TOTGA.

The One That Got Away.

Tao sat there, leaning on his knees, wringing his hands. His legs were restless and wouldn’t stop moving. People gave him weird looks but he could care less. His friend was getting married. He was going to watch her get married today. In a few minutes, it’d be too late for him. He’d never get to confess to her. Then the music began and everyone turned around. There she was. His beautiful best friend. The beautiful girl he was in love with…

———

As you walked down the aisle, you looked at your soon to be husband and your heart was beating out of control. All eyes were on you. It made you a bit nervous but then you spotted Tao in the crowd and your heart was instantly at ease. You smiled at him and continued to walk towards the alter.

———

If anyone knows why this couple cannot be wed, speak now or forever hold your peace”, the priest said, looking around.

He knew it was wrong, she might actually truly be happy with her fiancé but the selfish, childish side of him was kicking in. He couldn’t let her marry someone else when he knew they both had unspoken feelings for each other. His objection wasn’t a valid, legal reason so he could be forced to leave for disruption but if she decided to leave with him then that’s all that mattered. He took a deep breath. It was now or never. 

He slowly stood up and made his way to her. He heard whispers and felt eyes burning a hole into his back but he didn’t care. He blocked out everybody else and only had his eyes set on her. She looked both shocked and speechless as he walked towards her.

Please don’t do this”, he whispered as he grabbed her hands.

He noticed her eyes were shaking as she listened to him. He also heard commotion and shouting from the people around but he didn’t care, he only saw her and cared about her reaction. She didn’t pull her hands away so he took it as a sign that he should continue.

I know we’ve been friends for a long time, but I also know that you love me and that I love you too”, he stated bravely, his voice no louder than a whisper.

Suddenly he felt arms around him, pulling him away from her. He didn’t fight them, he just let them pull him away. He didn’t want to make a bigger scene than he already did if she decided to marry her fiance. he reached out his hand. This was the last thing he’d do to confirm her answer. He was getting pulled further and further away from her. He saw tears running down her face and when he blinked, he felt tears run down his own as she stood there watching him.

There was his answer. She wasn’t going to come to him. She wasn’t going to reach for him and take his hand. Just as he was going to drop his hand, she picked up her dress, bit her lip and ran towards him. He immediately pushed off the people dragging him away and ran towards her. He greeted her with a tight hug and kissed the top of her head. She buried her face into his shirt and lightly hit his chest.

Why’d you wait so long?”, she questioned between soft sobs.

He pulled away and looked down at the ground while sliding his hands down her arms to hold her hands.

I’m sorry. I’m sorry I waited so long”, he whispered.

Suddenly he felt her grip tighter onto one of his hands and let go of the other, using that hand to grab her dress. Next thing he knew, she was leading him towards the doors that led out of the church. Through all of the shouting and yelling and commotion, he heard her laugh out as clear as day, she sounded so happy and relieved. That put a smile on his face and he decided to take the lead. He took a couple of strides and now he was leading her. Leading her through the doors into the bright sunlight. Leading her to their new future together, which he hoped would be just as bright.