o n e

Talking to the Moon

Layla had always been kind of a loner.

 

She'd never really made the effort to talk to her peers at school, and her brother Himchan was the only person she really had the chance to talk to.

 

Her parents never really took the time to talk to or look after her. They were always gone, so Himchan was basically the one to take care of her throughout her life.

 

As the years went on, she started making her way through section of trees close to her house.

 

As she got farther in, she noticed a small clearing within the trees.

 

The clearing almost formed a perfect circle within the trees, and somehow, no shade from the trees' towering branches and leaves had made it's way through.

 

The grass wasn't tall nor short, but perfectly in between, and it was littered with flowers that were blooming with color.

 

She didn't really think anything of it at first, but as time passed, she started going there at night and realized how beautiful the place actually was.

 

She also noticed from coming at night, that she had the perfect view of the moon. It shined brightly through the clearing and cast a bright but shadowed light through the clearing.

 

She then started talking to the moon.

 

She wasn't crazy or anything and never expected a response back, but she found solace in the fact that she could say all of her thoughts and feelings to the moon, and it would never judge.

 

She started seeing the moon as her one and only friend and thought that would never change.

 

Until one day, she was sitting in the crisp grass that had cooled as day turned to night and was about to express her thoughts of the day when she heard the sound of rustling through the trees.

 

The steps were light. It was almost as if the person was trying not to be heard, but he couldn't have known she came here almost everyday.

 

Through her years of coming, no one had ever found the place or even really tried to venture past the front of the trees.

 

Her head was turned toward the direction of the foot steps when finally, a boy that looked about her age came out into the clearing.

 

She stared at him in shock, and when he turned his head toward her figure sitting on the forest floor, his steps faltered and stopped.

 

While he stood there, she took the time to analyze his appearance.

 

He was a pretty built guy.

 

From his tight pants, she could see that his leg muscles had obviously been worked out many times.

 

His face, which was illuminated by the moon's light, was very smooth. His eyes were one of the most beautiful shades of brown she had ever seen. They weren't quite hazel, but weren't dark enough either that his irises would match his pupils.

 

As she continuted analyzing, she realized that he was shifting back and forth uncomfortably and refused to look her in the eyes.

 

His mouth kept opening and closing like he wanted to speak, but just couldn't get the right words out.

 

When his shifting got worse, she finally took pity on him and decided to be the first to speak.