Aren't They Pretty

Aren't They Pretty

They met when they were nine. He had saved him. 

They fell in love when they were seventeen. He had confessed to him. 

They married when they were twenty. He promised him forever and a day.

They lived together when they were twenty-five. He didn't live a day past twenty-two. 

 

"Aren't they pretty gege?" 

Tao always asked this question. Since the first day that they met, when Tao saved Kris from getting beat up by some older kids at the playground. Naturally, when you have a cold-faced martial arts master save you, you don't expect the next words to come out of their mouth to be "aren't they pretty gege?" while pointing to some flowers in the ground. But, nevertheless that's how the friendship started. That's how they met. And Kris wouldn't have it any other way. 

 

"Aren't they pretty gege?" 

Kris nodded once again, laughing as the seventeen year old Tao, still acted like he was nine as they walked through the mall hand in hand. Rather than pointing at flowers however, he pointed at Gucci bags. Bags that he knew Kris would eventually buy for him, because he has the giant wrapped around his little finger. That's how Kris confessed. With a little note saying I like you in a Gucci wallet that was left in Tao's locker. Of course, Tao had to but, nevertheless that's how the relationship worked. That's how they loved. And Kris wouldn't have it any other way. 

 

"Aren't they pretty gege?"

Tao grabbed Kris's hand holding up their matching rings in the middle of the ceremony, bringing laughter from the crowd. At this point, Kris doesn't answer the question, but rather gave him a knowing smile. It was their way of communicating, Tao always asked the same question and Kris never really gave an answer, except for today. 

"They are pretty Tao. Pretty enough to last for forever and a day." And with that he swooped his lover into a kiss that both of them couldn't help but to smile into. That was until Tao pulled away, to playfully slap the other complaining about how he wasn't ready, but nevertheless that's how their love worked. That's how they lived. And Kris wouldn't have it any other way. 

 

"Aren't they pretty gege?" 

Kris wanted to scream No. He wanted to shout and cry and just roll up and die a million times over. Because Tao couldn't hear him say no. He couldn't hear Kris's opposition to the amount of cuts that littered his body. He couldn't feel Kris pull him into a hug telling him everything is ok. The elder's entire body shaking as he sobbed, not caring about the blood that stained his clothes. It was his fault for missing their anniversary, their birthdays, their holidays. All for a stupid job and a stupid drink. And as Kris ran his hands over the 24 gashing wounds in his lover he fell apart piece by piece. But nevertheless that's how Tao died. That's how Kris died mentally. And Kris would have it any other way.