Unspoken & Unheard

Unspoken & Unheard

     Flowers were beautifully blooming in the school garden of Starlight University and a third grade high school student named Luhan was loving each part of it. For his years of stay in the university, nothing was more spectacular to his eyes but the picturesque view of the school garden.

      "Bloom beautifully, okay?" Luhan talked dearly to an orange rose bud. He believed that talking to flowers with sweet words would make them grow healthier and lovelier.

     He lifted his head and caught sight of his friend, Yixing, talking to another high school student. The said friend was a friendly dancer and he always introduce new people to Luhan, mostly newbies in the dance club he was in.

     The flower boy, or the flower-lover boy rather, couldn't clearly see the guy Yixing was talking to since all he could see was his friend's back moving from time to time. All he had were few glimpses of the boy's figure like the arm & sleeves, leg & pants, purple hair & ears. Luhan also saw the yellow ID cord which meant that the boy was in first grade in high school, that's if that guy obey the color-coding of ID cord according to school grade.

     Luhan eventually felt tired of craning his neck just to see the face of the boy so he just returned his focus back to the flowers and buds. Talking to the plants like they were his children, or even girlfriends, Luhan felt a tap on his back. He looked back and there he saw his friend dancer.

     "Hello, Luhan. Talking to your babies again?" Yixing asked with a dimpled smile.

     "As always. They make me forget the pressure here in school. As if this garden is the most calming place I can stay with. Close to nature and away from the harsh environment of school."

     "I just asked and then you emoted. Let's go, Luhan. You seem like you've gone insane with the heavy schoolworks," the dimpled boy commented and walked away.

      "Yah! What are you talking about? I'm just loving the nature!" The doe-eyed Luhan reacted childishly as he stood up.

     "You act like a brat, you know."

     "Yah! Lay! Where are you going?" Luhan shouted using Yixing's nickname.

     "Just come along before the school closes. I'll treat you bubble tea," he replied in a carefree manner.

     Luhan picked up his bag and said goodbye to the flowers. Then he straddled along the footwalk to catch up with his friend. Aside from flowers, Luhan also loved bubble tea. So when he heard about the treat, he had no other choice but to obey his instincts and go with Yixing.

     They came into the shop and they were greeted with the cool air of the said place. Luhan liked it for it scented like roses. His eyes were smiling when Lay handed him his taro-flavored bubble tea and looked for a table to sit. The two talked about random stuffs which were school-related. The topic drifted off to lovelife and such and Yixing seemed like avoiding Luhan's questions, blushing with embarrassment. When Lay threw the questions back to Luhan, the boy just answered that he's happily inlove with the school garden's flowers. Yixing was about to say something to the pink-haired boy but forgot it when he saw someone familiar came in the shop. His eyes followed the figure from the door up to the counter. He waited for the person to finish ordering before he called for the attention.

     "Sehun! Over here!" He called the boy and as soon as the called one looked at his direction, he waved and patted the seat next to him, gesturing that boy named Sehun to sit with them.

      The boy approached them and shyly spoke, "Yixing-hyung. Hello."

     "I thought you're going to meet your mom," Yixing opened up the conversation whilst Sehun was still standing.

     "Yeah. We'll be meeting here," Sehun answered and took a sip from his chocolate bubble tea.

     "Oh. I see. Well, take a sit. Join us for the meantime while waiting for your mom," Lay offered and the younger sat down beside him with a smile.

     "Thanks, Yixing-hyung," he thanked and took another sip.

     "You're welcome. And by the way, meet my friend, Lu- Hey, Luhan?" He checked the boy who's staring at the counter with mouth widely gaping.

     "Hey, Luhan! You're drooling!" The dancer exclaimed and the doe-eyed snapped back to reality and quickly wiped his mouth with a tissue. Yixing was hardly laughing at him while Sehun just pursed himself to a smile to suppress any chortle to escape.

     "Yah! I did not drool!" He reacted when he realized that his friend just played a prank on him.

     "Yeah. I know. I did that 'cause you're daydreaming. Are you fantasizing something about that girl in the counter or what?"

     "Absolutely not! I told you that my lovelife is the school garden!"

     "Tsk! Too childish for a graduating high school student," Lay bluntly said.

     "Whatever." And those doe eyes were rolled.

     "Don't 'whatever' me. Remember that I treated you bubble tea. Hmph! I just called your attention 'cause I'm gonna introduce you to this handsome boy but then you just 'whatever whatever' me. What a grateful kid. Be like this polite & gentle boy beside me," Yixing reffered to Sehun and the latter felt flattered.

     "Well, Luhan, meet the new trainee under my care, Sehun. Sehun, meet my flower-lover friend, Luhan," he introduced the two and gestured to them to shake hands.

      "Nice to meet you, Luhan-hyung," the purple-head said as he shook their hands.

     "N-nice to m-meet you, too," Luhan stuttered as he felt kinda strange and was consumed by the i-don't-know-what-to-do feeling.

     The two pulled away and the younger heard the door of the shop open. Easily distracted, he looked at the door's direction and saw his mom coming in.

     "Yixing-hyung, mom's already here. I need to go," Sehun informed and then the dancer let him go after exchanging goodbyes.

     "Once again, nice to meet you, Luhan-hyung," Sehun said with a bow and walked to his mom.

     Luhan's eyes just followed the boy's figure. He felt something weird inside him and he's trying his best to ignore it but to no avail. He had no clue of what's happening to him.

      "His hair, it's so appealing to my eyes like lavenders or taro bubble tea. His soft hands are comparable to delicate petals of roses. His smile is as bright & lovely as the field of sunflowers in full bloom under the daylight. And his scent, it's like the combination of flowers in spring..." Luhan thought to himself, comparing Sehun to flowers.

     "-and that's what happened. Han? Are you listening? Lu Han! Hey!" Yixing exclaimed at the physically present but mentally absent Luhan.

     "Ah! U-uhhh.... I'm sorry... I was... deeply thinking of something..."

     Yixing looked at the direction Luhan was staring a while ago and a smirked formed in his lips.

     "Someone found a new lovelife, huh?"

     "W-who do you mean?" The doe-eyed asked with a bit of stammering.

     "The one who asked if who I meant," the dimpled boy replied.

     "Me? Lovelife?" And Lay just nodded with pursed lips.

     "Fiddlesticks... And with who will that be?"

     "That..." The dancer's lips gestured to the purple-haired boy sitting with his mother on one of the tables of the shop.

     "S-Sehun? S-seriously? You're kidding me, aren't you? He's a boy!"

     "Love knows no boundaries..." Lay showcased his dimples and stood up.

    c"Hey, Lay!" Luhan stood up and followed behind.

     Lay passed by Sehun's table and gestured that he's going with Luhan already. The younger just waved at his hyungs and Luhan hesitated to waved back but did so anyway. As they exited the shop, Luhan secretly smiled, admitting to himself that henceforth, Sehun was his crush.

     "A flower boy has a crush on another flower boy. What a flowery world," he thought to himself, liking that so-called flowery world.

     Days passed by and Luhan had fanboyed over the purple-head's flower-compared features more frequently and intensely. He didn't noticed that he's hanging out with Lay more often because of his hopes that he might witness the charms of the flower boy. His friend wasn't surprised and secretly happy about Luhan's actions. Not for himself but for Luhan. He knew that the deer was doing it because of Sehun.

     Luhan's time for the garden was decreased and his time for Lay increased. Yixing noticed that the doe-eyed was after for a bigger flower and a way far lovelier. He just pitied the flowers in the garden that seemed deprived of Luhan's care and attention. A day came where the dancer decided to confront Luhan about the changes.

     "Han? You seem to forget about the garden and instead have more time with me or waiting for my practices in dance guild to end. What's the sudden change?" Asked by Lay albeit he knew the answer already.

     "H-huh? R-really? Maybe because the flowers are not in season to bloom. I'm easily bored with the garden not so teeming with flowers. So that's why. That's why I tried to escape the boredom by hanging out with you."

     "Eh? But before, you still give the garden more attention although they're not in season to bloom. I expect other answers, Han."

     "Lay, I don't have anymore reasons. I'm still watching out for the flowers," Luhan calmly argued.

     "Yes. But not the flowers in the garden. Another big lovely flower perhaps?" Lay sounded so teasing.

      "Huh? I don't get you," with a nod sidewards, Luhan indirectly asked for a clarification.

     "Chocolate bubble tea. Purple hair. Perfect jawline. Lisp. First grade in high school. Dancer. New lovelife. Ring a bell?"

     Han's eyes widened when someon came into his mind then suddenly became half-lidded when he realized the gender. "We're both boys, Xing. Sehun and I are just... meant to be friends..." Luhan said and looked down.

     "But you have a crush on him, right? Don't be shy. I am your friend, y'know," Lay tried to convinced him. Then the other just shyly nodded.

     "I'm not surprised. I'm just waiting for you to open yourself up and tell it to me. Well, Sehun is a good boy. He may not look like it but he really values his friends and is fond of skinship."

     "Why are you telling this to me, Lay?" The deer sincerely asked.

     "Because I want you to refrain from the 'stop & stare' thing and level up your relationship with him. I want you to be happy, you know," he smiled as he said that.

     "But how will I do that? He seems to attract a lot of girls," Luhan doubted with a scratch on his head.

     "Ahemm... I'm here, remember?" And the deer's face gained refulgence.

     "Are...you sure?"

     "No. I'm just joking earlier. I'm just fooling around with you," Yixing sarcastically deadpanned. "Of course! Duh?!"

     "Really, Yixing? Thank you soooo much!" He cheered, hugging the boy who suddenly became a bit irritated by the action.

     "But you need to see something first so that you will be at least a bit comfy of boy x boy relationships," Lay said and dragged Luhan to he-knows-where.

---

     "Stay here behind the tree and see what I will do," he instructed the pink-haired.

     He went to sit on one of the benches in the park. Soon after few seconds of fumbling on his phone, someone came. He's a very good-looking guy despite of his height. Luhan thought that the newcomer was cute and has a smile similar to blooming daisies, bright and lovely. But despite of which, he still loved the sunflower-like smile of his crush.

     Yixing greeted the cute guy and unexpectedly shared a kiss on the lips and sweetly went lovey-doveys. Luhan was shocked of what he saw and covered his mouth as he gaped. He continued watching and he felt envy of Lay.

     "Joonmyeonnie, I want to help someone be open with boy x boy relationships. Will you help me?" Yixing asked with a childish tone and pout. Luhan laughed at him, unused to that side of his friend.

     "Of course, Baby Lay. Who is this guy?"

     "Han! Show up already," and the deer shyly showed up behind the tree.

     "H-hi..." He uttered.

     "Hello. I'm Joonmyeon but you may call me Suho. I'm Yixing's boyfriend. Nice to meet you and soon help you," Joonmyeon introduced in a charming manner and Luhan just sheepishly smiled as he introduced himself.

---

     Yixing & Joonmyeon did help Luhan. One time, the dancer set up a small treat sponsored by his wealthy boyfriend due to his and Sehun's win from the school's dance showdown. Along the treat, Yixing brought his boyfriend and Luhan with him. The couple wasn't that obvious for Sehun's sake. They didn't know if he's straight or what because he's so manly but kept on rejecting girls.

     The couple sat beside each other and let the other two sat side by side. They had made ways to bring the two closer. That was accomplished by the two making their topics revolve around Sehun, Luhan, their differences, similarities, likes & dislikes. Overall, it appeared to be working snd effective. Well, the celebration soon ended but they had fun, most especially Luhan who felt that Sehun's already opening himself up to him.

---

     Months had passed and the two flower boys already became best of friends. They shared a lot of similiraties and accepted many differences. They enjoyed every likes and respected each of their dislikes. Through the efforts of the SuLay couple, they achieved the friendship everyone would envy.

     During the time of the process of construction of their friendship, there came a time where Sehun asked Luhan to be his brother figure that would look out for him and care for him. Feeling overwhelmed by the sudden wish of Sehun's that gave him feels and sparks shooting all throughout his body, he gladly accepted it and thenceforth put his heart into caring for his younger brother figure. Although they're not in a relationship he always wanted, Luhan already felt happy and contented for what he and Sehun had. Up until the present, the deer still kept his feelings, which started from a simple a crush that had flourished as the time flew, inside him and tried his best not to be so obvious.

     "Lulu-hyung!" The purple-haired called after the pink-head walking along the hallways.

     "So, my younger brother is here, eh?" Luhan said after seeing Sehun jogging towards him. And by the way, yes, he let the purple-haired boy call him Lulu-hyung although it sounded girlish. He let him for the younger found it cute and wanted it that way.

     "Hyung! I'm so happy!" He exclaimed from afar, not minding the students that was looking at him.

     "H-hey! Hey! Slow down!" He warned but as soon as Sehun could already reach him, the purple-haired hugged him with a great impact, making him almost stumbling backwards. He just then hugged back for he knew it's a big deal, a very big one enough to make Sehun almost crush him like how pythons crush their preys.

     "Whoa... Calm down first before you spin me the yarn," the older ordered to the younger who's wanting to say something but still chasing his breath.

     The younger did so and after around half a minute, he already caught his breath. He sheepishly smiled as he realized the embarrassing scene he created.

     "Hyung! Look!" He happily chirped and shoved a his report card stapled with a small piece of paper.

     Luhan felt like he's turning into a croos-eyed person when he tried to focus his eyes on the things written on the paper very close to him. He just decided to take it and then examined it. The paper contained a note from Sehun's adviser, congratulating the said boy for being the rank one of their class. He slowly averted his eyes to Sehun with a surprised face and when his eyes met with Sehun's who was grinning like an idiot, he let out a happy squawk and cheered with his dongsaeng.

     "I'm so proud of you, Sese!" Lulu exclaimed and absent-mindedly hugged the purple-head who merrily hugged him back.

     "Congratulations, Sese! Hyung is overjoyed for you!"

     "Thanks a million, hyung! It's because of you, my tutor!"

     Luhan smiled as he remembered it. He made the tutorial as an excuse in order for him to access the boy's house and to spend more time with him, of course. He didn't know that his move to be closer with Sehun turned out to have a very good product. Luhan felt proud of himself also that he almost teared up.

     "But wait, there's more, Lulu-hyung. I already became a varsity in the dance guild like Yixing-hyung. I can now have trainees under me," Sehun added to the good news.

     "Whoa... You're amazing, Sese! You've improved a lot."

     "That is because I have a hyung that cares for me and supports me more than anyone out there does. You're one of my inspirations, hyung. Thank you so much," Sehun thanked and Luhan felt flattered. Then the four-syllable word that started with I and ended with N replayed on Luhan's mind. He felt weird with it suddenly.

     "Me too... You're my inspiration..." He weakly replied and he felt like it's a vague confession. He didn't know why he felt pained.

     "Really, hyung? Hehe! Thanks! I hope my other inspirations like Xing-hyung, Eunji and others have me as their inspiration too. And oh, by the way, let's go to the bubble tea shop. Let's celebrate and my treat!" The younger said and dragged him but not harshly. While the younger boy wasn't looking, the other somehow managed to smile a sad smile at the younger boy's alacrity.

     "To you, I'm just an ordinary inspiration... But to me you're more than an inspiration..." Luhan thought and couldn't help himself but feel kinda sad about it.

     As Luhan was being dragged by Sehun by the wrist, memories created uproar in his mind. He remembered everything they went through. The small fights and the merry moments, everything. He remembered it all and he wanted to show those to Sehun.

     He could still recall the time where Sehun accidentally kissed him on the lips. The younger was apologizing repeatedly like he had unlimited supply of "sorry, hyung" on his voice box. He felt kinda unhappy and hurt before because Sehun was acting like he really didn't want it and truly regretted that he let himself become careless that it happened. That time, Luhan was crying hard and seeked refuge under Lay which was later accompanied by Joonmyeon. Well, the only thing that they could help that time was to give Luhan comfort since they made a deal that when it comes to the confession of feelings, Luhan must be incharged and no one else.

     Another memory came back and it was when Sehun was pushing Luhan to Naeun and urging him to admit that the deer had a crush to the said girl even though Luhan hadn't. The pink-haired hated Sehun and the too much teasing to the extent that he ignored the boy for almost a week. It hurt Luhan more when all throughout that time span that he ignores Sehun, the purple-head hadn't made any move to patch things up but instead it's him, Luhan himself, who cleared the mess Sehun created. That time, he felt that his love was really one-sided.

     Memories continued to flood and Luhan couldn't help himself but to just let the memories revive the pain he shattered before and let them shatter him.

     December memories took their turn to hurt Luhan. It was the time where he started tutoring Sehun. There would be cold drafts but Sehun would stand up, give a thicker sweater and prepare hot chocolate for both of them. Then, whenever they already wanted to have a break, they would just stop, exchange stories or even have several rounds of snowball fights outside as if they're kids who still believe into Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Sandman and Jack Frost. Yeah, the so-called guardians, actually. Well, of course, December included Christmas and the two also moulded memories on that special day. Just simple yet memorable shopping in the morning. To Luhan, it's a date, to Sehun, well, who knew? It could be just a simple shopping to him.

     Their Christmas wasn't limited like that. They exchanged greetings, messages and gifts, of course. Luhan gave those three with all might and love his heart could give. And he just hoped that Sehun was the same. He gave Sehun a beanie and a sweater while he received a scarf and the same sweater. Luhan remembered how they cutely argued who among them had a better gift to Yixing. Oh well, childishness was an inextinguishable flame.

     Luhan had enough of the dose of masochism that he's taking. He shrugged off each thought in his mind, trying to clear it and free himself from the torture he's inflicting to himself. The doe-eyed just pushed back the tears that was threatening to fall and wore a mask called "smile" which was basically fake.

     In a matter of minutes, they reached the shop and they immediately looked for a table to sit. Sehun told Luhan to stay in their table while he was ordering. Well, they both knew each other's favorite flavor, which was taro for Luhan and chocolate for Sehun, when it comes to bubble tea so there's no need to discuss what flavor to buy everytime they go to the bubble tea shop.

     The deer just waited there and he realized that it's already February, the month of love. Just around one mote week and it's already Valentine's Day. He's thinking if he would confess on the 14th day or not. But then the memories he tried to recall earlier still had their momentum of melancholy affecting him so he chose not to. But another "but then," Yixing and Joonmyeon's W.O.W. or Words Of Wisdom.

     "If you love someone, tell them. Don't let your heart be broken by words left unspoken," the dimpled dancer told him before.

     "Sometimes, you really need to risk. Don't let your heart be shattered by your confessions left unheard," the rich boyfriend added.

     It made Luhan think, "They have a point, I must take the risk but in one condition. That is if I saw a blue rose on the day of hearts, then there, I'll confess the next day." He just smiled inwardly, thinking that it's fair.

     The purple-head returned with the bubble teas in hand. He ordered the biggest size available and added more pearls on. Seeing the approaching boy, he prepared to make the best act with his mask. Then they just went on like their bubble tea "date which is not totally a date", talking, having 'fun' and such.

     "Hyung? Is there something wrong? You look unhappy," Sehun asked, noticing the gloomy aura despite of the masquerade worn by Luhan which was perfectly identical to his true smiles.

     "Nothing much, Sese. I just remembered that Valentine's Day is near. I hope no stingy student will pick flowers in the school garden," he denied and absent-mindedly gave the boy a hint about flowers. Sehun knew he loves flowers very much.

     "Ayeeee! 'Cause you're giving them to Naeun, aren't you?" Unfortunately, the hint wasn't received and it made Luhan's mood to change suddenly. "I-I'm just j-joking, hyung. Hehe! Don't worry, no one will pick them. I know students in the University prepared something for the special occasion," he sheepishly smiled and stammered as he saw the glare. Luhan just smiled at the cute lisp.

     Days in Luhan's calendar were one by one marked X until it was the encircled two-digit numbers' turn to be marked. Apparently, it's number fourteen, Valentine's Day. Moving with a jittery feeling, Luhan went to school with hopes raised up high.

     Luhan intentionally didn't visit any flower shop to avoid the spoiling of his condition. He just bought chocolates in case Sehun would ask him any Valentine gift. And aside from that, he plucked a white rose in full bloom which he had grown at home by himself.

     The doe-eyed happened to pass by Sehun's locker. He noticed that the white rose on his hand was slowly withering so he just took a small piece of purple ribbon included on the pack of chocolate and knotted on the stem. He thought that it would serve as a mark. Luhan left it on Sehun's locker without any note or message that it came from him. There's just a simple "I <3 U! Happy Valentine's Day, Sehun!" written on a post-it note and stapled to one of the leaves. He wanted to see and to know what would his dongsaeng do to that white rose if it's anonymous to Sehun.

     The day was romantic and lovely. Serenades, confessions, lovers, chocolates, presents, letters. They all made up the Valentine atmosphere. One thing wasn't mentioned and it was Luhan's favorite, flowers. They spread everywhere in the campus and they went in different kinds and colors. Luhan also received letters, chocolates, presents and flowers coming from girls and also boys. He gladly accepted them, most especially the flowers. So far, no blue rose was spotted and Luhan didn't know what to feel.

     Lunch time came and the deer witnessed Sehun carrying twice as much presents as he had. Despite of which, Sehun still hadn't forgotten someone to ask a Valentine gift.

     "Lulu-hyung! Where's your Valentine gift to your overly handsome & charming dongsaeng?"

     "Say what? Sese, did the chocolates make you hyper already? Or have you grown boastful due to the amount of presents you received?"

     "Yah, hyung! I'm just joking. But seriously, where's my gift?" Sehun reacted and gestured his hands to give him something. Luhan had no choice but to give him the chocolates.

     "Thanks, hyung! Here's your gift from me," Sehun thanked while he opened his bag and took out chocolates and brownies. "Don't feel bad if you haven't gotten many chocolates. We'll eat these chocolates together later," the younger talked and referred to the big plastic bag which was full of chocolates and sweet treats.

     "Cocky kid!" Luhan playfully retorted.

     The day went on. Luhan was chuckling while reading the letters of both greetings and confessions that he received. He hadn't noticed that he's making himself busy and it's kinda unfair for his set condition, the blue rose thing blah blah blah. Well, he's sitting on the grass-covered ground of the school garden with legs crossed. He was startled when a white rose fell on the letter he's reading. The deer looked up and saw Sehun, smiling like an idiot. Luhan examined the white rose and it's the same rose he left on Sehun's locker.

     "That's from you, right? Your penmanship is one of the three evidences I spotted so far. The other is this purple ribbon. I found it present on the chocolate you gave me as your Valentine gift. And lastly, I know you raise white roses as beautiful as this at your home," Sehun said the exposition how he concluded that the rose was from his Lulu-hyung. The deer was just gaping from amazement as he listened.

     "Bravo, Sese... You can be a sleuth now," He uttered with his hopes raised too high above. He's wondering if Sehun already found out his love for him.

     "I have something to give you. Don't worry, I bought these. I didn't recycle what others gave me," the purple-head told him as he looked for something on his plastic bag full of presents.

     Luhan waited and waited. He expected it to be another expensive chocolate or any gift like a teddy. He didn't know but he felt nervous. After several moments, Sehun already found it and took it out of the bag. The pink-head teared up as he saw a blue rose thrown down to his lap.