Chapter one

Love defect

 

"Isn't it about time you thought about finding yourself a girlfriend?" Kevin askes, turning to look at Jonghyun.

"I've told you already, I'm waiting." Jonghyun replies.

"Oh right yeah. You're soul mate Jinri or whatever he's called." Kevin scoffes.

"Jinki." Jonghyun corrects.

"Whatever." Kevin mumbles, giving Jonghyun a strange look. "I didn't think you were being that serious about it. I mean there's next to no chance of you finding him."

"I've still got to at least try"

"But you'll just end up wasting your life following hopeless false trails" Kevin replies.

"What if I dont end up like that though? What if I find him?" Jonghyun counters, suddenly looking much more determined.

"That's a rather big 'what if' to waste your life on."

"So what am I supposed to do?" Jonghyun almost yells.

"Move on. Get a girlfriend." Kevin says.

"Wow, thank you Mr helpful for finally showing me the futility of my ways. I will stop waiting for pure love at once and run off into the night to pick up the very first thing with a pulse I find." Jonghyun replies while theatrically waving his arms around.

"Whoa, no need to be an , I just don't want to see you end up like those people you see on TV."

"Yeah, I know." Jonghyun pauses, "but I'm 19 god damn it.

"When I turn 70 and am raving about soul mates, fake moon landings and how nurses are stealing my money, then you can all worry. But until then, Im going to keep waiting for Jinki."

Kevin stares at him for a while and then laughs. "Why on earth would nurses be stealing your money?"

"Oh, they wont be. But I'll keep on losing loose change down the sofa and I'll be convinced people are stealing my 20p's."

"Seriously man, how does your brain even come up with that?"

"What? It's a real thing. A lady in the nursing home I volunteered in while I was in college was adamant that this nurse called Beth was stealing her 10, 20 and 5 pence coins!" 

"Well, was she?"

"Of course not you idiot. It was all down the side of her bedside table." Jonghyun laughs.

"Whatever man." Kevin says laughing. "We better get back to work before someone notices we're not doing anything."

As Kevin walks back to the cash register and Jonghyun gets the spray cleaner and cloth from under the counter a customer with short brown hair entered the cafe and Jonghyun recognized him as a regular. The boy didn't stay long though as he orders his drink for takeaway. Jonghyun doesn't really pay attention to Kevin and the boys small exchange as he goes about clearing tables and by the time he is walking back with the empty cups and plates the boy has already gone.

"Shame." Jonghyun thinks, as that was the fist customer they'd had in a little while seeing as it is four o'clock on a Tuesday afternoon. Things wont pick up again for another half hour.

"That guy who just came in, he looks familiar, right?" Kevin asks when Jonghyun is finished loading the dishwasher with the empties.

"I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention." And after a moment he added "But I think he's a regular, so maybe that's it?" 

"No" Kevin replies while still lost in thought, "that's not it"

"Well as exciting as you thinking is, I'm going to go take the order from that table" Jonghyun announced as he walked over to a group of girls who just sat down.

"See if one of them is willing to date a hopeless idiot like you" Kevin calls after him just as Jonghyun reaches the table. Kevin then runs to take cover in the cafe's tiny kitchen before Jonghyun can come back and hurt him.

Jonghyun just sighs as all the girls on the table giggle and he accidentally blushes slightly.


~~~~~


The rest of Jonghyun's shift went by in a similar way. And as he predicted it did indeed get busier by quarter to five, as people often stopped by their cafe after work or class.

However after his conversation with Kevin, he was never quite able to take his mind off of Jinki. Which, although that was not a rare thing, it wasn't as if he went through his life obsessing about the other man. He simply had a lot of questions. Like, "what is your dream?" or "do you like music?" and simpler things like "How would my name sound on your lips?" or "What colour are your eyes?"

Yes, Jonghyun did know it was rather stupid to spend his time thinking about these useless things considering he was no doubt going to be wrong. But after 19 years with another person's name on your wrist, you're bound to spend at least some time contemplating what sort of person they are. Especially when said person is supposed to be your soul mate. 

Also, Jonghyun wasn't as stupid and people seemed to think he was. He knew very well the disappointment he could be building himself up for, and he had decided many years ago that if, by 25 he had not found his Jinki then he would stop looking and waiting. He didn't like to think about that all that much though. It felt too similar to giving up, and he didn't like the thought of that.

He may not be perfect but Kim Jonghyun was certainly no quitter. He had even gotten all A's in his A levels thank you very much, and he was also very intent on going to University to become a big shot music producer. He just had to earn enough money to be able to go first. He has two thousand saved up so far, which has taken him since he was 15 and many, many summer jobs to earn. He would also sometimes gets some money playing his guitar in the cafe on Saturdays. That's actually how he got the job he has now. One night after a gig he noticed they had a job going as a waiter and he asked the manager there and then if he could be considered. Two days later he got a call telling him he started on Monday morning at eight O'clock.

His life had been pretty simple since then. It followed a pretty regular routine of, work, eat, work, sleep, work, hang out with dumb best friend Minho, sleep, work, repeat. He couldn't complain much though. He got to watch his saving slowly increase week by week, he could play his guitar often and he had good friends to spend his precious spare time with. Yeah, Jonghyun was pretty happy with his life, he didn't mind that he might have to wait a while to find his Jinki. 

 


 

~A/N~ Ha. Hey there... So this has like way more subscribers than im used to.. and it's crazy.. im also sorry for how terribly British I am.. so if there are any sort of slang stuff I've used that doesn't make sense feel free to ask about them or just shout at me, that works too :3

But yes! Story! First actual chapter! I'm hoping they'll get longer, but I am a serial short-chapter-writer. And I'm also not sure if the next chapter will be in Jonghyun or Jinki's POV, since I cant decide if I want to write it from both sides or just Jonghyun's... but either way I'm sure I'll update again in the next week or so, so you'll find out then... aaaand I hope this didnt OTL <3

Thank you to everyone who has subscribed <3 ily all