Trois

How Far We've Come

If Jongup was sure about anything, it’s that life hates him a lot and somehow down the line he must’ve done something to piss faith off because his life is a joke. What does he mean by that? Well, for starters, he woke up late since Junhong likes to be an and sometimes not wake Jongup up, or Junhong was running late as well and forgot to wake him up. Either way, Jongup was running late so he had to get dressed quickly. To top it off, it was Thursday. He hates Thursday. Reason being was because he thought it would be a good idea to put all of the classes he despises, but needs, into two days; Tuesday and Thursday. So early in the morning, he has English and then Math. So he arrived to English late and was told that there was going to be a test, which Jongup did not study for.

That was only the morning, though.

Later on, he forgot to do his Math homework, he accidentally spilled strawberry milk all over his clothes, he missed dinner so he’s ing starving, and the showers were a pain in the to deal with every time he tried to change the temperature. It was either on ‘winter is coming’ or on ‘Fire cannot kill a dragon’. No matter how hard he tried to set it to the right temperature, it was always those two. Now he’s in his room, laying face down on the floor, trying to figure out where he went wrong in life.

“Why are you face planted on the floor?” Junhong asked him when he entered the room.

“I’m trying to figure out what went wrong in my life,” Jongup muttered, refusing to turn his body around. Hey, he was comfortable on the floor. He was fine.

“Well you’re going to need to get up. The dance contest is soon and we still need to practice,” Junhong said, rolling Jongup over to see his face.

Jongup groaned and attempted to roll back over, but Junhong stopped him.

“Nope, we need to get going. The dance studio is open and if we get there quickly, we won’t have to share with the ballet recital,” Junhong said, lifting Jongup’s limped body off the floor.

“I’m not having a good day. Can’t we practice tomorrow in the morning? I mean, we both don’t have class tomorrow. It’s perfect. I also know for a fact that the dance studio would be open and hardly anybody goes in there on a Friday morning,” Jongup said.

“How do you know that?” he asked.

“Our dance teacher said that on the first day here. How did you not know?” Jongup asked.

“Yeah, I wasn’t paying attention. All I heard was that we were going to be dancing and if we’re lucky some of us are going into a dance recital,” he said.

Jongup rolled his eyes. Of course that’s the only thing he heard. The dance recital wasn’t for another month or so for the Christmas special, but that’s only if their lucky. Freshmen college students are very rare to have in the recital. That’s why Jongup isn’t thinking he’s going to have any luck in this semesters or the spring one. Next year, he might, but that’s still a very small ways to go.

“Fine. You lie on the floor and contemplate life. I’m going over to hyung’s dorm and hang out there. Unless, of course, you want to join us that is. We’re playing some games over there,” Junhong said.

“Which hyung?” Jongup asked.

“Youngjae hyung and Daehyun hyung. They’re the only ones with extra key cards,” Junhong said, showing one of them as an example.

“I swear the RAs must be losing their minds on where the the key cards are. Alright, I’ll join you. I need to somehow make this day turn around. Plus, it’s the weekend,” Jongup said, getting up off the floor and following behind Junhong towards Youngjae and Daehyun’s dorm.

~*~*~*~*~

Jongup wasn’t sure what he was expecting when he entered Youngjae and Daehyun’s dorm, but this wasn’t it.

All around the room were different posters and wrappers were littered around the room. There was a faint scent that Jongup couldn’t place, but he was sure it was something rotten.

“Jesus, when was the last time you cleaned here?” Junhong asked, looking around the messy dorm.

“I cleaned here ten minutes ago. Daehyun however seems to make it necessary to leave wrappers and spoiled food around the dorm,” Youngjae said, picking up the wrappers from the floor.

“Hey, I have no idea where that cheesecake went, okay. I know it’s somewhere, but I’m too lazy to find it,” Daehyun said.

At the corner of Jongup’s eyes, he saw something molding and green.

“Hyung, I think I found the source of the smell,” he pointed out, pointing towards the corner of the room.

Just then, Himchan and Yongguk entered the room and scrunched up their noses while Daehyun went out to dump the foil food outside.

“You need air fresheners in this dorm,” Himchan said, taking out a bottle that had a fragrance and sprayed around the room.

“Himchan no! That stuff smells,” Youngjae told him, trying to get him to stop.

“Oh relax. It makes the dorm smell nice and clean, instead of that foul odor from before,” Himchan said.

“I brought the game you told me to bring,” Yongguk interrupted, showing a deck of cards, a game with a pencil and what seemed to read ‘Pictionary’ and another deck of cards, but it seemed to read ‘Uno’.

“Sweet. I have the Heads Up app that we can play for later,” Youngjae said, clearing a space for the games.

They all sat down in a circle while Daehyun entered the dorm and closed the door.

“The cheesecake is now in the dumpster. What are we playing first?” Daehyun asked, squeezing in between Jongup and Himchan.

“Uno. I already set your cards up,” Youngjae told him, holding his own deck to himself and flipped a card, revealing the number 4 and the color yellow.

After two hours of playing the game, it caused three fights, four arguments, and five threats of moving out of their dorm and living somewhere else. Jongup forgets that Uno is a very dangerous game to be played, especially around friends. Thankfully, they all decided to stop playing the game after someone came over and pounded on their door to keep it down.

“Okay, new game. Not Pictionary because the last time we played that game, Junhong threw the timer out the window and we haven’t found it yet,” Himchan said.

“I have the Heads Up app,” Youngjae announced.

“So who goes first?” Daehyun asked.

“Well, since Jongup is new to our little group, I think he should go first,” Himchan said.

Jongup groaned and took hold of Youngjae’s cell phone. After about a few hours of guessing and a few charades that made them burst out laughing and gained some new inside jokes, they all passed out of the floor, ready to sleep.

~*~*~*~*~

Jongup was the first to wake up, which was strange since he’s always the one that wakes up late. He groaned and felt someone on top of him. Maybe that’s why he woke up early. He pushed the person off him, which woke them awake. Jongup got a good look of his face. It was Daehyun. Good.

“That hurt,” Daehyun slurred, rubbing his eyes awake.

“You were on top of me. I had to somehow get you off me,” Jongup said, running his fingers through his black hair.

Daehyun was about to say something (more like whine about it) when he got smacked with a pillow. Jongup looked up and saw a pissed off looking Youngjae that was sleeping on the floor.

“You’re too loud early in the morning,” Youngjae groaned, rolling over and going back to sleep.

Daehyun smacked him back with a pillow and before Jongup knew it, it was an all out violent pillow fight. It wasn’t helping much since they woke up two more people.

“Was goin’ on?” Junhong slurred, rubbing his eyes awake.

“Two idiots decided to initiate a pillow fight,” Jongup said, looking at the two in front of him rolling around on the floor and hitting each other with pillows.

“Will you two stop!?” Himchan growled, hitting both of them over the head with a pillow.

Daehyun and Youngjae stopped and stood up, brushing off invisible dirt. Himchan breathed out a heavy sigh and walked towards the tiny bathroom in the dorm to clean himself up.

Then Jongup noticed something.

“Where’s Yongguk hyung?” Jongup asked.

They all looking around and Himchan’s head popped out.

“You mean he’s actually awake?” Himchan asked.

After Himchan said that, Yongguk walked into Daehyun’s and Youngjae’s dorm with a cup of coffee in one hand and his other hand stuffed in his sweater pocket.

“What?” Yongguk asked, taking a sip of his coffee.

“You actually got up all by yourself? I’m surprised. Usually it takes you nine tries to get you up,” Himchan told him, stepping out of the bathroom after refreshing himself up.

“The sun annoyed me so I got up. I decided to walk around campus, since I got nothing better to do and the coffee shop was open,” Yongguk explained, showing his coffee cup as proof.

“You couldn’t get me one?” Himchan whined, pouting a little. Okay, Jongup admits that when Himchan pouts, he reminds him of a little school boy.

“No, because your Americano is expensive as , so that,” Yongguk told him, taking another sip of his coffee.

“Well, what should we do now? I mean, we kind of passed out on the floor during game night,” Youngjae said.

“Some passed out on top of others,” Jongup said, glaring at Daehyun who looked around the room.

“Yeah, we’re not getting into details into that one. Well, since we’re here, and I know for a fact that Youngjae has a giant movie collection, we might as well watch some movies,” Himchan said, clapping his hands together.

“Jongup and I have a dance practice,” Junhong said.

“I feel incredibly lazy and I don’t want to move from the floor. So unless you have the strength to drag me towards the dance studio, you’re on your own,” Jongup said, sprawling across the floor.

Junhong rolled his eyes and gently kicked Jongup, who swatted him away.

“Can’t we be lazy for one day? I mean, I think we deserve it. We worked very hard into our studies. I deserve one day where I can be as lazy as ,” Jongup stated, looking up at a frowning Junhong.

“But… but dance competition,” Junhong whined, sitting down in front of Jongup.

“But… but laziness,” Jongup mimicked.

“Alright, it’s established that we’re gonna watch some movies. Sorry Junhong, but majority rules. Anyway, what movie should we watch first?” Himchan asked, looking through the piles of pirated movies. Possible had to have subtitles on them.

Junhong groaned, but agreed to stay. Himchan, Youngjae, and Daehyun sat on the small couch. Junhong took the recliner and Yongguk and Jongup sat on the floor. Himchan chose Pirate Radio: The Boat That Rocked. He heard it was hilarious, so why not.

~*~*~*~*~

Jongup sang Why Should I Worry? softly to himself in his and Junhong’s dorm while making hot chocolate. Junhong noticed him singing, but said nothing. Jongup sang the final part of the song while his hot chocolate was busy being microwaved. He turned around and jumped slightly when he saw Junhong leaning over the counter, observing him.

“I didn’t know you could sing,” Junhong said.

“I mostly sing in the showers when I’m alone. I don’t sing anywhere else. Besides, I don’t really like how my voice sounds when I sing,” Jongup confessed.

“Dude, you have a great singing voice. What are you talking about?” Junhong asked him.

Jongup thought about for a while. Well, it mostly had to do with his older brothers telling him he shouldn’t sing, as he sounds like a dying cow. When he told his parents what his brothers said to him, they didn’t even try to scold his older brothers. They freaking agreed to them. He shook off the thoughts and focused on Junhong.

“I just like dancing more, that’s all. It’s fun and I’ve been doing it since I was a kid, so I’m going to keep doing dancing,” Jongup said, knowing full well that half of his sentences didn’t exactly make sense.

“Okay then. Oh hey, before I forget, the dance competition is next week,” Junhong said.

“And recital auditions is the week after that. Do you think they’ll notice if I did the same dance as the competitions?” Jongup asked.

“Probably not. Now go get changed. If we leave right now, we can have to dance studio to ourselves,” Junhong said, patting Jongup in the back and running towards his room to get dressed.

Jongup stared at the spot that Junhong had once occupied.

“No, it’s okay. I had plans before with meeting Himchan and Yongguk hyung about song recommendations, but that’s okay. I can do it another time,” Jongup muttered to himself, sipping his hot chocolate and going to his room to get changed.