[het!OnHo] 「मेरी जान」

Thirty Days of Ignorance

Jinki wipes the back of his neck free of sweat. The only thing he’s gathered from Minjung’s rapid explanations is the repeated use of the words “Art Deco”. She’s walking too fast as well, despite the crooked paving stones and occasional beggars lining the footpath.

“—and this is neo-gothic architecture. It’s the High Court building. Isn’t it beautiful?” There’s wonder in her eyes, too blind to notice the soldiers sitting under makeshift canopies with their machine guns trained to shoot at the tiniest possible threat. Jinki gulps and refrains from asking about it.

“Y-yeah, real pretty,” he mutters.

“Look at Lady Justice up there!” she cranes her neck on tip-toes.

They walk in relative quiet after that until she suddenly whips out her phone under the shade of a grand arch. Its stones are alternately dark and light, the columns thick and the capitals elegant. “Oppa, selca time~” she insists with a grin, moving to stand by his side with the front camera showing a pair of tired and hungry faces—one smiling broad another leaning their heads together.

They’re in a different country, among different people with different lives from theirs. And yet Minjung lets her enthusiasm bubble over for the beautiful architecture and the spicy street food. Jinki doesn’t know what to do but get swept along thoughtlessly, laughing at the pauses and twining their hands at the zebra crossings.

They could be anywhere in the world but Jinki wouldn’t be anywhere else but by Minjung’s side.