saw that he had my backpack slung around his right shoulder while he was holding onto his paper brown bag. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of my chair and lead me straight out of the class.

I pulled my wrist away from him once we were almost near the cafeteria he turned around and smirked at me while I just rolled my eyes at him and pushed him forward. He turned around again and glared at me "Listen, be happy that I went out of my way and walked all the way to your class just to get you Amber" He pushed the glass doors leading us out to the school court yard. "Come on, everyone else is working on projects and had to stay in their classrooms." We both walked to our group's usual spot. We spotted the familiar white benches that were placed in the middle of the court yard with the largest tree hovering over the table providing the perfect shade for a hot day like today.

Once we had both sat down across from eachother, he pulled out his fruit salad and snapped open the plastic lid. 

"It's you and me today and maybe tomorrow" I shrugged while he fished out a plastic fork and began picking at the fruits before eating it

"Why aren't you talking today? Having some withdrawals?" He asked with his mouth full of watermelon. Once again, I shrugged my shoulders and picked up one of the mango cubes in his salad and popped it in my mouth. The sun beated down on my skin and I felt sweat slowly forming on the right side of my temple.

"Come on, atleast tell me what's wrong Amber" I shrugged once again, and wiped the sweat trickling down the right side of my temple. "Please?" I looked at the pouting platnium blonde hair boy. I smirked and took another mango cube before finally speaking.

"I'm just bored Key. Don't worry about it" He scoffed and rolled his eyes. 

"I know exactly why you're being like this Amber Liu." I eyed him curiously and shurgged my shoulders. "Oh my god, you're so having withdrawals right now. I need to fix you up" He fished through his brown paper lunch bag once again and pulled out a rolled up joint. "Come on, let's take a couple hits before lunch ends." I eyed the joint wondering whether or not I should smoke it or leave it. But before I could decide Key had already pulled out his lighter and lit the joint up. The funny thing about this was that I was the one that had influenced Key to indulge in weed but it seems as though everything flipped. I needed something to take my mind off of everything right now. Not that anything was going on, I just felt. Lonely. 

I watched as he brought the joint up to his lips and inhaled in the weed and holding it in for a couple of seconds while handing the joint to me as he exhaled out. I played with the burning joint inbetween my fingers before bringing it up to my already parted lips and inhaled in the green goodness. I closed my eyes and handed the joint back to him and exhaled. The wonderful feeling shot back at me. All of my non-existent stress vanished. Everything was gone. I opened my eyes and saw Key exhaling the smoke out and handing the joint back to me. He smirked and ate his fruit salad again. 

"See, I told you that you needed this." He said while I exhaled the smoke. 

"Whatever," I handed him the joint but he shook his head and continued eating his salad. I shurgged and took another hit from the joint that's halfway done. "Thanks by the way," 

"You're welcome" He giggled and pulled his phone out and began to look through his text messages gasping here and there over the latest gossip floating around the school. 

I chuckled and ran my fingers through my blonde bangs sticking onto my temples and forehead due to sweat. I swept my bangs back up again and glanced through the glass wall separating the court yard from the cafeteria. While I scanned through the cafeteria, I tried to look for her. But she was nowhere to be found. Instead, all I saw were dead, dull, tired, stressed, hungry, all in all, bland people everywhere. I pulled my phone out and checked the time: 12:30 PM. 

That's weird. She's always on time.. I scanned through the glass wall once again before giving up. She wasn't in the cafeteria at all. I sighed and turned away but before I did, the same familiar straight brown hair caught my attention. I snapped my head back and saw her walking to one of the tables in the crowded cafeteria. Somewhere inside of me, I felt something beat. My heart rate felt like it accelerated. Maybe it's just the weed kicking in. Maybe I'm just dying from the sun's heat. I took a quick glance at my phone again and saw that the time was still the same: 12:30. She's on time. Again. This isn't the first time I've seen her before. In fact, this has to be the tenth time since the beginning of the school which started two weeks ago. And yet I still don't have her name. Or any information or clue as to who she is.

I brought the joint up to my lips and took in the last few hits and threw the joint onto the ground and stomped on it lightly and looked over at Key. He was still engrossed in his phone gasping here, gasping there, texting back rapidly. 

I looked back up through the glass and tried looking for the same familiar girl again but I was unlucky. She's nowhere to be found. I ran my fingers through my blonde hair and kept scanning around the cafeteria searching for her familiar brown hair. But just like the past few ten days, I never found her. All I have is 12:30 PM and that's it. I looked down at my phone and scrolled through my 30 missed text messages but all I could think about was her.

 

 

But, just who exactly is she?