Heartaches

The Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hai guise. This chapter is almost 1000 words, nearly 2x the length of the other chapters (because it's very important). Lol, sorry. Anyway, this is the only chapter that will contain any romance (just a kiss, calm yourselves). Though you don't have to read it (I'll kindly put a brief explanation at the bottom), some of the dialogue is important enough and whatnot. Your choice.

2008 (Minho- 17, Taemin-15)

 

Minho and Taemin were both in high school when they both realized-

 

Oh . I think I like my best friend.

 

Puberty had done good things to Minho- no longer was he the lanky awkward middle schooler. He was now the tall, muscular soccer star and school heart throb. His black hair had lightened up over the years and was now a chocolatey brown.

 

Taemin had his fair share of growing up, too. He went from being a short, skinny pale boy to the tall, lean, beautifully handsome man he is today. Okay, he’s only 15, but still.

 

The two remained close, but it seemed as though there was some invisible divide between them. Very subtle, but definitely there, and neither liked it at all.

Minho and Taemin sat in their little fort that had been made so long ago. Taemin’s parents wanted to get rid of it, saying “you’ve had it for so long. It’s dusty, old, and you aren’t children anymore.”

 

However, Taemin nearly threw a fit when they said that. So much had happened in that box, and he was afraid that if he let it go, he’d not only let go of his memories, but of Minho also.

 

The two sat next to each other, knees touching, but oddly separated. The atmosphere was more awkward than anything.

 

Taemin sighed to himself and risked a few peeks at Minho, who was looking straight ahead.

 

Minho, on the other hand, felt his face grow warm as he noticed the younger stealing glances.

 

The silence was finally broken when Taemin coughed very intentionally.

 

“So, um… How was school today?”

 

He uncrossed his long legs so that they stretched out in front of him, allowing their bodies more contact. Minho glanced back at him.

 

“Oh, uh, the usual. Boring.”

 

He looked around awkwardly as he too shifted his body so that he could get closer to his younger friend too.

 

“Right…” Taemin mumbled in reply, nodding.

 

Conversations like these had become more frequent, and their friendship had seemed to plateau. They didn’t not like each other- it was the contrary, actually, but neither really knew how to act around the other anymore.

 

“Taemin-”

 

The younger boy looked up at his hyung with curious eyes. Minho’s mind blanked as he realized he had no idea what he wanted to say. All he could focus on were Taemin’s brown eyes, his pink cheeks, his slightly parted lips…

 

“Hyung?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter