He Can't Remember

Star Crossed

“He Can’t Remember…”

 

“She fractured her right foot and left arm. Be careful with her neck, it was slightly injured during the accident. We provided her with a neck brace just to support her neck. We’re really thankful there were no internal bleedings or very serious and deadly injuries,” The doctor said, hoping to lighten the heavy atmosphere in the hospital room.

 

“Thank God!” Her mom replied with a bit of relief.

“Will she be able to recover quickly? Will she need any therapy?” Ji Eun’s dad questioned the doctor.

“I do recommend therapy sessions so she could earn her strength and agility back.”

 

   At the sound of the door closing, Ji Eun woke up. “You’re awake!” Ji Eun’s mom ran to her side. “We were so worried Ji Eun! How are you feeling? Are you okay? Anything painful? Do you want me to call the doctor? Are you hungry? thirsty?” Her mom cupped her cheeks which were a bit bruised and covered in scratches from the accident while she bombarded her with millions of questions. Ji Eun couldn’t decipher her mother’s questions at the moment. All she did was simply nod her head. Ji Eun felt uneasy, broken, and sore.

 

“How’s Chanyeol.. Mom?.... Dad?” Ji Eun broke the silence carefully.

“He’s next door,” Ji Eun’s father replied quietly.  

“I want to see him!”

“Honey, you can’t walk at the moment,” Her mother protested.

“No! I have to go see him! If you don’t want to help me, then I’ll go by myself!” Ji Eun stood her ground. Her parents looked at each other lovingly and finally agreed to let her see Chanyeol.

 

   Ji Eun was put in a wheelchair because she wasn’t able to walk due to the injuries. She went in and saw Chanyeol already awake, watching the television with his mom by his side. At the sight of Ji Eun, Mrs. Park stood up and ran to Ji Eun, attacking her with a gentle hug. Chanyeol looked fine, although he had bruises and scratches on his face and arms. He also had bandages wrapped around his head.

“Yeol!” Ji Eun cheerfully greeted. Chanyeol didn’t reply. He looked at her strangely as if they haven’t met yet. Ji Eun noticed the slight change in Chanyeol’s voice and the glow on his eyes every time they saw each other was no longer there.

“Hi.. uh, do I- do... I know you?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“Yeol! What are you talking about? You’re joking right?” Ji Eun asked with a hint of surprise and confusion.

“Ji Eun… I don’t know how to say this.. Chanyeol- Chanyeol… He’s diagnosed with Retrograde Amnesia.. meaning he can’t remember most of the recent events that happened before the accident.” Chanyeol’s mom slowly and painfully broke the news. “I’ve tried to ask him about you… he just- he just can’t remember. I’m so sorry, Ji Eun…”

 

Ji Eun bit her lip trying to hold her tears back. She looked at Chanyeol with pityness, he looked back at her with no emotions. “That’s only for a few days right?” Ji Eun asked.

“I’m afraid not, Ji Eun.. But we’ll help him remember!” Mrs. Park replied.

“I should get going, I don’t feel very well. Stay well Chanyeol… Mrs. Park.” Ji Eun quickly bid her goodbye. When she got back to her room, Ji Eun let all her emotions out. She couldn’t believe her fiance, her boyfriend can’t remember her.  Ji Eun felt like shattering every time she recalls Chanyeol’s cold and empty words.

 

   Days have passed and Ji Eun was able to walk with a cast on her foot and arm. Her neck cast was taken out. Chanyeol was doing well but still can’t remember Ji Eun. All Chanyeol could remember was his ex girlfriend Daeun. Daeun would visit Chanyeol every other day. She brought him fruit baskets and fresh flowers. Ji Eun, on the other hand, decided that she would help Chanyeol remember her. Mrs. Park was very determined to help Chanyeol get back on track as well. Ji Eun wrote Chanyeol letters everyday and brought him breakfast. Everyday, she would get the same “who are you and please leave” look from him. It wasn’t long since Ji Eun found out about Daeun. Her heart broke and shattered every time Daeun was with Chanyeol. Daeun made him smile, laugh, and comforted him. All the things Ji Eun was supposed to be doing.

   A few weeks passed and both of them were released from the hospital. Ji Eun was able to get rid of her casts and finished her whole week of therapy. Chanyeol spent a lot of time at his home with Daeun. Though at times Chanyeol would get small, mysterious flashbacks usually followed by sharp headaches. He would also dream about a mysterious girl who seems to have played a huge role in his life. Chanyeol would receive phone calls from “Babe” which he changed to “Stranger.” Ji Eun made sure she always called Chanyeol to ask how he's doing. She would always try to carry a conversation with him, but he would always answer coldly and bluntly. Ji Eun sometimes visited Chanyeol and brings him ramen. Ji Eun felt broken every time she saw Chanyeol. The guy she loved was no longer inside him. A person’s heart could only take so much.