Restrained

I'm Okay

Florescent light invaded my eyes though the slight slit my lids managed to provide. My senses began to slowly awake and I registered the potent smell of antiseptics and a constant beeping noise. Ugh, there was something in my nose. I managed to bring a heavy hand towards my face where my sleepy digits detected the offending object. My fingers fumbled with it, managing to pull a tube away. I finally unsheathed my eyelids completely to be greeted by white walls and medical equipment. Shifting my gaze to the right I found a man with his arm wrapped around a woman. They both appeared to be asleep. Their faces registered in my brain as Siwon and Jiwon as the events of the past two days unclouded themselves.

A tear made a trail down my face. No! I didn't want this! I didn't want them to see me like this! Why I cared what they thought of me, I had no idea, but I did. Now I would just be some stupid girl who let a man control her life. That's what I would've thought if I were them. Before he came into my life I remember thinking that I wouldn't waste a second glance on a guy who would lay a hand on me. But it didn't happen like that! He was so good to me! I had caused him to become like this. It wasn't his fault.

I had to go back.

I yanked the IV from my arm along with various other equipment. A loud tone erupted from the machine beside me and adrenaline pushed through my veins. Siwon and Jiwon stirred suddenly, disturbed by the sound. I had to leave, now! I scrambled off the bed as shouts filled the room.

"Minhee! You need to lie down!" Jiwon's eyes were wide and concerned.

No. I do not need to lie down. I need to get the hell out of here.

My bare feet slapped the tile as I made a run for the door only to have Siwon's large body intercept me. His hands enveloped my wrists, preventing my fists from flying. Doctors suddenly poured in behind him. A scream erupted from my throat as their hands restrained my thrashing limbs. Another doctor came at me with a syringe in his hand and I dedicated every ounce of energy in my body into freeing myself to no avail; the sharp point of the needle pierced my skin and a fog quickly filled my brain as the liquid plunged into my veins. The last thing I could register was small hand brushing over my forehead and a soft voice whispering soothing words.

 

 

 

 

There was something in my nose again. I lifted my arms to remove the discomfort only to realize that I couldn't move. I tried my other limbs. Material held down both my wrists and ankles, shackling me to the bed.

"Minhee?" I recognized Jiwon's voice and I opened my eyes to meet hers. She must have seen panic appear in my eyes because she began soothing me. "Minhee, it's alright now. No one's going to hurt you. Please stay calm, okay?"

My head nodded, almost on it's own accord; a strange feeling of trust surged through me. Maybe the sedation hadn't completely worn off yet.

"This officer needs to ask you a few questions about what happened. Is that okay?"

Again. I nodded compliantly. A female doctor appeared behind Jiwon, beside the officer.

"Miss, I understand that you're not family." She spoke softly, referring to Jiwon. "So I'll have to ask you to leave while we discuss." Jiwon's eyes scanned mine, checking for my reaction before nodding and exiting the room, closing the door softly.

The officer took out a notepad and pen, clicking it once. "Can you describe the person who did this to you, Miss Tan?"

Images of the perpetrator flashed through my mind. "I don't remember."

The officer sighed in response and glanced towards the doctor. The doctor took a seat beside me.

"Miss-- Minhee, we found that you have several broken ribs, a concussion, severe bruising, and several lacerations." She paused. "But that's not all we found." She sighed and took a deep breath. "X-rays showed dozens of previous fractures and injuries. This must have been going on for a long time."

I was filled with indecision. They knew something was up. I could tell them about everything. Maybe I should finally fess up and stop living like this.

"I--" My voice was cut off my the abrupt opening of the door.

"Why the hell is my girlfriend tied down to a hospital bed?!" He roared. He quickly made his way over to me and grasped my hand. "What's going on?!"

"Your girlfriend was attacked." The officer glanced at him suspiciously. "She's trying to remember what happened."

"Nae sarang," Love and care filled his voice. "Tell them. Tell them what kind of monster did this to you." His hand tightened painfully around mine.

My eyes met the officer's and I said the only thing I could.

"I don't know."

 

 

 

Annyeong! I'm sorry I haven't updated in a long time. I won't bore you with excuses but I will try to update regularly now. I know this is a short update so I'm going to try to make another short-ish one today. Joesonghamnida! Please give me feedback, it's very encouraging to know what people think of my story.