What is love?

Wing To Wing

Warning: Has not been beta'd. You have been warned.

 

 

Song Qian rushed back to Shandong without notifying any of her friends in Nanjing except for Luna.

 

When Luna asked what the emergency was, Song Qian merely pressed her lips together and smiled at her apologetically. “I’m so sorry Luna, but can you help me find coverage? I really have to make a trip home.”

 

After agreeing and watching Song Qian leave, Luna does her best to help cover for her at work. As the second and third day roll by without any updates, Luna begins to worry.

 

She calls the only other friend of Song Qian’s that she knows in Nanjing.

 

“Luhan speaking.”

 

Luna takes a deep breath. “Victoria rushed back to Shandong and I haven’t heard from her in nearly three days. I’m a little worried.”

 

“Did she say why?” Luhan asks politely.

 

One critical reason as to why Luna never speaks to Luhan unless it is absolutely necessary is because although Luhan is incredibly personably and friendly, he always puts up a front that makes it very clear he is nothing more than just being polite.

 

It’s a little off putting but Luna doesn’t mind it for the most part; she’d just rather not have to deal with it.

 

“No. When I asked her, she just smiled awkwardly and hurried off to the airport.” Luna answers.

 

Luhan thins his lips into a tight line. “Alright, I’ll look into it. Thank you for letting me know, Luna.”

 

When calling Song Qian’s cell phone doesn’t work, Luhan tries at her home phone which he got from Zhang Liyin through Shim Changmin. Honestly, he wanted to avoid bothering the couple but hard times call for long measures.

 

Minho was back in Korea visiting family, so Luhan couldn’t get a hold of him either.

 

“Is something wrong?” Changmin asks him over the phone.

 

At this point, Luhan is already nearing the airport. “I’ll let you know if something is wrong,” Luhan promises off handedly. “I have to go; I’ll call you back later.”

 

“Did something happen to Qianqian?” Zhang Liyin asks.

 

Changmin shakes his head, setting his phone aside and walking back to his desk. Their child is growing day by day and each day seems to pass by quicker and quicker in both of their eyes.

 

He doesn’t know why, but Zhang Liyin often points that out to him.

 

“It seems like you have more that you want to say,” Changmin comments.

 

Zhang Liyin leans forward and the back of her fingers across her daughter’s cheek. “If I didn’t have a child, maybe everything would be a little easier on you. Now that she’s growing up under your care, your duties as her father become more and more prominent. If we stay together like this and you continue your role as her father, it will be hard for the both of you to let go of each other.”

 

“I’ve told you before,” Changmin breathes, “she may not be mine by blood, but she’s my daughter by title. I owe her everything she should get from a father.”

 

“Do you hate me for committing infidelity and keeping the child?” Zhang Liyin asks.

 

Changmin smiles weakly. “Actually, I’m rather thankful that you were impregnated by another man. This way, I know that the child can’t actually tie me down to this relationship.”

 

Zhang Liyin listens carefully.

 

“Because of this child, she will understand and sympathize with me. Because you decided to keep this child, there’s still hope for her and I to reconcile if the situation allows for us to; if Song Qian isn’t done waiting for me, because of this child, maybe I’ll still have a chance.”

 

His wife scoffs, placing a kiss on her daughter’s forehead before returning to her bed. “You’ve never tried to hide your true colors,” she says casually, pulling the blankets over her legs. “You’ve never tried to hide the fact that, out of all of us, you have the most calculating heart.”

 

“You think that only because you’ve never truly calculated anyone before,” Changmin replies.

 

Zhang Liyin laughs a little, staring up at the ceiling. “I knew from the beginning that you were never intent on staying married to me for long. You didn’t say anything or tell anyone because you didn’t know how long we needed to maintain our marriage and you didn’t want Qianqian to wait endlessly for a meek possibility.”

 

Shim Changmin is using her. Not only is he using her, he’s also using her family, their power and wealth, and her child. In the years that they have been married, he never once mistreated her—he’s built up a reputation as a good husband, a filial son, and a capable businessman.

 

Each and every one of those qualities spawns from her. Zhang Liyin is the root and foundation of his every plan; she’s merely been a pawn in his games, pushed and pulled by the strings she wasn’t even aware had been spun around her.

 

She’s realized his plans long ago but only now does she really face him and his practicalities. However, it’s already too late—it has long been too late.

 

The Shim family has rose in credibility in the business markets and he’s helped his family build a reputable sales and planning record that will aid in their future business ventures. Now, even without the help of the Zhang family, the Shim’s can surge and expand in the fields that they so desire.

 

“You are more intelligent than I expected,” Changmin tells her.

 

She sighs. “How did Qianqian fall in love with some as… scary as you?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

After finally dialing through, Luhan is relieved when he hears Mrs. Song’s voice greet him.

 

“Mrs. Song, this is Luhan. Do you remember me?”

 

Mrs. Song exclaims in a rather surprised manner that she does indeed remember him. “Qianqian’s friend from Nanjing, right? Are you looking for Qianqian?”

 

“Yes. She’s not answering her cellphone. Is she there?” Luhan asks.

 

She hesitates before answering, which worries Luhan further. “Qianqian just left with her uncle not too long ago. I’m not sure when she will be back. Can I leave a message for you?”

 

“Mrs. Song, is everything alright?” He asks.

 

“O-of course,” she answers.

 

Luhan’s notices that Mrs. Song is not as great of a liar as her daughter is. “Is it convenient for you to give your address to me?”

 

“I don’t think Qianqian will want me to—“

 

“Qian and I are really good friends, Mrs. Song. I assure you that all I want to do is help her.” Luhan interrupts, remembering his manners and addressing her accordingly. “You don’t want Qian to encounter any dangers, do you? If you allow me, maybe I can help.”

 

 

 

 

 

“If you’re feeling so unsettled, why don’t you go find out if something happened to her?”

 

Changmin shifts his eyes from the blank sheet of paper sitting before him to the girl lying on the bed on the other side of the room. He stops tapping his fingers restlessly on the surface of his desk and pulls both hands together in front of him.

 

“Am I wrong?” Zhang Liyin asks. “Is it not the phone call from Luhan that’s bothering you?”

 

“Aren’t you worried?” Changmin asks. “It’s been hours and Luhan still hasn’t called back with any news. Song Qian is your best friend, isn’t she? Does her safety and security not worry you?”

 

Liyin smiles at him. “If things have gone wrong, Qianqian would say something.”

 

Changmin shakes his head and stands from his seat with a helpless laugh, grabbing his jacket from the backrest of his chair. “Song Qian isn’t you; the two of you are different. If it were you then perhaps you would call for help, but Song Qian wouldn’t. She never has.”

 

 

 

 

 

 Song Qian vaguely remembers Luna mentioning once that maybe it’s because Song Qian has too many choices to select from in men that is preventing her from actually being with one.

 

When she sees Luhan sitting in her living room after running around town with her uncle the entire afternoon, she sort of thinks she understands what Luna means. To Song Qian, she’s clear that everything the men around her do is purely out of care for a friend; however, to the eyes of others, it’s easy to misunderstand their intentions.

 

For instance, she can see a look in her mother’s eyes right now that makes her feel certain her mother has misunderstood her relationship with Luhan.

 

“What are you doing here?” Song Qian asks immediately.

 

Luhan narrows his eyes. “You should be asking yourself the reason why I’m here. Why aren’t you picking up your cell phone? Luna’s worried sick about you.”

 

“I—,“ she is about to argue, but she knows that no matter what she says right now she’ll still be in the wrong. “Alright, it’s my fault, I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have turned off my phone. You should head back.”

 

“Your mom told me about mostly everything,” Luhan confesses honestly. “Let me help you.”

 

Song Qian is a little upset and it shows in her eyes. “No, I can’t. You should hurry back to Nanjing.”

 

“We’re friends,” Luhan insists, “You should know when to ask for help when you need it.”

 

“If we’re friends, then you should know when not to step into my matters,” Song Qian warns him very seriously. She sees her mother standing from the sofa out of the corner or her eyes and she grabs Luhan by the wrist and drags him to the entrance of their complex.

 

Luhan takes a deep breath, the veins in his neck bulging in annoyance. “What right do you have to stop me from stepping in?”

 

“What right do you have to step in?” Song Qian retaliates.

 

He rakes his fingers through his hair, “As your friend.”

 

“We’re just friends,” she reminds him, “there are limits to friendship.”

 

They glare into each other’s eyes, anger, frustration, an insurmountable range of emotions attacking them all at once. From a distance, Luhan sees a tall figure approaching them.

 

“You’re not going to let me help you?” Luhan pressures her once more.

 

Song Qian shakes her head at him very firmly.

 

Suddenly, she feels soft fingers wrap around her neck and pull her forward. Before she even realizes it, Luhan’s lips are pressed against hers, hard, painful, and he takes dominance over the kiss, snaking his other arm around her waist and bringing her forward, flush against his chest.

 

She struggles, trying to break free, but Luhan does not relent.

 

The figure in the distance stops, watching them.

 

Her lips are moist and red when Luhan pulls away, her eyes furious and hazy.

 

Luhan says, “If I can’t help you as a friend, then what about as a lover?”

 

“Are you crazy? Do you know what you’re doing?” Song Qian grits through her teeth.

 

He smiles into her eyes slyly, refusing to let go of her waist. She can feel his heart beating against hers. “If I said I love you, then would I have the right to help you?”

 

“But you don’t love me,” Song Qian argues.

 

Luhan laughs. “I do. I love you. Maybe not in the way an intimate lover would for his woman and maybe not in the way you desire for a man to love you, but I love you nonetheless.”

 

“That’s different,” she says, “It’s not the same.”

 

He asks, “Why are you so silly? Love is love. No matter which way I love you or how I decide to express it doesn’t matter. All you need to know is that I love you.”

 

“Luhan, stop being so childish,” Song Qian reprimands, “love isn’t a word that should be thrown around so easily. You care for me as a friend; that type of love is different.”

 

“If I don’t tell you verbally, then how would you know? Even if my love for you is only out of friendship, why should that love be any different from the love of any other type?”

 

She’s momentarily speechless, her own heartbeat finally finding a comfortable pace. “Bottom line is that I can’t accept your help.”

 

“Then if I were Changmin would you let me help you?” Luhan wants to know. When he glances at the figure standing in the distance beyond Song Qian, he’s hoping with every fiber of his body that the man can overhear their conversation.

 

Song Qian answers, “even if it were Shim Changmin, I wouldn’t let him help.”

 

“Why?” Luhan asks.

 

“Because no matter how much I love him, I’m not worth it.”

 

Sighing helplessly, Luhan pets the top of her head and finally releases her. He shakes his head when he sees the form of the man turn and leave, throwing his arms around Song Qian and giving her a warm, friendly hug.

 

Very softly, very gently he whispers into her ear.

 

“You’re worth it,” he assures her, “you’ve always been worth it.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Did you see her?” Liyin asks when Changmin walks through the door.

 

Changmin shakes his head, tossing his jacket onto his desk chair.

 

“Are you disappointed?”

 

“You talk a lot sometimes,” Changmin responds to her, with a rather irritated tone.

 

Zhang Liyin smiles helplessly and pinches her daughter’s cheek, rocking the child quietly in her arms. “You can help her if you want, you know.”

 

“She’s not even willing to tell anyone what problem it is that she’s encountering,” he scowls.

 

“Do you know how many years I’ve known her?” Liyin questions him. As she lifts her gaze from the infant to the man she addresses as her husband, her expression is a little more than just a mock. “Aside from worrying about her parents and dealing with a rocky love life, there’s only one other problem in her life.”

 

Changmin clenches his jaw.

 

Zhang Liyin takes a deep breath. “I’ve known her much longer than you can even begin to compare to. When she faced one of the biggest family trials of her life, you weren’t the one standing beside her. When she needed someone to hug or even just a shoulder to cry on, you weren’t the one who told her it’s okay to use my sleeves as her tissues and my arms as her pillows. You always speak to me as though I don’t know the true Song Qian, but how well do you know her yourself?”

 

Something wraps around his heart and it constricts, numbness spreading throughout his chest.

 

“She called me this morning; Qianqian told me her uncle is in trouble again and that she has to help him settle his debts or else the sharks will swallow him whole. It’s not as though I didn’t want to tell you earlier but the way you spoke to me let me know how little you thought of me as her friend. Actually, there’s nothing we don’t tell each other; even if it’s rivalry in love, we’ve never hidden a single secret from one another.”

 

He has nothing to say.

 

“I needed to let you know that, to Song Qian, no one else will find her as worthy as I do and even I believe that it is true. Men can hurt her, relentlessly, and she can give up on them but she can never give up on me, even if I unintentionally hurt her too. Song Qian is my best friend and I have never stood aside and watched her struggle without helping her. All of you say that Qianqian and I are different but I don’t think any of you realize that no matter how different we are, we are still women.”

 

“You knew she wouldn’t have let me help,” Changmin accuses.

 

Liyin nods. “What made you think she would?”

 

“I—“

 

“You are her best friend’s husband, which alone casts you into a group of people she would never turn to for help. What were you saying earlier? Did you mention that because of my baby, Song Qian could accept you because she would pity you? But Song Qian doesn’t act out of pity. If she accepts you, it will be because she loves you and not because she pities you.” Zhang Liyin tells him. “You are observing her through colored lenses. The colors of her wings are not something that can be determined through a narrow minded skull.”

 

As he remains speechless, Zhang Liyin finds the fire in herself burning brighter.

 

“Song Qian has always been my angel. You? You’re the one who should be helping her soar. Shim Changmin, it’s time for you to wake up.”

 

-----

 

A/N: I'm pumped from all the photos of f(x) at the SM Building~ can't wait for the girls to have their comeback! ^___^ (I'm falling for the Luhan/Victoria couple all over again... should I write another Lutoria fic? Would that be too much on my plate? ;___;)