Hope

Distance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Full house! I win," Eunhyuk called, putting down his cards.

"Aish, that's the second time in a row! Are you cheating?" Hyoyeon asked, reshuffling the cards.

"No, I'm just really good," he joked. "You need to learn from the expert." Hyoyeon playfully pounded his head.

"OK, Mr. Arrogant, wanna play another round?"

"Nah, let's do something else. If we play again, you're gonna kill me when I win again."

Hyoyeon glared at him. Eunhyuk gulped and got up.

"You're so dead!"

They went off into a chase around the area of the dance room. Although Hyoyeon was a fast runner, Eunhyuk was faster. It eventually seemed like he was chasing her instead. After another few seconds, Eunhyuk crossed the middle of the room and caught her from behind by the waist, lifting her and spinning the exhausted woman around.

"Y-Yah! I'm getting dizzy! Put me down!" Hyoyeon managed to say in between laughs.

"Whaaat? I didn't hear the magic word!" Eunhyuk laughed, continuing to spin her around without the slightest sign of exhaustion.

"Oppa! Get me down! I'm gonna puke on you!" She teased, making vomit noises.

"You wouldn't! I know you wouldn't, you nasty girl!"

Hyoyeon, on the verge of passing out, swung her leg behind and kicked Eunhyuk's leg, making him lose his balance and fall to the floor without letting go of the sturdy female

"Aish!" He cried, landing on his back. He felt slight pain on his shoulder blades and lack-of to speak of, but the pain was slightly worse considering he had an extra 40 kilograms of weight. He immediately unwrapped his arms to hold his leg, giving Hyoyeon the chance to escape from her predator.

"Omo! I didn't think you would be in this much pain! I'm so sorry, Oppa! Are you OK?" Hyoyeon mentally cursed herself. She could have damaged Eunhyuk's career and reputation as the Dancing Machine if he sprained or broke a joint or bone in his leg. Also, what kind of question was that? He was on the floor, holding his leg for dear life and on the verge of tears. She truly felt remorseful, and the least she could do was help. "I'll go get some ice. I'll be right back!"

Right when she turned to exit the room, Eunhyuk stopped her.

"Wait, Hyoyeon-ah, don't go. I'm fine, just don't leave me by myself."

At that moment, it felt as though time had stopped.

Don't go... Don't leave me...

Those words sounded so familiar to what happened two years ago. They were sitting on her bed, hands locked, her head resting on his shoulder. Eunhyuk was the one who started the conversation to break up. She remembered every action he made and every word he spoke.

I think it's best that we break up so we focus on our careers in SM. I'm sorry. We can still be best friends, at least.

Hyoyeon was beyond distraught. She couldn't let him do this to the both of them. She didn't want to believe he was going to end such a happy relationship full of smiles, laughs, and kisses. They met in 2001, when they were both in grade school, and became best friends. She was the happiest girl in the world when he finally asked her to be his girlfriend in 2008.

She was praying that he was joking, but there was no emotion written on his face that day. She begged for him to stay, but he was true to his word. He gave a final peck on her lips before he left that room. Who knew how long it took for Taeyeon and Seohyun to comfort her.

Now, they were in the same room, alone, and Eunhyuk decided to implicitly bring up the past. She felt as though her sneakers were glued to the floor. She flinched when she felt his hand gently hold hers, pulling her down to sit next to him.

"Hyoyeon-ah, I haven't seen you in so long. Please don't leave again."

"Again? What do you mean again? You're the one who left me."

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't act like you have no idea. You know exactly what I mean."

"Hyoyeon, just tell me. I honestly don't know what you're talking about."

Hyoyeon sighed and pulled her arm out of Eunhyuk's grip.

"I never left you. You're bringing the past up again, and you don't even realize it. Did you forget what happened?"

Eunhyuk sighed, dreading the memory of his ultimate bliss and joy. The memory of his best friend. The memory of his lover.

"You didn't forget, did you? I'm not the only one who is still haunted by this memory?" Hyoyeon asked, waiting for his answer. Eunhyuk shook his head, keeping his gaze focused on the floor. Anything that would keep his eyes away from the woman in front of him.

"I'll get you your ice. Your ankle is starting to swell."

As she got up, she was immediately pulled down again. She turned her head to see him staring at her with guilt.

"Don't leave. I need to talk to you now."

"But your ankle – "

"Forget my ankle, OK? The pain in my ankle is nothing like the pain in my heart."

"Eunhyuk-oppa, I'm not letting you do this to yourself. If you don't want me to help, then I'm getting someone else."

Hyoyeon got up and walked towards her bag. In silence, she p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter