Prologue

Letters of Endearment

Taking small hesitant steps, the girl slowly stepped through the glass doors of the small building. There were only a few people inside, who were sitting in chairs reading through magazines or simply staring at nothing particular. The air smelled clean, yet held an overwhelming feeling that she couldn't seem to describe.

"May I help you?" 

A kind lady spoke to her, getting the girl's attention. Taking a deep breath, she slowly approached the desk. The lady was dressed in a white uniform and didn't look any older than thirty. She was busy typing away on the computer, but she would occasionally glance up at the girl. 

The girl slowly fidgeted in her position. Her eyes darted from one area to the next. She didn't speak; she was afraid. The lady patiently waited for her, and her smile never faltered. She seemed genuinely kind.

The girl took a deep breath and carefully cleared . "My name... is... Cecilia." She frowned at the way her voice sounded. It sounded absolutely horrible, as if someone was scratching chalk down a chalkboard. It was too squeaky and hoarse.

The lady's smile faltered upon hearing the girl's voice, and she nodded and typed something on her computer. "Ah yes, you have the five-thirty appointment correct? Just sign in and wait for your name to be called." She handed the girl her papers, who hesitantly took it with a fake smile.

Cecilia set aside the papers when she finished. She kept shifting in her seat, and her eyes would occassionally dart to the clock. Her heart beat faster as time passed, bringing her closer and closer to the moment that she dreaded most. felt really dry and she swallowed hard. She kept taking deep breaths to calm herself down and she even created a soft rhythm with her fingers as they tapped against her lap.

She nearly jumped out of her seat when one of the nurses came out, scanning the room. For a moment, they made eye contact and Cecilia was sure that she felt her heart sink to her stomach at that moment. However, the nurse 's gaze shifted to the man sitting next to Cecilia, and he called his name instead of hers. She nearly cried out with relief, but it wouldn't be long until it was her turn.

Soon five minutes had passed and Cecilia's fingers were doing the chicken dance on her lap. She would often bite down on her lip and wipe away the sweat that slowly dripped down her face. She glanced at the clock again. Tick. Tick. Tick. Gulp. There were only a few more minutes until the clock struck five-thirty.

Calm down. This is only a simple appointment. Everything will be fine.

Several minutes later, another nurse came out. This time, she was smiling directly at the girl. "Cecilia?"

She nearly fainted as she realized that it was her turn. The time has finally come.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Did you come alone?"

Cecilia only nodded in response to the doctor's question. Somehow, that didn't sound like a good sign. There was an awful feeling creeping up on her, and she could only stare at the doctor with a nervous expression on her face.

The man handed her a sheet of paper. It was a list of the symptoms that she had written down when she had first visited the clinic a week ago. "Are you still experiencing any of these symptoms?"

Cecilia reread the list, her heart racing with every word that she read. Something didn't feel right. There was a lot of tension in the air, and it was slowly suffocating her. She wiped away the sweat on her forehead and stared longingly at the paper. After a few moments, she nodded.

"My cold... has gone... away." Cecilia spoke, although her voice was a mere whisper now. It was still raspy and hoarse, sounding way worse than it did before. The doctor looked alarm for a moment.

"Please don't try to speak." He said, looking concerned. It made the girl worried. Her heart was beating rapidly and she couldn't seem to shake off that uneasy feeling. Everything felt so wrong. 

The man took a long glance at his clipboard, which made the girl swallow hard. She fiddled around with her fingers and bit down on her lip. Something felt terribly wrong, and the girl wiped more sweat away from her brows. 

"You said that you've been experiencing these symptoms for several weeks correct?"

"More than... a month." She spoke again, and she lowered her head at the warning look that the man sent her.

"Cecilia, based on the results of the tests and the symptoms that you wrote down, it seems that you are suffering from a case of chronic laryngitis. Your vocal cords and the tissues surrounding them are very inflamed. Early medical treatment would've helped you recover quickly. However, because of your recent cold, it seemed to have worsened your condition. Also, there is the possibility that vocal nodules may have formed due to the overuse of your voice. We'll need to run a few more tests just to make sure, but if that's the case, then surgery may be neccessary."

Cecilia felt cold as ice. The blood drained from her face and more sweat rolled down. Her heart stopped and she suddenly couldn't breathe. "W-what?" She whispered, and she winced as some pain shot through . No, it couldn't be true. 

"Please try to calm down. Breathing like that will worsen your condition." The girl didn't realize that she had begun to hyperventilate. She in deep breaths, and she felt more pain in . Tears surfaced to her eyes and her eyes widened. It can't be true. It just can't be.

"I know that singing is very important to you, but due to this illness..." Cecilia blocked the man's voice out. She placed her hands over her ears and squeezed her eyes shut. No, he didn't understand. Nobody understood the pain that she was feeling right now. The possibility of losing everything, the one thing that she held so dear to her...

"Please calm down." The man kept repeating these words, but they never reached her ears. She tried so hard to block everything out. One tear after another rolled down her cheeks. She kept shaking her head and didn't dare to let the man's words seep into her head. They were false. They weren't true.

Cecilia's fingers scratched her scalp, but she didn't feel the pain. There was aleady enough pain in , heart, and soul. Nobody would understand just how important her voice was to her. It meant the world to her. Her voice was her way of communicating to people through music. It was her passion. Without it, the world seemed black and white and held no meaning. What purpose would be there for her if she were to lose everything?

Unknowingly, she was choking on her sobs. The pain in increased. She felt something sharp pierce through the skin of her leg, and she immediately began to feel dizzy. A sudden weakness flowed through her, causing her eye lids to become heavy. She sank back in her seat, and she could feel her breathing return to normal. In front of her, the lady from the front desk was holding a needle. She could see her lips moving, but everything was unfocused.

"You're going to be alright, miss Cecilia." 

Liar.

They were all lies. Nobody knew just how much this affected her. Losing your voice is probably one of the worst experiences, but nobody knew just how much she was suffering because of this. And it was all her fault.

Now, everything was gone.

Gone.



Author's Notes

 

Hey guys! So I have been really busy lately and couldn't get any of my other stories updated. However, because I love you guys so much, I decided to squeeze in some time to write a short prologue. I tried to make it emotional so you could be able to understand what Cecilia is feeling after hearing about the news. Afterall, wouldn't you react the same way if you lost something important to you?

I'm not too great on writing emotional stories like this, but I'll try my best. So yeah, this was just a short prologue. I probably won't post the next chapter for a while. I have to study for my SATs which is on Saturday and I'm super nervous.

I hope that you enjoy this short prologue and will eagerly wait for the next update. ^^ Comments are loved and new subbies are welcomed with much love~

Also, I'm sure that you guys have seen the new MV that our boys have decided to give to us <3 I loved the songs and I thought that it was very sweet of them to do such a thing despite being super busy with their world tour... <3 Aigoo, our B.A.P is so cute!

Fighting!~

~BAPisPerfect~