Aura

I'm Okay

I searched through the drawers and cabinets for the fourth time as if somehow it would magically appear. Seriously?! Not only was the prescription gone but somehow there were no painkillers in the house. I had a feeling I knew who to thank for that. Fine. I could run to the drugstore. 

"No... No no no! Aish!" There was no way I could drive like this. The aura in my left eye prevented me from seeing clearly and I certainly did not have the time or money to get into an accident. My only option was to walk; the nearest drugstore was about a mile and a half away; would I even get there in time? The beginnings of sharp pain in my temples told me I didn't have any option. I grabbed some cash and slipped on my most tinted pair of sunglasses before stumbling out the door.

Each step seemed to take an eternity. I could make it there right? Yeah, definitely, ohh who was I kidding? I needed something now before everything went downhill fast. This obnoxiously loud music was not helping me think! I stopped dead in my tracks. Obnoxiously loud music? That meant a party. Sure enough there were beer cans littering the yard of one of the off campus houses. Score!

By the looks of it no one would notice an uninvited guest. The place was packed and no one stole a second glance at me as I made my way through the crowd into the house. A strong smell of alcohol invaded my nose and although my sunglasses protected my eyes from the few lights that were on, my ears were vulnerable to the heavy bass emanating from speakers. I winced and took a deep breath. Find a bathroom. After opening several doors to unsightly scenes I finally encountered what I was looking for. The pain grew stronger. I yanked all of the drawers and cabinets open, not even attempting to be discrete. I rummaged through everything. 

"You have got to be kidding me!" I slammed the cabinet shut causing pain to shoot through my skull. Of course, they had probably locked all of their medications up so someone, aka me, wouldn't steal them. How considerate. Vertigo began to creep through me as the dull ache grew stronger with every thud of my heart. I stepped out of the bathroom without bothering to put anything back in order. 

"One shot! One shot! One shot! One shot!" Several shot glasses were laid out on a wobbly card table surrounded by college age kids. Without thinking I swooped in a grabbed one. Anything to keep the pain at bay. The liquid burned a trail down my throat as the noise became even more unbearable. My hands flew to my temples as I stumbled out of the room in search for shelter from the unending thump of the bass. I needed something between that sound and my ears. My steps became less confident as dizziness overcame my senses. I fumbled at the first door knob my fingers landed on and quickly closed the door as I flopped down. Fabric grazed my skin indicating I had chosen a closet, which was providing little relief. My hands were pushed firmly against my temples and ears in an attempt to dull the sound and the pain. I felt a hot tear roll down my cheek from under my glasses.

Suddenly light flooded into my retinas through my sunglasses and clenched eyelids and a muffled voice found its way into my ears.

"Oh! Hey, are you ok?" Great.

"Mmhm, yup. I'll just get out of your way." I stood shakily, supporting my hand on the wall, before making what I'm sure was an incredibly graceful exit. A hand grasped each of my arms causing me to immediately jump back. Apparently, I was going to have to open my eyes to navigate. Shocker. I turned away, pried open my lids and began to stumble towards the front door I had originally entered in.

"Woah, wait!" The same voice called from behind me. A hand locked around my wrist as my feet hit the sidewalk. I pulled away without effect on the strong grip. My eyes made there way up the strangers body to a face. Although the aura in my eye prevented me from making out much, I deduced that my captor was a man with dark hair standing a bit taller than six feet.

"Look, I'm not trying to cause any trouble alright, I'm leaving!" 

"Let me call you a cab, where are you headed?" His hand released my wrist to reach for his phone. I took my opportunity and fled. Ok, so fled probably isn't a very accurate description, staggered is probably more factual. I made it a few yards before rushed steps sounded behind me then fell in sink with my own. "It's not safe to walk by yourself this late and you don't look so good. Just let me--"

"Gee thanks, but I'm really--" My voice was cut off when my foot caught on the stupid uneven sidewalk and I braced myself for impact, but instead of cement, a pair of muscled arms greeted me.

"Really what? Ok? Doesn't seem like it." He helped me to my feet and handed me my now destroyed glasses "Though wearing sunglasses probably isn't helping you to avoid large obstacles like... sidewalks."

"These stupid sidewalks are uneven! I don't know who designed these stupid-- hey where do you think your leading me to anyway, I am not--"

"Here, sit." I did as instructed, but not because he told me to! I just felt like sitting. The cool metal of the park bench felt heavenly against my burning skin. This was a good spot. Disregarding the stranger's presence I laid down as shivers wracked my body. "Do you need to go to a hospital?"

"No!" The sound of my own voice came crashing down on my ears, making me gasp in pain. "Just let me lie here, ok, I'll be- ah." A small groan escaped my lips as pain radiated through my head. A sigh reached my ears shortly before two arms s under my shoulders and behind my knees. I made futile attempts to push against the man chest. Tears slowly leaked from my eyes; the pain was too much. I gave up on struggling and buried my face into his chest.

 

 

 

 

Thank you for reading! Please give me feedback in regards to writing style, length, etc.! I look forward to hearing from you, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter!