Memories

Sunset Beach

I wake up to see the dull morning sky, I sit up and my towel falls off me, how’d that get there? I think to myself. I look around to see that the food from yesterday is gone but my bag is still there. I get up and brush sand off myself when I see something written on the ground; Right now I’m solid enough to write stuff in the sand, thankfully, I hope you have a good day and it would be cool if you could come visit me again? By the time you’ve read this, I’m probably already “asleep” so goodnight, or for you good morning-Tao

For a guy who’s been dead for a year, he’s still got good handwriting, I laugh slightly at the thought. What should I do until sunset? Go shopping? I sigh and stand up gathering my things and go to my house. I shower and brush my teeth and then dress in jeans and a dark red t-shirt. I picked up my wallet and checked to see if I had any money, thankfully I did and a credit card that I forgot I had. I rarely used it so it had to have some money on it. I walk out my door and head towards the mall, it’s quite a big building that from the outside is basically all glass. I go inside and look around for a decent shop, I find a shop for hats, there are shelves with so many that they’re piled onto each-other. My eye catches a black beanie and luckily it fits so I buy it. Just as I exit the store I see Hana and her group of girls, I groan and put my beanie in the hope that she doesn’t recognize me. Unfortunately she does and the she-devil walks over to me.

“Loser! Where’s your boyfriend now?” Hana smirks.

“Working.” I reply, “What about yours? Oh, I forgot, you don’t have one.” I say, I don’t know why I said it but it was worth it. Her face turned bright red and opened and closed.

“I have a whole group of guys to choose from.” She composes herself and scoffs. Then out of the blue she pushes me to the floor, I land hard on my arm and it cuts itself on something sharp. I glare at her laughing face fighting both the urge to punch her in the face and burst into tears, don’t do either of those things, you’re the better person, I think–wait, that wasn’t me, that was Tao! What is happening? No idea, he replies, just walk away and get that arm fixed, he says. I get back to my feet and shoot Hana my most withering glance to see her flinch slightly. With a little bit of satisfaction I put my head high and walk away. As soon as I’ve rounded a corner I check my arm, it’s bleeding a lot but not very heavily, doctor’s office is near here, luckily. Go there, Tao says. Am I hearing voices in my head now, am I crazy? You’re not just hearing things but yes, you are very crazy, he replies, shut up, I don’t hear anything else from him. I head towards the doctor’s office. When I get there, the assistant takes one look at me and then calls the doctor immediately. In a few minutes, he’s taken me to his room and is cleaning and bandaging up my arm.

“What happened?” He asks.

“I fell down and hit something sharp.” I say which is partly true. He nods and says I can go, I get my beanie and look around for one more store and my eye catches on the H&M store. I go in and buy a few t-shirts, trousers, one more hat, and a skirt. I look at the sky; maybe an hour or two until sunset, an hour and a half to be exact, Tao’s voice fills my head again. Okay, thanks, I’ll see you then, can't wait, I can hear him smile (don't ask how I can, sometimes you can tell). I go back home and turn on my TV, as I flick through the channels I find a film that’s just started, it’s called Beautiful Creatures. It’s about a girl who’s a witch and when she becomes a certain age she will either turn evil or good, it happened to her sister and her mother. She falls in love with a boy but her falling in love with him will make the chance of her becoming bad even greater. I finish the film and look out the window, ten minutes or so until sunset. I make myself a packed dinner, and get a bottle of water, then I get dressed and head towards the beach. Tao’s already there pacing the beach.

“Hey.” He looks up and smiles at me.

“Hi, how did you get into my head today?” I ask. He looks confused.

“How did I what? I’ve been asleep all day.” He frowns, “But I did have a dream where you fell down and hurt yourself.” He says after a pause. I pull up my sleeve and show him my bandage, “So it was real.” He breathes.

“Yes.” I nod.

“Did it hurt a lot?” He asks as he reaches out to my bandaged arm.

“Not too much.” I shrug even though it did, a lot. His hand lands lightly on my arm, ripples go through his body but it doesn’t pass through. I stare at his hand surprised, I can feel the warmth of his hand through my bandage. I glance at his face, he has a ghost of a smile (no pun intended), he looks up at me and smiles for real. I reach up slowly with my other hand and place it lightly on his.

Tao was running across the beach bleeding from his side but he was barely paying attention to it. He looked at his girlfriend who was standing beside another boy who is carrying a knife.

“Why? What did I do?” Tao asked with tears running down his face. The girl said something, Tao’s face falls and another wave of tears run down his face, “And this was all for money wasn’t it?” He says.

“Of course.” She sneers and then walks off with the other boy. Tao collapses to his knees and puts his head in his hands and his body is racked with sobs. Then he looks up to the sea made a burning orange by the sunset.

“All for money…” He whispers shakily.

 

Please don't be silent readers now, I love getting feedback from you guys :D