MINSEOK

Threads

Warnings: a teeny bit of swearing, a little bit of violence.

 

First Thread - Minseok

 

‘This is bull’ Minseok thinks. ‘I don’t even like mountain hiking. I should be at home, enjoying a beer and playing Diablo…ah crap, Luhan is probably wondering why I haven’t signed on yet. I’m never listening to Tao again.’

The flashlight in Minseok’s hand flickers twice before completely fading out, leaving him with only the sparse bit of moonlight filtering through the thick summer leaves. “Tao,” he calls. His voice sounds tiny, even to his own ears. “Tao! Where are you?”

 

 

Thick, humid silence pulses in response.

 

 

Minseok sighs and swats away a mosquito buzzing around his face, wondering how he ever let Tao talk him into a late night excursion. He considers abandoning his friend, who he hadn’t seen in ten minutes because he deemed Minseok too slow and marched on without him, when a pinprick of artificial light appears ahead.  

“Hyung, hurry up!” Tao holds the bulb of his flashlight under his chin, illuminating his strong features. “I’ve been waiting forever” he whines.

Minseok huffs but proceeds to climb toward him. “I’m coming as fast as I can. This better be worth it.”

“I promise it’s the best view in all of Seoul.”

“That’s what you said about Namsan tower.”

“Second best view in Seoul then.”

Minseok finally comes close enough to grab Tao’s outstretched hand. He lets the younger, more energetic man pull him towards the summit.

 

 

The crest of the mountain levels to a flat expanse of rock and hard dirt. “So where is this amazing sight?” Minseok asks, wiping his hands on the legs of his pants. Tao points and Minseok cranes his neck to follow the gesture.  

The end of the plateau descends sharply and Minseok is careful not to stand too close to the edge. After the near pitch-black of the forest, the white and yellow and red and purple and blue lights of night-time Seoul glare too bright for Minseok to look at directly. But his eyes quickly adjust and the towering, phosphorescent buildings pull into focus.

He breathes in. He detects faint hints of petrol, fried food, garbage, the stench of humanity in general. Somewhere, a car horn rips through the night. He can’t help feeling a little disenchanted with entire experience.

But a miraculous breeze sifts the air, delicious in the oppressive heat. His next breath cleanses his disappointment and he suddenly understands why Tao likes this view so much. Something about the distance, the way the cars and buildings look like a model city-scape, soothes him. All his problems seem insignificant from that vantage point.

Minseok feels Tao step close to him and rest a hand on his shoulder.

 

 

 

For a long time, neither of them say a word.   

 

 

 

“Hyung, how long have we known each other?” Tao finally ask softly. He sounds sad, a jarring departure from his customary cheerful demeanor.

Minseok thinks. “Almost four months?”

Although he feels as if they have known each other for much longer. Minseok doesn’t make friends quickly and doubts that he and Tao could have become close if the Chinese exchange student hadn’t stubbornly barreled into his life. What started out as a tutor-tutee relationship morphed into hour long study breaks, coffee runs, drinking soju until neither of them could remember their names, and, apparently, midnight hikes into the mountain. He notes how much Tao’s Korean has improved in such a short time and feels pretty pleased with himself.  

Minseok chuckles while recalling an eventful night involving a club in Gangnam, tequila, triplets from Canada, their identical boyfriends, and a vespa. “Hey Tao,” he says, turning. “Do you remember – ”

Tao wrenches him into an unexpected embrace. “Hyung.” His breath tickles the sensitive skin around Minseok’s ear. “I’m sorry, okay?”

“What are you talking about? Sorry for what?” Minseok tries to pull away but Tao grips him closer. 

That’s when he feels it: a sharp prick on the left side of his ribcage. A cold rush of air. Another stab of hot pain. Tao holds him the entire time, even when his knees buck beneath him.

“Don’t fight it. You’ll only hurt worse.”     

Minseok’s throat burns as something forces its way up. He tastes the iron on his tongue before it spills out between his lips. It fills his mouth, stealing the space for the oxygen he needs. “Tao,” he manages to gasp. “What…”

He leans back and expects to hit the ground hard but Tao lowers him gently. Stars fill his eyes. His sides knit together painfully with every breath, each one shallower than the last. Tao mumbles a lengthy monologue but Minseok only catches pieces of it. His hands find a rip in his body, warm and damp on his fingertips.

 

“…it’s better, for you, I mean…

...I tried…

...I told them you weren’t a good candidate………

…..not supposed to know………

……..I’m sorry………

….…if I were to take you back…..

.....I’m really sorry…”

 

Minseok wants to close his eyes and erase the image of Tao’s tear-filled gaze but he fears he would never be able open them again if he did. “Help,” he pleads. Or he thinks he does. He can’t be sure because he can’t feel his lips.

Tao weaves his fingers, slick with blood, into his own trembling hands. It’s a small gesture of comfort but it comes too late.

The stars dim. Beneath the haze of adrenaline, Minseok feels a fingertip running along his cheek and jawline. He holds on for as long as possible.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, hyung, I’m sorry.”

 

 

*

 

Hyukjae kept Minseok after Mandarin lab one morning. “How do you feel about making some extra money?” he asked.

Minseok lifted the straps of his bookbag onto his shoulders. He hesitated. “That depends on what you have in mind.” Knowing the intro level Mandarin TA, he expected something involving swallowing a of drugs or dancing for old men in night clubs.

Hyukjae laughed. “Don’t worry. It’s nothing weird or illegal. I know a Chinese exchange student that’s looking to improve his Korean. He’s willing to pay generously for private tutoring.”

“Oh.” Minseok hoped the relief on his face wasn’t too obvious. “I’m not sure. I’m pretty busy these days.”

“It’d only be a few times a week and his schedule is flexible. At least meet the guy before making a decision. Maybe he can help you with your Mandarin and you can form one of those symbiotic relationships.”

Minseok figured there was no harm in just meeting the exchange student. And he could always use the extra money. “All right….when is he looking to start?”

“As soon as possible, I think. I’m not entirely sure. His Korean is atrocious.” Hyukjae started packing up. “His name is Tao. I’ll let him know that you’re interested and text you with the details later.”

 

 

Minseok attended his other classes, got a bite to eat in the cafeteria, studied for a few hours, helped his aunt at the restaurant during the dinner rush, and went home. He had just stepped into the apartment where he lived with his aunt when his phone buzzed.

 

[TA Hyung 10:13 PM]

Tomorrow 1PM at Kiki Café. Look for someone tall with dark circles. Cool?

 

Initially confused, Minseok belatedly remembered his earlier conversation with Hyukjae. He replied with a quick confirmation before taking off his shoes. He still had an hour until his aunt came home after closing the restaurant. He trudged to his room and flung himself on his bed, torn between immediately falling asleep and attempting to use his free time productively.

He considered calling his mother or his father in Daejeon. He hadn’t spoken to them in almost three weeks which wasn’t unusual. He loved his parents but could not bear the probing questions about school and his non-existent love life. He hadn’t been on a date in almost six months. Not since Hyun broke up with him, explaining that she didn’t want to leave for England with strings attached.    

He refused to wallow and flip through old pictures of him and Hyun for the 100th time. He opened his books and studied for a few more hours, taking a break only when his aunt brought him a small plate of sliced fruit as a snack. At a quarter past midnight, he washed up and went to sleep.

 

 

The next day, Minseok arrived a little earlier than planned to Kiki café. The shop was popular with university students. Groups of smartly dressed young men and women chattered while enjoying over-priced, over-sweetened coffee drinks.

Minseok sat alone at a table for two. He tried to ignore the conversation happening at the table behind him but their voices begged to be heard over the soft jazz playing from the speakers. Apparently, Soojee got so drunk at the bar last night and went to a hotel with some guy and when she got home, she realized she had forgotten her underwear ha ha ha. He began to remember why he didn’t have many friends.

The bell over the door chimed and Minseok looked up. He knew right away that this young man had to be the exchange student.

Look for someone tall with dark circles.

Minseok just hadn’t expected the dark circles to be under such fierce eyes and for his lips to be set in a scowl. Small spikes dangled from both his ears and complimented his torn, black jeans. From the way he scanned the room with narrowed eyes, and the lazy jut of his hip, the presumed Tao looked as if he would rather be anywhere but  a quaint coffee shop.

Dread crawled down Minseok’s spine. Just as he contemplated slipping away, hopefully unnoticed, Tao’s gaze fell on him.

The intense stare softened into half-moons and the corners of the frown lifted in elation. He strode towards Minseok, an eager spring in the way he stepped. “Minseok-oppa,” he greeted, accent thick and awkward. “It’s so nice to meet you.”

Minseok hardly noticed Tao’s mistake, shocked by the sudden and total transformation that had taken place in front of him. He nodded, mouth slightly open liken an idiot. He quickly glanced over Tao in what he hoped was a discreet manner but the Chinese student noticed and nervously smooth down his shirt.

“What?” he asked, combing his hair with his fingers. “Is my face wrong…I mean, not okay?”

Minseok managed to pull himself together and smile. “No, not at all,” Minseok assured him. “You’re Tao, right?”

“Yes, I am Tao.” He gestured toward the counter. “Something to drink?”

Minseok nodded and stood up. They walked up to the register where Tao laboriously ordered a sweet potato mocha latte with an extra pump of syrup. Minseok ordered an iced Americano and pulled out his wallet to pay for both the drinks.

“No, no,” Tao protested. “I…I…” His brow scrunched into a look of painful confusion, unable to find the correct words to explain himself. His lips gathered into a frustrated pout.  

“It’s fine.” Minseok handed the cashier a 10,000 won bill. “You can get me next time.”

“Ah, next time?” Tao’s eyes widened. “So you’ll help me?”

Minseok paused. He hadn’t planned on making a decision right away but under Tao’s expectant and hopeful gaze, he found refusal impossible. “Of course,” he said as he received his change from the cashier.

Tao bounced on the balls of his feet. “Okay, next time!” He smiled. “Next time.”

 

*

 

Tao slips the headphones over his ears and adjusts the microphone. He’s late. The countdown has already begun and the steady, high-pitch beeps bounce against his eardrums in a seemingly unending cadence.

 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

The beeps stop. The too-bright lights at the head of six poles standing in a hexagon formation beam towards the same center spot. What starts at a low hum gradually crescendos to eardrum splitting levels and then –

Nothing. For a fraction of a second, the universe falls completely silent. It happens to quickly for anyone to notice unless they are listening for it.

 

The lights grow dim and from the center of the hexagon, a young man stumbles forward. He falls to his hands and knees, back arched from labored breathing.  

Tao rushes over and helps him to his feet. “Are you okay?”

The young man lifts his head and Tao has to bite his lip to keep from screaming. He looks into the face of a ghost and his sanity suffers from whiplash as he remembers that he actually knew Xiumin before he met Minseok.

“Yeah, just a little dizzy.” Xiumin straightens up and leans his head back. “New hairstyle?”

Tao flicks the fringe away from his eyes. He knows what the other agent is really asking. He’s supposed to blend in, not stick out but his newly bleached hair invites second glances. “Just something I’m trying,” he says with a shrug. He slides the headset so that the band dangles around the back of his neck. “This is everything.” He holds out a plastic baggie containing a cell phone, wallet, and keys.

Xiumin takes the bag and pulls out the cell phone. He uses his thumb to unlock the screen, the blue-ish glow bouncing off his round features. “It’s pretty primitive,” he remarks.

“Believe it or not, this is one of the newest models that exists here,” says Tao.

Xiumin smirks and pushes the slim phone into his back pocket. He looks around the space which is empty except for the six poles. “So where is he? Is Eunhyuk bringing him?”

“He – ” Tao clears the knot of sadness and fear in his throat. “There were complications. I’ll be going back to the Institute alone.”

“Oh.” Xiumin blinks. “Alright then.”

‘Typical Xiumin,’ Tao thinks. He can never tell what the reticent young man is really thinking, an issue he shares with the Minseok.

‘Shared with Minseok.’

 

Xiumin lifts his hand and slowly reaches for Tao’s throat.

Tao jerks back and glares. “What are you doing?”

“Sorry,” says Xiumin, his voice infuriatingly even and detached. “You’ve got a little bit of blood right here.” He demonstrates on the hollow dip below his own throat.

‘ing hell…typical Xiumin.’

 

 

 

A/N: Thanks for reading.