t w o

Talking to the Moon

As she continuted analyzing, she realized that he was shifting back and forth uncomfortably and refused to look her in the eyes.

 

His mouth kept opening and closing like he wanted to speak, but just couldn't get the right words out.

 

When his shifting got worse, she finally took pity on him and decided to be the first to speak.

 

"Um...hello," She said with her eyebrows furrowed.

 

"Hi," He mumbled back.

 

His response was so quiet that she almost didn't hear it.

 

"So uh, you can sit down if you want. I'm not stopping you." She said before turning her head back toward the sky.

 

She heard footsteps and thought he was leaving but then she felt him sit next to her.

 

Warmth was radiating from his body and she'd never felt that from anybody else but Himchan. It almost made her want to lean her body more toward his, but she stopped herself.

 

They sat there in silence for awhile before the boy shot up from the ground, making her jump in shock. 

 

She looked at him curiously, and he his lips before telling her his name was Jongup and running out of the clearing.

 

Feeling that she needed to return the favor she shouted that her name was Layla and hoped that he heard her.

 

~~

 

As time went on, it turned into an everyday thing, and they'd sit in a comfortable silence after she got home from school and finished her homework.

 

She didn't really know anything about him besides his name and she was fine with that because even though they didn't talk, she felt like she had gained a silent friend.

 

That was until one day, he didn't show up at his regular time.

 

She didn't really worry about it at the time, but it was a straight week of him not showing up and it started to unnerve her.

 

She didn't know anything about him besides his name, so it wasn't like she could go and check on him or anything.

 

After about three weeks, she was ready to give up on the friend she had thought she gained, when one night, on a Friday, she was sitting alone when she heard the sound of leaves crackling under someone's feet.

 

She turned around toward the noice and what she saw surprised her.

 

Walking toward her was Jongup and a little blond boy, about the age of 3, with curly hair.