[fem!2min] 「좋아」

Thirty Days of Ignorance

She purposely dragged the chair instead of lifting it because pissing off the librarian was a good source entertainment. But they’d carpeted the floor on this side of the library… “,” she mumbled before just slumping into her seat and picking at the pills of her sweater.

"Lee Taeyeon?" she was asked a few minutes later. The hem of a floral dress and shiny beige four inch heels came into her drooping view. She turned her wrist to check her watch—right on time.

"I’m Choi Minjung," the newcomer introduced herself and extended a hand to be shaken. A pleasant smile was offered, too. Taeyeon stared at the display of friendliness then at its owner until everything was retracted. The elder shifted uncomfortably on her feet. "Uhm. Your mom called me last week. Apparently you need help with Math?"

"Not really?"

"E-eh?"

"OK fine sit down," Taeyeon relented after a bit. "What do you want to sell me? Be reasonable with the price, though. I come from a broken home you know?" she leaned back in her chair and rocked it to and fro in wide arcs. "Of course you do, everyone does. I’m the talk of the town aren’t I? New girl who moved in with her mother and is failing Math."

Minjung figeted before sitting across the table from the younger. “A-actually I’m doing this free of charge so if we can start with a basic time-table—”

"Oh so I’m a charity case?" Taeyeon cut in, chewing her gum louder than necessary. "Well then Miss Choi, good for you. By the way, aren’t you that girl who rejected Lee Jinki in the cafeteria? Like… Didn’t you dump your manduguk on him?" she leaned forward and lay her torso halfway along the study table. "Dude… you’re so weird. Who turns down Lee Jinki?"

Minjung’s eyebrow did an irritated twitch. She flipped open a textbook and scanned its contents, trying to seem busy. “That’s not up for discussion.”

"So what is, eh? Lets discuss that, then."

"Sure, why don’t we start with your report card?" the elder glared.

Taeyeon put up her hands in surrender. “Touché.”

"I thought so," Minjung squinted. "Now, we’ll go over two chapters in each meeting and then I’ll give you homework which you’ll have to complete for when we meet next—"

"But I mean," Taeyeon cut in. "I wouldn’t have snubbed Lee Jinki. Of all people. If he’d asked me out I would’ve jumped his bones as quick as you can say blowjo—”

An palm strictly clapped the table top. “I really don’t want to talk about this nonsense.”

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow and gave the other a judgmental once-over. “Thats insulting. How is my romantic life nonsense?”

"You know perfectly well what I mean."

The younger swiped her arms over the table and lay her head against it. “What’s up your with that guy anyway? Women throw themselves at him all the time and yet you…?”

I don’t like him!" Minjung jumped up and shouted. "Can that not be reason enough?! I don’t have to like him. He isn’t naturally likeable to everyone on the planet just because he’s a good-looking guy. And yes, before you ask me I do think he’s good-looking but that’s the extent of my thoughts on him. I have no inclination to fawn over him day in and day out like some desperate sighing teenager!”

The librarian walked up to the nearest bookshelf and cleared loudly. A pointed scowl was thrown their way but Taeyeon didn’t even bother to look. She blinked up in wonder at the other girl. “Wow lady,” she gasped. “You have unresolved issues…”

Minjung exhaled slowly, her ruffled feathers smoothing down one by one. “And this is a subject I will no longer discuss with a stranger. So please take out your notebook and start—”

"But I’m not a stranger."

"W-what…?"

"I’m not a stranger," Taeyeon shook her head. "I sit right behind you in morning assembly." She folded her arms and rested her chin low, peering up at the other with a steady unabashed stare. "I know you have a habit of bouncing your foot when you’re sitting. And because of that I know you wear an anklet on you left leg… it rings a little." She made her fingers walk closer to Minjung’s palm.

"I know you wash your hair every second day because it smells of jasmine oil on the days before. I know you took ballet as a kid, you have this strange… grace in your arms. I know you jog on Thursday mornings before school because there’s always grass on the soles of your PE shoes. I know—"

"OK, Sherlock, noted." Minjung stopped her, eyes shifting around. "We’re not strangers and you’re my creepy stalker. I understand."

" you I’m not creepy," Taeyeon huffed. She pushed back her chair, letting it topple back, and gathered her things to leave. "Don’t follow me, don’t call home, and don’t even try to talk to me ever again. I hope you find another charity case and they hate your guts," she spat her farewell and stomped away.

Many days later as she sat crouched over her calculus homework, her phone lit up and a message asked her so >you< don’t hate my guts, right? in the most innocent way. 

Taeyeon adoringly her thumb over the words.