Piece of Paper

Piece of Paper

Piece of Paper

 

    Ae Chu and Kris didn’t have a normal relationship like all the other people in the world. Kris belonged to a famous K-Pop group while Ae Chu was just some girl that worked two jobs. Their relationship was unique in its own way. They loved each other with all their heart, they called/texted each other whenever they had the time, and they just showed their love for each other no matter how embarrassing it was for the both of them. But at times it was hard. When Kris and Ae Chu would go out on dates, she would have to avoid glares that were given to her by Kris’ fans. Sometimes even avoid the media that would try and question her about their relationship, trying to get every detail they possibly could. However, Kris and Ae Chu managed to maintain their relationship with fans and media, even if that means their dates would have to be inside the apartment.

 

    But all their love slowly faded away. The day when Kris stopped talking to Ae Chu in a loving manner and just talked to her as if he barely knew her. And after a few weeks, Ae Chu did the same. It felt as if their love was just between two opposite people who didn’t even know each others names. Then, one day, Kris left his phone on the bed while he was out rehearsing with the members. Ae Chu was home cleaning the apartment while she stumbled upon his phone. A girl texting him, using intimate words. With curiosity, along with anger, she opened up his phone to read the conversation between this girl and Kris. She thought her eyes were fooling her. Kris was texting a girl, she didn’t know, using words that he used before their love started to erase.

 

    When Kris came home, Ae Chu was sitting on the couch in the dark.

 

    “Hun, why are all the lights out?” He asked as he approached her form behind to see a glass of vodka and his phone opened up to the texts, “What is this?” He moved in front of her and grabbed his phone. He looked at the messages that were sent to him by the other girl.

 

    “Kris... I think we should end it here,” Ae Chu let out, staring at a spot in the living room.

 

    “What?” Was all that Kris could let out.

 

    Ae Chu got up from her position and grabbed a box that sat on the dining table. She made her way to the bedroom and took out her clothes from the room and stuffed them into the box. She could feel Kris’ eyes following her every movement. Ae Chu made her way to the bathroom and grabbed her things and placing it into the box.

 

    “Is that it?” Kris asked, standing in the door frame.

 

    “I think so...” Ae Chu said, getting up and checking every cabinet in the bathroom, “Oh!” She let out as she stumbled upon her hairbrush.

 

    Ae Chu grabbed the cover for the box and closed it tightly. She walked passed Kris, who made room for her to move out of the room. She didn’t dare to look back. To see his expression of her leaving would kill her. She headed straight for the door only to be held back by a pair of arms around her waist, followed by Kris’ face nuzzled into the crook of her neck.

 

    “Please... Please don’t go...” He muttered into her ear.

 

    His warm breath tingled on her skin and his voice somehow made her want to stay. He grabbed the box from her arms and set it on the ground, then turned her around.

 

    “Can’t you stay for a bit longer?” He asked while his eyes looked into hers, pleading for Ae Chu to say yes.

 

    “No, Kris. I’m leaving. It is better this way. It better for you, for me... For us to just end it right now.”

 

    Ae Chu could feel Kris’ grip tighten around her waist as she tried to push him away, only to be pulled in for a tight hug. Feeling his warmth. His strength. To breath his scent, made her go crazy. Ae Chu tried to push her way out from his tight grip, only to lose her strength in the process as she let out tears that rolled onto his shirt.

 

    “Kris... Let me go! You have to let me go! It’s better for us! Please!” Ae Chu pleaded.

 

    “No! I won’t let you go! I love you, Ae Chu!” Kris screamed as he forcefully pressed his lips against hers.

 

    Ae Chu stood there trying to get away while Kris’ lips moved forcefully against hers. In the kiss, Ae Chu got hold of her breath and shouted,

 

    “I said let. Me. Go!” And with a final push, Ae Chu used all the strength she could find to get away from his grip.

 

    Her back hit the wall as he let her go. Her tears wouldn’t stop falling. Her breath grew fast and her hands curled up into fists. Kris walked forward and cupped her face with his hands and pulled her up gently as he rested his forehead against hers.

 

    “Just, stay with me until I fall asleep... Then... You can leave...” Kris said.

 

    If that was the only thing Ae Chu had to do to get out of the apartment and end their relationship, then that’s what she would do. Kris took her hand and made their way to the bedroom. He patted the bed and Ae Chu sat up, back against the head board while her legs were crossed. Kris laid his head in her lap and closed his eyes. After 10 minutes, Ae Chu brushed his hair in between her fingers and looked at his sleeping face.

 

    Those eyes. Those lips. This body. His smile. I’ll miss everything. Should I really leave him? Ae Chu thought.

 

    She had to think of an answer. Would she leave or would she stay? She didn’t know which to choose. After 15 minutes, she finally thought of her solution.

 

    To leave.

 

    Ae Chu slowly lifted Kris’ head and placed a pillow under him. She made her way to the desk in the room and got out a pen and paper. She began to write all the things she could never say to Kris in person. Slowly and quietly, she exited the room to look back at the sleeping Kris. And then... Closed the door and grabbed the box and headed out of the apartment. Taking in everything while images of the good times she had with Kris in every corner of the apartment. However, what Ae Chu didn’t know, was that Kris was awake. He was unable to sleep. He saw Ae Chu write the note. He saw her leave the room. And he heard her leave the apartment. He sat up slowly, taking in the scene of the empty room that no longer kept Ae Chu’s belongings. He made his way to the desk and read the note.

 

    “Kris. I didn’t know that things would end like this. So sad, so depressing, and I didn’t expect us to end things like this. But, I can’t do anything to save what we have anymore. You and I are different people. And different people don’t mix well. Time passes, people change, and they mature. That’s exactly what happened to us. We no longer have anything to do with each other. We fell out of love. We aren’t the same happy couple we used to be a few years ago and we never will be now, I guess. And we should accept that reality of not being together anymore, no matter how hard it is. I hope all good things for EXO. I hope that you continue to work hard. I will cheer you on. I will support you. But I will do this from afar. Lastly... Thank you... For loving me, Kris.”

 

    Kris’ eyes began to tear up. His breathing became heavy. He dropped to his knees and cried the hardest he had ever cried in his life. Ae Chu, the thing he loved so dearly was gone. The light that always guided him, left him in the dark.

 

    Alone.

 

    Lost.

 

    And all he had left of her, was in a piece of paper.