like rainbows and dew drops

whispers in the wind [and other drabbles]

"life is temporary. just like the faded rainbows that bloom after a heavy downpour, and the dew drops on cold mornings. it disappears all too quickly."


on certain days, minseok finds a handsome young man staring at him. he sits idly by the window, sipping his cup of coffee. he’s often deep in thought, eyebrows furrowed into a bushy clump yet minseok finds it strangely alluring. there’s this bizarre feeling bubbling from the pits of his stomach every time the man gazes at him longingly. minseok finds himself ensnared in those beautiful hazel irises. and he falls. he falls deeply in love with the man he barely knows. minseok forces himself to straighten up. no one ever wanted him. and no one will. as if he could hear minseok’s thoughts, the man looks up with a sad smile on his face. since that day, the man disappears, for weeks. just as he was starting to like the beautiful stranger, the man leaves him to drown in his own confusion.

after what it seems like an eternity, the man finally shows up, looking so haggard; exhausted. the lively aura around him, the bright hazel eyes, the endearing smiles; all gone. his sunken eyes flutters shut whenever he rests his head on the table. he no longer orders second servings of blueberry pie or his usual cup of wiener melange. only on some occasions, would the man look at him and smile weakly. this time, minseok gladly returns it warmly instead of averting his eyes away shyly.  that thursday morning, the man walks straight to the counter to order a cup of his specially brewed wiener melange, leaving minseok all pink and flustered.

the man hands him a ten dollar bill, adorning minseok’s favourite smile on his face. so beautiful, minseok thinks aloud without noticing it until the man chuckled.

"i’ve forgotten how you look like when you smile," he turns away, hiding the dusty pink tint across his cheeks.

"and you’re cute when you’re blunt," the man adds quite awkwardly. "i’m junmyeon."

"minseok."

the man nods. “come on a date with me?”

minseok nearly spills the freshly - specially - brewed coffee that was in his grasp. the man laughs again; a soft breathy laugh unlike his best friend, luhan. it takes a whole lot of his (inadequate) courage to say ‘yes’. he detects the faint traces of mirth in the man’s voice.

"well then minseok-ssi, i’ll see you tomorrow."

minseok could still smell the lingering scent of junmyeon’s masculine cologne after he left the cafe.

 

 

months later, minseok discovers himself, sitting on a bench next to the tour bus booth, all alone. junmyeon had promised to meet him that day to take him out on a date. it had almost been two hours. minseok shivers, snuggling deeper into his warm leather jacket - a gift from junmyeon himself - as the temperature slowly drops. his phone starts to ring. it’s junmyeon at the end of the line, sounding so weak and tired. minseok feels scared all of a sudden. scared of losing the man he loves.

"minseok, remember the time when you told me how temporary life was and i wouldn’t believe you?" his voice was raspy.

"of course. i would never forget that day." minseok answers. that day was special. it was the day they had their first kiss.

"well, i believe you now. you should know that i never regret meeting you. i love you with every single bit of my heart. i’m sorry for not being with you right now." in the midst of ragged breathing and someone chastising, the line went dead.

his heart comes to a halt. the days after junmyeon’s last call, minseok had been curling up into a ball, crying his eyes out. even luhan couldn’t comfort him with the stewed duck he makes.

"maybe something came up?" luhan suggests. minseok hurls a pillow in his face. luhan ducks it effortlessly from all the soccer training he had.

"i’m just scared. it sounded like a goodbye," he mumbles in a small voice. a pair of sinewy arms wrapped around his torso, warm and comforting. but it wasn’t the same as junmyeon’s hugs.

it will get better, luhan says.

minseok nods weakly.

i hope so, he replies in a soft voice.

 

 

spring came early that year and minseok finds himself missing the longing gazes from a certain someone. he misses brewing coffee - the specially brewed wiener melange with lots of love. minseok heaves a defeated sigh. three months has passed. but still no sign of junmyeon. the small ounce of hope in his heart evaporated long time ago.

the doorbell rings and minseok’s head snapped up immediately. he sees it, the same endearing smile he loves. and he runs towards the pair of opened arms which enveloped him in a warm hug. the masculine scent he grew addicted to, invades his nostrils. his senses heightened. the way he nuzzled his face in his chest, elicits a chuckle.

"junmyeon," he sighs rather giddily. "i missed you so much."

"me too," the man replies with the same amount of love minseok has for him.

junmyeon went through a heart transplant and almost died.

"i was so scared i couldn’t see you anymore. you were right all along. life is temporary and i shouldn’t waste it away.”

minseok’s face crinkles into a smile when junmyeon captures his lips in a passionate kiss. he pulls away all too quickly though and minseok frowns when junmyeon got on his knees. he pulls out a tiny black box and opens it, revealing two exquisite yet simple silver rings.

"will you, kim minseok, spend the rest of your life with me?"

it takes a whole lot of his (inadequate) courage to say ‘yes’.


two drabbles in a day. i'm tired. goodnight. this isn't edited whatsoever so pardon me for the mistakes. almost 1k here