01

Facts from Fiction

"I love you, Park Chanyeol."

Baekhyun wrote the words at the window after being fogged by his breath, and which, right after, was drawn with swirls and designs. He smiled at his artwork, admiring it. However, his masterpiece slowly faded , slowly making the smile--that was plastered on his face--fade as well.

What a cozy view, he had thought.

The stores that lit up the seemingly dark day, the people that were scurrying back and forth doing there own business--everything seemed normal. Everything except for the aforementioned observation: the dark clouds enveloping the sky. Grayish? No. Black with some streaks of bluish white light. Lightning, maybe. 

Oh, it's going to rain, for sure.

A soft chuckle escapes his lips at that thought as another one crossed his mind.  

The clouds were reflecting me. Isn't it great?

He was silent. He made little to no sound as the car moved. Jongdae must have noticed the unusual Baekhyun because when he called the latter, the boy nearly jumped out of his seat. 

"Come on Baekhyun. That is so not you," Jongdae said while keeping hsi eyes on the road. 

"W-what?" Baekhyun asked, confused. "Nothing's wrong..."

"Nobody asked if something is wrong, Byun."

Jongdae's words slapped him. He was right. That was, very much, not like him. 

"You really love Chanyeol, don't you?" Jongdae spoke, now looking at him through the rear mirror. 

"Of course." The answer came out as a reflex. Of course.

Of course...

"That's why you're wearing that tux. Why did I even ask?" the other chuckled.

Yes. He was wearing a tux, and they were heading to the church on that day. Why?

Because I love Chanyeol

Just then, his phone vibrated in a heartbeat pattern. Giant, he instantly thought. 

"Where are you, Baek? T__T"  it said. 

"I'm on my way. Isn't the girl always late? ^__^"

"Stop it, Baek."

What? Stop it? Then suddenly, he felt a prick on his eyes. Why was this even happening to him? He shouldn't really think about this. Really. 

"Screw that, Baek. I didn't mean it. I really need you here x__x"

Baekhyun froze. "We're close. Giant."

 

~~~~~

 

After a quieter ride, they finally arrived at the church. It was not that luxurious, though. The church was more like a vintage-type. People were gathered in front of the church door and were busy with their own business. Some were running (Must be the organizers, he thought) while some were busy chattering about random things such as the weather and how beautiful baboon butts were. 

Not long after he got off the car, a woman, maybe in her early 20's, approached him with a clipboard on her hand. 

"Excuse me, sir, Byun Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun nodded. "Yes. May I help you?"

"I'm Taeyeon, one of the event organizers. Mr. Park Chanyeol says that the ceremony won't start unless you're here. I suppose you are his soon-to-be husband?"

Baekhyun felt a blush coming up, resulting to him cupping his heated cheeks. He forced a chuckle from the back of his throat. 

"Look at the invitation and you'll see, Taeyeon-ssi."

Taeyeon looked at her clipboard and her eyes widened. She looked at Baekhyun again. The latter just gave her a small smile. 

"I wish though."

He looked for his best friend in the crowd. He was sure he saw Do Kyungsoo on the invitation. After a few bumps (there's one which he nearly fell), he managed to get to Kyungsoo. His best friend threw him a bear hug the moment he got there, which made him earn a death glare from Jongin. 

"Baekie! We were waiting for you. All of us. What made you so late?" 

"You might want to ask Jongdae for that," Baekhyun chuckled. 

"Hey I was doing it for you."

Baekhyun stopped for a moment and looked at Jongdae, "I'm sorry."

His 'sorry' meant many things. He was sorry for not knowing that it was for him. He was sorry for being so numb. He was sorry because he couldn't return his feelings. He didn't know where and when it started. He couldn't even remember how they met each other. All he could remember was that Jongdae was there when he was crying. He already told the other that he was not sure if he could ever love him. Jongdae said that it was okay. Now, Jongdae's eyes were shouting. I'm here for you

"Come on, Baekie. The ceremony is about to start."

 

~~~~~

 

The entrance song started. If he could be right, it was "God gave me you". Everyone started moving. 

"Baekie, you sure you're okay?" Kyungsoo asked worriedly

"Huh? Yeah. I'm fine. Perfectly fine," he beamed but deep inside, everything was the opposite. 

"Come on. You know that you're not," his best friend deadpanned. 

Baekhyun just replied with a soft smile. "We're getting close. Be prepared."

"Okay, okay. I just have one question."

"What is it, Kyungie?" Baekhyun asked. 

"What did Chanyeol say to make you come here?" Kyungsoo said, seriousness obvious in his tone. 

Baekhyun gave his best friend another smile but it was quickly replaced by sorrow lingering in his sigh, "Nothing. I just want to." 

"You're crazy," Kyungsoo gave him one final look and then walked along the aisle as he linked his arms with Jongin.

Finally, it was his turn. he set his foot to work right, just like what he practiced for two nights. He smiled as he walked towards the altar. Then, something came to his mind. 

What if I was really your soon-to-be husband?

What if? What if he was the last one to walk and have Chanyeol wait for him at the altar? Baekhyun closed his eyes, still walking, and imagined that he was walking with a bouquet. He imagined that his mother and father was on his sides. Of course, Kyungsoo would be his bestman, and should be there. If there was Kyungsoo, Jongin would also be there. He also wanted Jongdae to be there if possible. Who else would be there? Ah, Luhan and Sehun! God, he missed them. Baekhyun wanted to continue imagining but to hell with it. He can't. Because even if he could carry on, he still needed to open his eyes and face everything. So he did.

When he opened his eyes, he was in front of the altar. Baekhyun turned to his left, where Chanyeol was. The latter was holding his laughter, his forefinger on his lips. Baekhyun made a face and turned his back to Chanyeol. That was it. This is reality

He dragged himself towards his assigned seat. Then, the music changed. The church doors opened dramatically as if it was a melodrama. Everyone turned to face someone who was walking slowly at the aisle. Well, everyone except Baekhyun, because he knew that it was Byunghun. 

 

~~~~~

 

Baekhyun bit his lower lip and closed his eyes throughout the ceremony but the words of the priest stung his heart and finally made him do the opposite. 

"Do you, Lee Byunghun, accept Park Chanyeol as your lawfully husband, that you would love him for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?" 

"I do."

Baekhyun couldn't take to hear Chanyeol say "I do" so he hummed, trying to ignore his surroundings. 

Just one day, if I can be with you
Just one day, if I can hold your hands
Just one day, if I can be with you
Just one day, just one day
If only we can be together

"And do you, Park Chanyeol, accept Lee Byunghun, as your lawfully husband, that you would love him for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?" 

Baekhyun could feel his eyes filling up to the brim. Come on, Byun Baekhyun. You're supposed to be happy for him. Everyone was anticipating Chanyeol's answer. Baekhyun was too. Only, his eyes were closed. He then felt someone tug his sleeve, which made him open his eyes. He saw Kyungsoo signalling him to look at the front. Confused, Baekhyun obeyed only to see Chanyeol looking at him. He quickly wiped those tears that almost escaped his eyes and smiled. His heart was screaming out loud because of pain and was telling him to run, but no. He didn't. Instead, he forced a smile--the smile that reflected all the pain he had. He made up his mind. He was going to run... after this

He nodded.

"I do."

In a blink of an eye, Baekhyun sprinted his way towards the exit. He didn't even had the time to care if everyone's attention was on him. He just knew one thing. He wanted to runaway from the pain. 

 

~~~~~

 

One step after the other, water splashed around as Baekhyun's heavy steps carried him away from the church. He didn't even care if the droplets of water hit his milky skin. To some, rain was a blessing from the heavens since it signified life and purity. For Baekhyun, the sky was crying with him. The sound of thunder was his booming heartbeat, trying to scream out loud. He didn't care anymore. He just wanted to get out from there. His breathing became faster, his endurance failing him. No... 

I'm slowly slipping away...

With a small thud, he did fall down to the concrete sidewalk, with his arms and knees cushioning his fall. His tears overflowed from his eyes. He couldn't stop it anymore. His tuxedo drenched in the rain. He rested his head onto one of his arms as he sobbed. He didn't have the energy to move. He didn't have anything to protect himself from the rain. He didn't have anyone to lean on now. If he were a kid, he wouldn't feel all those pain. He wanted to turn back time, and return to being his mother's child. His mommy that hugged him when he was crying. His mother that cherished him for who he was. 

Mommy... Mom..

Mom......

Mommy? Mom?!

Baekhyun opened his eyes and sprang up. He was sweaty and he noticed that his eyes were shedding tears. No. He didn't have time for this. 

"Chanyeol? Giant? Where are you?!" Baekhyun cried as he searched the whole room.

He even checked under the bed. None. There was no Chanyeol. 

"Chanyeol..." Baekhyun whispered, still crying. And he repeated. And again. And again. 

Mantra

 

~~~~~

 

Chanyeol was typing his report. God, it was so tiring to be an officer in the marketing. He looked up and massaged his neck a bit. he was about to return to what he was doing when he felt his phone vibrate. He checked who was calling and his phone screen revealed someone who was precious to him. 

"V?" he questioned. 

"Dad! I have something to--" What the?! I don't have time for this... I still have work.

"Not now, V."

"But Dad!--"

"Park Taehyung. You are already 16 years old and--"

"Mom's looking for you! He is going crazy and I don't know why. Mom kept repeating your name! He kept on crying and shouting."

What the hell happened to my princess?

He was hurrying towards the parking when he heard someone calling him. He turned around to see who called and also to know why. But his mind was racing. I gotta hurry

"What is it, Taeyeon-ssi?" 

"Would you please go upstairs and--"

"I'm sorry. I can't," Chanyeol blurted out.

He half-sprinted towards his car but then Taeyeon followed his pace and called him again just when he was about to jump into his car. 

"I just..... need... you to..... Phew!..... Sign this then." Taeyeon spoke in between her panting, and her hands on her knees. 

Chanyeol felt bad but he had no time to waste as Baekhyun was waiting for him, so he took the paper Taeyeon was holding then quickly wrote his name on it, finally hopping to his car after he did so. He started the car and quickly drove off. Taeyeon stared at the retreating car Chanyeol was in. He still haven't logged out, she thought. She looked at the paper Chanyeol signed but her eyes narrowed and her eyebrows furrowed She was sure she told Chanyeol to sign but what she got was someone's name. 

Park Chanyeol, who is Byun Baekhyun?

 

~~~~~

 

Chanyeol had wasted no time as he reached their house in six minutes. He quickly got out of the car (he made sure he locked it, though) and hurried inside. Taehyung, who must have been waiting for him, scurried to take his things (not that he has a lot, he just had a briefcase and suit). 

"Dad, where were you? In times like this, it would normally take you three minutes if you were in a hurry. But now, it took you six minutes!" 

His son frowned. He chuckled in his mind because his son kind of resembled Baekhyun in everything he did. He then saw Taehyung holding a glass of water while walking towards a room. 

"Come on, Dad. Mom's inside."

He followed his son to the room. Chanyeol already acknowledged Taehyung as his son even though he really isn't. It has been three years since they adopted him and the boy showed nothing but gratefulness and happiness. He then remembered everything that happened in the orphanage.

Baekhyun skipped inside the orphanage, leaving Chanyeol behind. The latter felt a smile forming on his face. The sight of Baekhyun made him giddy. 

"Giaaaaaaaaaaaaant! Oh my gosh. I'm so excited! I can't wait to see him," Baekhyun squishingly said, eagerness written all over his face. 

Chanyeol had the urge to cuddle Baekhyun, cup his cheeks and squish it but he thought this wasn't the appropriate place to do so. They were then greeted by the caretaker. 

"Good morning, Yoona-ssi," Baekhyun bowed 90 degrees. 

Chanyeol bit his lower lip. Stop being so cute damnit, he thought. 

"Good morning to you too, Baekhyun-ssi," Yoona bowed, "Follow me. He is waiting for you."

"Thank you. Oh my gosh, Chanyeol. Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh.."

Baekhyun swung their linked hands lively. And yet again, Chanyeol was resisting the urge so he gulped. They were at the door when Baekhyun stopped. 

"Okay. Did I forget something? Eyeliner, check. Teddy bear, check... Wait. Where is my phone?!" Baekhyun said as he scoured his bag.

Chanyeol was about to say that he left it at the table when Baekhyun looked at him teary-eyed. 

"Princess, you left it at home," Chanyeol said as he wiped Baekhyun's tears, "Use mine instead, okay?" 

Baekhyun nodded and faced the door. He patted his head and straightened up as Yoona opened the door and led them to their seats. 

"Taehyung, they're here."

The boy looked up to see them and quickly stood up to bow. 

"G-good Morning..."

"Waah! Good morning Taehyung!" Baekhyun clasped his hands together as his eyes sparkled, "I'm Baekhyun and this is Chanyeol."

"I-is he your boyfriend?" Taehyung said, still looking down. 

Chanyeol was about to say yes but Baekhyun beat him to it.

"Soon-to-be husband," Baekhyun beamed. 

Chanyeol heart slammed to his chest. He looked like he was about to say something but he wasn't able to do so. He didn't know how to react. 

"Damnit," he growled. 

Both heads turned to look at him, eyes with shock. He groaned.

"Ch-chanyeol?" Baekhyun looked at him with scared eyes. 

To hell with it, he thought as he quickly pecked Baekhyun on his lips. He reutrned to his seat with a flushed face and glanced at Baekhyun. His lips were slightly parted, and so was Taehyung's. 

"Look Princess, I resisted, okay? I couldn't help myself," Chanyeol sighed. 

He felt the air getting heavier by the second as he looked down and fidgeted. Baekhyun cleared his throat and returned to Taaehyung. 

"Ah yes so, here I bought you a teddy bear, because the paper said you really loved one and-- ugh. Wait a second,."

Chanyeol felt soft lips on his cheek. It was his turn to be shocked. He then turned to see his princess fidgeting. 

"I resisted too, okay?"

Chanyeol grinned. He was about to kiss Baekhyun again when he heard the boy in front of them clear his throat. 

"U-uhmm... Are you sure you want to adopt me?" 

Baekhyun's head shot up. "What makes you feel like that?"

"Well.. Others backed out because of my age. You see, I'm already 13 and--"

"So?" Chanyeol interrupted the boy. "It doesn't matter."

The boy looked at them with shining eyes and not long after, tears rolled down. 

"Th-thank you so much.."

The three of them bid Yoona goodbye after the couple was done with his papers. They headed to the parking lot cheerfully. Chanyeol was behind the two who were playing with each other and the sight of them really made Chanyeol's day. However.... 

"V, you look like your mother."

Realizing what he had said, he covered his mouth he mentally slapped himself when two heads turned to him. Again...

"Is V my nickname now?" Taehyung asked, smiling, "Don't worry, I know you're talking about mommy Baek, Dad."

Taehyung opened the door and walked to Baekhyun. It broke Chanyeol to see Baekhyun hugging his knees while crying. He quickly approached Baekhyun and wiped his tears. He was surprised, though, when Baekhyun quickly wrapped his arms around his neck. 

"Chanyeol," Baekhyun said, his voice hoarse and throaty, "Chanyeol."

"I'm sorry princess. It took me long. I'm here," Chanyeol Baekhyun's forehead, "I'm here."

"Don't leave me. Never leave me," Baekhyun spoke as he buried his face on Chanyeol's chest. 

"Now, now, Princess. You know I can't--"

"Yah!" Baekhyun hit his chest, his face still buried in it. 

"I was just kidding," Chanyeol patted Baekhyun's head. "Look, Taehyung's here to give you water."

The sound of Taehyung's chuckle made Baekhyun shoot up. Taehyung set the glass above the small drawer.

"Come on, Dad. This wasn't what I expected this to be. I imagined you and mom..." Taehyung trailed with a suggestive grin. 

"Yah, Park Taehyung!" Chanyeol furrowed his brows. However the boy just stuck his tongue out. 

"You asked for it, son."

And he chased him. Baekhyun just smiled. 

Guess it really wasn't real....