For That, Love Would Always Have To Be True

Threads

Sorry sorry. Warnings: definitely ual harassment and some violence.

 

For That, Love Would Always Have To Be True


 

D.O never thought he would resent anybody for doing their job too well but an hour into his evening with Moon Junghyuk and friends, he wishes that the white pill would wear off enough for him to feel, at the very least, tipsy. Unfortunately, Tao had been right about their chemistry department and he finds himself the only sober person in a room of drunk, depraved men.

Whatever initial interest Moon Junghyuk had shown for D.O seems to have disappeared. Kibum is practically sitting on his lap, continuously pouring shots for the banker, and shows no indication of leaving his side any time soon.

Jonghyun, Taemin, and the shorter of Junghyuk's friend, Minwoo, are playing bartender by making gross cocktails and daring each other to drink them. They look like friends having a good time rather than paid companions and D.O can't help but feel a little envious of their fun despite the bit of fried chicken skin he saw Jonghyun drop into his drink. To make matter worse, Junghyuk's taller friend hasn't stopped touching him all night.

While Kibum giggles at something Junghyuk said and Minwoo offers Taemin 50,000 won to drink what looks like vomit in a glass, the man wraps a hand around the back of D.O's neck and whispers into his ear, “what are you doing after this?”

The smell of alcohol on the man's tongue burns his eyes. “I'm not sure,” he says. “I have a lot of homework to do.”

The man chuckles. “What kind of homework? Maybe I could teach you a thing or two.”

He feels the man's dry lips drag slowly across his cheek, toward his mouth. He knows what's coming next and tries to prepare for it but when he feels the other's hot breath against his lips, he jerks back. “Excuse me,” he mutters and stands up.

He isn't sure if the other boys witnessed what almost happened but he can definitely feel their stares as he scrambles toward the door.

The empty hallway is an absolute haven compared to the room and D.O takes a breath that’s too deep. He feels dizzy and puts a hand on the wall to steady himself. He wonders if the pill is starting to wear off but he suspects it’s an effect of the man’s groping.

He knows he needs to go back into the room but he can’t bring himself to return to the noise and smoke and sense of entitlement by men with money. It fuels his disdain for the world he's infiltrated, the belief that he is different somehow. He’s here on a mission, after all. He just needs a little more time to regroup and achieve his objective.

D.O finds the bathroom and splashes some water on his face. Characters on T.V. always do that when trying to settle their nerves but it doesn’t seem to help at all since D.O can still feel his heart pounding like a jackhammer in addition to the water seeping into his shirt.

He checks his pocket to make sure the plant for the phone hasn’t gone missing. It’s there along with the red pill for Junghyuk. He has half a mind to give it to the man instead – what was his name – but it’s not a serious thought.

The door opens and from the mirror, D.O can see the man he most wanted to avoid stumble in behind him.

There you are,” he says and lurches forward. “I've been looking for you.”

D.O turns around to face him. “I was just about to head back.”

You don't want to go back now. Junghyuk is still singing and he's terrible.” The man steps closer, blocking his path and trapping him against the counter. “It's nice and quiet in here. We can talk.”

D.O stays silent, afraid that anything he does say will further encourage him.

You know, I don't mind indulging Junghyuk every once in a while and getting boys instead of girls even though I've only ever taken your girl colleagues up to rooms before,” he continues. “I've just never been interested in any of the boys that Madame Kim sends us.” He snakes an arm around D.O's waist. “But you're so cute. You've provoked my curiousity.”

D.O pushes at his shoulder and but the man is bigger than him and stronger in the way that drunk men become. The edge of the counter digs into his lower back. “Get away from me,” he grunts in irritation.

The man tugs him forward and completely closes the space between their bodies. D.O’s spine goes stiff and he jerks his head back so that the man’s face isn’t so uncomfortably close. “I’m not interested in an unwilling partner,” the man says, “so if putting up a fight is your thing, you can drop the act now.”

For all his words, the man’s actions imply something different. He only tightens his hold around D.O as the agent pushes again.

"There’s no reason to be so coy. What do I have to do to convince you? Tell me and I’ll do it. Your wish is my – ” He yelps and loosens his grip.

D.O yanks himself away and falls against the side of the stalls. He had stomped on the man’s foot. Not one of his most graceful maneuvers but he’s free. “I have no intention of doing anything with you so you should just stop.” He tries to keep his voice even and polite but isn’t sure if he succeeds.

The man, having recovered, turns red at the rebuff but doesn’t say a word.

D.O figures he’s dismissed and starts to walk past him but the man catches him by the arm and slams him back against the stall.

Do you have any idea how much one of you ers cost just to prance around and pour us drinks?” he hisses. His fingers are curled painfully tight. “You have no right to tell me what I should and shouldn’t do.” He raises his other hand and swings his open palm at D.O’s face.

D.O’s entire head wrenches to the side from the impact and he might have fallen had the man not been holding him up. He’s never been slapped before and he’s stunned, more than anything.

You’re ing disgusting.” The man seems even more angered by his silence. He grabs the lapels of D.O’s jacket and shakes him. “You worthless piece of .”

D.O continues to stay quiet as he’s thrown to the floor, his cheek bouncing off a chipped corner of tile. The first kick to the stomach takes him by surprise and he groans.

I should kill you right now, do your mother a favor.”

He’s ready for the next kick and it doesn’t knock the air out of him but it still hurts. He doesn’t retaliate even though he knows he could. But he can’t if he wants to get anywhere near Junghyuk’s phone.

Well, at least he doesn’t want to me anymore. Now he just wants to kick the out of me.

The man uses his foot to turn D.O on his back. “.” He crouches and grabs a fistful of D.O’s hair. “That’s all your good for.”

In a flash of panic, D.O is afraid that he will change his mind about unwilling partners. He can take a beating but he refuses to be . He can and will fight back if it comes to that.

But the man is satisfied with the damage he’s done and lets him go. His shiny black shoes squeak loudly as he walks away and disappears through the door.

D.O lays motionless for another minute, breaths quick and shallow. His stomach and ribs still hurt and he’s aware of something wet sliding down his face, toward his ears. He reaches up to touch it and his fingers come away wet with blood.

He sits up and feels dizzy after laying on the cold floor for so long. But even after his brain reorients itself, the heavy sensation in his stomach doesn’t go away. He feels so terribly lonely and a sob rises in his chest.

He misses Kris. He misses his parents. And, strangely, he misses Chanyeol. Compared to the floor of a basement brothel, Kyungsoo's bed is like home.

The bathroom door opens so slowly that the hinges don't make a sound and D.O doesn't realize he's not alone until he hears someone speak.

Sumin?”

The voice startles him and he looks up.

Junghyuk is in the doorway and seeing the state of his face, he quickly comes forward and drops to a knee. “What happened? Are you okay?” His hands are surprisingly gentle as they examine the wound on the apple of his right cheek.

I...I'm fine,” D.O stutters, thanking the universe for this small miracle. He blinks and the tears that had gathered at his eyes finally fall.

No, you're not.” His thumb wipes the tears from his left cheek, the one unscathed. “Did someone do this to you?”

D.O makes sure to glance away before looking down. “It's not that big of a deal,” he replies instead of answering.

Who was it? Was it Choongjae?”

Oh, so that's the man's name. He finally remembers.

D.O chooses to stay quiet again, letting Junghyuk draw his own conclusions.

That ing bastard,” he swears and makes to stand up but D.O's hand shoots out and latches onto his forearm.

Don't say anything,” he begs, creating a fresh batch of tears. “Please. I don't want any trouble.”

D.O can tell that Junghyuk is a kind man despite his philandering ways and isn't surprised when the banker simply nods.

If you wait here, I can get some water from the front desk.

D.O doesn't have to fake the emptiness of his short laugh. “That's not really the kind of drink I need right now.” He lifts a hand toward his face but quickly lowers it before his fingers can make contact with his open scratch. “I-I'm sorry. I know you paid for my time but I don't think I can go back to that room. Could you please just tell the other boys that I'm not feeling well?”

It's not your fault. He's the one who needs to leave. I'll – ”

If you kick him out, the other boys will know that something happened and they'll tell Madame Kim. He's your guest. I don't want you to get in trouble either.”

Junghyuk really is a kind man. Or a fool. “Alright then. Come on. Let's get you cleaned up.”

 

*

 

Junghyuk's room is unexpectedly luxurious considering its single purpose. Most men would be content with just a bed but D.O is surprised by the French style linen sofa set, big-screen television, and breathtaking view of Seoul. Even in a hotel like the Rosemont, they must have more basic rooms.

I'll get us some drinks.” Junghyuk says. He walks over to a dark, wood cabinet and opens the door with a little brass key.

D.O wanders over to the window and looks out.

From such a distance, the differences between this city and his own are practically unnoticeable. A similar view used to greet him when he had late night meetings at the Center of the Institute and he and Kris would walk extra slow to the elevators just to savor it.

Junghyuk appears beside him and hands him a glass of ice and dark liquor. “It's amazing, isn't it?”

Yes,” D.O agrees quietly. “It really is.”

I always request a room on the highest floor available,” Junghyuk says in a way that's not a boast. “Seeing the city from up here, it's so calming. All of my worries about work and people just...fade.”

D.O takes a sip of his drink even though he knows it won't affect him.

Come on.” Junghyuk gestures toward the sofas. “We should take a look at your cheek.”

They sit side by side on the longer sofa, their drinks set on the coffee table. “It's not bleeding,” he observes. “That's a good sign but I think we should put some ointment on it anyways.” He stands up. “There's a first aid kit under the sink. I'll go get it.”

D.O works quickly. He removes the vial from his pocket and silently pops off the lid. Making sure that Junghyuk is occupied with his search, he tips the pill into Junghyuk's drink.

It dissolves immediately and by the time Junghyuk comes back, D.O has put the empty vial back into his pocket.

Junghyuk balances the open kit on his lap. “We'll need to disinfect it first,” he says, tearing open an antibacterial wipe. “This may sting a little so please don't hate me.”

D.O doesn't even twitch as Junghyuk carefully removes the dried blood. Next, he uses a cotton swab to dab some ointment on the cut.

You're doing really well,” Junghyuk praises. He presses a tiny band-aid over the cut. “All done.”

Thank you,” D.O murmurs. He picks up his drink and the banker does the same. “Do you think it will scar?”

He had asked it somewhat awkwardly which gives Junghyuk an opportunity to think of answer while taking a long gulp of his drink.

I don't think so but even if it does, you'll still be beautiful.” An equally awkward answer and Junghyuk finishes his drink.

Now all D.O has to do is wait. “May I use your bathroom?” he asks.

Junhyuk nods and D.O excuses himself.

He may not be impaired but the liquid from everything he drank that night has built up in his system. He takes his time in the bathroom, washes his hands thoroughly and checks his reflection. His hair has fallen from his half- attempt at styling it which makes him look even younger. He checks his watch. Four minutes have passed.

When he steps back into the room, Junghyuk has moved from the couch to the bed. He's fully clothed but the way that he holds his hand out makes D.O doubt his previous judgment of him. Perhaps he had other, less honorable intentions than just tending to D.O's wounds.

(Should the mobile phone be compromised, the target cannot trace its origins back to the mission. He must remember the night as another dalliance at the Hotel. Do not proceed with the objective until the red pill has taken effect.)

Six minutes. He should be able to stall any serious attempts at ual activity for that long.

 

*

 

It's been ages since D.O has been intimate with another person and he had forgotten how much can happen in six minutes. By the time the pill takes effect, his jacket is on the ground, shirt open, pants ed and low on his hips, lips swollen from Junghyuk's kisses and he can already feel a hickey starting to form on his neck.

D.O leans forward from where he's straddling Junghyuk's stomach and checks to see that he's still breathing. The banker had been amused by D.O initiative to change positions and be on top but the truth is that D.O had not wanted to be trapped beneath him when he finally passed out.

Once assured that Junghyuk isn't dead, he climbs off of him and begins his search for the phone. He glances around the room, buttoning up his shirt and pants. The phone had not been in Junghyuk's pants pocket which means its somewhere in the room.

He doesn't see any suitcases or bags which makes sense since Junghyuk is not from out of town. Still, he should have a coat or jacket of some kind. He opens the closet and as expected, a light coat is hanging from one of the hotel's hook. He finds the phone in the left pocket and sits down on the couch to work.

The plant is tiny, nearly invisible; a single thread of gold wire only a few millimeters long. Its set in a peice of matte tape that blends in perfectly once pressed into the back of the battery. D.O returns the phone to the coat and closes the closet door.

He takes the bottle of whiskey from the mini-bar and pours it down the sink until only a quarter of the bottle is left which he puts on the coffee table. Junghyuk's shirt is rumpled on the floor and his pants are already half-way down his legs. Moving carefully so not to jostle him awake, D.O strips him until he's only in his underwear. He takes a few condoms from the nightstand, tears them open, and immediately throws them in the garbage.

He's not worried about the fact that the condoms are unused. Junghyuk will wake up tomorrow with the worst hangover of his life and chances are he will not look too closely at his trash.

The main objective has been accomplished. Now he just needs to get out of the hotel without running into the other boys or Junghyuk's friends.

 

*

 

It's 4:27 in the morning by the time D.O gets back to Kyungsoo's apartment. He's expecting darkness and silence to greet him but when he opens the door, there is light streaming from the kitchen and the bubble of boiling water.

Chanyeol appears in the doorway. At first, he looks amused, probably not used to seeing his roommate coming home at such an unrespectable hour. But his eyes flicker to the band-aid on D.O's cheek and he immediately rushes over. “What happened? Are you okay?” he asks, voice overflowing with concern.

Yeah, I'm fine,” D.O replies, turning away from Chanyeol's attempts to examine him more closely. “It's just a scratch. No big deal.”

No big deal? But what if it leaves a scar?”

Then I'll tell everybody that I got it while rescuing a baby from a burning building which is cooler than what actually happened.” D.O takes a cup from the drying rack and fills it with tap water.

Chanyeol frowns. He steps up behind him and slowly bends forward until his nose is practically buried in D.O's hair. He sniffs. “Are you wearing a new cologne?”

D.O nearly drops the cup. “Yeah, its a sample I picked up from COEX,” he says and gulps his water in an attempt to disrupt the conversation. “Now if you're done interrogating me, can I go to bed?”

Are you going to tell me what happened?”

No.” Without turning around, he slides away from Chanyeol. “Good night.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Thank you for reading. Please comment/subscribe/vote.

I'm toying with making Chansoo a thing in this fic. If any of you guys have thoughts on this, please leave your opinions in the comments section.