Nae Sarang

I'm Okay

Aware of my sore stomach, I ate carefully. Conversation floated around the table as the meal progressed. I discovered that, at 22, I was the youngest of everyone there.

"Minnie-ah, do you attend school here?" Heechul asked.

"Yah!" Siwon shot him a glare. "You've just met! Are you so close?"

"Oh, it's fine. All of you are my seniors; please refer to me however you like." I interjected.

"This guy, really." Heechul muttered, referring to Siwon. "Minnie! Call me oppa!" He continued with a smile and wink, to which Siwon replied by glaring before shaking his head and sighing.

"Oh-- ah-- ne...  Heechul O-oppa." I stuttered, not used to the term. "I attend school here. Do you also?"

"Ne! I'll have to keep an eye out for you on campus!" He exclaimed.

As breakfast came to an end I reached for a few plates to take to the sink and clean. Jiwon's hand stopped mine.

"What are you doing? You are the guest; please sit."

"Oh, I couldn't. It's the least I can do since you've looked after me." I insisted. I felt in debt, especially to Siwon, since I kind of, you know, punched him in the face.

"Looked after? These stupid boys did no such thing!" Her accusatory glance swept across the table meeting each of the alleged offenders. "Yah! What are all of you doing still seated?! Up, up!"

"Ne, noona." They groaned in chorus as they began to clear the table and do the dishes.

Jiwon placed her elbows on the table and interlocked her fingers, creating a platform for her chin to rest on.

"I think we are going become good friends Minhee. Let's meet often; from now on, think of me as your unnie." I nodded my head quickly in agreement. Something told me Jiwon was not the kind of girl you argued with. She glanced at her watch and frowned. "I have to get going. Don't hesitate to ask any of the boys for something." Before I could interrupt she continued. "Don't worry about the clothes. I'm sure we'll meet again soon and I can get them from you then. Please call me if you need anything." She stood up briskly before ruffling my hair exiting the apartment, throwing a goodbye over her shoulder. I hadn't gotten her number so I assumed it was just a polite sentiment.

I quickly realized my situation. I was alone in a house full of older guys who I'm sure were busy. I should take my leave quickly. I grabbed my clothes, wallet, and sunglasses from the bathroom and made my way into the kitchen where the guys had just finished cleaning up.

"Erm," I cleared my throat and bowed deeply. "Thank you for your hospitality. I'm very sorry for my misunderstanding. Please accept my apology. I'll be on my way now." 

"Wait!" Siwon called out. "I feel really bad for scaring you. Please give me one moment to change and I'll walk you home." I opened my mouth to protest and he replied with a piercing stare. "Don't move." Stunned by his sudden command, I obeyed.

He returned quickly, clad in a pair of straight, dark wash jeans, a t-shirt and cardigan. His long strides met me quickly at the door and we both slipped our shoes on. Siwon held the door open for me to exit.

"Thank you. You really don't need to walk me home; I'm sure you have better things to do." I reasoned.

"Nonsense. I'm sorry that I can't drive you but Kangin is leaving soon and needs to borrow my car. Walking you home is the least I can do after giving you such a fright."

"Well, thank you." I conceded, feeling that I shouldn't argue. "Oh um, is your ah, face ok?" I stuttered.

"Yeah don't worry about it. Although for your size you pack quite a punch!"

I blushed, embarrassed, not sure how to respond.

The rest of the journey was filled with a comfortable silence, only interrupted occasionally with small talk. We arrived in front of the apartment I inhabited. Even in my mind, I couldn't refer to it as my own. Suddenly I recognized a familiar car in the lot.

"This is it! I'll let you go, thank you again." I bowed and quickly began walking towards the apartment. His footsteps followed me.

"Let me at least walk you to the door."

Unable to conjure a suitable argument I ducked my head and continued up the stairs. As I reached the door, I turned to face Siwon.

"Thank you." I bowed.

"Anytime! Oh and..." I started awkwardly, reaching his hand up to run his fingers through his hair. "I, uh, hope you don't mind but Jiwon added her number to your phone. Sorry, I know she's kind of... forward."

"Not at all!" I doubted I would ever contact her but I appreciated the sentiment. "I'll uh, see you around I guess." I mumbled awkwardly, stumbling over my words. I stepped into the apartment, closing the door quickly, before he had a chance to reply. My eyes squeezed closed as I leaned my back against the door, bracing myself.

"Nae sarang (my love), where have you been?"

"Nowhere really." I responded carefully, hoping to satisfy.

"I asked you where you have been. Give me a proper answer." His stern, threatening tone, which usually forced me into submission instead stirred me into rage.

"I wouldn't have been out if you hadn't stolen my medication." I snapped.

"What was that?" It was very odd. I should be frightened right now, but my anger grew.

"I'm sorry, what I meant was: why in the hell did you take my meds?!"

His eyes lit. I had done it now. But for some reason, I didn't care. I kept going.

"What? Did you use them to get high? Or maybe you sold--" I was cut short by a slap that sent me to the floor.

"Who do you think you are to question me?!" His voice echoed through our apartment.

"Why do I take this from you? I'm so tired of you. Will you hit me again? Go ahead and try. I'm leaving." As I pulled the door open I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment wash through me. Suddenly a large hand reached from behind me and slammed the door closed. His other hand s around my waist to the door knob and twisted the lock closed.

"And where exactly will you go?"

Where would I go? I was frozen. Terror rushed through me. I had no where to go. No one knew me here. No one would notice if I disappeared, I had abandoned everything at his command. He had total control over me. I couldn't overpower him; there was no one to go to for help; I was alone.

A sudden blow to my cheekbone woke me from my reverie. 

"I thought I had taught you before, nae sarang." He sneered. "Neon nae geoya. (You are mine). No one else cares for you like I do."

He helped me up, surprising me. That was it?

A sharp pain to my stomach told me this was just the beginning.

"Are you okay? Let me help you up nae sarang." He pulled me into a standing position again, only to continue his assault. A tear slipped from my eye. "Minhee? Why are you crying?" His arms lifted me again. This time his foot shot out and swept my legs from underneath me. "Ahh, you're so clumsy Minhee-ah, what are you doing on the ground?" When his hand came down to pull me up, I grasped it.

"Yoen-in (sweetheart), please." I pleaded, resorting to endearment.

"Please what?"

"L-let's not fight. How about I make you lunch? Whatever you want."

"What an excellent idea!" He pulled me to himself, holding me tightly. "I'm in the mood for kimchi fried rice." He kissed the crown of my head and released me.

I immediately began preparing as he sat down on the couch and flipped on the TV. I fixed the meal as quickly as possible, avoiding making any noise that would disturb him. I don't know where my bold streak came from but I tucked it away and resumed my normal exterior. I served the steaming dish out onto a plate and grabbed a beer from the fridge. My steps approached him hesitantly and I offered him the meal.

"Oh, what's this?"

I checked over everything quickly. It looked fine; I had removed the cap from the bottle, provided a napkin and utensils. My eyebrows scrunched in confusion. His hand shot out and gripped my jaw.

"I asked for japchae." He growled.

"Ani, you--" He threw the plate to the floor sending shards and steaming food over me and the carpet.

"I think I know what I said." He sent his beer down calmly and began to strike me, leaving no part of my body untouched.

He continued as I cried out in pain, knowing no one would hear me. Finally his beer bottled cracked down on my skull. I felt liquid pour over me head; whether it was blood or beer, I couldn't tell. My vision began to fade in and out as I slumped to the ground.

"Omo, look at the mess you've made. I'm going out now, you should clean this before stains set it." I made out the sound of the door closing.

Dizziness began to overtake me as I fumbled for my phone. It was hard to make out the names in my contact list but I eventually found it. 'Jiwon unnie' I tapped it and placed the device to my ear. The ring sounded muffled, almost as if I was underwater.

"You've reached Choi Jiwon please leave a message after the beep and I'll get back to you!" Her sweet cadence chimed in my ears and the tone sounded.

"Unnie, you said to call if I needed anything." Words were hard to pronounce and I could hear myself slurring. "I--" I what? What could I ask of her? I was in her debt already. I realized my mistake and fumbled for the 'end call' button. Drowsiness flooded over my senses and I let it take me.

 

 

Please enjoy and review! I know this chapter was tough, please stick with me!