Chapter three

Love defect

"Why is my name on your arm?"

 

"What?" Jonghyun asks staring at Onew with wide eyes.

"My name. It's on your wrist." He replies, meeting Jonghyun's confused gaze with a cool, but equally questioning one.

"No." Jonghyun says slowly. "The name Jinki is on my wrist."

"Right." Onew agrees, throwing Jonghyun off completely.

"But your name is Onew?" Jonghyun says, though weather it was to remind himself or Onew he isn't all too sure.

"Right, yeah.." Onew says scratching the back of his head. "That's actually just a nickname Taemin, my brother came up with when we were kids"

Jonghyun gives him an odd look. "You mean to say you go around using a nickname you were given as a child?"

Onew smiles brightly. "Yeah, I think it's cute."

Jonghyun, is so caught up in the fact that this person in front of him happily goes about his life using a childish nickname given to him by a sibling, that he has almost entirely forgotten the fact that he has actually found his Jinki! His one and only soul mate is stood no less than a foot away from him covered in drink and smiling so brightly it could probably put the sun out of business, but he was so caught up on a silly little detail like a nickname for it to even register in his mind.

"Why would you even go round using a fake name? It's just confusing to those of us trying to find Jinki's" Jonghyun mumbles grumpily.

"Well how was I supposed to know that there was someone looking for a Jinki?" Onew says back, trying to lighten Jonghyun's mood.

But Jonghyun just pouts more and grumbles, "Well it's not like I could put posters up"

Onew laughs at his silly behavior as Jonghyun continues.

"Wanted: A boy named Jinki. Please report any Jinki's found to Kim Jonghyun at Small World Coffee House"

"I don't know," Onew says still laughing. "It has a bit of a ring to it. It would have definitely gotten my attention at least."

"Then I shall have to build a time machine and tell my past self that the best way to find you is by poster."

"But why would you be looking for me i the first place?" Onew asks still somewhat confused.

"Because you're Jinki." Jonghyun says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. It took him a few moments to realize that although Love Defect's were common enough, Onew was a virtual stranger and neither knew Jonghyun had one, or that he had spent his entire life obsessing over finding "him".  So he tried to explain.

"I mean..." Jonghyun starts, but stops because he becomes lost for words. How do you tell someone they're your soul mate without sounding like a total creep?

"I was born with the name Jinki on my wrist." He begins again.

"You mean like a Love Defect?" Onew asks quietly.

"Yeah. " Jonghyun agrees, "Exactly. And anyway, so I sort of decided when I was young that I was going to find him. This Jinki. And everyone has been telling me to give up for years, but I just knew I would find him. And today at the coffee shop my mark, it changed colour." Jonghyun pauses for breath, and also to sneak a look at Onew to see if he was keeping up with everything. However Onew's face was not giving anything away.

"But of course, like the idiot I am I had no idea when it could have changed."

"You didn't feel it change?" Onew asks quietly. And Jonghyun just shakes his head before continuing with his dramatic retelling of his day.

"And then, here I am at this lame party my best friend dragged me to when I manage to spill my drink all down some poor unsuspecting person who then turns out to not only be the person who soaked me with coffee this morning, but also my god damn freaking soul mate because holy cow he's called Jinki and has a smile like sunshine."

Jonghyun mentally head-desks about that last part and cringes as he waits for any kind of reply from Onew.

Onew could only smile. This situation was so far from anything he knew how to handle. A cute boy stood in front of him flustered and telling him his smile was like sunshine. Never mind the whole soul mate thing, Onew was intrigued by this strange boy in front of him.

"My smile is like sunshine?" Onew laughs as he nudges Jonghyun's shoulder.

"Well... I mean" Jonghyun babbles trying to take it back. "It's not exactly like sunshine."

"Then what is it like?" Onew asks teasing. Only, Jonghyun is so flustered he doesn't realize that Onew is joking.

"It's like... It's pretty." He says with a pout.

"Pretty?" Onew says with mock hurt. "Men are supposed to be handsome or y."

Jonghyun just smiles and replies. "But you're too pretty and innocent looking."

"Fine." Onew huffs. "But you cant talk."

"What do you mean?" Jonghyun asks incredulously.

"You look like a dinosaur, or maybe a lama." Onew replies smirking.

The two of them continue joking around and teasing each other as if they had known each other for years and not hours. Around them the party was going on at full steam, with loud music and drunk teenagers everywhere. It was safe to say that the drink Jonghyun split was neither the first or last spillage of the night, and the poor souls who would have the god awful job of cleaning this place after tonight were going to have a lot of scrubbing to do. Everyone was in good cheer however, as there were various drinking games going on and lots of joyful shouts and merry singing, regardless of what was currently playing through the speakers. After a while however, the two boys decided it was a bit too loud to talk inside the house so they decided to go and look for somewhere quieter to talk. Somewhere that didn't require them to shout in each others ears quite as much, as they were sure that too much of that would not feel good in the morning.

"How about on that bench over there?" Jonghyun suggests. Pointing to a small bench on the other side of the road. It's an old stone bench that has some sort of memorial plaque on it. But over the years the names and inscription have worn away, just leaving the bench which is becoming overgrown with ivy and moss.

"Yeah over there should be fine." Onew says as he heads across the road to sit on said bench.

However, once they sit down, both of them seem to get lost in their own thoughts. So although the air is free from tension or any awkwardness, neither is there any talking.

Jonghyun is busy wondering if this is all even real or if he actually passed out at the part and this is all just some kind of weird dream. While Onew on the other hand is wondering how his night has gone from being so terribly normal to sitting on a bench with someone he's never met before, who's telling him that they're soul mates.

Neither one says anything for quite some time.

The first to speak however, is Jonghyun.

"Jinki?" He starts and then catches himself. "Or should I call you Onew?"

Onew takes a moment to reply. "Either is fine. Onew is more comfortable though."

"Right, okay." Jonghyun says nodding. "So, Onew." He begins, taking a breath to steady himself. "I was just wondering... if maybe we could see each other again? You know, like for a date or something?"

Onew is slightly taken back by the request. Though really of course he knew that Jonghyun would want to meet again, only the reality hadn't really sunk in until that moment. It was a little strange.

"I'm not sure Jonghyun. It's not that I don't like you. You seem really nice. But I'm not sure how I feel about this whole soul mate thing. I mean, you only want to go out with me because of a birthmark." Onew doesn't want to hurt the boys feelings, but at the same time, they hardly know each other.

"Okay, I'll grant that I was totally hung up on the whole soul mate thing. Still am. But I still want to get to know you. Not because of anything other than the fact that I am fascinated by a guy who manages to spill a whole coffee down someone in an empty coffee shop."

"Hey!" Onew interrupts him. "You walked into me too."

"I know." Jonghyun smiles. "My point is. I want to get to know you. Not my soul mate."

Onew still looked reluctant.

"One date. Just one date. If it's still weird we can call it off. I promise I wont pressure you or pursue you."

"Just one date?" Onew asks skeptically. "You promise?"

Jonghyun grins and mimes crossing his heart. "I promise."

"Fine." Onew says, smiling slightly himself. "One date."

"Yes!" Jonghyun cheers. "I GOT A DATE WITH THE CUTEST BOY."  He yells into the empty street.

"Shut up you idiot, you'll wake people up."

But Jonghyun doesn't care. He hurriedly writes down his phone number and hands it to Onew.

"I have to go now. My idiot best friend is drunk and I need to carry him home." Jonghyun says and he run off down the street waving. "Call me" He yells over his shoulder when he realizes he hadn't said anything about the number he just handed to the other boy.

Onew just smiles bemused as he watches Jonghyun run back to the party. He also chuckles to himself as he writes out a new text to 'Lama face'.

Friday. 8PM. Pick me up outside your coffee shop.

Jinki x

 



~A/N~ I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update! And after leaving you on a cliffhanger too! I'm so bad! But I was just so busy last week. It was like the whole world decided to need me for something. But I am back and I hope this wasn't disappointing after the wait you've had. And thank you thank you thank you to everyone who has subscribed and commented you people are all amazing and I love you <3