Alien Owl

Red Thread of Fate

     Somehow, Junki had found himself sitting under the icy water, shivering so hard his teeth chattered. Hyunjoong stood in front of him a safe distance from the falls.

 

     "You're not clearing your mind!" He shouted over the roar of the water. "Your body won't even notice the cold if you stop thinking about it!"

 

     Junki just glared. He burned holes into Hyunjoong's face. "Have you ever done this?"

 

     The young boy simply nodded, blinking those owly eyes. "Yes."

 

     Of course he had.

 

'~'~'~'

 

     It'd been a few weeks, and the odd Hyunjoong would somehow meet Junki after school and drag him to the shop. The first time he'd shown up was still etched in Junki's memory.

 

     A few girls surrounded the high schooler, the one with too much make up and perfume clinging to his arm. They were all warring for his attention when the owl of a person popped up in front of him, much like the first time they'd met.

 

     "Hello~" Hyunjoong waved both hands and smiled up at Junki. Then he proceeded to drag the older one away, leaving the girls stunned and confused.

 

     Junki had to shake his head with a smile. Hyunjoong was definitely different. There was no situation that was too complex. Answers were right there on his tongue before a question was asked.

 

     And now he sat under the fall next to Junki, whom he'd deemed it was okay to call "hyung." Junki still shivered and glared at the kid who was sitting there solving a rubix cube.

 

     "Show off."

 

     "Just stop thinking."

 

     "Stop showing off."

 

     "When you stop thinking."

 

     Hyunjoong placed the cube, now solved, in front of Junki and stood up. There wasn't a trace of chill on the boy. Junki stared up at the other in awe. He still didn't know how this kid could claim to be human.

 

     '~'~'~'

 

     The next week, Hyunjoong gave him an unsolved rubix cube. "Solve that." Then he turned away and headed out of the shop.

 

     How was he supposed to solve this before closing time? Junki stared at the cube and sighed. Might as well try.

 

     A few hours later, the old shopkeeper found Junki still under the fall, the cube not even a quarter done.

 

     "Junki," she called with a gentle smile. "Take it with you."

 

     "But... he wants me to solve it here." He wasn't even sure why he cared what Hyunjoong wanted him to do. He was older, he should have the final say.

 

     Nevertheless, Junki stood and grabbed the cube. He suddenly realized he wasn't cold at all. His mind was... quiet. He covered his face, holding back his emotions.

 

     That alien owl did this.

 

'~'~'~'

 

This one's for you, Shain44~ Thank you for reviewing and subscribing!
This is what fuels my writing. Knowing people are enjoying reading as much as I enjoy writing.
That said, I thought of this chapter while I was on my break at work.
I couldn't write it out, so I sent it all in a text to myself.
Not sure if pathetic, or clever...
Keep 4D personality~