Cinq

How Far We've Come

When Himchan entered his dorm room when he came back from winter break, he expected the room to be a complete mess, filled with food wrappers and papers all over the floor (even though Himchan begged, pleaded, and threatened Yongguk to pick up after himself). Instead, he saw Jongup sprawled on top of Yongguk’s lap on the couch fast asleep with Yongguk sitting down, feet propped, his head leaning back and mouth open, also fast asleep with the television on and blaring some sort of music. He closed the door, turn the television off, and went to find the biggest book he could find in their dorm (an encyclopedia book on famous musical artists) and dropped it on the table, which produced the loudest sound he has heard.

Apparently it also got the two sleeping boys up.

“Jesus Christ, Himchan. What the was that for?” Yongguk asked, rubbing his tired eyes and wiping the droll on the side of his mouth.

“What did you two even do during the break?” Himchan asked them.

“Well, we played in the snow for a bit, but it got too much and basically froze us inside, so we had a The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit marathon and Marvel movies marathon,” Jongup explained.

“That doesn’t sound too bad,” Himchan mused.

“They’re special editions. Meaning they had all the deleted scenes and everything. It took almost two days to finish the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit movies,” Yongguk explained.

“How many hours of sleep did you two get?” Himchan asked them.

Jongup used his fingers to count and furrowed his eyebrows.

“I think five hours of sleep,” Jongup declared.

“Really? I thought it was less than that. Remember, we also had a Harry Potter marathon, a Star Wars marathon, and decided to watch some of Youngjae’s movie collections,” Yongguk told him.

“You two had five hours of sleep? What did you do? Drink coffee all day and hoped it would last you the entire winter break? We go back to school next week,” Himchan told them.

“Which reminds me; I need to head back to my own dorm,” Jongup said, getting up from his spot on Yongguk’s lap and couch and stretched out his back.

“Before you leave, what did you two eat? It stinks in here,” Himchan said.

“Mostly junk food. Yongguk made a lot of ramen, and some of it either spilled or got too cold to reheat,” Jongup answered, grabbing his coat and other winter gear.

Himchan made a face. Of course it would be. Now he has to clean the entire goddamn dorm to make it look clean and spotless. Also smelling nice.

“One day Yongguk, when we get an apartment, I will use tigger to force you to clean up after yourself,” Himchan threatened when Jongup left their dorm.

“No you won’t. You’ve tried that threat on me before, but you’ll never do it,” Yongguk told him.

“And why the not? I am not your maid,” Himchan told him, throwing away empty cartons of ramen and used wooden chopsticks.

“Because if you do, I will hold all your mirrors hostage, as well as the make-up you think you’re oh so hiding very well,” Yongguk warned him.

Himchan rolled his eyes and began to take the trash out of their room. Sometimes he hates sharing a dorm with his best friend.

Meanwhile, Jongup began his walk back to his dorm, his hands stuffed in his pocket, cheeks tinted a bit red, and enjoying the crisp cold air. Actually, he really needs to find his dorm. They have central heating. He wants to be warm.

He quickly found it and entered inside, using his keycard, and began his walk up the stairs towards his dorm, which was on the fifth floor. After climbing the steps (and cursing on how the elevator is dangerous and that they should really get that fixed), he finally made it up to his dorm room. He pulled out his eyes and unlocked it.

“Junhong, are you home?” Jongup called, taking off his winter gear and taking off his shoes.

There was no answer. He furrowed his eyebrows. Junhong should be here by now. Classes are starting in a week and they need to continue their tradition (of two semesters but it counts) by going down to the local burger joint right across the street and eating as many burgers as possible while splitting an ice cream sundae. Maybe the others will join in.

“Junhong?” Jongup called out again.

“Junhong is not here. Junhong is sleeping,” a voice muttered.

Jongup rolled his eyes when he went into Junhong’s room and saw a lump on the bed.

“How did seeing your parents go?” Jongup asked him.

“My mom wondered whether or not I was going to bring home a girl,” he told him, peaking his head from the covers.

“And you didn’t decide to tell her that the person you want to bring over will have a flat chest and ?” Jongup asked, placing his hands on his hips.

“Jesus, you look like my brother. No, I didn’t. My siblings didn’t have to come out to her and declare themselves as heteroual, why should I come out and tell her I’m biual?” Junhong questioned.

Jongup nodded his head in agreement.

“So, are we doing our traditional start of the semester dinner?” Jongup asked, leaving his room.

“Yes we are. We should invite the others, tell them that dinner is on us,” Junhong told them.

“Free food. They’ll definitely come for that,” he said, going to his own room to change.

“Daehyun will surely come for that. He’ll drag Himchan and Youngjae with him, and then Himchan will threaten Yongguk to come,” Junhong said, going towards their tiny fridge to get a soda out of there.

“I think we should add something. Maybe we can go to the club and get smashed. I need a few drinks,” Jongup said.

“I need a drink. We all need a drink. I’ll text Daehyun and tell him,” Junhong said.

“How do you have his number? I don’t even have his number,” Jongup asked, taking a shirt and a pair of boxers out from his drawers

“I’ve been friends with him longer than you. He’s was in my psychology class, remember?” Junhong said.

“Yeah, I remember. You used to tell me he used to steal your food in that class.”

“More like he would give me puppy eyes until I said yes. I have no idea how Youngjae and Himchan deal with it,” he said, texting Daehyun and setting his phone on the counter.

“Well, let’s just see whether or not they answer,” Jongup said. “I’m gonna take a shower. Hopefully the showers won’t a be a pain in the .”

“Have fun!” Junhong shouted.

~*~*~*~*~

Daehyun and Youngjae were in their dorm room, playing video games, until Daehyun’s obnoxious ringtone blared out through the room.

“I thought you changed the ringtone,” Youngjae complained when Daehyun paused the game.

“Why would I do that? It’s easier to find it and I can answer it easily while shutting the damn thing off,” Daehyun told him, looking through his texts.

“Who texted you anyway?” Youngjae asked, getting up from his spot on the floor.

“Junhong. He and Jongup have a somewhat tradition of eating at the local burger joint and eating as many burgers as they can, and then share the giant ice cream sundae. They asked if we can join. Junhong also noted that they’re paying,” Daehyun read off.

“Yeah, I’d rather stay inside for today. I don’t feel like going out,” Youngjae said.

“No, we’re going. It’s free food. I’m taking Himchan and Yongguk along with me,” Daehyun told him.

Youngjae groaned. Daehyun took out his phone and began to text Himchan to tell him their plans. He knows that he’s going to have to drag those two with him and Youngjae, but it’ll be worth it. They’ll see what kind of drunk they are.

Meanwhile, Himchan finally finished cleaning his and Yongguk’s dorm, spraying febreze in the room to make it smell cleaner. Yongguk was in his room, working on some composition. Or maybe ordering an art history text book for his class. He heard his phone ding, indicating a text message.

“This better be good,” Himchan muttered to himself.

He read the text and groaned. He didn’t feel like going places right now. He just wanted to stay in tonight and eat as much junk food as he can. Being with his family made him want to continue drinking, what with six bratty kids and two siblings that like to compete with him and two worthless spouses doing nothing.

“Yongguk, we’re going somewhere. Change into something comfortable,” Himchan called out.

“Do we have to?” Yongguk called out.

“Unfortunately, yes. You need social interactions. This will be good for you,” Himchan told him.

Yongguk groaned, but agreed nonetheless. He remembered the last time he disagreed with Himchan on an outing. Let’s just say that it involved tigger and a kidnapping. He got up from his bed and went to go get changed for their night out with the others.

About two and a half hours later, they all gathered around the burger joint, the youngest two of the group already sitting in a booth with over a dozen burgers on a plate.

“So what’s the plan?” Daehyun asked, ready to take a bite out of his burger until Himchan smacked his hand away from it.

“Rules are we eat as much as we can. First one to throw up loses and has to pay for desert,” Jongup said.

“And the club?” Youngjae asked.

“Well, after the sundae, we’ll be heading towards the club and get hammered. It’s our last week. Let’s make the best of it,” Junhong said.

“And we start eating in three… two… one,” Jongup counted off.

About three dozen burgers later, Youngjae ran towards the bathroom to empty his stomach, along with Himchan. The others cheered, knowing that both Youngjae and Himchan had to pay for desert. After desert, they began to head on towards the club, ready to get smashed.

~*~*~*~*~

(From: Daehyun) (6:27am)
This is a mass text. Does anyone know where I am?

(6:31am)
Dude im not sure whos apartment i woke up in but i just showered here and their shampoo in phenomenal
(6:53am)
I don't know where I am but the food in the fridge is awesome.

(To: Yongguk) (7:01am)
I told you I was good to drive
(To: Himchan) (7:02am)
I drove... you sat in the passengers seat and steered with a paper plate

(To: Jongup) (7:43am)
Sorry for talking about super scientific so much last night, I know it bugs you sometimes when I don't shut up.
(To: Youngjae) (7:44am)
What? You sat on the couch for a solid 2 hours staring at your fingerprints and the only word that came out of your mouth was "how"

(To: Jongup) (8:01am)
awoke with 47 plastic lawn flamingos in my bed and on surrounding floor. explanation?
(To: Junhong) (8:03am)
you said they were your minions of evil that protected you from ferrets.

(To: Youngjae) (1:03pm)

Did you put 9lbs of birdseed all over my car?
(To: Himchan) (1:03pm)
You weighed it?

~*~*~*~*~

Jongup entered the art history classroom and he instantly knew that the giant room is a choir room. It mostly had music stands in the corner and a couple of group pictures of the choir group. He found a seat in the middle of the row on the right side and dropped his bag down.

“Yo,” a deep voiced greeted him.

Jongup looked up and saw Yongguk setting his bag down and sitting next to him.

“Yo. You actually bought the book?” Jongup asked him.

“Nah. I’m renting it. I never buy my books. If I was, it would be because I want to keep them,” he answered.

“Excuse me, is this seat taken?” a female voice asked.

They turned their heads and saw a pretty girl pointing at a seat next to Jongup.

“No, it’s all yours,” Jongup said, moving his stuff out of the way.

“Thanks. I’m Hyosung, by the way,” she greeted.

“I’m Yongguk. This is my dongsaeng, Jongup,” Yongguk greeted.

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you. Hey, don’t you work at that bookstore?” Hyosung asked Jongup.

“From time to time. I need a job and they were willing to hire me,” Jongup answered.

“I think I’ve seen you around before. Didn’t you have Professor Kang for Intro to Music Theory?” Hyosung asked Yongguk.

“In my sophomore year. Why? Were you in that class?” he asked.

Jongup mostly tuned out their conversation and got out his notebook and a pen.

“Alright ladies and gentlemen, stop talking. I am Professor Vasquez. Before you ask, I am a resident of Korea. My mom is Korean and my dad is Argentinean. I’m going over the syllabus, so please follow along because you will be stuck with me for the next few hours,” their professor told them.

Their professor has tanned skin, black curly hair, she looked like she was wearing a bit of make-up, but not too much, and her clothes fit her comfortably. Jongup uncapped his pen and opened his notebook. This was gonna be fun.

Meanwhile, Daehyun and Himchan sat in the lector room, which was practically in the middle of the campus, and they were waiting for their professor.

“Do you know what our professor would be like?” Daehyun asked.

“Probably some old dude from America. Nothing too fancy,” Himchan told him.

Just then, a young man entered the room, dark skin, black hair, and a Rolling Stones shirt with faded jeans walked in with a starbucks in one hand and his laptop in another.

“Hello students. I’m Professor Logan, but please just call me either Professor L, Professor James, James, My liege,” their professor joked.

Many of the students laughed, including Himchan and Daehyun. This was gonna be fun.

Junhong and Youngjae, however, were playing blackjack, Youngjae losing terribly, too. Junhong is a very sore winner in this.

“Dude, do you even know how to play?” Junhong asked, slapping another jack.

“Of course I do. I just don’t have quick reflexes like you do,” Youngjae told him.

“By the way, what was Himchan’s reaction when he found the birdseed all over his car?” Junhong asked him.

“The fact that he weighed it surprises me. No, he made me clean it up and told me to feed it to the local birds,” Youngjae told him. “Jongup told me about the plastic flamingoes.”

“He told me that you were trying to be scientific, but you just stared at your hands for two hours,” Junhong commented, shuffling the cards.

“Yeah, we were incredibly drunk last week. I’m surprised Jongup and Yongguk lasted,” Youngjae said, watching Junhong setting up a new game.

“They were the designated drivers. Of course they wouldn’t drink that much,” Junhong told him. “The game we’re playing is called speed. You better keep up,” Junhong challenged.


A/N: So I have descovered the other pairings that are gonna be in the story. SECRET will also make appearances. So far Hyosung has made an appearance, but others will make an appearance, too. So enjoy!