End

The Last Words

 “Last Words”  

I blankly stare at the white wall in front of me as the sound of loud cries and screams surrounded the whole hospital lobby. I saw an middle aged woman running through the lobby like crazy. She was crying and her hair locks were all over her face. Pathetic. This is pathetic. 

I stood up from my seat and started to walk towards the exit door. I could see people crying burying their heads into their palms from my peripheral view. But I just simply walked passed them with my expression blank as ever. 

I exited the hospital and was met by the warm summer breeze. I walked towards a bench which was located in the shadow of a big jack-fruit tree. 
I dusted the sands accumulated on the bench with my hands. I blew on my palms in order to get rid of the dirt as I sat down on the bench. 

I stared at the blue sky, with my mind blank as ever. I closed my eyes as the warm breeze brushed my cold cheeks, leaving a ticklish feeling. Suddenly I felt, something poking my left ankle. My eyes shot open and I immediately looked down at my feet. My eyes widen at the sight in front of me. I saw a little kitten rubbing it's head on my ankle as it was of it's own feet.

Instead of smiling and petting the kitten, I sat frozen. Instead of adoring the kitten, I felt scared. I gripped my skirt as memories kept rushing back.

 

 

10 March, 2014

" Yah! Byun Baekhyun!" I shouted as I chased the running boy in front of me. 
" Catch me if you can slow-poke!" Baekhyun yelled while laughing. Aish this guy! 

I kept running after him at marathon speed when suddenly he stopped running and stood still , causing me to bump on his back. 
" Ouch!" I winced as I covered my nose with my hands. " Yah! " I yelled as I pulled him by the collar of his shirt. 


" Give me my phone back!" I ordered. I looked at him and he still seemed to be focused on something else at the front.I followed his gaze and saw a cute white Chinchilla cat lying on the floor. But it was trembling from the cold and looked really sick. 

" It has caught a cold." I heard Baekhyun whisper. I looked at him confusedly. " How'd you know?" 
He turned his head towards my direction and I could see the usual goofy smile plastered on his face.

" Oh well. The mighty Byun Baekhyun knows everything unlike someone who doesn't even know her House Address." he teased.
" Yah! I was really sleepy that morning okay?  Hmph ." I pouted.  "Aigoo." He started to pinch my cheeks. I threw him a what-the-hell-are-you-doing look and he stopped immediately. 

He cleared his throat before he started to speak. " I thought you already knew, but oh well. So I've always had this soft spot for soft and little animals since childhood. I really wanted to have a pet when I was young, But my mom never allowed me to have a pet since she thought they were too troublesome as they would go pooping around all over the house. " Baekhyun chuckled.

 

" One day, I was returning home from school and saw a little kitten hiding under our car. I took out the kitten and observed it. It had bruises and scratches all over it's body. I didn't have the heart to leave this injured kitten alone in the dark so I took it home. I had to a really big fight with a mother because of that kitten and in the end I won the fight as she allowed to keep it. I was literally jumping with joy. I always looked after it and would always come home early in order to feed it." He sighed.

" But one day after returning home, I got the biggest shock of my life. I saw the kitten lying on the floor, looking totally lifeless. I ran towards it and started to panic. I asked all the family members what had happened and all of of them stared at me with a guilty expression. My father was the first one to speak. He told me that the boy next door had come to play with the kitten in the morning. And he fed something weird to the kitten and the kitten died. Died, they said." He sighed again as he started at the kitten in front of us. 

" That night, I couldn't sleep at all. I spent the whole night crying. My mother kept me under her embrace the whole night. The next day, I went next door and beat the crap out of that friggin' boy. Well, my mother had to hear a lot of his parents because of me. But as if I cared. They were the one at fault and they came to scold me. Retards. " Baekhyun scoffed. 

I chuckled. He looked at me with furrowed eye-brows. " Nothing. It's just that your expressions change really quickly. You're really adorable sometimes. " I said, giggling. " Oh well, I'm adorable all the time." He said as he held his nose up-high. I cringed my nose as I smacked his head. 

The bell rang, meaning the the end of lunch break. " Aish. My lunch break got wasted because of you." I said as I glared at the grinning boy beside me. " But you like my company, don't you?" Baekhyun asked, wiggling his eye-brows. I smacked his head again. 
" Ouch! Are you really a girl?!" Baekhyun yelped. I smirked as I fixed my fringe. " Oh well, I am indeed an powerful girls.

" Oh really? Why don't you just join power puff girls. They're indeed your style. " He laughed at his own joke while I glared at him.
" Oh right! What do we do with this kitten?" I asked as I shifted my gaze towards the trembling kitten in front. 

" Hmm.. Does your parents allow pets?" He asked. I shook my head and he started to think again, tapping his chin and bitting his lips. He looked really adorable doing this. " Oh yes! How about we keep it in the school yard. We can always go there to look after it right? " He asked interlacing both of his hands. 

" Yep! We could do that." I smiled. He walked towards the kitten and lift it up very carefully. I quickly ran to the store room and brought a box. We put some newspapers inside the box and put the kitten on top of the papers.  

" Done!" Baekhyun beamed as he put the box with the kitten in a corner. I smiled seeing how determined he looked a few minutes back and now he's beaming like a kid who just received a lollipop from the dentist. " Okay so from now on the kitten will be staying here and you and I will be taking care of it. We could say we're it's Appa and Eomma." He laughed at he's own joke while I just stared at his angelic smile. 

He suddenly turned towards me, causing our eyes to meet. I quickly looked away and started to look around the room. I could literally feel cold sweats forming on my forehead. " Admit it. You were fantasizing m. Weren't you? " Baekhyun smirked. I turned towards him with wide eyes. , I got caught. 
" W-why would I fantasize you?" urgh! I just friggin' stuttered. 

" Hm. Well let's see." Baekhyun was tapping his chin with his index finger, pretending to think. " You love me don't you?" He used the same index finger to point towards me. My eyes widened. Oh no! Oh no! How did he know? I could feel the sweat drops sliding through the corner of my cheeks. 

Suddenly he started to laugh clutching onto his stomach. "Hahahaha! You..should've seen your expression! Priceless!" He managed to say in between his laughs. Aish! So it was one of his jokes. I glared at him and smacked his head...hard. " Ouch!" He winced. " You....I hate you!" I said before I walked out of the room.  I could hear my name being called, but as if as I cared. 

I continued walking until I reached my classroom. The teacher was already there. I apologized and went to my sit. I grumpily sat down and opened the subject book. He's always been like this. He always treats me as a joke. Ever since I met him during middle school, he has always been playful. But sometimes he's playfulness exeedes the limit. 

How come I fell in love with this stupid jerk? I sighed as I twirled the pen around my fingers. 

 I stared at the little kitten as it started to my toes. I could feel a lump forming inside my throat. I gupled, trying to get rid of it but the more I gulped, the more it hurt. I ever so carefully started to approach the kitten. I held both the side of it's waist with both of my hands and pulled the soft and silky white fur kitten up. I put the kitten on my lap and it started to rub it's cheeks on my skirt, seeking comfort. 

 

 

30 March, 2014

" You were supposed to bring the milk today." I said as I blew the bangs on my forehead. Baekhyun guiltily looked at the ground,  fiddling with his fingers.
" I swear I even remember putting it into my bag. " He said as he shifted his gaze towards me. I glared and he shifted his gaze back at at the ground. 

"And?" I asked crossing my arms. " And....I forgot that I had taken in out and drank it at night. " He pouted. I tried my hardest not to burst out into laughter during this serious conversation.  I sighed as I plopped on a bench. " Now what do we feed the kitten? It must be really hungry." I asked as  I leaned against the head-rest of the bench. 

 

Baekhyun sat beside me and sighed.  " Okay let me go and check if we have any milk in the canteen. You go and check the kitten meanwhile. " He said as he stood up. 
" What if they don't have any? " I asked as I looked up at him. " Can't you just think positive at least once?" He furrowed his eyebrows. I chuckled. " Okay okay. You go and buy the milk and I'll look after the kitten. " Baekhyun gave me the ‘thumbs up’ thing and walked off.

 

I sighed as I looked up at the gray clouded sky. It’s going to rain.  I always hated this kind of weather. Most of the girls probably love rain since they think it’s really romantic and all, but to me it’s scary. The dark sky, the cold wind, the loud and heart clenching lightening, the cold droplets of water – everything scares me. That’s why I always hoped for this kind of weather to be over soon as it really does nothing but give me the chills.

 

I went up the stairs and went to the top floor, the floor were the kitten resided. I walked through the empty corridors and flinched when I heard a loud thunder and caught a glimpse of lightning. I shivered. Everything was dark outside and it felt like evening. I quickly ran towards the end of the corridor . I panted as I held my bent knees. I slowly walked towards the box after catching my breath.

 

But I could feel the breath stuck on my throat as I saw the scenario in front of me.  I could see a little brown furred kitten with bruises and blood covering most of it's body. It's fur was sticky from all the dried blood and it looked like a bloody mess. I could feel my whole body going numb and  my knees gave up, causing me to fall on the cold hard floor.  I felt the world spinning around me. My throat was hurting and I could  feel warm liquid rolling down my cheeks.

 

I held the floor for support as I my head started to spin. The kitten. Our kitten. Our ..child. It's dead. It's gone. It's lying lifeless in front of me and all I can do is...nothing.

 

I started to sob harder. " Min Ah!" I heard a voice shouting from behind but I didn't have the strength to turn around. " Hey! What happened?" Baekhyun bent to my level as he put the milk bottles on the floor. Seeing the milk bottle I started to sob harder.  " I...it's gone. " I managed to mutter in better my sobs. Baekhyun immediately stood up and walked towards the box. I could see both of his hands fall loosely towards it's side as soon as he reached the box. 

I started to sob even harder. It can't be..I saw it just yesterday and...it can't be gone. It can't die.  Baekhyun slowly walked towards me and sat by my side. He wrapped his arms around my shoulder and hugged me tightly. I held onto his jacket collar and cried my heart out. I could feel my scalp getting wet which meant Baekhyun was also crying. We treated the kitten like our own first baby. It felt like my first baby was gone. Those silky warm fur was gone,  those cute doe-like eyes was gone, those sweet  'meaws' was gone. My cute little baby kitten was gone. 

 

The next day, Baekhyun talked with the teacher about the matter. But the teacher kept on blabbering about how we are not allowed to keep pets in the school and how it is all our fault to begin with. Baekhyun came and sat on the bench beside me. I turned my gaze towards him and he shook his head. " No one's helping at all. We have to find the kitty's culprit or else I won't be able to sleep at all. This is so messed up! Why would someone do this to such a cute little creature?" Baekhyun ruffled his own hair out of frustration. I sighed as I leaned on the bench. 

I looked up at the blue sky and closed my eyes. If it was any normal day, I would've enjoyed the beautiful weather. But I can't at the moment. All I could feel was sadness. But I have to get over it. Sadness won't bring the kitty back. It's gone and never coming back. I've to accept the truth. I didn't even realize when a tear escaped and rolled down from the corner of my eyes. I opened my eyes and wiped my cheeks with the back of my hand. I turned my head to the side and surprisingly Baekhyun wasn't there. When did he go? Was I so immersed in my thoughts that I didn't even realized the absence of his presence? 

I got up from the bench and started to look around. Where could've he gone to? He would've informed me if he went to talk with another teacher or someone. 
" Looking for your boyfriend?" I stopped on my tracks hearing the voice. That voice... I turned around and saw the person I least wanted to see right now. 
" What are you doing here Yi Xing? " I asked as my eyes hardened.  " Oh well well. Someone seems unhappy." Lay teased. I glared at him and my heels as I started to walk away. 

" I just saw your so called 'boyfriend' making out with Taeyeon." Lay suddenly spoke up causing me to stop in my tracks.  Instead of turning my body, I turned my head towards the side. " And you think I'd believe you? " I said looking at the ground. " Well, that's up to you. You can check them out if you want. They're in classroom 101. " Lay yawned as he walked away. 

I stood there, clenching and unclenching my jaw. Should I go? Or should I not? But that's totally impossible. I mean why would make out of Taeyeon sunbae in such situation? I know he had a crush on her ever since our freshman years, but Taeyeon sunbae already has a boyfriend so that's impossible. But then, why would Yi Xing lie to me? I mean yeah he's my ex and all and we had quite a really bad break up, but he won't have any reason to lie for for such a thing would he?

After standing there for a good couple of minutes, I decided that I should just go and check. It won't hurt to check, right? It's not like they're actually 'making out'.
 Reaching the 5th floor, I started to look for classroom 101. The last time I checked, it was at the far end of this floor. I could hear some faint voices as I started to walk towards the end of the corridor. I could feel my heart beat accelerate to an abnormal rate. I clenched my fists and held my breath. I had a feeling something really bad is coming ahead. As I finally reached the classroom door, I could hear moans and some faint voices. After calming my heart for a couple of seconds, I finally reached the door nob and opened it. 

My heart stopped at the sight in front of me. My hands fell loosely to both of my side. My whole body felt numb. My knees may give up any moment soon. I saw Baekhyun's arms wrapped around Taeyeon sunbae's waist as his face was buried on her neck. I saw Taeyeon sunbae legs wrapped around Baekhyun torso as she played with his hair. And the last thing I saw was, Baekhyun turning his head towards my direction and our eyes meet. And the last thing I felt was, the cold floor and everything going black. 

 

I leaned against the headrest of the bench as I pet the head of the kitten. I had fallen asleep on my lap. I sadly stared at it and sighed. My phone vibrated, pulling me out of my daze. I reached towards my bag and took out the phone.  I unlocked it and a message popped out. 

From: Lay
Sub: -- 


We found him. He's gone. 

 

 

 

16 April, 2014

It has been 16 days. 16 days since the last time I talked with Baekhyun. 16 days since the last time I saw his making out with Taeyeon sunbae. Since that day. Baekhyun had been calling me every 10 minutes. But I never answer them. He sends me text messages regarding each and every stupid thing he does, but I don't reply them. I haven't been going to school either. I told my mom that I've been feeling sick, so she doesn't force me either. Ever since the day I out in school, mom had been taking care of me a little too much. 

I sat up on my bed and and rubbed my eyes. Wearing my fluffy bunny slippers, I stood up and walked towards the mirror. My eyes widened at my own reflection. My hair looked like a bird nest while my eyes looked like that of panda's. I quickly fixed my hair while doing various expression, trying to find my old beauty. After realizing how stupid I was being, I stopped. I reached my hands towards the side table and took it. As soon as i unlocked it, 5 messages popped up. 

From: Baekhyunnie
Sub: Yah!

Yah! I'm telling you! You must come to school today! You. Must.Come. And when I say must, you must. Or else I'll kidnap you. 

From: Baekhyunnie
​Sub: Your late

You friggin' late! The ferry would be in here in no minute! Come quick! 

From: Baekhyunnie
​Sub: Idiot

You're an idiot. I really wanted to go to this field trip with you. Babo! 

From: Baekhyunnie
Sub: You missed it! 


Oh my god you seriously missed it! It's so fun! The cool breeze, the scenery- everything! I wish you were here TT.TT 

 

I sighed as I kept the phone back on the table. Today the school is going on a field trip. I had been anticipating for it a lot. But oh well, just my luck I guess. 
After washing up, I walked towards the dining hall and sat on my seat. Appa was reading a newspaper while Eomma was arranging some fruits. My life is so boring. 

I munched on the burned toast with a bored expression. I lazily took the TV remote from the table and pressed the on button but the TV won't start. I pressed it again and again but it was of no help. Lastly, I gave up and stopp up from my seat. " Min Ah, clean your room. I'll come and check." My mother yelled from behind while I just nodded while walking back to my room. 

After an hour of cleaning my room, I sat on my bed and lied on my back. Staring at the white ceiling, I imagined those beautiful times with Baekhyun and how much I'm missing him for the past couple of days. I'm prepared. I'm not prepared to hear the harsh and heart-breaking truth. I'm not. I didn't realized when a tear escaped and rolled down from my eyes. I wonder why my life suddenly turned to complicated. 

After staring at the ceiling for awhile, my eyes started to get get drowsy. And before I could realize, sleep took over. 

***

* Buzzz Buzz* I could feel my phone vibrate under my pillows. I frowned at moved to the other pillow on the bed. But I could still feel the phone buzzing. I sat up on my bed with a pissed expression. I carelessly took out the mobile from under the pillows and unlocked the screen. My eyes widened as soon as I unlocked it 50 missed calls. FIFTY MISSED CALLS! My jaw-dropped. Who could've called me so many times? I clicked on the 'missed calls' thingy and the names popped up. More like the name popped up. It was none other than Baekhyun.  All of those 50 missed calls were from Baekhyun.

It would've been normal if it was 10-15 missed calls sincehe's always been like this ever since I started to ignore him. But it's friggin' fifty. Something really must've happened. I could feel panic all over my body. "S-should I call him?" I murmured to my self. Before I knew it, I had already pressed the call button next to his name. 

" Beeeeep Beeeeep " The phone kept ringing but no one answered. I tried calling again but the result was same. Then I called again and again but no one answered. I could feel each of the muscles in the body tense up. I could feel goosebumps were all over my body. 

I got up from my bed and started to walk around the room aimlessly. What do I do? Is he okay? They're supposed to be in the ferry right now. I looked up on the wall clock and saw it was 8 pm. 

Suddenly I heard my mom scream my name. I dashed out of my room and reached the living room. I saw my mom collapsed on the floor and my dad was on the phone. I quickly ran over to my mom and bend down to her level. " What happened?!" Mom looked dazed before I asked her but my voice pulled her out of her daze. As soon as her eyes land on mine, she started to sob, hard. Looking at her, I could feel tearing automatically welling on my eyes. 

" M-mom. What happened?" I asked her in a broken voice. She looked up at me with her tear-stained face. "B-baekhyun.." I could feel my heart stop and my muscles freeze at the mention of his name. "Baekhyun what mom?! What happened to him?!" I yelled feeling frustrated. He must be okay. He should be okay. He should-

" The ferry your class was in... shrunk. " 

I couldn't feel my knees anymore. My whole body went numb and the next thing I felt was the hard floor, the painful throb in my head before the  scary darkness took over. 

 

I stared at the mobile screen as I gulped off the lump inside my throat. I c losed the message with my trembling fingers and tapped the screen, opening another message.

From: Baekhyunnie
Sub: --
Yah! I'm sure your crying a river by now but don't! I'm okay. I can't pick up the calls for some reason T^T But I swear if you cry, I'll never comeback.Never. And I'll jump off the ferry and drown myself -.- So promise me you won't cry kay? I promise I'll comeback if you don't :)  

Yesterday 00:00 


" Byun Baekhyun, you better not break your promise. You can't . J-just can't. " I whispered to myself. I closed the message and replied back to Lay.

To: Lay
Sub: Lie

Your lying. It isn't him. I'm sure you found someone else's body. You a liar and I know it better than anything. 


I placed the phone beside me on the bench. My legs were trembling and I could feel my chest vibrate from the hard throbbing of my heart. The lump inside my throat was getting worse and I could feel cold sweats on my forehead. Baek. You promised. 

My phone buzzed and I picked it up right away. 1 new message

From: Lay
Sub: --

We're coming to the hospital. Stay there. 


***



That's not him. That's not Baekhyun. That's not my best friend Baekhyun. That's not my crush Baekhyun. That's not Byun Baekhyun. 
In front of me lied a lifeless body of a 18 years old boy. His skin was colourless, his eyes were closed and his clothes were soaked in water. 

Lay walked over to my side and held my shoulder. " He's dead, Min Ah. You can cry. " 
I clenched my fists as I walked closer to the lifeless body, to the lifeless Byun Baekhyun. 

Slowly, I placed my tremblinghand on top of his chest. No beating, no rhythm. The musical rhythm I loved to hear were gone. 
" B-byun Baek..Baekhyun. You dare do this to me. You..you dared to break your promise." I talked with my shaky voice to the lifeless corpse infront of me. My tears streamed down my cheeks, falling ontop of his already wet black V neck t-shirt. " You-you liar! You liar!" I screamed as I roughly shook his chest. " You broke your freaking promise Byun Baekhyun! I didn't freaking cry! I kept the promise! But you broke you friggin' broke your promise your liar!" I yelled at the top of my lungs before collapsing on the floor. 

My mom ran towards me and sat beside my while holding my shoulders. " M-min Ah. Don't do this, my child. " she  softly spoke while squeezing my shoulders. " He broke his promise mom! Baekhyun is a liar." I sobbed as I hugged my mom.  " He can't be gone. He saw him just a few days ago. He was fine. He should be fine." I sobbed harder. 
" Mom, please tell him to come back. Please. " I begged my mother. I could see my mother chewing her lips, trying her best not to break down in front of me. 

" Uh excuse me. " I let go of my mother and saw a young man standing infront of us while holding something in his hands. "Yes?" my mother spoke. " Uh we found this tape-recorder from the body's pocket. " He said while holding the tape recorder infront of us. My mother took it and thanked the guy. " What is this?" I asked with my trembling voice. My mom examined the tape-recoder before holding it towards me. " I don't know how to play it. " I took the recorder and clicked the red button on it's head. There are three number buttons on it's left side. As soon as I clicked on no.1 , a voice started to play. 

" Is it working? Uh yeah it is! Okay so..uh this is Byun Baekhyun and...we're currently in a ferry. And..ugh this is so awkward. It feels like I'm talking to myself! Uh anyways, I'm recording this for my dear best friend, Jung Min Ah, who had been ignoring me for the past 15 days. That....forget it. So dear, Min Ah, since you don't reply to my texts and I'm no typist writing every single detail in a text message, I decided to record all of my thoughts in this recorder and get all the replies from you after I go back home from the field trip.  I have no friends you know! How could you ignore me for so many da- ................ Hey I think that's enough for now. The teachers are making some kind of announcement. Bye! " 

Tears streamed down my red eyes. With trembling tear-stained fingers, I pressed button no.2. 

" Omo!Omo! Min AH! You won't believe what they just said! They said the ferry is friggin' shrinking! Can you believe! Hahahaha! This is so adventurious! It feels like Titanic! I'm sure this would come out in the news. See? You missed it! You would've been shown in the TV just like me. Aish, this unlucky girl. Okay I should stop now my roommates are probably thinking I'm talking to myself. .. uh well I am though....Aish anyways! Bye!" 

" Babo..." I whispered while sobbing. I stopped as soon as I realized only the no.3 is left. The last record.  

"Uh Min Ah, the ship is really shrinking. I'm really scared right now. It's already in the news I think. And I already sent you a text a few minutes back. But the shrinking is getting worse and worse. Uh I don't know what ..to do. Umm...My heart is beating really fast. Everyone's already texted their parents with their last words. I...I don't know. Okay in case I die, I just wanted record my last words as well. So yeah I wish I could see you before I died. You brat. Now you pay for ignoring me. You'll miss won't you? You better. So there are a lot of things I wanted to say to you ....but family comes first. First of all, daddy I love you. And mommy, I love you too. Okay that's enough for them. Haha. Okay I shouldn't be laughing. So Min Ah...I...I think you saw that you day...you know Taeyeon sunbae. Aish! All I can say right now is I'm really sorry! Really sorry. I know just a sorry won't do ..but that's all I could do right now is this. I hope I don't die so that I can explain everything but...only fate knows. But Min Ah, maybe...maybe you didn't knew this. Uh well, I know you like me. Yes, I do. Your so stupid and obvious heheh. But I think you don't know that...I like you as well. I mean there were so many times I tried to show you but...you're babo! If only I stay alive, everything would be perfect now right? So that's all.....Mom I love you, dad I love you. Min Ah, I love you. I really hope we can have our happily ever after but.. only fate knows. And if I die, don't cry too much okay. You'll look ugly. Annyeong, Min Ah-ah." 


 

​*Beeeeeeep* 

 

And just like that, Byun Baekhyun left us leaving us his last voice, last memory and his last words.
 


 


 


 

 

 

author's note Hi ! Okay I know it T^T You can clearly tell it's rushed and even  I expected it to be alot more better but... I lost my motivation half way while writing the story :(  There's aloooot of typos. I still got to edit the whole thing but since I've my maths exams tomorrow,  I'll do it some other day. Even though my writing is crap, I still hope you like the story. Please don't forget to comment and upvote!^^

» layout credit