Regret

Limited

She looked at her reflection on the mirror. Done. She has been putting on make up for the last half and hour now, in attempt to cover her pale face. Satisfied, she put her things to the right place, took her bag and left the house. Because she was feeling better today, she decided to make a surprise visit for her beloved boyfriend, thinking that it would be nice and he would be very happy to meet her after two weeks. They haven’t meet for two weeks because of some various reasons, and one of them is because he had to go to his grandmother house to take care of her because she was sick. And because he was so busy lately.

The other reasons maybe because her relationship with her boyfriend isn’t really stable right now. They have been arguing over some little things that not even worth it, but they did anyway. She was being patient, all she did was letting him win over the argument but it looks like that he was never satisfied with just that. He would storm out of the place and leave her all alone there. He won’t apologize or even regret whatever he did.

After a good 45 minutes she finally arrived at his house. She punched the code of his house and went in. “Oppa!” she said with a loud voice.

Kai who was sleeping peacefully was abruptly awake when he heard his front door opened. Then he heard a voice that he knew so well, he sighed in relived when it’s not some sort of thief and went back to sleep. He didn’t even bother to greet Min Ji – his girlfriend, he was too tired to do so. He was deathly tired lately, not only physically but also emotionally. He always work until late, he barely get any sleep. He needed to work hard to prove to his dad that he can do it.

Min Ji frowned when no one answered her. She make her way to his bedroom and smiled a little. “Oppa. Wake up. Don’t you miss me?” she said as she walked to his bed and sit on the corner of it. He hummed as a response not having the energy to answer properly. “Oppa, let’s have a date today.” Excited, she was excited to have a date with him.

She was going to use her time well, doing all the things she wanted so she can regret nothing. She is going to use the limited time that she had wisely and be happy while it last. But maybe her plan wont work because a certain someone.

Kai didn’t response, he kept silent. “Oppa~ come on.” She whined playing with his hand. Can’t she see that I am tired?! Slightly irritated because someone was bothering him when he wanted go back to sleep “We can do it another day right?! Let’s just go tomorrow or something, we have time anyway.” He said, irritated. Kim Jongin always have a little patience and it didn’t help either that he was sleepy. But I don’t have much time left, she thought. Hiding her disappointment she smiled sadly at him “Yeah, I guess we can do it another time.” Her voice was barely a whisper, but he can feel how disappoint she is. If he was the old Kim Jongin, he would probably apologize right away and cheer her up. But that old Kim Jongin is nowhere to be found at the moment.

She gazed sadly at him and sighed. “I’ll make you breakfast.” She said leaving the bedroom. She make her way to the kitchen and look at the cabin to find what could be use for her to make a breakfast. He’s tired, that’s why, there’s nothing to worry about Jung Min Ji.

Suddenly her headache came, she wanted to vomit. She run towards the bathroom and throw up. She was drenched with sweat, she was already used to this. Throwing up, headache, blurry vision. She washed her face, and look at her reflection at the mirror. She was pale, the make up sure are helping to cover her pale face, but it still evident that she was sick.

She hurriedly searched for her medicine. When she spotted it inside her bag, she took it and took the pills.

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but you have a brain cancer. It already spread all over. We can’t do anything with it.” the doctor said patting her hand to show her his sympathy. “You are young, very very young. We can try to reduce the pain by doing chemotherapy, it wont make it gone, but it can prevent it to spread. And I’ll give you pain killer, you can take it whenever you feel like you can’t endure it anymore. It will help you to reduce the pain.” He said as he scribbled something on the paper. Her parents who were sobbing because of the awful truth didn’t utter a word. She was also in a daze. So I’m going to die soon, she thought. A tear escaped her eyes and another soon followed. She was crying, hard. Who wouldn’t?

She leaned on the door and took a deep breath. She walked out of the bathroom and saw Kai who was looking at her, his expression show worry. “Are you okay?” he cupped her cheek and searched for her eyes. “Yeah, I’m fine.” She smiled a little. “ Are you sure?” he asked again. She nodded.

Finally, the caring Kai was back. Kai is like having double personality in him, one time he was snappy, and then the other was the caring Kai. And the day went just like that. They watched movies at his living room, eat things that she made, joking around. But that was until his phone rang. “Hello? What? Where? Okay, I’ll go now.” Then he hung up. He turned to face Min Ji, “Sorry, I have to go. My father wanted to see me.” He rubbed his temple. “Oh, okay.” She said a little disappointed, she wanted to spend her day with him because she didn’t know when she will have the right time again. Just like that she went home and go straight to her bedroom.

Days and weeks passed, and she haven’t see Kai. She missed him badly, she tried to call him but either he reject the call or he answered but said “I’m busy I’ll call you later.” But he never did. She is sad, knowing that her boyfriend didn’t really pay any attention to her. She doesn’t want to sound like a clingy girlfriend but isn’t all of girl who have a boyfriend wanted their attention? And she was no exception.

Her condition is getting worse each days, she already gave up on chemotherapy saying to her parents “There’s no use of it. I’ll eventually die anyway.” Of course her parents object it, even though they know that it didn’t help, but they wanted to try. Maybe, maybe some miracle can happen to her beautiful daughter. But as much as they wanted it, they also know that it is not easy to someone received a chemotherapy. In the end they agreed to stop the chemotherapy.

She was thankful to her parents, because they understand. They understand how much it hurts, how much pressure she was feeling, she was really thankful to them because of that. But she was also sorry to them, she knew that ever since the doctor announced her disease, everything changed. Her mother becomes very sensitive, she always cried whenever she saw her. Her dad was constantly getting headache thinking how to earn money for her treatment. And everything is not like what it used to be. They used to be laughing together, making fun of each other, sharing their thought and do other things like a happy family do. But now, everything changed. And it’s all because of me.

“Just break up with him! He didn’t even visit you!” her mom shouted. “Mom, he doesn’t know.” Tears was falling from her eyes. “Yes, he doesn’t know because you didn’t tell him! Why didn’t you just tell him?!” Mrs.Jung said, she was furious, how can he never visit her daughter? How can he be such a jerk?! “Do you think that he will still like me if he know that I’m sick?! I’ll be just a burden to him!! I am a burden to everyone! Do you understand mom?! The feeling that you’re going to die soon?! All what I wanted is to be happy when I can! I don’t want to break up with him. I- I love him.” Min Ji finally burst out. She can’t hold it anymore, it was already depressing knowing the truth, and if she really break up with Kai, she doesn’t know what to feel anymore. Then it hit Mrs.Jung, she just hurt her daughter by saying that. Why is she so stupid? It was also hard for her, seeing her daughter wept because she missed Kai so much, and it didn’t help either when she saw her daughter cried because of the pain that she felt. She even passed out for a couple times already. Mrs.Jung was still in her own world when Min Ji clutched her head and cried in pain. “Mi- Min Ji!” Mrs.Jung hurriedly went to take her pills and Min Ji took it. It didn’t help much, but it was the only thing that can help her. “I’m sorry.” Mrs.Jung said as she wrapped her arms around her daughter and rocked her back and forth while tears already falling like waterfall. “I’m sorry.”

Today was the day. It was the day that she spend so much time to think about it. This is for the best, she thought. She took her phone and dialed Kai’s number. After multiples ring he finally answered. “Oppa?”

“Eo?” he said

“Can we meet today?” she was hoping that he couldn’t make it today but to her dismay he said “Yeah, but I can’t right now. How about 7 p.m?” he asked flatly.

She titled her head up, hoping it would help to prevent her tears to fall. “Yeah, sounds good to me.”

“Okay then.” He was about to hang up until he heard, “Oppa!” she said hurriedly. “What now?” Kai was annoyed, he had so many things to do. If he wanted to meet her today, at least he should finished half of his work. He waited for her to say something, anything. But after a few seconds she didn’t utter a word. What the hell? He thought.

“Oppa, do you love me?” that question caught him of the guard. “What with the sudden question?” he nervously waited for her answer.

“Oppa, do you like me?” instead of answering his question she asked another question. He frowned, “Min Ji are you okay?” his tone changed, it express his worries for her. Now he noticed. Her voice sounded very weak, as if she was sick. And she wouldn’t asked him that out of nowhere right? There must be a reason for her to ask such question.

“Oppa, do you still care for me?” he soften. Maybe she was insecure..? Because they haven’t seen each other for awhile now. “Of course, honey.” He smiled, even though she can’t see it. “Thank you.” she whispered, a tear escaped from her eyes. “Goodbye, Oppa.” With that she hung up.

--

Kai looked at his watch, it shows 6.08 p.m. He stacked the paper, and left his office. He was about to leave when his secretary said that his father wanted to see him. What now? Annoyed, he hurriedly walked to his father’s office so he wouldn’t late to his meeting with Min Ji. He knocked the door “Come in.” a voice can be heard from the other side of the door. He walked in and bowed respectfully to his father. “Did you call me, father?” he asked.

Mr.Kim looked up from the file and looked at his son’s face. “Yes. I would like to inform you that Lee Hyeri from Lee corp is expecting to see you tomorrow.” Not this again, he thought bitterly. “I thought we already talked about this, father.”

Kai’s father arranged an arranged married for him with the Lee corp. His father knows that he had a girlfriend but he insisted that he should marry the Lee’s daughter, Lee Hyeri. He already argued with his father that he won’t marry anyone without his consent. So to prove that they didn’t need the Lee corp to be successful he worked very hard to extend their business. And because of this he was so tired lately, he didn’t have time to go on dates with Min Ji, but it was all for her. He didn’t want her to worry about such thing, so he didn’t tell her about this. Because of the pressure that his father gave him, he was having a mood swing. Thinking about it always makes him mad. And he didn’t have a good amount of patience to begin with, so he snap to whoever close to him, even his beloved girlfriend.

“Yes, we already talked about this. I didn’t say that you should marry her when you saw her, I just want you to meet her. That’s all.” Mr.Kim said, not even once his eyes left Kai.

“That’s the same father. When I meet her then that’s mean that I already approve the marriage, right? So I won’t meet her. Instead I’ll work harder father.”

There are silence in the room, “If there’s nothing anymore, then excuse me.” He bowed to his father and left, he didn’t even bother to wait for his father to reply to what he said.

He walked towards the parking lot and dialed Min Ji’s number, but she didn’t answer it. Maybe she was getting ready, or maybe she already there?

After an hour of driving, he finally arrived at a café. It was the café when they had their first date. Kai smiled a little at the memories. He went in and took a seat near the window. A waiter come and he ordered an Americano. He waited for her to come, but to his disappointment she didn’t come. Rather than disappointment he was mad, why would she call him to meet up but she didn’t show up? But it didn’t last long until it hit him.

Her voice was weak, maybe she was sick? Worry spread all over him. He dialed her number for 5 times already but she didn’t pick up. He decided just to go to her house and check on her. He stand up and make his way to his car. He was driving when his secretary called him. He said that the investor from China wanted to meet now. Should he go to the meeting or went to Min Ji’s home? His heart told him just abandon that freaking China investor and meet his girlfriend, but the logical him told him otherwise. If he didn’t meet him now what could he do to his company? Reluctantly, he went to the meeting. “ I’ll just talk to her tomorrow.” He sighed. What he didn’t know that there will be no tomorrow for her.

---

Kai tried to call her again, but to his dismay she didn’t answer. In the end he decided to go to her home. When he arrived he realized that there is no one in the house. He rang the bell for a couple times but no one opened the door for him. It’s a relieve that Min Ji gave me her door code. Actually he knew the password, but he didn’t want to be rude so he rang the bell. He opened the door and walked inside. He walked towards her bedroom and knock “Min Ji?” even though he knew that no one in the house now, but he can’t help to try. When there’s no answer he opened the door and walked inside her bedroom. He noticed that there are so many pills around her table. He frowned, what is that for? He took the pills and looked at him “…What is this?” he asked himself.

Is she sick?! His eyes widen in horror and he ran out of the house. He knocked her neighbour door furiously, not minding if she found him rude “Ahjumma!” he shouted. Then after awhile a woman in his mid 40 opened the door. “What-“ she was cut off “Where’s Min Ji?!” he asked rather to loudly as if he was shouting. “You didn’t know? She already…” whatever she said from that onwards, he can’t hear it. No, he doesn’t want to hear it. That’s when his world crumbled down.

--

Every step that he took felt so heavy, his heart crushes into pieces. He stared at the photo in front of him, tears welled in his eyes. His knees grew weak and it finally gave up. He kneeled in front of her photo and cry. He cried so hard, he cried and cried, he didn’t even realized that he was shouting her name. There is nothing that he can do now besides calling for her.

“Don’t leave me Min Ji!!! Please!! Please!” he sobbed.

“I- I haven’t told you how much I love you!!!! Didn’t you ask me?! Now ask me! Please, please ask me!!” he cried out loud. How much he regret that he didn’t tell her how much he love her. How much she meant to him. When all she want was to talk to him, he said he called her later but he never did because he was already too tired. When she asked him if he love her, he didn’t answer. What kind of jerk he is really? Now he knew. But it’s all too late. She was already gone.

That day, all he did was cry.

That day, the light of his world, gone just like that.

His other half was taken away from him.

That day, the Kim Jongin died with her.