The Four Seasons

Why Did I Fall In Love With You?

Baekhyun hurried out of literature when the bell rang. He hoped and prayed that the tall, weird guy from before wouldn't follow him, although deep down he knew it wasn’t even an option anymore. As he opened his locker and checked what his next class would be an arm suddenly leaned on top of this locker door.

 

”We have PE together now.” A deep voice said. ”Not that you have to change or anything, but you know, we could always go there together…”

 

Baekhyun closed his eyes and let out a deep breath. He let his eyes roll backward knowing the act would be hidden behind his closed lids. He took his PE bag and closed the door harshly, making the much taller stumbled before regaining his balance. Baekhyun shook his head slightly at the view and left him behind. However, as expected, it didn’t take long before the other was right beside him once again. 

 

”So, as I was saying before, we could go together to PE and maybe we could-”

 

Baekhyun came to a halt. ”Stop it! Just- Stop whatever you are doing.” He flailed his arms to explain what he meant.

 

”I’m not doing anything in particular.” The other said carefully.

 

”Yes- Yes, you are! You’re- You’re pretending and following and stalking me. Just stop, I’m not a little toy you can play around with.” Baekhyun said exasperatedly.

 

”I-” He stood still for a moment, his hands fumbling together. ”I just want to help.” His voice had shrunk into this tiny little noise it almost made Baekhyun regret pushing him away.

 

Nonetheless, he didn’t even know who he was and hence, in Baekhyun’s opinion, he had no right to intrude in his personal life. Without another thought, 

Baekhyun took the initiative and left him behind.

 

”Wait!” 

 

The urge to roll his eyes was incredibly powerful.

 

”What?” Baekhyun spat out as he turned his heels.

 

”What’s your name?” He answered, a bit more cheered up. ”I’m Park Chanyeol…” 

 

There was a moment where everything paused as the guy rummaged and searched in his pockets. Baekhyun’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion when he whipped out his mobile phone.

 

”… But you can call me anytime!” A grin spread across his face as he told the joke.

 

Baekhyun couldn’t help but let out a loud chuckle at the ridiculousness of the situation, shaking his head lightly with a slight tug on the lips upwards while the other boy laughed.

 

”I’m… My name is Baekhyun.”

 

”A pleasure meeting you Baekhyun.” The taller offered him his hand. Baekhyun looked at it reluctantly for a second before finally giving in. 

 

”So, should we go to class now-?”

 

”I thought I told you to leave me alo-"

 

”Yeah, well, we are heading the same direction so you’ll just have to endure it.” Chanyeol said as he put a hand on Baekhyun and softly pushed him towards the main building, grin still widely spread.

 

Baekhyun couldn’t contain his eyes this time.

 

  

⋆⋆⋆⋆

 

 

Locker rooms. Often visited at least twice a day and had the curious effect of bringing relief during the last visit. E.C.W.S’s lockers in the locker rooms were glowing in scarlet red as they were cleaned regularly. The lockers were spacious and hung strategically over a comfortable bench for the temporary owners to change. The students didn’t own their own locker in the locker room the same way they had regular lockers, but the lockers did have keys that hung inside for them to claim and use. It was their duty to take all their personal stuff before leaving the room and make sure that the correct key was hanging inside the matching locker. However, even if they could take whichever locker they wanted Baekhyun always went for his lucky number – number four. 

 

While placing all his things inside the red locker he remembered the tall guy, Chanyeol, right?, telling him he didn’t really have to change. And partially it was true. Baekhyun was wearing the school’s official attire for PE, although he never usually wore the sweater and the sweatpants to gym class. Firstly because the matching shorts and t-shirt were more comfortable to do some exercise and secondly because he’d probably melt inside. So he changed; and just when he was tying the laces of his training shoes someone from 3B called him out. 

 

”Hey Byun, I heard you loved the food today!” The guy said mockingly.

 

”Yeah, might tone down the excitement a bit; everyone else here has something called standards.” Some other guy added. ”Do you even know what that is?”

 

”Maybe he’s so retarded he has to be fed.” The first one said to the other as they both laughed at him.

 

Baekhyun was angry to say the least, he was fuming. Steam would probably be coming out of his ears if it was physically possible, but since it wasn’t and a reaction filled with rage would be to no use he took a deep breath and tried to come up with a clever comeback.

 

He stood up and walked up to them, chin high as he subconsciously realized they were both taller than him.

 

”You know, if I ever wanted to kill myself I could just climb up your ego and jump to your IQ” 

 

That felt very wrong.

 

One of the guys, golden blonde hair styled upwards, walked closer to him and locked his gaze with him threateningly.

 

”Yeah? Go ahead then.”

 

Baekhyun was boiling up. He clenched his teeth together and narrowed his eyes for a second before someone stepped in between and therefore pushed him slightly away.

 

”Wow, wow, let’s all just… chill, okay?” Chanyeol stood with his arms stretched out to get the two soon-to-be-fighting males as much distance as possible.

 

”Why do you care Park?” The blonde spat back. 

 

”It’s our first gym class with A and I don’t find it necessary to already start a fight with them Kyung.” Chanyeol answered while looking at him dead serious in the eye, or so Baekhyun thought as he could only see Chanyeol’s back when he was facing the other but it was the expression he imagined the latter would have. And while he had the chance he also noticed that even if the despicable blonde guy that Chanyeol addressed as ’Kyung’ was tall, Chanyeol looked a lot taller.

 

He’d actually never taken a good look on Chanyeol before, he just took what he looked like for granted and never paid much attention to the details. Like how his hair was actually dyed red and the dark brown roots had begun to show, or how oddly big his ears were. Baekhyun would’ve wanted more time to analyze the odd being in front of him before his thoughts were caught off.

 

”Whatever.” Kyung answered and left the locker room with a couple of guys following him. Baekhyun didn’t miss the dirty looks thrown his way. 

 

 

⋆⋆⋆⋆

 

 

”Why did he know my last name?” Baekhyun suddenly asked as he was heading to the school gates accompanied Chanyeol.

 

”Park Kyung knows everybody in this school.” It almost sounded like he was trying to contain a grin while he spoke.

 

”Is that his real name? Park Kyung?”

 

”So he says.” 

 

Baekhyun hummed. He felt uncomfortable associating the nickname he had for Kyungsoo to such an idiot.

 

Oh well…  

 

Luckily for him and the inevitable awkward conversation, Baekhyun’s chauffeur appeared by the gates in the familiar dark green Jeep. 

 

”That’s my ride so… I gotta go.”

 

”Oh, okay, I’ll see you tomorrow then!” Chanyeol answered with a smile.

 

”I guess…” Baekhyun tried his best to smile back but it only came out as a forced and awkward look. He gave up on it and opted for just getting inside the car. He could see Chanyeol waving in the review mirror as his chauffeur drove and left him behind.

 

Dork. 

 

 

⋆⋆⋆⋆

 

 

Another dull day passed. He’d felt eyes on his back each time he turned around a corner and the once somewhat approachable classmates had become strangers to him. It wasn’t like Baekhyun really cared. He had never really been friends with any of them, but the thought of him having spent hours and hours together with people whom he barely knew almost every day for the last three years scared him deeply. He’d always had Luhan to rely on, to remind him that he should focus on learning since he was there for him in all the other aspects. But now, he felt empty. His surroundings were slowly drained of color. Everyone looked… grey. The feeling of heat, of warmth, dissipated. He had underestimated the power of his friendship with Luhan and now the only thing he had to replace it was the imminent loneliness.

 

Baekhyun sighed as thoughts kept swirling in his head. He hadn’t been paying attention at all to people around him until a familiar red-head took the seat beside him. Baekhyun turned to the left to confirm that someone actually taken the seat beside him. And there he was – that weird grin of his smiling at him like it was the happiest day of his life. 

 

”Hi!” Chanyeol whispered to not interrupt Mr. Jang while he started up the lesson.

 

”Hi.” Baekhyun whispered back.

 

He didn’t know if he should be grateful or weirded out that someone actually chose to sit beside him during the conjoined classes. Normally, everyone had a seat mate that they had to sit with throughout the whole school year. However, since the classrooms in the main building where like auditoriums, rows upon rows of chairs with a belonging table, there were no specific seats assigned. Hence, the classrooms were huge and therefore also more spacious. There were numerous empty seats all around the room and yet the tall, lanky guy that he knocked into the other day decided to sit right next to him. 

 

 

⋆⋆⋆⋆

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t understand. That dork had sat down with him during lunch without even hesitating. Some other guys had called him over to their table but he’d just shrugged them off. They hadn’t spoken to each other, he’d just sat there making him company. And every time Baekhyun had looked at him questioningly he had just smiled. 

 

I don’t get it. 

 

 

⋆⋆⋆⋆

 

 

Baekhyun was quite positive that Chanyeol would sit beside him during math as well, but when he actually appeared by his side it caught him off guard for a second.

 

There are almost sixty students in this class and he still chooses to sit beside me?

 

 

⋆⋆⋆⋆

 

 

Hesitation crept up to his gut when he was finally met with a shiny golden sign on a dark wooden door. He had been thinking about it for hours and this was the only solution he had come up with. He didn’t like it, at all, but his school life had changed so drastically that difficult measures had to be taken. 

 

With a heavy sigh he knocked on the door.

 

”Come in.” And as the dark voice indicated, he opened the door carefully and stepped inside the office.

 

”What can I do for you Joonmyun?” The principal folded his hands together after indicating the student to take a seat.

 

”I would like to ask for a favor, sir.” Joonmyun answered, head lowered down slightly. 

 

”It’s after school hours Joonmyun, you don’t have to be so formal with your own father.” The middle-aged man said with a small smile.

 

”I… I’d like to be changed to 4B.”

 

His father’s eyebrows knitted together in confusion. A long moment past before he spoke up. ”You know I have always trusted your way of reasoning and coming to a logic conclusion, right?”

 

Joonmyun nodded lightly.

 

”And I have never allowed a change of class before, especially for a senior like yourself.”

 

He nodded again, this time averting his eyes.

 

”So there must be a very good reason to this sudden and, well, quite frankly extravagant act.” 

 

”I-”

 

”But I also know that you would never ask me something like this if it wasn’t very private and very urgent.” 

 

Joonmyun sighed while he nodded once again, hot tears threatening behind his eyes to emerge. He hated that his father knew him so well and yet he’d kept him so many secrets.

 

”So for this once, and only this once, I’ll make an exception.” His father reached out for his hand and he returned the gesture as he finally looked up to lock gazes. ”But Joonmyun, don’t let this ever happen again. Understood?” 

 

Joonmyun nodded once more to the tender words and with a squeeze of a hand his father proceeded to work with the paperwork for the transfer.

 

”Beginning on Monday morning you’ll be part of 4B. Does that sound good?”

 

”Yes, thank you, dad.” 

 

”You’re welcome, son. I’ll bring home the scheme of 4B’s classes tonight so you can start preparing for the next week.”

 

 

⋆⋆⋆⋆

 

 

Art. The only good thing about art was sitting with someone he got along with. Nowadays he didn’t sit beside Sehun other than during art class. Kyungsoo figured that it probably was because of what happened with Luhan and Baekhyun, or maybe he just needed some space for himself. Either way, the easy-flowing conversations they had before had converted into these stiff and awkward exchange of words every now and then. But what can I do about it really?

 

”Good Morning students!”

 

”Good morning Miss Hwa.” Everyone answered as they sat down at their assigned table. 

 

Unlike the other classrooms in the main building, the art room was like a regular classroom but on a much larger scale. The walls were covered in paintings from former students and there were shelves filled with utensils and all sorts of different material to work with. 

 

”I have good news for you all!” She clapped her hands together. ”Since you all seemed to get along so nicely last time I have decided that you’ll sit where you are currently sitting permanently!” Miss Hwa cheered.

 

Kyungsoo internally groaned while everyone else either sulked or protested.

 

”Oh, come on, cheer up, it isn’t so bad!” She tried to lift up the mood. ”Okay, I can agree to let you choose freely what seat you want to sit on, but only if it is at the same table.”

 

Oh, great, so I can sit beside Jongin, or Sehun, or both of them!  Just… Great.

 

”Today we’ll continue with the ’get to know each other’ theme by starting a project!” Miss Hwa went to her desk and picked up a large paper with a painting on it. ”It’s called The Four Seasons, and as you can see I’ve painted a house in the forest, but each corner of the paper is a different season.”

 

Kyungsoo tilted his head a bit as he admired the beautiful painting.

 

”Now, your task is to divide the seasons by the group members and then make a coherent painting together. It doesn’t have to be one scenario divided into four like I did. It can also be what you all interpret each season like. As long as they blend in together nicely and each one of you have something to do you’ll do a great job.”

 

She walked towards the supplies shelves. ”You can use anything from these shelves to make your artwork, everything from watercolors to simple pencils, just make sure you stick to one style.” 

 

A guy in the front of the classroom raised his hand. 

 

”Yes, Mr. Yoo?”

 

”What about clay?” 

 

”Oh, right. We will skip the clay this time Mr. Yoo.” She answered with a smile. ”Shall we start then?”

 

A mutual agreement swept over the room.

 

”Alright, let’s begin! Oh, and remember, this is art, there is no correct answer. Your imagination is the key to success!”  

 

 

⋆⋆⋆⋆

 

 

”Okay, what season do you guys pref-”

 

”Winter.” Kyungsoo and Jongin said simultaneously interrupting Taehyun. Kyungsoo looked up to see the glare Jongin was sending him from his seat. ”I said it first.” They said once again in unison. ”No, you didn’t!” 

 

”Stop it.” Sehun interrupted, banging both of his fists into the table just loud enough for them to hear.

 

”Yeah, that kind of freaked me out a bit.” Taehyun whispered from Kyungsoo’s left. He looked down at the table when he felt both Kyungsoo’s and Jongin’s glare on him.

 

”I’ll take spring if nobody else wants it.” Sehun declared and waited for someone to protest, but not a word was spoken.

 

”I can take summer then.” Taehyun said.

 

”And I’ll take winter.” Jongin added with determination. 

 

”Why should you take winter?” Kyungsoo argued. 

 

”Because my birthday is in January!” Jongin fired back while leaning a bit forward.

 

”Yeah? Well, newsflash: mine is too!” Kyungsoo shot back, imitating the other’s movement. Jongin’s stand faltered a bit as he was taken aback by the sudden information.

 

”Really?” He asked surprised.

 

”Yes.” Kyungsoo muttered as he sat back. 

 

”Wait, this could actually work.” Sehun interrupted, putting his hands flat on the table right in between the two. 

 

”You solve their quarrels and I’ll go fetch the materials.” Taehyun said before leaving.

 

”How?” Jongin asked.

 

”The youngest of the two loses. Deal?” Sehun suggested.

 

Kyungsoo smirked inwardly.

 

You’ve got no idea how badly you're gonna lose Jongin.

 

”Fine.” Kyungsoo answered.

 

”Fine.”

 

”Let me see your student IDs.” Sehun said and extended both his hands. It was a rule to always have the ID with you on school grounds.

 

Jongin handed his over and folded his arms, leaning back.

 

”Don’t be so full of yourself.” Kyungsoo said, eyes on Jongin while he placed his ID in Sehun’s left hand.

 

The blonde guy took a good look at them. ”Jongin, you’re born the 14th.”

 

”That’s right.” He answered.

 

”And you Kyungsoo,” Sehun looked down again to confirm the date. ”are born the 12th.”

 

”Yes!” Jongin shouted a tad bit too loud while punching the air with his fists. ”Take that, seat mate.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckled and smirked, head shaking as he savoured his moment of superiority and Jongin’s ignorance.

 

”Look at the year.” He said to the tanned boy and pointed at his ID.

 

Jongin furrowed his eyebrows and grabbed Kyungsoo’s ID from Sehun’s hands, eyes scanning it thoroughly.

 

”You’re a year older?!” He said in disbelief.

 

”That’s right.” Kyungsoo answered slowly as he reached for his ID. ”Which means I win.” 

 

”It doesn’t matter really.” Sehun added. ”With or without an added year he’s still two days older than you Jongin.”  

 

Kyungsoo pocketed his ID and smiled when Taehyun arrived with all different colors and brushes. 

 

”Oh… Right. Math. Not my forte.” Jongin rubbed the back of his neck.

 

”I hope you painting red leaves is, seat mate.”

 

Jongin huffed, although secretly glancing at the older every now and then. 

 

 

⋆⋆⋆⋆

 

 

"How's everything been since we last met Kyungsoo?" The female voice resonated through the small room. 

 

The warm-toned light that shined from her green desk lamps made the wooden furniture look darker. The place was familiar, but even after three months he still felt uncomfortable sitting on the auburn velvet chaise lounge. 

 

"A lot of things have happened since we last met." 

 

She took a black fountain pen and opened the little dark green notebook of hers. 

 

"What has happened since we last met two weeks ago?" 

 

"A lot of things." Kyungsoo repeated. He watched her push up the frame of her glasses. 

 

"Okay, let's start with your seat mate. How has he been to you lately?" 

 

"Depends on when."

 

"What do you mean?" She asked softly.

 

"He is very... protective over himself." 

 

She nodded, starting to scribble down things.

 

"I brought him home once." Kyungsoo said quietly. 

 

Her head shot up and looked at him surprised. 

 

"Is that so? How come?" 

 

”I… Don't know." He clutched his hands into his shirt as he remembered. 

 

”Come to my place.” It had been spontaneous and it’d sounded way better in his head even if it had only been during a second. 

 

”Why would I?” 

 

He couldn’t come up with a single reason to why he had invited the other over just like that. 

 

”For no reason at all.”

 

Jongin arched his eyebrow slightly and eyed him.

 

”Fine.”

"Is this the first person you have brought home since the incident last year?" 

 

Kyungsoo's body jolted when he heard the word 'incident'. 

 

"Yes..." He whispered.

 

"How does that make you feel?" 

 

Kyungsoo sat quietly for a while. His therapist looked up after a moment had passed.

 

"We should talk about it instead of you keeping your feelings to yourself Kyungsoo." 

 

Another moment passed.

 

"Kyungsoo?" Her soft voice remained in the same tone. 

 

"I regret it." 

 

He noticed that his answer concerned her. 

 

”What do you regret Kyungsoo?”

 

He exhaled deeply. ”Taking him home.”

 

”Did something happen?" 

 

He knew what she was referring to, and he hated to be reminded of that. 

 

"No, nothing happened." Kyungsoo answered. A strong pressure behind his eyes made him realize that he would soon start to well up. "I actually had fun." And there they were, the hot tears making his eyes sparkle. 

 

"Then why are you crying Kyungsoo?" 

 

"Because it didn't change anything." He brushed away the tears that were threatening to fall. "What happened still happened, Jongin returned to his old manners and now the only two people that are kind of my friends fought and went separate ways." 

 

”Kyungsoo, take a deep breath." She said as she went to his side and helped him sit up straight. 

 

He did as he was told, and after some time he spilled as much as he could about what had happened.