Intro

Cinematic Moments

 

Intro – Meet the unfortunate and to a certain degree relatable protagonist.

 

Jung Daehyun the coffee shop boy who didn’t even like coffee was turning 21 in a just couple of months and surprisingly —or maybe not, he had never been in a serious relationship. And according to his close friends it was a strange, not to mention sad thing. Apparently he had the face of a player … whatever that meant, he couldn’t really say ‘thank you’ to that now could he?

 

It was easy to be him, he thought. There’s work, there’s school, there’s friends and there’s home. Sometimes he said ‘hi’ to the landlady’s bulldog and sometimes he didn’t. In between everything he hadn’t really thought much of the, you know —‘I want a lover’ sort of thing. Of course there were times especially during holidays when he lied in bed and wondered how it would be like with someone holding him in their arms, but other than that he was too busy living his painfully ordinary life to get too deep into it. Or maybe life was too busy avoiding him. Well, whichever made him feel better.

 

Okay, fine.

 

Maybe he thought about it more often than he would like to admit and maaaybe  he was just somewhere below desperate. Can you blame him? He simply wanted someone he could walk up to and kiss on the cheek just because it felt right.

 

But it proved to be more difficult than he thought, hence the existence of the bitter version of him. Let’s by the way call him DB, shortage for Daebutt though no one has to know that. DB liked to make an appearance every time he walked down the street and saw couples holding hands and then he’d just ‘happen’ to walk through the connected space between them. Daehyun washed his hands clean during those occasions. It was after all purely DB’s doing. In his line of business, whenever he turned to the coffee maker and brought forward a pair of cups for a couple on a cute date he would, correction DB would somewhere in the back of his mind wish their day would end well not horrendously because that would just be mean, but at least unpleasant.  Sometimes he’d feel guilty and give them an extra cookie as service and then he’d go back to hating the idea of a brighter world with two of everything in general. It .

 

That’s why Daehyun liked cakes better; cakes were good single or double. So he left the coffee part to Himchan, who by the way loved coffee more than anything. And that was in his humble opinion was also quite sad.

 

Daehyun’s wasn’t completely oblivious; he knew there were people who looked at him approvingly and frankly sometimes he’d look back in the exact same manner; because one can be appreciative of good looks without ulterior motives. For instance, he found his colleague and good friend, Himchan very handsome. His friend who was three years older could be described as striking with his annoying sculpted face and perfect skin. Daehyun was often honest about that, especially whenever his hyung magically found a reason to go on a diet. Well, that and because he figured it was hell of a lot easier to get whatever job done if he called everyone handsome or beautiful. Genuinely, of course… most of the time.

 

He’d honest and say that he preferred men. But unfortunately, other men didn’t seem to prefer him. There have been several times where waves of mutual interest were evident but then they always managed to ebb out over night or well, a week to be more precise. He could never tell if it was his fault or if the other simply moved on to someone with a more captivating character.

 

“Stop being so ing shy and just do something!” his oh-so-amazingly-supportive friend would tell him whenever he was found sulking in some corner. But it was easier said than done. He might not look like it, but he had this huge trouble with talking to people he hadn’t practically known since the day he lost his first tooth. To take orders from strangers was fine, to exchange coffee, smoothies and cakes for a couple of thousands won was simple enough and nothing could really go wrong there now could it? But anything beyond that… was just— plain awkward.

 

His smile got him far, but not as far as one would have hoped. Himchan, whenever he felt like butting in on a poor dongsaeng’s private affairs would tell him to man up and make a move. But when was the right time to make ‘the’ move? How would he know if he should even make one? What if he read the signals wrong, not everything was as simple as reading the traffic lights. And what if he turned out to be the only one wanting something serious? Because that’s what he wanted, he was out for something lasting and very very serious. He wasn’t looking for a fling and certainly not for any one night only tunes. He wanted the whole love package, wrapped in some expensive gift box with an enormous bow on top and most importantly, he wanted it safely delivered to his doorstep.

 

He wanted someone who cared, someone to save him from being stuck in the minutes while the camera kept on rolling.

 

But not anyone could do that.

 

Can you see his problem?

 

He was the main character of his own life, it was a role written solely for him and yet he had no idea how to give it his all.

 

Very unfortunate indeed.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

The first part is done! Please look out for the next!

Thank you for reading!

<3

Ivy