Chapter 2

Self-Defense

Heechul drove like a maniac to the classes and had Kyuhyun clutching to the sidebar for dear life. It was quite close to their apartment, he noticed.

“Hyung,” he gritted out. “Why’d you have to take the car if the classes are so close by?”

Heechul snorted. “You forget I have to go to work after this, nerd. Shut up and be grateful that I’m not making your sorry walk. Besides, you’d burn in the sun considering you’re a vampire and all that.”

Kyuhyun just glared and got out of the car. He looked up and spotted the board, ‘Raccoon Taekwondo Classes.’ Amused, he turned to Heechul for an explanation.

“Oh, that. He lost a bet with me in college and the consequences were that if he were to start a business he would name it Raccoon ltd. or something like that.” 

“And what were the consequences if you lost the bet?” enquired Kyuhyun curiously.

Heechul smirked. “I had to wear a mini-dress and seduce one of his homophobic friends.”

Kyuhyun wolf-whistled at the mental image.

“You know hyung if we weren’t related, I’d totally sleep with you,” he said sleazily.

“Aish, greasy dongsaeng, don’t let Hankyung hear that,” complained Heechul, shoving him playfully.

They entered the building, still bickering. Heechul bypassed the receptionist, waving at her and entered the practice room. Kyuhyun looked around, unimpressed. It looked pretty plain with teakwood floors and mirrors covering the walls. His musing was interrupted by a loud, booming voice.

“Heenim!”

He turned around and spotted a bulky man picking up Heechul in a bear hug. Kyuhyun looked at the scene with undisguised shock. Heechul rarely let anyone except Hankyung hug him and yet here he was, laughing with the scary looking man.

“Yah put me down you big bear or I’ll scream ,” laughed Heechul.

Kangin leered. “It won’t be if it’s consensual.”

“Oh my god what is it with you people today?” whined Heechul. “First Kyuhyun goes all greasy on me and now you.”

Kangin just laughed and put him down. He beckoned Kyuhyun forward and introduced himself.

“I’m Kim Youngwoon, but you can call me Kangin,” he said extending a hand forward.

“Cho Kyuhyun. On the behalf of my family, I’d like to thank you for taking care of Heechul hyung during his wild days.”

“Most of the time it was Heenim taking care of me,” he smiled. “Now come on, let’s get you changed and ready before the rest of the class comes in. The changing rooms are to the left and I’ve laid out a dobok for you next to your locker.”

Kyuhyun grabbed the locker keys from Kangin and waved his goodbye to Heechul. He left them to catch up and walked towards the rooms.

“So,” began Kangin. “He doesn’t look like much.”

“I know,” sighed Heechul. “I just want him to be able to take care of himself in case Hankyung and I aren’t around.”

“I understand completely. How is hyung anyway? Did he finally get rid of his accent?”

Both of them snickered, remembering Hankyung during his early years in Korea.

“Yeah, he did. Anyway I need to leave, my report is due today and my editor is on my . We should make plans, so call me okay?”

“I will,” Kangin promised. “Jungsoo wants to meet you.”

Heechul nodded and left with a smile. At least one good thing came out of the mugging.

 Kyuhyun sighed as he took in his image in front of the mirror. He looked like an absolute dork, well, more than usual. He heard Kangin call for him and hastily shoved his clothes into the locker. He walked back to the practice room and saw Kangin stretching.

“I asked Heenim to bring you today because we generally don’t have classes on Mondays. This way I can bring you up to speed with the rest of the class.”

Kyuhyun nodded apprehensively. They started out with basic stretching exercises, the taekwondo master pushing Kyuhyun’s unprepared body to its limits. By the time they were done loosening their muscles, he was already a panting mess. Kangin looked at him unimpressed and shook his head.

“You’ll need to try a lot harder than that if you want to do any better. You’re here just for a week so if you want me to help you, you’re going to have to put in a lot more effort. We’ll stick to exercises today because I don’t think your body can handle anything else.”

Kyuhyun’s flushed face was enough of an answer and they took a five minute break before continuing. A grueling three hours later, they were done with every type of exercise that Kangin could think of. Finally, he took pity on Kyuhyun and allowed him to go home.

After changing and enquiring about the next day’s class, Kyuhyun thanked him and left the building. Kangin’s words echoed in his mind, remember not to take a rest immediately after you get home or else your body will hurt more and you’ll have to call me sabom-nim from tomorrow. He slowly walked to the apartment, his aching body protesting with every step. Somehow, he made it back in one piece and let out a relieved breath when he reached the front door.

As soon as he entered was assaulted by a delicious aroma and voices in the kitchen. Curious, he tiptoed into the kitchen and found Ryeowook, Hankyung and Zhou Mi baking brownies. Zhou Mi is the first one to spot him and within a second he’s being hugged to death.

“Mimi, I can’t breathe,” he gasped, as his already sore body got squeezed.

“Sorry, Kui Xian. It’s been so long since I saw you! You barely drop by the restaurant anymore.”

Zhou Mi was the maître d at the same restaurant as Hankyung. They met when Heechul took him to meet Hankyung for the first time and got along like a house on fire. If Zhou Mi wasn’t already in a steady relationship, Kyuhyun was sure they’d be married already.

“What are you freeloaders doing here anyway?”

Ryeowook huffed. “You’re such a rude , Cho. Why am I even friends with you? If you must know, we were helping hyung bake brownies for you.”

“Ryeowookie, you know I love you.”

Ryeowook gagged as the others laughed at Kyu’s failed aegyo. Hankyung skillfully served up four plates of brownies embellished with chocolate syrup and strawberries and watched happily as his donsaengs dug in.

“Oh, hyung,” moaned Kyuhyun around a mouthful. “I now know why Heechul hyung loves you so much.”

“Yes,” came the amused reply. “I’m sure that’s the case. Anyway, tell me about your first day of taekwondo. Was Kangin too rough on you?”

With a pitiful voice, Kyuhyun recounted the past three hours. While he expected sympathy, all he got was a whole lot of laughter and teasing. Ryeowook was the worst.

“You deserve it, Kyu. If you don’t learn how to defend yourself, at least you’ll learn how to observe your surroundings. There are a lot of sick people out there.”

Kyuhyun just huffed and announced that he was going to take a nap. After making Hankyung promise to wake him up in two hours and being hugged to death by Zhou Mi (again) and Ryeowook he collapsed on his bed, asleep before his head hit the pillow.


A/N: Dobok is the traditional uniform worn for taekwondo and sabom-nim is how you address the taekwondo teacher (please correct me if I'm wrong) Sungmin will make an appearance in the next chapter. Enjoy! :)

Please read and review!