Sunshine and Moonlight

Wing To Wing

Warning: Has not been beta'd. You have been warned!

 

 

No one is really surprised to know that Song Qian spends her second year of college without a boyfriend. As a matter of fact, they would probably be shocked to discover that she did find a prospect that was date worthy, to be honest.

 

Upon receiving her two year degree in Elementary Education and beginning her active work of pursuing her teaching permit, Song Qian begins floating at different children education institutes as a substitute teacher as part of her course elective.

 

Luhan always teases her for aging backwards and becoming more and more like a child the more time she spends with children. Changmin, forever beside Luhan, would just smile quietly at the sidelines.

 

It seems as though things between Changmin and Song Qian have become bland; they can greet each other normally now, even studying together if the subject permits, and friendship doesn’t seem as far away as it once did to them.

 

Minho still tells her to keep a healthy distance, though; who knows if she’ll fall in love all over again, right?

 

As always, her life is subtle and calm, without too many rises or falls. There haven’t been any more struggles that have prevented her from advancing forward and romance doesn’t quite take up very much space in her dictionary.

 

Unlike many other girls, Song Qian doesn’t seem to absolutely need love.

 

At least, that’s what most people believe. However, despite the calamity in her eyes and the gentle curve of her lips when she smiles—and the smile comes out so genuinely and beautiful—there is a part of her that is thirsty for affection.

 

Which girl doesn’t want to be loved and pampered?

 

Over the last year, she’s seen and heard the way Liyin and Changmin have been associating with each other. After they had their wedding and signed the papers not too long later, they’ve truly seemed to bond much better than before.

 

In the very least, Song Qian doesn’t see the heavy emptiness in Liyin’s eyes that she once saw every day after Liyin had broken up with Kris.

 

People come and people go. There were some candidates that Luhan had introduced to her: a guy named Yixing who majored in dance and another peer named Joonmyun who was also an exchange student, but none of them seemed to work out.

 

Her most frequent comment to him was, did you meet them at the club you visit every night?

 

Although she was always just joking, he would act offended and turn his face the other way. Over time, they became more and more like siblings; Luhan was very protective of her, even if there really was no need for him to be.

 

It is at a local elementary that Song Qian meets Luna, another student teacher that is studying with her.

 

Luna is sweet and funny, very prone to details and has a big heart and an even bigger and warmer smile. Song Qian learns a lot from Luna while they are working together and soon befriends the girl, sharing lunch and tips and all other good things that young students like them can afford to share.

 

After getting to know each other for a few months, Luna asks, “Is there a reason why you wanted to be my friend?”

 

Song Qian glances at the children running about around them and hugs her torso, smiling a blinding smile at the other girl. She says, “Is there a reason you absolutely want to be a teacher?”

 

“Because I really like little kids,” Luna answers honestly.

 

She nods slowly before meeting eyes with Luna. “I want to be friends with you because I really like you.”

 

The stillness and sincerity in Song Qian’s voice make Luna feel blood rushing to her face and ears. She reaches out and shoves Song Qian lightly, patting her cheeks in an effort to will her blush away.

 

It honestly wasn’t so much how beautiful Song Qian was—it was how genuine she had proved herself to be.

 

From then on, Luna opened herself up to Song Qian and the two of them became the best of friends. When Liyin came to visit Changmin and Song Qian, Song Qian made sure to introduce the two most important girls in her life to each other.

 

Luna had no hesitation whatsoever when she greeted Liyin but Liyin seemed a little appalled. Beside her, Changmin tightened his hand around hers and brought her back to reality.

 

“Is something wrong?” Song Qian asks, with worry knitted in her eyes.

 

Eventually, Liyin clears and smiles, shaking her head. “She’s so beautiful, I couldn’t even think straight!”

 

Luna and Song Qian laugh at her words, Luna blushing like her cheeks have been doused by a red rose. The atmosphere is light and happy, everyone enjoying each other’s company to the best of their capabilities.

 

When Liyin follows Changmin back to his apartment that night, he says, “Are you unhappy?”

 

“Is it that obvious?” She laughs, turning around to embrace him.

 

Changmin wraps his arms around her awkwardly and hugs her close. Despite it being almost a year since they’ve married, it’s still kind of hard for him to accept her as his wife entirely.

 

“I just don’t want to be replaced,” Liyin sighs, burying her face in his chest. “I’m afraid she’ll forget me; I don’t want to lose Qianqian, she’s my best friend.”

 

“You won’t lose her,” Changmin whispers, comforting her.

 

Liyin frowns. “How do you know?”

 

“She told me once that she wanted to be friends with you for forever, because the two of you have been there for each other for so long and you’re special to her—you’re irreplaceable.”

 

His words don’t have the effect that they’re supposed to. “Do you think so too?”

 

“Is it important that I do?” Changmin asks.

 

The girl in his arms scoffs. “You’re my husband.”

 

To the accusation in her tone, Changmin has no response. They hold each other for a while more until Changmin excuses himself to shower, leaving Liyin in the living room all by herself.

 

Isn’t it funny how the world works? Liyin thinks to herself, curling into a small ball on the sofa. The two men who once and now mean the most to her in the world both have their hearts set on another woman and here she is, slowly losing herself to people who will never have their eyes on her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Qianqian, do you think it’s possible to fall in love with someone you didn’t initially have feelings for over time?” Liyin asks over the phone one day.

 

Due to the fact that she was in the middle of class, Song Qian had to sneak outside to answer the phone. She furrows her eyebrows and glances around; making sure no one is around to catch her. “I think so.”

 

“Really?” Liyin frowns, biting down on her lip. “Would you?”

 

Song Qian presses herself up against the brick wall of the school, leaning her head backwards. “I think I would,” she answers honestly. “Even if I didn’t fall in love, I would eventually start to care about them, you know?”

 

“Is that so…” Liyin sighs.

 

A little girl pulls the classroom door open and peers outside, spotting the figure of the teacher she’s been looking for. “Ms. Victoria! I need your help!”

 

“I have to go,” Song Qian hurriedly says, “I’ll call you back later.”

 

“Okay,” Liyin agrees, “have fun!”

 

Song Qian laughs. “I will!”

 

Once Song Qian is back in class, she sees Luna’s troubled expression and chuckles to herself before helping the other girl settle down the children. Time passes by very fast and before either of them know, the end of the work day is already approaching them.

 

Luna sighs leans her head on Song Qian’s shoulder. “Vic, let’s go on a vacation this winter!”

 

“Where?” Song Qian asks.

 

“Beijing! My boyfriend is studying music there, he can show us around,” Luna replies.

 

It’s a chance to see Liyin so Song Qian enthusiastically agrees. Upon hearing her plan, Luhan asks several favors of her while she’s in Beijing and being the good friend that she is, she agrees.

 

“My parents are easy going, I swear,” Luhan promises, “I just need you to hand them these souvenirs and this letter.”

 

Song Qian purses her lips. “What if they misunderstand?”

 

“They won’t,” Luhan laughs, “trust me, they won’t.”

 

And so she takes his words for it.

 

Sure enough, once winter comes around and they are in Beijing, the first thing Song Qian does is call a cab to the address Luhan had written down for her.

 

She had a vague idea of how wealthy Luhan must have been; he never had to worry about tuition and the only thing he ever thought about was how much of a night life he could have before he would pass out cold on the street. Seeing his house though was an entirely different story altogether.

 

“Who are you?”

 

The man that opens the door is slightly intimidating. “Um, hi, I’m Song Qian. Luhan asked me to deliver this.”

 

Almost immediately the man changes his frown into a smile and welcomes her inside. “Oh! Master Luhan! You must be Miss Song Qian! Welcome!”

 

Wow. Song Qian exclaims to herself. No wonder Luhan hated coming home. “No need, I’ll just hand these over to you and be on my way.”

 

“Are you sure?” The butler questions, “Master Luhan instructed for me to take good care of you.”

 

“I’m fine, really,” Song Qian insists. “I’ll let him know that you were mighty friendly.”

 

Satisfied with her response, the old man releases her and sends her on her way. Momentarily after, she sends Luhan a rather humorous text about her experience at his house and he replies,

 

[Oh, yeah, him. Don’t mind him. He’s old and wired. You didn’t stay for tea?]

 

Tea? Really? Song Qian laughs. She shakes her head and tucks her phone back into her pocket, locating the cab driver that was instructed to wait nearby for her. After spotting him, she asks for him to drive her to the Beijing Academy of Arts, where she meets up with Luna again at the front of the campus.

 

To her surprise, Luna is not the only familiar face.

 

“Vic! This is Onew, my boyfriend, and that is Kris, his roommate.”

 

Kris and Song Qian exchange a look before the both of them burst out laughing. In a very casual and friendly manner, Kris extends a hand to her hair and pats her head.

 

“How have you been?”

 

Song Qian swats his hand away and smiles into his eyes. “I’ve been great. How about you?”

 

“Good,” Kris answers, “it’s been a really long time since we last spoke or saw each other.”

 

She nods in agreement, smoothing out her hair.

 

“You know each other?” Luna gasps.

 

Nodding again, Song Qian crosses her arms over her chest. “He was the prince of our high school; ace of basketball, notorious for his godly looks.”

 

“You didn’t seem to think so,” Kris grins.

 

Song Qian rolls her eyes as Luna drags her closer. Onew blinks emptily at all three people beside him. “So, who’s up for a late lunch?”

 

“I’m starving!” Song Qian exclaims.

 

Kris laughs and happily boasts, “My treat.”

 

 

 

 

 

Onew is an extreme gentleman, which very much relieves Song Qian. From what she knows about Luna, the girl really needs a man that is patient and will take delicately good care of her; Onew seems to be the perfect match in that regard.

 

The course of their lunch is very relaxed. Kris and Song Qian exchange a few conversations over lost time; they speak of their studies, some stresses over exams, and a little bit about their personal lives.

 

Luna doesn’t really understand the thin veil of tension between them until that one familiar name is brought up amongst their conversation.

 

“Have you kept in touch with Liyin?” Kris asks casually.

 

Song Qian’s smile falters a little. “I’ve never stopped,” she answers, forcing her smile back on, “how about you?”

 

“We lost contact for a while after she broke up with me but I did run into her a couple weeks ago at a bar downtown,” Kris admits. “She looks like she’s doing well.”

 

She smiles. “I heard her husband and in-laws are treating her very nicely.”

 

Kris thins his lips. “That’s… that’s good.”

 

At that moment, Song Qian doesn’t catch the glimpse of guiltiness in his eyes. “What about you? Are you dating now?”

 

“On and off,” Kris shrugs. “I haven’t been able to find the right person yet.”

 

Song Qian nods understandingly. “You will.”

 

“I think so too,” Kris agrees.

 

Suddenly, she feels gentle fingers on her wrist and when she glances down, she sees long fingers lifting the sleeve of her shirt up just slightly.

 

“You’re still wearing the bracelet,” Kris smiles at her.

 

Song Qian laughs, however, this time she doesn’t shy away from him like she used to. “Friends for forever, remember? Liyin is still wearing hers, too.”

 

“Is that so?” Kris chuckles. He doesn’t tell her that he knows because he once wanted Liyin to switch out her friendship bracelet for a new bracelet he had bought her but she had a complete fit over it.

 

Onew doesn’t pay much attention to the two as they speak, giving them their privacy, but Luna watches intently as the two continue holding hands. After they part ways upon finishing their meal, Luna is quick to ask her boyfriend about the boy.

 

“Is he a good guy? He seems like the player type. Do you think he’ll hurt Victoria?”

 

Finding his girlfriend silly, Onew gently hits her forehead and pulls her a little closer to himself as they walk in the street. “Kris is very nice.”

 

“He sounds like he dates a lot,” Luna deadpans.

 

“Well, he’s very popular amongst the ladies, that’s for sure,” Onew agrees. “Although, if I do say so myself, despite dating around a bit he’s always kept a safe distance with the girls he dates.”

 

Luna furrows her eyebrows. “What does that mean?”

 

“I mean he always used to seem like his heart was already set on someone and so he never opened up his heart to anyone else, even though he tried,” Onew explains. “After seeing him with your friend, I think I understand.”

 

“He was waiting for Vic?” Luna asks.

 

Onew shrugs, smiling at her, “Maybe.”

 

Or maybe he was just waiting for her to give him an opportunity, because he knew Song Qian coming back was just a matter of time.

 

 

 

 

 

Song Qian asks Kris one day,

 

“The world is round. Time is never ending, round and round it pushes forward. Do you think fate is the same?”

 

Kris looks her in the eyes, gaze hazy and lips swollen red from kissing her too many times. “It has to be,” he tells her, “how else would you be beside me right now if it wasn’t?”

 

------

 

A/N: Thank you, and I'm sorry. ♥Xue